[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

If they did grace us with a season 2, what would be your preference?

1. BH's consciousness (or soul, depending on your theory of the first season) goes back into the past, after the timeline has changed and he learns CJ now dies just months later after the Andong Kim baddies team up to take him down, enters So Yong's body again - this time after she dies in childbirth - helps resolve the issue, and chooses to stay in the past. Or any sort of BH goes back story resulting in a parallel world where CJ and his queen do reign and live long...I was just using an example from a possible fanfiction plot I've been kicking around in my head a bit.
  2. Reincarnation story in modern times with BH and an unknown actress to play the female version of CJ - SHS playing him would be too weird. Having sex with essentially your identical twin? Awkward doesn't even cover it. We'll leave that freaky stuff to the Game of Thrones spin-offs.
  3. Reincarnation story set in unspecified future with SHS and KJH as their previous incarnations.

I know some would like KJH playing CJ and getting together with BH, but that would have to be filmed in a parallel universe because no way tvn would do it. Actually, after typing all of this out, I realize there's really no way I see tvn doing any of these. Just wistful thinking on my part.

#1 would be them admitting they messed up.

#2 would be a risk as fans might not want to see their favorite characters looking like someone else.

#3 would be problematic with BH being relatively young and then having to tack on more years for a rebirth-adulthood growth.

All would be koboshed if the original cast said "no" - I think that's why we're still holding our breath for Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2. Despite him saying it's "not up to me" when asked about reprising the role, I get a feeling that KJH looks forward to new challenges instead of revisiting previous ones. Same for SHS.

Still, feel free to choose from any, including the BL themed one. It's just for fun. For me, I'd be #1 - I'm a classics kinda girl.

Edited by Sandy Prater
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Raffles said:

Random thought of the day, because I can't seem to quit this show.

Watching some of the recent fan videos brought some scenes back to mind, specifically So Bong's growing worry at the king's absence that led to her collapsing in tears. Up to that point I was sure Bong Hwan was going back to his 2021 life, but that was the moment I began to wonder if the writers were "all in" on keeping him in So Yong's body. It seemed that his soul was increasingly aligning with its host body and that the queen was experiencing very strong emotions she didn't understand, but that women would. In short, it seemed like the writers and Shin Hye Sun herself were expressing a continuation of the character's transition from one state to another.

I took it as BH not knowing how to handle these intense emotions such as longing, worry, romantic love Bec he has always been kind of shallow, a playboy , and so would never have felt these before and didn't know that it was going to be feel that way and didn't know how to handle them esp since he was aware the danger to CJ was very real.

It felt consistent to me with his own journey and not necessarily SY's influence. 

But then, maybe you are right and this is the production's attempt to subtly (so very subtle, it is almost non-existent) show SY is still around.

5 hours ago, Raffles said:

Knowing the ending, I suppose that was just a sign of So Yong's spirit coming more out of the shell it had retreated to and reasserting itself. Which may lead to a kinder interpretation of her character, that it was extreme worry for the king that brought her back rather than a desire to enjoy another's victory when it was safe (she didn't come back when it was safe in any case, being shot and all).

I would rather have had her show her presence when BI was dangling them over the cliff but that's just me LOL.

Also, don't think she had a choice but to finally show up when they were shot bec BH was thrown back into his own body in the hospital and she had to take over or it was game over at that point.

• Like 2

He said he thought of the queen when he wrote Like the First Snow. :fullofhearts:

Lyrics:

Sometimes, when I’m with you I find it so strange that I’m smiling

Is it because of you

Who slowly, without even knowing, came into my heart?

Even when I keep saying no

At the end of my line of vision, you’re always end

When I close my eyes, my day was like a gift

It was such a warm first snow

You spill into my heart like snow

In my life that didn’t have any light

Without even knowing

Without adding any pressure

Slowly, into my heart

You secretly fell down like the first snow

I miss you, even when you’re in front of me

It feels like you’ll always disappear

When I close my eyes, I’m afraid you’ll get erased

That’s why I’m placing more of you in my heart

You spill into my heart like snow

In my life that didn’t have any light

Without even knowing

Without adding any pressure

Slowly, into my heart

You secretly fell down like the first snow...

