[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

Kim Jung Hyun’s agency posted a new vlog, I don’t understand what he’s saying but his cute face is enough :love:

v2qYR0O.png
MK4jw5F.png
hXsrMHg.png

Even without makeup his complexion is sooooo enviable! Zoom in and look closely at the last photo - his lips are quite chapped there. You know why? Probably because this was right after they filmed a kissing scene (he’s wearing that servant outfit) and Shin Hye Sun kissed him until his lips went dry!!! LOL :naughty:

Spoiler

Mb0ESyJ.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

2 minutes ago, aisling said:

Kim Jung Hyun’s agency posted a new vlog, I don’t understand what he’s saying but his cute face is enough 

Even without makeup his complexion is sooooo enviable! Zoom in and look closely at the last photo - his lips are quite chapped there. You know why? Probably because this was right after they filmed a kissing scene (he’s wearing that servant outfit) and Shin Hye Sun kissed him until his mouth went dry!!! LOL 

He looks extremely hot in that outfit. If I'm Shin Hye Sun, we gonna have many NG for that scene hahaha

SORRY NOT SORRY:tounge_wink:

Spoiler

How many times did you re watched this scene?:P

When we will we get another scene like this?:tears:

credit to the owner

:luvarrow:

credit to the owner

Poor all Hans LOL

credit to the owner

But actually our queen is one of Won Bin biggest fan.

credit to the owner

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, enzek said:

He looks extremely hot in that outfit. If I'm Shin Hye Sun, we gonna have many NG for that scene hahaha

SORRY NOT SORRY:tounge_wink:

Hide contents

How many times did you re watched this scene?:P

When we will we get another scene like this?:tears:

credit to the owner

:luvarrow:

credit to the owner

Poor all Hans LOL

credit to the owner

But actually our queen is one of Won Bin biggest fan.

credit to the owner

Well perhaps not a lot of person kmow Han Tae Seok or even Won bin. Not in the same generation though. lol

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 김진주 said:

Well perhaps not a lot of person kmow Han Tae Seok or even Won bin. Not in the same generation though. lol

Haha you're right.

That drama was the earliest Korean melodrama that I had watch other than Winter Sonata and Stairway To Heaven. The older generations that watch Korean dramas especially peoples from the Southeast Asian countries know about Song Hye Kyo not from Full House or Descendants of the Sun but from Autumn In My Heart LOL

Just imagine how their child would turn out to be with the parent like this:wub:

credit to the owner

But I really think that they won't show us their child in this version like the Chinese version:tears:

Spoiler

credit to the owner

Well, for anyone that still doesn't know yet

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Our queen is also excited:D

credit to the owner

Yes Your Majesty go tell them who's the boss!

credit to the owner

As So Bong herself said "the beginning of bullying from Mother-in-law":sweat_smile:

credit to the owner

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, aisling said:

Even without makeup his complexion is sooooo enviable! Zoom in and look closely at the last photo - his lips are quite chapped there. You know why? Probably because this was right after they filmed a kissing scene (he’s wearing that servant outfit) and Shin Hye Sun kissed him until his lips went dry!!! LOL :naughty:

his skintone is so bright, especially his nape more bright than his face. i have some bizzare-interested to someone nape T.T

i thought the same too, also speaking of kiss, his lips in drama after kiss scene when he sneaking around the house more pinkish and swollen lololol (though it could be that the timeline for taking the scene is not sequential)

10 hours ago, enzek said:

couldn't agree more, i more prefer him wearing this outfit (especially in this particular scene ehem) rather than in King's robe or King pajamas. he looks so hot, especially when Cheoljong pinned So Bong to the wall in her room, the sleeve slightly down to his elbow showing his arm when his hand lock SB. ommo! :rolleyes:

omg! how can i forget Han Woo Tak, the very first Korean Drama I watched. i dont realize that his clan name is Han. the curse is real, cant imagine the curse starting in Joseon era

• Like 2

Jo Hwa Jin's part is ridiculous at this point. Come on, even if she shoot the queen by accident, she should have lost her position as concubine and leave the palace as a felon.

Food looked so delicious, especially the dessert! I like how drama put cooking part as plot device, so it's not out of nowhere.

That explosion was out of nowhere. I wonder who did it? Kim Jwa Guen or queen dowager Jo?

I have noticed that Kim Jwa Geun never order dirty work to Kim Byeong In. It could be because he's the heir, but Kim Jwa Geun doesn't even mention his dirty plan to Kim Byeong In. Kim Byeon In has no idea about the food ruining dirty work. I wonder it's because Kim Jwa Geun knows that Kim Byeong In would not like the outright dirty plan.

