[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

Personally for me, I hope they did not consummate.

Romantic that I am, I would hope that both parties had joyously participated in the union. Not a 'did we or didn't we' scenario.

We will only know what really happened next week but we can see how So Bong has taken a liking to CJ (no matter how much he/she resists!)

I am more focused on Shin Hye Sun's portrayal of her character and so for me, whether it is Bong Hwan or So Yong who falls in love (or remains in love) with the King, I am not as bothered.

The King definitely became more interested in trying to figure out his Queen and I think that if So Yong had continued to live her life  (of being unhappy and lonely as the King did not love her, basically due to a misunderstanding) , she would still have a tragic end. Her usefulness may come to an end if she did not bear a heir, and Concubine Jo's position could be elevated if she did produce an heir with the King.

I feel sorry for the King because he is caught between the Kim Clan and the Jo Clan.

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

K-netz comments about ep 8. :kiss_wink:

Screenshot-2021-01-04-at-00.55.39-2048x9

1. [+451][-1] Her playing the gayageum (T/N: traditional Korean zither) whilst speaking is hella funny ㅋㅌㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+326][-0] I don’t think she had a mole under her eye, did on-site beautician (?) draw it there??

3. [+322][-0] There’s not much of Bonghwan left ㅋㅋㅋㅋ It seems that he’s gradually fully transforming into Soyong…

4. [+268][-0] Seriously Shin Hyesun’s acting is insane ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ She can carry everything with just one expression *shivers*

5. [+232][-0] ㅋㅋㅌㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I can’t believe he’s even losing his voice, the only thing he had ㅠㅠㅠ Honestly who is it now, Bonghwan or Soyong

Screenshot-2021-01-04-at-00.54.36-2048x8

1. [+674][-3] Soyong, who’s trying to get away, and her dad, who sits next to her however he can ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ That’s a realistic family

2. [+607][-1] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ ‘Oh no! My beauty mark’ ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋI’m going crazy, Shin Hyesun is hella cute

3. [+576][-1] ‘Oh.No.My.Beauty.Mark!’ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+423][-1] I can’t imagine who would have played this role if not Shin Hyesun

5. [+381][-1] Today was so funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ When he said ‘You were just rude’ ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Spoiler

Screenshot-2021-01-04-at-00.56.57-2048x8

1. [+675][-3] I can’t believe she was so shocked by the word fake, did she think she was the real one then

2. [+603][-1] Seriously, look at the way the concubine treats Soyong and then Cheoljong;;;

3. [+517][-3] Ah please get rid of Jo Hwajin quickly, ugh

4. [+438][-2] Look at how her expression changes.. Wow, she’s vicious, what’s she going to do if the King later finds out?

5. [+400][-2] It seems like Hwajin has turned completely dark now, even her makeup shows that she’s starting to go to the dark side… With eyeliner that has long, upturned ends and even thickening eyeliner

Screenshot-2021-01-04-at-00.46.35-2048x1

1. [+1675][-15] “I won’t be following ‘No Touch’ today”.. Cheoljong knew the meaning of ‘No Touch’ but pretended he didn’t in front of So-Bong ..ㅠㅠ This is true love

2. [+1441][-10] As expected, Korean dramas are the real deal from Episode 8 (T/N: often said because the relationship development usually happens at this point, which is generally half way through the drama)

3. [+1042][-17] I internally screamed ‘Don’t let Byeongin come in’ 5000 times

4. [+900][-3] He finally got the meaning of ‘No Touch’ right ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+861][-10] If he says he’s not following ‘No Touch’ and sweeps in like that, my heart flutters ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅜ

source: https://netizen-kore.com/2021/01/naver-tv-mr-queen-episode-8-comments-and-reaction.html

• Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

I’m actually very fond of “true love transcends time” trope. That’s why I would find it extremely romantic if BH and SY were revealed as the same soul.