Seems almost prophetic...especially the erasure/disappearing bit. :headbang:

Edited by Sandy Prater
  • Like 4

I thought I was the one who was most upset by the ending but looks like this person on Dramabeans is even more furious :joy:

“First of all I would like to commend the cast for their amazing work specially Shin Hye Sun, She did the damn thing. She rocked the show, hell she was THE SHOW. Kim Jung Hyun was also amazing in his role. 

This drama would've been such a masterpiece without that disrespectful ending. I've never felt this betrayed or hurt because of a show because I've never rooted for a couple as much as I did for Sobong and CheolJong just to have the time, feelings and energy I invested in this relationship throwed in a trash bag. 

These two were a match made in heaven and this show consolidated my belief in love regardless of genders. Just to be clear, the king never fell in love at first sight with Soyong (love at first sight doesn't exist), he was curious and had a sense of familiarity about her , attracted AT BEST. Everything went through the window when he realized that she was from the Kim clan. Think about it CJ fell in love with Sobong 's personality which is mainly JBH's personality. He fell in love with his/her strange (and unpredictable most of the times )behavior, her/his sassiness, strange words (thanks to which we got the epic Queen's Dictionary) ,boldness and crazy eccentric self. Sobong was someone like no other in Joseon. 

From episode 1 to episode 19 ,we got to see the relationship between these two evolve from deep antagonism and lack of trust to selfless love and solid partnership. They were ready to die for each other and my God this insane chemistry , the constant bickering and the fluttering moments between them. I JUST CAN'T. SB went from an identity crisis to carrying his child , accepting his/her feelings for CJ to being all in for CJ knowing that he was going to lose just to die (when BH got sent back to the future) at the most crucial moment just when CJ was dying before him/her. 

The first thing BH did when he woke up was try to see if the king survived if that's not love I don't know what it is. BH regardless of Soyong's memories (which I admit could have influenced him in the beginning) fell in love with the king when he saw him in a new light and saw how much the king wanted to change Joseon.
The only reason people are trying to justify this ending is by saying that what CJ and BH had was a bromance and all the romance was sone by SY which I will never understand, male I watched a different show. Because BH was there and felt everything, he enjoyed the sex, as CJ said SB was a true tigress.

If the queen's body was possessed by a woman from the future nobody would be trying to attribute the feelings of said woman to Soyong's and the internet will be in shambles if she was sent back to the future after making all these sacrifices.But as we have a man here, I suppose to some it's less comfortable that a man who happened to be straight fell in love with another man. 

They made BH do all the heavy lifting and all the sacrifices just to be treated like a tool that was supposed to help mend the 

relationship between SY and CJ which is straight RickRoll'D. SY reaps all the benefits without doing none of the work and CJ ends up with a person completely different from the one he loved deeply and who had a knack for surprising him every time. It's like falling in love with one twin (the mischievous one, fun, crazy and eccentric one) and ending with the other twin. 

They kinda dumbed him down also in the end which is quite contradictory to his character throughout the series , he is very smart and perceptive and remembers every small detail Sobong ever said to him, as he said , he prides himself in being the one who knew and understood his eccentric wife the best, so how come in the end, he doesn't seem to realize the person he truly loved is gone? From the way SB used to call him affectuously "cheoljongie", "Jongie Jongie"or "Jong ah" to SY's annoying high pitched voice "Cheona" there is a huge difference. What about Court Lady Choi and Hong Yeon who went from being treated like family members by Sobong back to being treated like servants by So Yong. Didn't they realize something was off? 

This is the problem I got with this ending the Lack of acknowledgment of BH's sacrifices and everything he did to save their asses without him the king wouldn't have achieved anything (Come on he saved his festival , went to save him when he was declared dead and did everything till the end to help him regain his place) . I wanted more from CJ rather than this vague question talking about "did I lose something?". I wanted him to mourn the loss of the person he loved which is Sobong who sadly died in the end.

