[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

1 hour ago, kwayteow_mama said:

Here's another review that I identify with from https://seoulbeats.com/2021/02/mr-queen-funny-at-face-value/ (copy and paste under the spoiler tag for reading convenience). Tbh in years to come I probably wouldn't really remember the story details of Mr Queen but I will never forget the sizzling chemistry of KJH/SHS. In my limited and subjective world view I don't know any onscreen couple that moved me as much as our royal couple do. Not even BinJin, Brangelina who went on to date in real life..  To nurse my post Mr Queen syndrome, much appreciated if anyone can suggest any onscreen couple who come close for my next drama watching project :lol:   

I feel the same way. I've actually been quite depressed this past week thinking about how this drama ended and ended in a way that (for me) was heartbreaking. I "blame" the two leads. They just sizzled, and some of their scenes together were the most intensely passionate, on both an emotional as well as sexual level, that I've ever witnessed. It made them real to me, even though I know they're not. Going to snap out of it - I know this. Just going to take some time. And no, I've never felt this way about a drama couple before. Closest ones I can think of in terms of just having good chemistry are Yang Mi and Mark Chao from 10 Miles of Peach Blossoms and the two leads from Goodbye My Princess, both Chinese films. 

I was just going to post asking what people have moved onto. I'm trying out Sisyphus (though I'm leery as it's another time travel story - but the female lead looks like she can kick serious butt, and I need a break from heartbreak). I also sneak in a few Waikiki episodes just to see KJH in a happier and goofier role. What's everyone else watching now?

Edited by Sandy Prater
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, cenching said:

@cdcotr @aisling

Well, Mr Queen's main market is SK. Like it or not that country is not ready yet for a true love story between a macho perfect man and an alluring king both are great in their own right. Like JBH, I am both cursed and blessed with comprehensive knowledge of the so called LGBT especially GID. I can totally understand the hidden message from the writers during episode 1-19.5 and flabbergasted con gobsmacked by the ending. How they reduced JBH to a mere non feeling instrument is a downright heartless (this is an understatement since cursing is a no no in Soompi).

I thought the Korean industry is becoming more open to LGBT themes.  I watched 2.5 Korean shows recently that were straight up BL.  They were web dramas and were quite short but there have been more that I haven't even seen. Maybe not prime time network yet but wasn't TVN a more progressive network anyway? and it's cable right? So I thought there was a chance ...

I thought SK was finally joining the BL bandwagon that started decades ago in Japan, quite common in Thailand, some in Taiwan, derailed in China bec of the ban, spread in the Philippines and now starting in SK.

But even if they were not daring enough to fully go there, why bother at all. getting the license to adapt this drama and do a half-baked job of it?  Why not just use a thoroughly modern independent, slightly boyish woman from the 21st century instead of a male?  You still get the laughs from fish out of water hi-jinks but you don't have to do mental gymnastics to still end up with a hetero pairing.

Or at least, have SY be more present throughout the series...

• Like 10

I feel sad that we didn't see the second bed scene but when I imagine the feel for So Bong and Cheol Jong shipper like me if this drama show us the second bed scene.

Yeah, I will feel more bitter more than what I feel right now because after So Bong and Cheol Jong had two bed scenes yet So Yong will stay but Bong Hwan will just go back to the future at the end like that:bawling:

credit to the owner

No wonder they are extra sweet in the morning after:relaxed:

credit to the owner

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 3

@enzek

I think we did talk about the possibility of them having hot night cum aum in the cold wild night when the episode aired. Most of us here agreed that they did the deed and even some including me were worry about the baby. Anyway as long as we know they did it sober, willing and with no speculation whether it was SB or SY, I am good.....:gangnamstyle:

• Like 7

People say Kim Jung Hyun’s name should have been written down in the scriptbook because practically half of the script is his adlibs:joy:

Not only the quantity of his adlibs... but the quality! So the whole tiger gesture thing started with him!

• Like 6
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

20 hours ago, cdcotr said:

If the end game was SY, that's ok, fair enough, but they failed in the execution. Failed spectacularly. 

It is hard to care for a character that had so little screen time, and unknown. 

The mystery might have pulled viewers in at first, but at some point, the curtains must be pulled open to reveal who she really is.

I have something to add on this. Some thought that people who are unhappy about the KSY endgame disliked or even hated KSY character, while this may be true for some or to a certain extent, I think they are missing the point here that it is not mainly the character that have people unhappy about, it is actually in the way the story is told about her. It is like a love story where one party ends up with a stranger and the other party suffered an amnesia and whatever transpired over the bulk of the episodes is as good as a dream that JBH had when he's in vegetative state.   

