Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I said I wouldn't post anymore but here I am. At least I'm coming to terms with the ending...a little. It helps to know that CJ dies young - SoBong left alone in the past without the reason for them staying would have been so sad.

 

However, the reason I'm posting is to ask for advice/opinions/clarification on a point in the story. Early in the series, Mr. Queen, the maids, Damyang, and the cooks are all talking about the idea of parallel lives...or is it reincarnation. It was so brief and confusing. Mr. Queen draws two lines and seems to be about living simultaneously in both. However, it was so quick and no matter how many times I revisit, I can't understand what she's alluding to because the conversation also seems to reference reincarnation rather than the parallel world theory I'm familiar with filled with doppelgangers whose universe is created by decisions they make...like when she talks about people being completely different from themselves and even jokes to Damyang that the dog could be a human. 

 

Adding to this confusion is that Damyang talks about her mother having only four fingernails and hopes she has them all in her other life - only to have the audience see that her mom has all of her fingernails (like it was highlighted at their reunion), but that's even more confusing because fingernails take over a year to fully grow back, and we saw Damyang and her family being arrested and put into slavery at the beginning of the series which was only a matter of months.

 

I don't feel they would have just put that in there arbitrarily...small talk isn't hard to come by so why choose that topic? Is it trying to allude to how BH's soul is in SY - a relationship between the two? If it's true reincarnation though, wouldn't they only have one soul instead of two? Or is it only BW's consciousness that goes back and he actually does share a soul with SY which is why she never left...because he, in essence, brought her back when he returned and then his consciousness returned to the present? 

 

Or is it just another s***ty plot-hole by writers with too much time on their hands? Oye, my head hurts thinking about it.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guide of : how the royal child was made         

The Tale Of The King’s Failed Mission   Our king had a very important mission, he even sent his brother away in order to succeed in his task.   5 minutes later.  

Watching it with subs made the final episode even worse.   I’m so tired of people saying So Bong was only influenced by So Yong’s emotions and feelings. You people had your happy generic het

24 minutes ago, Sandy Prater said:

Or is it just another s***ty plot-hole by writers with too much time on their hands? Oye, my head hurts thinking about it.

 

Absolutely....:isannoyed: Thru out the drama the writers threw so many Braxton Hicks. From reincarnation, parallel universe, false dead until 2 in 1 (not the shampoo kinds) but at the end they chose the shittiest unimaginable uncreative ending.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, partyon said:

@aisling

Ooh, thanks for sharing this pic. :dorakiss: I don't have any BTS pics of CJH and SHS in Mr. Queen

But if someone would have them, it would be @booha :kiss_wink:


Do you know why CJH was chosen as a cameo (though it’s more than cameo, he was more like a supporting actor)? Did he work with Me Queen director or writers before? 

  • Like 2
  • Blob 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, aisling said:


Do you know why CJH was chosen as a cameo (though it’s more than cameo, he was more like a supporting actor)? Did he work with Me Queen director or writers before? 

 

Neither to my knowledge.
He had just finished Zombie Detective and I think most people were a bit surprised about the fact that he's a good comedic actor. Maybe that influenced their decision?

 

Also, you may have noticed that oppa has a very deep masculine voice. My guess is that they wanted someone with very masculine features to emphasize So Bong's features. SHS's voice is quite strong too, so it's probable they felt that CJH would complement hers.

 

I do know that oppa studied SHS's mannerisms and way of walking + talking before starting filming his scenes, in order to match her acting as much as possible.

 

I think they pulled it off well. :kiss_wink:

  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, partyon said:

 

Neither to my knowledge.
He had just finished Zombie Detective and I think most people were a bit surprised about the fact that he's a good comedic actor. Maybe that influenced their decision?

 

Also, you may have noticed that oppa has a very deep masculine voice. My guess is that they wanted someone with very masculine features to emphasize So Bong's features. SHS's voice is quite strong too, so it's probable they felt that CJH would complement hers.

 

I do know that oppa studied SHS's mannerisms and way of walking + talking before starting filming his scenes, in order to match her acting as much as possible.

 

I think they pulled it off well. :kiss_wink:


That’s true. They chose the most masculine actor to drive the point home about So Bong being this macho man in a woman’s body. They did complement each other very well, their mannerisms and gestures  were very well done and synchronised. 
 

Even though I’m not CJH’s regular fan I will always cherish him as Bong Hwan. He did really well with his limited screen time and limited script. I will never stop being disappointed by episode 20 but all actors did phenomenal jobs.

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cenching said:

 

TVN promoted True Beauty more than Mr Queen in all of their official SocMed. Every day I saw minimal one snippet of TB but MQ was only 1 to 3 snippets per week.