No matter the gender they were born with and no matter the time... they would still fall in love with Cheoljong because that’s what love is. The same goes with Cheoljong. If the circumstances were different (the concubine wouldn’t fake her role in saving him, their families wouldn’t cut each other’s throats, etc.) he WOULD love So Yong. But the circumstances were too difficult for her to cope with. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

Anasyo. I marathoned this drama this weekend and I am totally hooked. I love, love, love the first female lead and the male lead I fell in love with from Time and Crash Landing on You, amongst others. I will start reading this thread and I hope I can join you in posting. 

Happy and Healthy 2021

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dramanoona said:

Personally for me, I hope they did not consummate.

Romantic that I am, I would hope that both parties had joyously participated in the union. Not a 'did we or didn't we' scenario.

We will only know what really happened next week but we can see how So Bong has taken a liking to CJ (no matter how much he/she resists!)

I am more focused on Shin Hye Sun's portrayal of her character and so for me, whether it is Bong Hwan or So Yong who falls in love (or remains in love) with the King, I am not as bothered.

The King definitely became more interested in trying to figure out his Queen and I think that if So Yong had continued to live her life  (of being unhappy and lonely as the King did not love her, basically due to a misunderstanding) , she would still have a tragic end. Her usefulness may come to an end if she did not bear a heir, and Concubine Jo's position could be elevated if she did produce an heir with the King.

I feel sorry for the King because he is caught between the Kim Clan and the Jo Clan.

I agree I hope they didnt consumate also I want her to be more sober and it being a special moment. 

I think it would be a very sketchy area if they consumate while shes drunk. 

• Like 6

This fanart is so beautiful

Spoiler

credit to the owner

Did everyone forgot about his censored book lesson?

credit to the owner

Look at how diligent he studied them before.

credit to the owner

Btw, I'm sure this is the motto Cheoljong applied when he's kissing So Bong in front of Byung In

how to lose a guy in 10 days GIF

credit to the owner

As So Bong mentioned to Cheoljong in episode 8 "You're a politician after all":smirk:

And this make me fascinated with our king character even more now.

• Like 8

On 1/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, rachel-moore said:

But as per wikipedia it is mentioned that the late king ( heonjong) was queen dowager's son  . I am confused

Yes you're right. Heonjong (the late king) was queen dowager's son. The queen dowager married Yi Yeong (Crown Prince Hyomyeong), great queen dowager's son and he didn't become a king. So after King Sunjo (great queen dowager husband), Heonjong was the next king, not Yi Yeong.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

I think Bong Hwan is slowlly leaving  from So Yong, or So Yong is finally overtaking her body.

The times where her expression changed when watching "her"King or at the last scene when tried to save him. That is why i think that the queen is returning. Her spirit is becoming stronger with the help of Bong Hwan. He is making her stronger.

Either this or the reincarnation theory. 

I know everyone is talking about the kiss, but  for me something else made my heart flatter.

-When the king said to the queen "dont be my enemy, i dont ask you to be my ally, but please dont become my enemy"

I found that quite sweet of him becouse he does not want to behead her. Obviously is feeling something.

-second, when the king brought her the flowers and we saw that flashback, i did not see only So Yong feeling something, the king's eyes were different as well. They were softer. Maybe something hapoened afterwards(Perhaps he got his nemory back after that)

Also at that scene we heard her heart flatter But i think it was not only her heart but his heart as well.

It was not onesided. 

-third, he unintentionally became distant/formal with the concubine.

He did not realise that his cocern is the queen now.

Fourth, how he save her from that guy who came for her maid, without hesitate for a second to act this way. And how really concerned he asked her if she is ok.

I think he started having feelings for So yong the very first time he met her , they are connected from a past anywise .(without him knowing of course or her).  But he is keeping his distance from her becouse of her clan.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, Annie12 said:

I think Bong Hwan is slowlly leaving  from So Yong, or So Yong is finally overtaking her body.

The times where her expression changed when watching "her"King or at the last scene when tried to save him. That is why i think that the queen is returning. Her spirit is becoming stronger with the help of Bong Hwan. He is making her stronger.

I know everyone is talking about the kiss, but  for me something else made my heart flatter.

-When the king said to the queen "dont be my enemy, i dont ask you to be my ally, but please dont become my enemy"

I found that quite sweet of him becouse he does not want to behead her. Obviously is feeling something.