On KSY character, putting aside the moral argument on how she has chose to deal with her problems, I also have problems reconciling the KSY character in the show. Version 1 is the one we saw in the beginning, the bitter destined highness who has no qualms to have others flog even if it was done in a bid to escape her situation and a obviously ineffective one at that. Version 2 is the progressive and magnanimous one we have seen at the ending. Even if we accept that she has a 180 degree change in personality after going through BH's experience as a backseat passenger, then doesn't it also look as if her whole persona, kind or cruel hinges exclusively on the king's affections for her and this kind of reminds me of the reason HJ turns bad in the first place, only HJ was unfortunate enough to have the king's untimely change of heart and so ended up having to 'find herself' out of the palace. I mean, if you to really deeply digest the message of the drama, there are things that bound to feel inconsistent putting aside its moral legitimacy. Tbh I had rather they have not shown the side of KSY showing some traits of BH be it because she somehow assimilated some parts of BH due to the body swap or she already actually possess similarities with BH before the body swap. It just enhances the whole afterthought feel of the KSY endgame.

Anyway I just need to keep in mind what KJH said about not paying too much attention to the message the drama is trying to convey and just laugh along with it.

• Like 9

It is like a love story where one party ends up with a stranger and the other party suffered an amnesia and whatever transpired over the bulk of the episodes is as good as a dream that JBH had when he's in vegetative state.   

great way to put it. The way they shot that ending, it really isn't clear exactly what JBH remembers of his whole experience and what he feels. They really toned it down and minimized the impact on him, esp considering that night they had in the mountains when both were sober, both knowing what they felt for each other.  There should be some grief at least, if not for the love lost, then the real friends he lost too.

Tbh I had rather they have not shown the side of KSY showing some traits of BH be it because she somehow assimilated some parts of BH due to the body swap or she already actually possess similarities with BH before the body swap. It just enhances the whole afterthought feel of the KSY endgame.

When SY said that maybe the inner her was finally unleashed or revealed (sorry paraphrasing, can't remember exact words), it grated on me a bit. It seems like they were implying that she was saying it to cover for the changes, but could she also be saying it as her taking ownership of these traits?  Saying that she had it all along?  No, nope, she didn't.

I would rather she just kept quiet and didn't say that, she wasn't even asked I think, she just said it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know why it grated on me, maybe it was just one more thing she was claiming entitlement to.  Most would probably say it's such a small thing to fuss over. Maybe so, but it is what it is. Oh well...

Anyway I just need to keep in mind what KJH said about not paying too much attention to the message the drama is trying to convey and just laugh along with it.

LOL! There are some dramas that make it easy to do that bec it is so obviously a farce, over the top, or very light.  Mr Queen wasn't one. Which is the problem.  I think they were trying to be too many things all at once...

I don't think I'm built to not pay attention to messages and implications, direct and indirect, in a drama or novels.

It is probably a skill useful to learn LOL.

• Like 8

There's an edited version of episode 20 with happy ending for cheolbong couple if anyone else is interested. 

The last episode was like watching a romantic comedy and then for the last 5 minutes some new person comes in and gets the happy ending and we're supposed to cheer for them. 

Edited by intronic
Spelling
  • Like 2

@aisling

I like the narration of CJ unties SB's hair. I know in ancient time only the husband can untied a woman hair and usually in ancient setting drama/movie this kind of scene is filmed with extra care and slow mo complete with all of the drum rolls and fireworks with many different angles. I am gutted that we were deprived of such beautiful scene.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, cenching said:

@aisling

I like the narration of CJ unties SB's hair. I know in ancient time only the husband can untied a woman hair and usually in ancient setting drama/movie this kind of scene is filmed with extra care and slow mo complete with all of the drum rolls and fireworks with many different angles. I am gutted that we were deprived of such beautiful scene.

Yeah, apparently untying a woman’s hair is more intimate than a kiss. And they didn’t show us. I wonder if they filmed it but edited it out or they just skipped it.

• Like 7

It literally looks like all KJH’s scenes were ad-libbed. The way the director just kept them all is even funnier.

This person made a thread with all compiled adlibs, you should check out the whole thread.

At this point it’s easier to compile what wasn’t ad-libbed :joy: Jung Hyun’s sexy brain stunned us once again.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

My additional little observation about why I think BH slowly fell in love with the King.

During recent kisses with CJ (at mountains, the ep20 before going to the last battle etc.) it was still BH's soul desire. Yes, we don't know what exactly happened inside his head but at least he didn't feel disgusted or shameful after it. He didn't make a fuss after, he didn't seem to regret those kisses, so I guess he was fine/ content with kissing the King at the last episodes.

So the theory that it was only SY soul intent and desire to kiss/love CJ - is not corrent in my eyes. BH also had feelings for the King.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, cdcotr said:

The way they shot that ending, it really isn't clear exactly what JBH remembers of his whole experience and what he feels. They really toned it down and minimized the impact on him, esp considering that night they had in the mountains when both were sober, both knowing what they felt for each other.  There should be some grief at least, if not for the love lost, then the real friends he lost too.

We saw him only in fight-or-flight mode, pumped up with adrenaline. I expect he crashed hard soon thereafter and it all came down on him. Not that we see that. We didn't see a lot of things.:confused:

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, aisling said:

This is most probably fake but I still want to see the person who was this horny and came up with the idea of So Bong not wanting to wear clothes and wanted Cheoljong to cover her up with his naked body instead.

This one must be fanfic by the thirsty PAC.....:loolz:  @shimshimae is this you??? For one of your research?? :coolshades:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4