It was because of the stupid controversy.

 

 

 

 

These photos and bts video is the only known ones of CJH and Hyesun

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aisling said:


That’s true. They chose the most masculine actor to drive the point home about So Bong being this macho man in a woman’s body. They did complement each other very well, their mannerisms and gestures  were very well done and synchronised. 
 

Even though I’m not CJH’s regular fan I will always cherish him as Bong Hwan. He did really well with his limited screen time and limited script. I will never stop being disappointed by episode 20 but all actors did phenomenal jobs.

 

Choi Jin Hyuk has a strong fan base here on Soompi. We always welcome more fans to our team. :D

 

Here are a couple of  BTS scenes of CJH and SHS:

 

 

He did say that he was told the cameo would be very easy for him to film, so he was totally unprepared that he had to do filming under water for so many hours. He said it was very tough.

Overall, the cameo was more work for him than he anticipated. :D

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

LMAO can’t believe SHS and CJH underwater kiss was actually so long???? I can’t stop laughing cause CJH showed up to shoot a cameo and kissed with SHS for hours :loolz:

 

Our Queen SHS kissing three hot men in one drama! Atta girl!

  • Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Hi! Please check my video on Mr. Queen OST: Here I Am (cover in English lyrics by Marianne Topacio)

 

Please let me know what you guys think Thank you!

 

:sweet:

Edited by HelloNica
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will all the debate over the ending, have the writers not addressed/clarified any of the grey areas? I know KJH has made a couple of comments on his Instagram Live posts - the one that I keep seeing over and over again is that it's CJ's perception of the queen he loves, not BH or even SY but how CJ perceives her. 

 

However, I'd love to know the writer or director's thoughts on things. I wonder if there's something out there but maybe only in Korean so I can't find it. 

  • Like 4
  • Blob 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, aisling said:


Do you know why CJH was chosen as a cameo (though it’s more than cameo, he was more like a supporting actor)? Did he work with Me Queen director or writers before? 

 

9 hours ago, partyon said:

 

Neither to my knowledge.
He had just finished Zombie Detective and I think most people were a bit surprised about the fact that he's a good comedic actor. Maybe that influenced their decision?

 

Also, you may have noticed that oppa has a very deep masculine voice. My guess is that they wanted someone with very masculine features to emphasize So Bong's features. SHS's voice is quite strong too, so it's probable they felt that CJH would complement hers.

 

I do know that oppa studied SHS's mannerisms and way of walking + talking before starting filming his scenes, in order to match her acting as much as possible.

 

I think they pulled it off well. :kiss_wink:

 

Yes MQ PDnim said they worked together once but it was too long ago for him to remember CJH.  As you suggested , I have to guess too that CJH’s recent play in Zombie might help him notice CJH’s comedic acting side.  Plus CJH’s unique voice which makes him a good narrator.

 

Thank you @aisling for the picture   haha BTS of  Choi Jin Hyuk and  Shin HyeSun   that’s great :glee:     PS there aren't any of their BTS

 

**Here is the article about CJH’s cameo appearance

**‘Mr Queen’  Yoon Sung Sik PDnim expressed his appreciation for CJH’s cameo appearance.

Spoiler

Yoon Sung Sik says “Rather than saying there is a special relationship between CJH and me,  I had a chance to work a debut project with CJH who was a 21- yr old rookie actor at the time. I myself was a rookie PD too and we worked together on a youth drama.   I was grateful that he accepted the cameo appearance without hesitation.   

As he just finished shooting his other work, he must not have much time to prepare so it would have been difficult for him.”

 

“It was a hard filming for the role in terms of difficulty.  There were a lot of difficult scenes such as diving into the water, hanging on the wire, and cooking, but he worked very hard and I’m thankful.”

 

https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202012091157178010

 

https://twitter.com/cjh_gene/status/1361243834349330435

 

https://twitter.com/cjh_gene/status/1361244086011789317

 

https://twitter.com/cjh_gene/status/1361244266354249729

 

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@aislingposted the soompi article talking about how SY being in there the whole time doesn't make sense. 

I always thought SY was not there anymore, that after helping recover her memories for BH as a final act, she's completely gone, perhaps to be reborn.

 

I didn't see a separate, distinct consciousness from beginning to half of ep 20.  It could be explained that the memories were stored in the brain within the body now inhabited by BH, the skills in musical instrument etc can be explained by muscle memory. So I thought SY was gone for good.  I didn't see a distinct separate consciousness.

 

BH kept attributing his feelings of attraction to CJ, esp in the beginning, as SY somehow influencing him. 