• Like 3

@enzek Thank you for the IG.  There's a funny back story related to this IG for me.  At first I followed zzang_cowdragon since I saw so many photos of SHS.  Later Instagram "asked" me would you like to follow shinhs831 since you're following 김소봉 (Kim So Bong)? 

I was shocked for a moment. Whom did I follow? :lol:  Only then I realised that I followed our main character's account.

A summary of previous episode

Spoiler

Credit to tvN

• Like 6

“Please look forward to the ‘No touch’ couple’s romance, which will deepen in the midst of a crisis, as well as their fiery teamwork.”

They say this in every article they release for a new episode! I want proof, not just words! I want more than one face-to-face scene with them!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 1

Kim Jung Hyun Faces Bae Jong Ok With Fierce Charisma In “Mr. Queen”

3c3ecd286e26419a9874f96f181af11e.jpeg?s=

Jan 23, 2021
by L. Kim

tvN’s “Mr. Queen” revealed new stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

“Mr. Queen” is a historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul is trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty. Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the Joseon queen with the soul of Blue House chef Jang Bong Hwan trapped inside her. Kim Jung Hyun plays her husband King Cheoljong, who is a weak and ineffective king on the outside but is stronger and sharper than he appears.

Spoilers

King Cheoljong experienced a devastating taste of betrayal in the previous episode. He had big plans to restore the throne and destroy corruption in the government. He wanted to carry them out during the banquet, but they were hampered by those who didn’t want any changes. Kim Jwa Geun (Kim Tae Woo) successfully beat King Cheoljong at his own game, and King Cheoljong suffered from a dangerous explosion that almost took his life.

Now, King Cheoljong is back, and he has changed for good. The newly released stills give a preview of how he will no longer remain a puppet king. His gaze is fiery with determination, and he strides towards the throne with flaming charisma. King Cheoljong and Queen Sunwon (Bae Jong Ok) will have a fierce confrontation, and this time, he won’t be backing down as her obedient son. Kim Jwa Geun’s head is lowered, and the other government officials look stunned and confused by the king’s sudden transformation.

kim-jung-hyun4.jpg

mr-queen-11.jpg

The drama’s production crew said, “King Cheoljong will give a pleasant catharsis by finding his place in the palace. The truth about the explosion that happened at the banquet as well as an unpredictable twist will be revealed. Please look forward to the ‘No touch’ couple’s romance, which will deepen in the midst of a crisis, as well as their fiery teamwork.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1450302wpp/kim-jung-hyun-faces-bae-jong-ok-with-fierce-charisma-in-mr-queen

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aisling said:

Please look forward to the ‘No touch’ couple’s romance, which will deepen in the midst of a crisis, as well as their fiery teamwork.”

They say this in every article they release for a new episode! I want proof, not just words! I want more than one face-to-face scene with them!

I agree. I feel cheated each time I fell for their tricks!

• Like 2

“Mr. Queen” Cast Gets Playful In Fun Behind-The-Scenes Photos

894928feb62a4db9bfe12b2dac350002.jpeg?s=

Jan 23, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s “Mr. Queen” has shared a fun glimpse behind the scenes of filming!

The hit historical fantasy-comedy drama has been consistently delivering laughs and stealing new viewers’ hearts, achieving its highest ratings yet with its latest episode just last week. The drama’s unique sense of humor—plus the hilariously unusual romance between King Cheoljong (played by Kim Jung Hyun) and Kim So Yong (played by Shin Hye Sun)—has kept its viewers faithfully coming back for more.

In newly released behind-the-scenes photos from the set of the drama, the cast of “Mr. Queen” is all smiles as they joke around with each other between takes. While filming scenes for the eventful day of King Cheoljong’s banquet, Shin Hye Sun looks serious and focused as her character gets to work cooking in the palace kitchen—but she soon breaks into a smile when one of her co-stars bursts out laughing.

Shin-Hye-Sun.jpeg

Meanwhile, Kim Jung Hyun playfully poses for the camera while preparing to film his tense fight scene with Na In Woo, who in turn cracks up as he “attacks” his on-screen rival with his fan.

Kim-Jung-Hyun-Na-In-Woo.jpeg

Seol In Ah, who had her own thrilling face-off with Shin Hye Sun in the woods last week, similarly shows no trace of her character’s vengeful hatred as she cheerfully practices her archery off-camera.

The drama’s producers teased, “‘Mr. Queen’ has reached a turning point. Within these drastic changes, the true worth of the actors in the cast will shine through even more brightly.” They added, “In particular, please look forward to the fiery alliance between Kim So Yong and Cheoljong, who will join forces in order to escape danger.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1450269wpp/mr-queen-cast-gets-playful-in-fun-behind-the-scenes-photos

• Like 5

I haven't logged into Soompi forums for a long long while but this series has been quite interesting and made my fingers itch to post LOL

Apologies in advance, this will be long...