I wanted CJ to realize that the person who helped him all along was BH( a man who really came form the future). I wanted to see how much of BH's feelings were influenced by the queen's memories or feelings, I wanted to see him mourn what he lost and see him evolve after his life changing experience in Joseon and deal with the trauma. I wanted to see Soyong tell the truth to CJ that she is not the person he fell in love anymore and gave him space to digest it and why not build a relationship afterward based on the truth. I wanted to know more about So Yong, if the writers knew they were gonna make her the protagonist of the show and she will get the man, they had to show us more and make us root for her. Show me SY being active and participating and taking over from time to time very clearly, and show me that she is a badass and she is more than a desperate and sad woman from Joseon who lacks skills and experience who wanted to kill herself because among other reasons her husband to be didn't love her back. Because clearly as she said herself , what we got here is someone hiding 98% of the show and you want me to root for her ?Rather than start on the right feet and tell the king she is not Sobong what I got was a ridiculous laugh when the king asked him why she was treating him so formally and if she was plotting 

to surprise him.

This made me dislike Soyong and made me think that she is not that different from the Hwa Jin of the beginning because she is pretending to be someone she is not and taking credit for everything BH did which seems quite upsetting and disappointing coming from her who made the same reproach to Hwa Jin beforehand. 

In the end, the main protagonist of the love story got relegated to being a Second Lead or the Third wheel in his own damn love story (I would even say got KILLED), never got the deserved acknowledgment and that's what made it so heartbreaking. SB and CJ got that understanding and love that SY and CJ will never get. 

This ending is somehow worse than SHR's ending and the only person who got a happy ending was SY and I wonder how long it's gonna last when she will realize that the person she loves doesn't really love her. As a viewer, I don't know if I would recommend this show to anyone because the ending soured the whole experience maybe the 19,2 episodes. Such a waste of potential...“

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

17 minutes ago, aisling said:

I thought I was the one who was most upset by the ending but looks like this person on Dramabeans is even more furious :joy:

17 minutes ago, aisling said:

If the queen's body was possessed by a woman from the future nobody would be trying to attribute the feelings of said woman to Soyong's and the internet will be in shambles if she was sent back to the future after making all these sacrifices.But as we have a man here, I suppose to some it's less comfortable that a man who happened to be straight fell in love with another man. 

This!! This person said everything I had to say about the ending. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, aisling said:

I feel like I'm reading an amalgam of all of our posts here. It's exactly how those of us that were left unhappy with the ending feel. I'd previously posted about my theories on HB being SY's reincarnation and why they decided to send BH back (which fit in the context of the story they built), but in the third and last part of my analysis of this show, I feel like I need to ID how, even if it works for their vision, it was the wrong path to take.

They should have never gone with the reincarnation route, especially if they were never intending to let SY have a true voice in the drama. Viewers never got to bond with her, and in those moments we did see her, she was either a watered down version of the personality we were emotionally invested in or emphasized the opposite characteristics (demure, feminine, etc...) that we loved Mr. Queen for rejecting. Also, this angle gives us no true feeling of completeness and satisfaction. SY is with CJ in the past - we won't see them develop their feelings for each other and grow to like them as a couple. BH is in the present but who knows if he'll find CJ's reborn soul and happiness with whoever it is. Promises without fulfillment demand too much from the audience to fill in the blanks. If that's the case, next time just give us a tag line and tell the audience to imagine the rest.

Yes, the idea of soul mates is a romantic one. However, even if they share the same soul, we are given two distinct personalities and not enough connection between them in terms of their recognizing each other, acknowledging their feelings for CJ to each other in some sort of passing the flame moment that would make it feel more homogeneous and prevent feelings of resentment at what we perceive as an injustice to a personality we adore. 

Instead of creating an emotional divide between the two, they should have just let them be separate souls, have SY die before BH's soul enters, and develop the romance between CJ and HB's as the novel and even that cheap and campy Chinese version did. Having SY there just muddied the waters, and became a distraction and an excuse for every emotional milestone Mr. Queen experienced, negating that character's development and laying it at SY's feet.