But I took it as some kind of gay panic LOL, an understandable reaction, a reflex to deny the burgeoning feelings bec he already felt like he was losing himself, that a change in sexual identity might be the last straw. Esp since it seems like it came out of nowhere. For a very straight guy who is a playboy, suddenly being attracted to another male must have been so confusing, scary, maybe even horrifying.

 

I liked that they showed him articulating his confusion, but also being honest enough to admit he enjoyed it. It was nice to see him work through his confusion.  Fun too LOL.

It was funny to see him admire CJ and yet be kinda jealous and competitive bec CJ is undeniably a great a guy, personality-wise and physically too.

I thought it was a bit daring of the show to show this confusion and esp when they showed BH accepting it more and more. And that they showed it wasn't just the physical but that BH grew to really admire CJ the person, through their conversations and interactions.  It wasn't just the body or lust, it was learning to love the person inside.

 

It was interesting to note that BH initially looked at CJ's idealism and need to help his country despite danger and almost certain failure, almost condescendingly or dismissively, unable to understand.  Which reflected his self-centred personality.

But you can see the shift, BH even starts to affectionately tease CJ about it, it almost becomes an inside joke between them.  He starts to admire CJ's idealism and his willingness to fight for what he believes in even if the cost and risk is high.

BH is no longer at the sidelines, he now actively helps and is willing to take a gamble even if it means they might lose.

 

It echoes the arc of CJ falling in love with this version of the queen, just took longer.  He noticed that the queen was acting differently, reacting in unexpected unpredictable ways.  It caught his attention, broke his prejudices of her and led to them being companions, then to friends, then to allies, then to partners. 

 

By the end, they were true partners. They shared their thoughts, no filters.  Even when BH castigated CJ when he thought DH was dead, those words were harsh but true in a way. (Totally understand why it would provoke tears in KJH even if it wasn't in the script, as shown in the BTS)

 

I really like that scene, bec BH really let his thoughts out, yet CJ just took it and still let him know through their secret signal that DH was safe. I don't think BH apologized afterwards, I do recall he thanked CJ. And CJ didn't take offense, I think he realized that BH meant every word at the time. 

 

They understood each other so well that they can take each other's hints and know what the other needs. And they have mutual trust, respect and acknowledge each other's competency and skills. 

 

Where am I going with this? LOL

 

This true partnership was well deserved.  They worked hard to get to this point and they've earned it.  As close to an ideal relationship as one can get even in Joseon Korea.

And we saw it form and grow from enemies, to "No Touch", to friends, to lovers,  to allies, to partners.

 

So we were invested in this story, in the journey these 2 - CJ and BH went through. We rooted for them to survive, to win, to live their lives together free of obstacles and danger.

 

For the writers to then switch it up at the last half hour was a mistake.  It didn't make sense narratively, it didn't hit the right emotional beats. As if the 19.5 hrs that you invested in a character and a relationship, basically did not matter.

It makes you feel that you were tricked.

 

If the end game was SY, that's ok, fair enough, but they failed in the execution. Failed spectacularly. 

It is hard to care for a character that had so little screen time, and unknown. 

The mystery might have pulled viewers in at first, but at some point, the curtains must be pulled open to reveal who she really is.

And are we now supposed to be happy that she got her happy ever after, when the person that we knew, supported and watched go through this journey is thrown to the side and hardly even acknowledged? I can't, nope.

 

BH not only suddenly became the supporting character to a series that was titled after him, but those who loved him didn't even realize he was gone... how sad that it didn't even seem like he'd be missed.  Except perhaps by the King subconsciously.

 

For viewers who were rooting for this character, that's a very bitter pill to swallow.

 

  • Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cdcotr said:

@aislingposted the soompi article talking about how SY being in there the whole time doesn't make sense. 

I always thought SY was not there anymore, that after helping recover her memories for BH as a final act, she's completely gone, perhaps to be reborn.

 

I didn't see a separate, distinct consciousness from beginning to half of ep 20.  It could be explained that the memories were stored in the brain within the body now inhabited by BH, the skills in musical instrument etc can be explained by muscle memory. So I thought SY was gone for good.  I didn't see a distinct separate consciousness.

 

BH kept attributing his feelings of attraction to CJ, esp in the beginning, as SY somehow influencing him. 

But I took it as some kind of gay panic LOL, an understandable reaction, a reflex to deny the burgeoning feelings bec he already felt like he was losing himself, that a change in sexual identity might be the last straw. Esp since it seems like it came out of nowhere. For a very straight guy who is a playboy, suddenly being attracted to another male must have been so confusing, scary, maybe even horrifying.

 

I liked that they showed him articulating his confusion, but also being honest enough to admit he enjoyed it. It was nice to see him work through his confusion.  Fun too LOL.