I saw the teaser and read that it was an adaptation of Go Princess Go and I was curious how South Korea would deal with the "male into female body + time travel/transmigration" trope. 

And I was a bit wary that they're using a real historical figure bec I got burned after watching Splish Splash Love with Kim Seul Gi.  I was so enamored with their love only to get a harsh reality check when she found out at the end that the emperor not only had concubines, he had a lot, and a ton of kids! Which aligns with historical fact I think.  Wow, talk about waking up from a pleasant dream LOL. Though sure, they did "meet" again in the present but it seemed like it diminished the effect she had on his life. 

I don't think Cheoljeong had a good run as a royal, so do I have to brace myself?

How are they going to steer this? They have those caveats beginning and end, that characters are not the real historical figures but how closely are they going to follow the outline of real events?

Ok, what I really care about is - are we going to get a happy ending???

KSH and KJH are doing an excellent job acting as well as the queen's attendants and the kitchen staff, a few eunuchs.  I miss CJH' voice over. So far, the production has done a good job of keeping us all interested and it looks like everyone had fun on the set.

From the beginning I've sympathized with the king's character bec he really was in an almost impossible position with minimal help and esp since he seemed to really want what's good for the common people, understandable since he lived like one. Yes, he was a jerk to the queen at first but there were convincing reasons. And he paid enough attention to her actions to realize he was wrong. That was a great sequence when he realized he targeted the queen bec she was the weakest and so he was doing what they have done to him. And he didn't want to be that person.

Bong Hwan/queen was a little harder to empathize with. He/she is very amusing and likeable but we don't know much about SY, even to this point, and BH is self-centered, arrogant. He was quite harsh with the maids and eunuchs forcing them to work day and night to fill the lake from a well (ridiculously impossible), quite dismissive and disrespectful of the Royal Chef who has decades of experience and seniority.  He doesn't really try to figure out what's going on in the court with the politics, adopting a strict hands off policy. If nothing else, he should know enough that the palace is a very dangerous place to live and he needs to be proactive and really know who's who (esp who SY is) and who's doing what to protect himself. A minor thing that stuck with me is when he used up all the expensive limited ingredients for his recipes (even milking all the cows leaving none for the calves) when he probably could figure out alternatives.

I've been waiting for growth in his character and we are past the half-way point and not much seems to have changed.

One can argue that even his increasing sympathy for the king might be prompted by the return of the Queen's memories instead of BH learning to be more empathetic, less self-involved.

We see a change and development in the king's character and arc but not with BH's except for the fusion of some of the queen's feelings/memories. It looks we might see some now but I wish the writers started this earlier.

As someone who has fallen into the rabbit hole of transmigration Chinese novels, I don't think BH is the same soul as the queen reincarnated.  Usually it was 2 separate souls and the one in the past dies and leaves behind memories and hands off their unfinished business to the one from the present who takes over.  I think the Queen is dead but that's just my theory.  But the more they add in these reactions to the king that are supposedly originating from the Queen , the more I'm kinda confused.

I find that them fusing is a bit too complicated but I guess there is the notion that SK will not go for an originally straight character getting "bent" and start to have feelings for the same gender. For me, this would have been more interesting but would be riskier and would take more balls LOL. 

But with things as they are, there aren't really enough real, honest, significant interactions between the 2 leads to support this development of feelings strong enough to move straight BH to fall for the same team...

So the "fusion of the 2 beings" helps the transition of a straight guy falling for another guy.  just fuse him with a female, problem solved.

But for me it's the easier choice, the path of least resistance. But it is less believable or supportable, so perhaps the lesser choice, for me anyway.

How do you fuse 2 separate souls? They have nothing in common, no personality traits shared, so the reincarnation idea doesn't cut it for me. It's not fair or just, for either of them.

It seems like BH is being taken over, losing control over his own feelings, thoughts and actions.

For SY, she's having to share space and ceding control of her own body to someone else.

A couple scenes struck me - the episode where they went out on the town and the one where they were on a balcony/terrace and he said that he does not expect her to be on his side but to just not be his enemy.  I think most of their interactions have served to change the king's perception of her - from hate and disgust for an enemy to now where he clearly has feelings for her.

But BH doesn't really pay attention enough, he's just not emotionally invested in what's going on around him, outside his concerns of surviving (thus kissing up to grand dowager) looking for the Han guy (for revenge) and trying to find a way back. Not for the hardship of the maids, eunuchs, common people, not for Cheoljeong, not for the power plays. Seems like he just doesn't really care or is only superficially interested.  Understandable before since he was expecting to return to the present in days but now that he doesn't know how to go back, shouldn't he care more?