-second, when the king brought her the flowers and we saw that flashback, i did not see only So Yong feeling something, the king's eyes were different as well. They were softer. Maybe something hapoened afterwards(Perhaps he got his nemory back after that)

Also at that scene we heard her heart flatter But i think it was not only her heart but his heart as well.

It was not onesided. 

-third, he unintentionally became distant/formal with the concubine.

He did not realise that his cocern is the queen now.

Fourth, how he save her from that guy who came for her maid, without hesitate for a second to act this way. And how really concerned he asked her if she is ok.

I think he started having feelings for So yong the very first time he met her , they are connected from a past anywise .(without him knowing of course or her).  But he is keeping his distance from her becouse of her clan.

I think the reincarnation theory holds more credence considering when Chef swapped back to his own body, nothing of the old Queen’s soul was mentioned or seen (even the old priestess didn’t say anything about two spirits inside the Queen’s body). Right now what the Chef is experiencing is the emotional information left by the old Queen. It’d been the same if the story was a standard amnesia story, all that emotional information would’ve resurfaced regardless despite the lack of full memory recall 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, tazmin said:

I think the reincarnation theory holds more credence considering when Chef swapped back to his own body, nothing of the old Queen’s soul was mentioned or seen (even the old priestess didn’t say anything about two spirits inside the Queen’s body). Right now what the Chef is experiencing is the emotional information left by the old Queen. It’d been the same if the story was a standard amnesia story, all that emotional information would’ve resurfaced regardless despite the lack of full memory recall 

Perhaps the queen is also in a vegetative stage? When the chef swapped back to his own boddy the Joseon doctor said that the queen is in vegetative stage. Maybe that's why we dont "see" the queen.

Her blood circulation and qi energy had gathered to the top of her body  so her spirit has left the body.

In order for her to start breathing again is for the qi energy to return. And they did that by giving her medical herbs and doing acupuncure.

So maybe her energy is gratually returning....

Anw i am enjoying  trying to understand  when and how!!!

• Like 6

I didn't originally ship the king and queen, but now that Bong-hwan and the queen's memories/thoughts are kind of "melding" together (however it may be,) and he's seeing the king in a new light, I totally want them to be together. I was already enjoying the dynamic of their wariness around each other slowly turning to hesitant trust, and now even moreso as the king asks her not to be his enemy and she attempts to come to his rescue. That kiss was super hot, though I assume he did it to hide the actual reason he was outside her room (though I do think he's having real feelings for her now also.) Given how conservative k-dramas tend to be, I don't know if they'll take the relationship route given that it's technically a man's consciousness, but I hope they do and gender just becomes irrelevant. 

Anyway, I've been enjoying the drama's humor so far but now I'm really liking the plot progression into darker secrets and past events. I really felt for the king as he had what appeared to be a panic attack at the sight of the well. I'm really curious what the deal is with the well. Kim Jung-hyun's acting is impressive, this is the third drama of his I've seen and each role has felt completely different. (Also, can I just say his body is absolutely bangin...!) 

(Oh, and one last thing, that location where the king and queen were eating overlooking the lush landscape was gorgeous! One of the best I've ever seen in a sageuk, I wonder where that is in real life.) 

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

After watching episode 8 I am almost sure that it's still Bong Hwan in So Yong's body. He said himself that her soul didn't come back. However, somehow he has her memories and experiences her feelings. He is as confused as we are I guess XD But it's still Bong Hwan, affected by So Yong's memories and feelings though. It looks like he got over the fact that he has to stay in Joseon. Anyway, I died when So Bong was like "How dare he try to hurt my poor king?" and came to Cheoljong's rescue and hold this vase aka chamber pot XD What a shame that So Bong mishit haha For now So Bong clearly pities the King. And his pity is genuine. He started to see Cheoljong in a new light. Did you guys see when he looked at him after Cheoljong said "I guess my fate is to be surrounded by those watching me"? He was confused, sad and worried at the same time. As for their night together. I guess that So Bong passed out due to shock and large amount of alcohol and Cheoljong just lied next to him cause he didn't want other people to know that he was up to something and that there was a fight. He will probably say that they broke the vase in the heat of the moment or something  XD Their night together is just a cover. And a reason to tease poor So Bong haha That's all in my opinion. Nowadays there is so much discussion in media about consent that I don't think they would put something like this in drama. I can't wait to see their outing and So Bong yelling that he is member of the King's fan club haha Important lesson for Joseon people, don't mess with the fandom XD

• Like 10

11 hours ago, aisling said:

I’m actually very fond of “true love transcends time” trope. That’s why I would find it extremely romantic if BH and SY were revealed as the same soul.