It was funny to see him admire CJ and yet be kinda jealous and competitive bec CJ is undeniably a great a guy, personality-wise and physically too.

I thought it was a bit daring of the show to show this confusion and esp when they showed BH accepting it more and more. And that they showed it wasn't just the physical but that BH grew to really admire CJ the person, through their conversations and interactions.  It wasn't just the body or lust, it was learning to love the person inside.

 

It was interesting to note that BH initially looked at CJ's idealism and need to help his country despite danger and almost certain failure, almost condescendingly or dismissively, unable to understand.  Which reflected his self-centred personality.

But you can see the shift, BH even starts to affectionately tease CJ about it, it almost becomes an inside joke between them.  He starts to admire CJ's idealism and his willingness to fight for what he believes in even if the cost and risk is high.

BH is no longer at the sidelines, he now actively helps and is willing to take a gamble even if it means they might lose.

 

It echoes the arc of CJ falling in love with this version of the queen, just took longer.  He noticed that the queen was acting differently, reacting in unexpected unpredictable ways.  It caught his attention, broke his prejudices of her and led to them being companions, then to friends, then to allies, then to partners. 

 

By the end, they were true partners. They shared their thoughts, no filters.  Even when BH castigated CJ when he thought DH was dead, those words were harsh but true in a way. (Totally understand why it would provoke tears in KJH even if it wasn't in the script, as shown in the BTS)

 

I really like that scene, bec BH really let his thoughts out, yet CJ just took it and still let him know through their secret signal that DH was safe. I don't think BH apologized afterwards, I do recall he thanked CJ. And CJ didn't take offense, I think he realized that BH meant every word at the time. 

 

They understood each other so well that they can take each other's hints and know what the other needs. And they have mutual trust, respect and acknowledge each other's competency and skills. 

 

Where am I going with this? LOL

 

This true partnership was well deserved.  They worked hard to get to this point and they've earned it.  As close to an ideal relationship as one can get even in Joseon Korea.

And we saw it form and grow from enemies, to "No Touch", to friends, to lovers,  to allies, to partners.

 

So we were invested in this story, in the journey these 2 - CJ and BH went through. We rooted for them to survive, to win, to live their lives together free of obstacles and danger.

 

For the writers to then switch it up at the last half hour was a mistake.  It didn't make sense narratively, it didn't hit the right emotional beats. As if the 19.5 hrs that you invested in a character and a relationship, basically did not matter.

It makes you feel that you were tricked.

 

If the end game was SY, that's ok, fair enough, but they failed in the execution. Failed spectacularly. 

It is hard to care for a character that had so little screen time, and unknown. 

The mystery might have pulled viewers in at first, but at some point, the curtains must be pulled open to reveal who she really is.

And are we now supposed to be happy that she got her happy ever after, when the person that we knew, supported and watched go through this journey is thrown to the side and hardly even acknowledged? I can't, nope.

 

BH not only suddenly became the supporting character to a series that was titled after him, but those who loved him didn't even realize he was gone... how sad that it didn't even seem like he'd be missed.  Except perhaps by the King subconsciously.

 

For viewers who were rooting for this character, that's a very bitter pill to swallow.

 


Everything you wrote is spot on and it makes me angry again. Not only the ending didn’t make sense emotionally, but they failed to deliver a logical conclusion from a narrative perspective.

 

People who say Bong Hwan didn’t seem heartbroken after returning to the future. If they showed him grief-stricken mourning for his lost love... wouldn’t that be a direct BL showing a man crying and longing for another man? Of course they couldn’t show it. All they dared to show was his half crying half laughing over a portrait of a man who tried to make him laugh. 
 

Now I think about it, they couldn’t even show a goodbye scene between Bong Hwan and Cheoljong. I highly doubt they would only shake hands and pat each other on the back after falling in love passionately. They couldn’t show Cheoljong acknowledging falling in love with a man and they couldn’t show Bong Hwan breaking down and not wanting to leave Cheoljong. The last scene before he went back “Not now. Please let me make sure he’s alive” and Cheoljong’s “Did I lost something?” is the closest to the confessions the writer dared to show.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

@cdcotr @aisling

Well, Mr Queen's main market is SK. Like it or not that country is not ready yet for a true love story between a macho perfect man and an alluring king both are great in their own right. Like JBH, I am both cursed and blessed with comprehensive knowledge of the so called LGBT especially GID. I can totally understand the hidden message from the writers during episode 1-19.5 and flabbergasted con gobsmacked by the ending. How they reduced JBH to a mere non feeling instrument is a downright heartless (this is an understatement since cursing is a no no in Soompi).

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..