There does seem to be some development in the latest episodes, BH/SY clearly looks at the Queen's father differently (cynically and with dislike) since he remembered he ordered the well covered knowing a boy was inside. He helped with the banquet after much hesitation and after seeing the stress on the kitchen workers and Cheoljeong.

I do wonder how much BH has remembered? Why is she still somewhat friendly with Hwa Jin if she remembered that Hwa Jin lied about who helped the king? I do hope he now becomes actively wary of her. You can't get more obvious than an arrow aimed at you. How much did SY really know of the goings on at the palace? And how much of this has BH remembered?

Have to cut this in 2

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

cont'd (I can get long-winded, so sorry)

They've done a good job mixing up the comedy and the intense political scenes except for some scenes that really doesn't serve the plot, mostly surrounding that happy go lucky guy who sent the letter to the wrong person. The funny bit with Court Lady Choi using the kaleidoscope to get the name of that Han guy was hilarious but also drove the story forward. The one with the love letter did not. Time and effort could have been used maybe with more scenes between the leads.

One thing that I wish I knew from episode 1 is how did SY react after BI kissed her? Did she push him back? Did she respond? It was left hanging. It might explain why BI is so arrogant and presumptuous with his actions esp after BH innocently said she missed him too (even though he had no idea who he was at the time)

Hwa Jin is such a jealous character. Even as a kid, she probably developed grudges and insecurity from being mistaken as SY when she was young and deemed less. I wonder if that story about getting closer to their dead mother by dying too was a deliberate ploy to get SY to attempt it. Which she did, luckily couldn't go through with it. Her constant sneering and contempt for the Queen is arrogant considering their social status is lower, and kinda stupid since the Queen has the Kims behind her. Even her shooting that arrow at the "prey" that the other concubines were chasing was telling. And shooting the arrow at the back of BH's head is openly showing her hostility. I am confused by this because as it stands, they all think the Queen has the backing of the Kims who is the most powerful faction and she believed that SY had the maid killed. It's a stupid move.

How much interaction did HJ and CJ really have after she led him away from the well?  Did they spend their childhood together? But wasn't he exiled somewhere remote and she grew up in the capital? How close is their relationship truly?

Even if Byeong In is getting overboard with his actions, at least one can see he really did have feelings for the Queen. He started from wanting to protect her though now it's morphed into forcing his perceptions of her feelings on her and jealousy and competition with the king.

I wonder abt Hwa Jin, I think it was just a case of her finally having something she "took" from SY and of course, desire for power and a sense of entitlement.. I almost gagged a bit when she essentially gave the King permission to have feelings for the Queen. I think she's forgotten who's the queen and who's the concubine. In a system where royalty are encouraged to have multiple wives, how can she think he will only love her? Or maybe it is more like, "anyone but her".

It really makes me wonder about their relationship, is it really a romantic love relationship or mostly they're close plotting partners and he's grateful to her for what happened in the well? She said she came into the palace purely to help the king but in reality is she's more of a burden (he had to save her in early episode, or rather BH had to save them both), the king's weakness they can exploit and a weak link they can influence.

I think Byeong In has to be careful he doesn't cross the line his father has drawn with his reckless acts bec I don't think he'll hesitate to take him out. He had that weird reaction when the grand dowager asked abt BI and told him they met.  He's not about to let go of his control on the queen dowager and give someone else influence..

Prince Y, is he really Cheoljeong's brother or cousin? I liked his expression when he watched the rice being taken by the starving peasants. He could have fought them off and rode fast back to the palace but in the end decided to just let them have it. He had this helpless, despairing look. Well done.

The explosion,  I thought was the dowager queen's surprise that she mentioned she had for the King. But theories have been posted here that it might have been a ploy by the King. Curious to see which it is.

When Cheoljeong was at the top of the stairs helpless and realizing that he cannot do anything nor change anything, it was heartbreaking. Him standing on his own at the top and crying just emphasized how alone he was.  He may have his 2 cohorts but no real significant, powerful ally to lean on. Everyone is against him. Even worse, none of these officials care for the people at all. They only care about taking, and keeping their power. It was touching when he prayed (begging the gods) for his country's well-being as he cried.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him reverse this in the next episodes. He's been on the losing end long enough. I want to see him win for once and put them all in their place.  And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing BH/SY finally consciously choose a side (the king's obviously) and stop being a bystander who occasionally helps.

Congratulations and much thanks if you've read this far! I guess I've bottled up 12 episodes worth of thoughts here.

Sorry for making your eyes bleed LOL.

Have a great weekend folks!

• Like 4