No matter the gender they were born with and no matter the time... they would still fall in love with Cheoljong because that’s what love is. The same goes with Cheoljong. If the circumstances were different (the concubine wouldn’t fake her role in saving him, their families wouldn’t cut each other’s throats, etc.) he WOULD love So Yong. But the circumstances were too difficult for her to cope with. 

Right.

The "love transcends time" and "they still fall in love with each other even in the different lifetimes" trope are so romantic to me too:fullofhearts:

And since the young So Yong is the one that actually saved the young Cheol Jong then they have childhood connection too but because of circumstances their relationship become bad.

Heartbreaking plead before the past So Yong jump in the lake:tears::tears::tears:

So Yong: "You should love me".

Cheol Jong: "Is that an order?"

credit to the owner

But now we know how Cheol Jong's heart is.

Spoiler

credit to the owner

6 hours ago, Annie12 said:

Yes, it is so sweet when he said that.

credit to the owner

After falling for her king, one of the way of So Bong helping him is by recruiting others member into the king's fan club.

credit to the owner

Text preview:

Spoiler

credit to the owner

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I see there is a discussion about whether The King will do the deed without consent of the drunk Queen because The King is supposedly a gentleman. IMHO, given a chance The King won't hesitates to do it because The Queen is his lawful wife and the setting is an ancient time that never heard of the word "consent" between husband and wife. But whether The Kind really did it on THAT particular time, I am split into 50:50 not because of "consent" but because The King has another mission in his mind.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

19 hours ago, annaR said:

idk about the other but for me this episode is kind of... lacking in steadiness(?). there are several scenes that (i think) aren't really important to the storyline. one of them is that kim hwan(?). i hope their triangle story can be a factor related to the main story of this drama, not just as a sweetener (which is kind of funny because i think kim hwan likes hongyoung and hongyoung likes that bodyguard and the bodyguard likes kim hwan (he got all jealousy when hwan brings a friend HAHAHAHAHAHA))

Yeah, that came out of nowhere. And why in heaven's name rush the king when you just want to talk to the queen's maid? Maybe the writers have to launch a few more ships before they start, ah, reducing the cast...

14 hours ago, annaR said:

but you're right. every characters in this drama aren't exactly black or white. they have their intention, anger, revenge, past, guilty, good, bad and all of it create a great disaster to the main lead (maybe except queen dowager and that brother of hers). 

Bong Hwan definitely has some issues to work on. When we first meet him, he's at the top of his game. He’s willing to work hard to get what he wants, but you get the feeling most things in life have come easy for him. He relies on his charm to get by, only breaking a sweat when absolutely necessary.  

He’s also as self-centered as he is charming. He’s willing to sacrifice others to realize his ambitions. Early on, he told Hong Yeon he’d willingly sacrifice her to get home. He made light of it, but he wasn’t really kidding. And he didn’t particularly care what might happen to Kim So Yong and her court as a result of his actions once he jumped into the lake and back into the future. 

Shin Hye Sun (and Choi Jin Hyuk in the Act 1 voice overs) do a fantastic job winning us over to their character. But as charismatic and amusing as Sobong is, she is not a loyal or reliable person. Her growth will mean learning some lessons about loving and giving. Looks like she’s started that journey.

Queen Dowager Jo might be going in an interesting direction beyond the usual palace intrigues. She now KNOWS Kim So Yong's body is hosting another spirit. What is she going to do with this knowledge? She give Cut-Face an errand that we are not privy to. I have a feeling she is going to strike from an unexpected angle.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 5