They should have chosen a fictional king and not boxed themselves into a limited outcome. Granted, it gave them a valid reason for booting BH back to present times, but look at the result: limited number of years with someone the audience isn't really familiar with for our beloved ML (plus their baby dies) and a huge question mark for our F-turned back into ML in the present with the hope that maybe the reincarnation thing works in his favor but who knows because they couldn't even toss us that small crumb which would have alleviated some of our heartache for BH as well as give more credence to the fact that SY/BH are the same and thereby lessened the feelings of resentment to the SY character as well. Or they could have gone with a parallel world theory and left it wide open as to what sweeping changes would occur. BH being initially thrown back to the Joseon era as a result of his dying would have achieved that because then the audience would have no reason to revisit the present nor see that the worlds were linked via changes upon his return. 

The other element I would have liked to have seen that was in neither of the televised versions (though the Chinese one came very, very close) was the in the web novel the king fully accepted that his wife was not the woman she was, believed that her previous body was a man, fell in love regardless and she with him. 

Edited by Sandy Prater
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There will be a commentary coming!

I'm happy that we will get to watch Mr Queen's squad again:partyblob:

credit to the owner

So maybe Kim Jung Hyun told Shin Hye Sun on the day they met up that fans keep asking him for them to do a joint IG live together?

But when she finally has time to able to do the joint LIVE with him, he is so unprepared until fans could accidently witness the Pooh pajama moment LOL:lol:

credit to the owner

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, aisling said:

Our Queen for new CF  Smart choice to present her as So Bong!

The fried chicken looks delicious and it succeed make me craving for some but it already 1 a.m.at my place so I will just cook fried chicken tomorrow:sweatingbullets:

credit to the owner

So the chicken CF might what she referred to when she mentioned as "just done wrapping up the shooting" in their joint LIVE.

credit to the owner

They are look so cute together even in the casual outfits.

I want to see them in another drama as a couple again please!:tears:

credit to the owner

• Like 6

1 hour ago, enzek said:

There will be a commentary coming!

I'm happy that will get to watch Mr Queen's squad again:partyblob:

I'm not used to seeing the actresses with their hair down. 

2 hours ago, aisling said:

This edit is seriously so good!

Heist movie with SHS/KJH would explode the screen with sexiness.

Does SHS speak English? Like Michelle Yeoh, she would make a fantastic modern Bond girl.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

I'm not used to seeing the actresses with their hair down. 

Maybe because Mr Queen is the first drama that you watch them in:joy:

One of the main reason I'm excited for Mr Queen way before it air other than I'm curious how Korean adaptation will be is because I love both of Kim Jung Hyun and Shin Hye acting skill in their other dramas.

Mr Queen is the first historical drama for Shin Hye Sun

credit to the owner

and the second historical drama for Kim Jung Hyun after he acted in Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People in 2017 as the support role, Mo Ri.

credit to the owner

Spoiler

Some of his scenes in the drama:

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

Mr Queen was also the third drama where he was forced to get married:P

He become the forced groom whether in the modern or historical time:joy:

Spoiler

Welcome To Waikiki (2018) 

credit to the owner

Time (2018)

credit to the owner

Mr Queen (2020)

credit to the owner

• Like 5

Found a date for the commentary release on Twitter: March 5th

Some speculation as to what they will be commenting on b/c it's being touted as an exclusive and the other "exclusive" content from (is it tvbing...I probably misspelled that) the company providing it is Mr. Queen: The Secret/Bamboo Forest. So there's a chance that it might be a commentary on the spin-offs only, but that's not confirmed, it's just a theory some are throwing out. No info yet as to whether it's going to be released on multiple platforms or with subs, which is disappointing/nerve-racking. 

Really wish they would get on-board with the fact that there are a lot of international fans for KDramas. At least for the ones that do well internationally, they should make an effort to have things available for us like a translated scriptbook, quality subs on dvd/blu ray, and access to subbed specials. 

Edited by Sandy Prater
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just realised they’ll probably do commentary on those spin-off episodes which is quite underwhelming.

Since the commentary will be exclusively on Tving I guess they’re going to just talk about the spin-off :fear:

There’s not much to talk about since nothing really happened there?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2