[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

1 hour ago, aisling said:

I really hope Kim Jung Hyun is ok, that his mental health is getting better. I don’t suffer from depression but someone close to me does, so I know it intimately how depression can ruin your life.

I just found out Kim Jung Hyun’s father died from the cancer when he was serving in the military and that he feels guilty about not being there for his father (apparently his mother hid the truth about the cancer from him back then). When he took the role as a terminal ill patient in Time (who also had cancer)... how much pain he must’ve felt? The combination of his grief for his father and his method acting must’ve driven his to the pit of depression. It really pains me to just think about how much he must’ve suffered. Imagine having to leave your own drama! 

Maybe because he wore hoodies in his last two IG Live, so he appeared sad? He didn’t look so melancholic when he wasn’t wearing hoodies in other IG Lives. Depression never really goes away, some days are better and some days are worse, it’s the never ending battle every day. So I hope he takes good care of himself!

He’s not an one night wonder who gained popularity overnight, apparently he’s been acting since his teens, so I hope his hard work and his pure talent would be recognised.

It seemed he noticed that some were worried about him, he then said in his latest IG Live that he's really okay, IG Junghyunique translated it (https://www.instagram.com/p/CLJWavvpDKl/?igshid=a2o1z7iyp4k1)

She's one of his fans who has been following him since very beginning of his debut. She said that he does like to talk 'deep' in his IG Live. I think his IG Live is not just to say hi to his fans, but also want to share something meaningful to his fans, to encourage people who are feeling down, since he had been there too. As you know, he's a thoughtful guy, very sensitive man, not ordinary actor. Seems he doesn't like something shallow or meaningless. I believe that his talent and work will get more acknowledged than before. You must realize the number of his followers in IG increases drastically. In the very early of Mr. Queen it was only 250k. We'll always keep supporting him. :heart3:

• Like 10
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, aisling said:

I really hope Kim Jung Hyun is ok, that his mental health is getting better. I don’t suffer from depression but someone close to me does, so I know it intimately how depression can ruin your life.

I just found out Kim Jung Hyun’s father died from the cancer when he was serving in the military and that he feels guilty about not being there for his father (apparently his mother hid the truth about the cancer from him back then). When he took the role as a terminal ill patient in Time (who also had cancer)... how much pain he must’ve felt? The combination of his grief for his father and his method acting must’ve driven his to the pit of depression. It really pains me to just think about how much he must’ve suffered. Imagine having to leave your own drama! 

Maybe because he wore hoodies in his last two IG Live, so he appeared sad? He didn’t look so melancholic when he wasn’t wearing hoodies in other IG Lives. Depression never really goes away, some days are better and some days are worse, it’s the never ending battle every day. So I hope he takes good care of himself!

He’s not an one night wonder who gained popularity overnight, apparently he’s been acting since his teens, so I hope his hard work and his pure talent would be recognised.

This is very insightful and sensitive of you @aisling. How very fortunate for those you've walked with in their MH issues. I have been clinically diagnosed with somethings and advocating for a better understanding of it. That's also why I took interest in KJH. I thought it very brave of him to let it hang there, about his past difficulties and also what and how he is outside of his dramas. 

There is no guarantee when you've had MH issues/episodes. It will always be a daily work in progress. That is why it is good to speak about it but safe space is an important element. I'm amazed at how he has allowed us these live IG time with him, at his home and at his barest.  I never felt it "exhibitionist" like most on-cam stuff  are these days. I think he is coming from a place of wanting to genuinely connect and be himself with this willingness to trust this audience that he does not see for most part. 

Yes, he needs to take care of himself.I'm glad for  these times to share what transpired on MQ while at the same time taking a break from work or at least taking it slow. The physical exhaustion can be a trigger and coupled with real sepanx after spending time with a certain group of people you are devoted to, that could be a perfect ingredient to the blues that are darker than usual. 

6 hours ago, skinnyjeans said:

It seemed he noticed that some were worried about him, he then said in his latest IG Live that he's really okay, IG Junghyunique translated it (https://www.instagram.com/p/CLJWavvpDKl/?igshid=a2o1z7iyp4k1)

She's one of his fans who has been following him since very beginning of his debut. She said that he does like to talk 'deep' in his IG Live. I think his IG Live is not just to say hi to his fans, but also want to share something meaningful to his fans, to encourage people who are feeling down, since he had been there too. As you know, he's a thoughtful guy, very sensitive man, not ordinary actor. Seems he doesn't like something shallow or meaningless. I believe that his talent and work will get more acknowledged than before. You must realize the number of his followers in IG increases drastically. In the very early of Mr. Queen it was only 250k. We'll always keep supporting him. :heart3:

Thank you for sharing @skinnyjeans. And for somebody who has been there and knows those things that  pass,  he also feel and know immediately how people are reacting and responding, and what would validate them.He is not just sensitive, he is also a compassionate person. And that I think fuels and at the same time serves as  by-product of his acting.  No wonder he likes the writer-philosopher Albert Camus. And books in general. 

And no wonder we are drawn to KJH.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5

On 2/9/2021 at 7:02 AM, Mila said:

I am attributing the story of So Bong leaving the palace to go after CJ as a script failure. The writers wanted to tell this story very much, but they did not elaborate it well and invented something difficult to swallow. Perhaps, it would have been better if they had put something like So Bong having to flee the palace because they were trying to kill her.

Stopping to analyze the show as a whole, I think it would have been better built if it had had more episodes, as it ended up that the political plot got a little rushed. They could also have chosen to take time passages in history, for example to have let So Bong have the baby or to have allowed time to train soldiers with the teachings she gave.

I was watching the episodes in sequence and I said that about two months had passed in the story.

I'm really worried about Lady Choi and Heyon. I hope they are fine. Spoiler ... I think the real chef will find them, because I saw a picture of him in clothes similar to theirs.

Regarding the development of the couple So Bong and CJ, I really liked it. Although we had few kisses, I think it was necessary, because Bong is a heterosexual man, so they really needed to make it harder for him to be accepted as So Bong.

I thought the same about the script failure. Perhaps the idea of BH going off on his own adventure to save CJ is a good one but the execution was a miss.

I get that BH is an overconfident guy who had previous special forces training BUT he didn't really make use of that knowledge and experience.  He didn't plan ahead much, granted time was short but shouldn't he have packed some very sharp knives that he can wield very well to protect himself aside from the bow and arrow he barely knows how to use? Or maybe bec it's winter, pack extra thick coats that you can use like a blanket? or Food? A map? Instead of what I assume to be money?

They weren't even that smart abt how they snuck out of the palace.  Wasn't there even one guard that was trusted to protect her like Prince YP is stuck to CJ's side to protect him? Why doesn't the queen have her own loyal guards? They could have gone with her ...

I know I'm nitpicking...but it was a waste of their character design.

Maybe they will reveal the plans hatched this weekend as a way to increase tension in the plot but I would rather have known it so we can be along for the ride instead of learning after the fact.

I meant to post a more complete reaction to last week's episodes but I got distracted ...

I feel like my hunch may prove true that the ending will feel rushed.  I feel like they paced it too slow.  Chinese historical dramas typically have more episodes if I am correct, with all the complex political plotting, add the romance , some slice of life...it does need longer length to fully explore the themes...and Mr Queen adds the fantasy element of time travel, being reborn, man in a woman's body, etc...they really had a lot to cover.

It took them too long to really get into the meat of the story and explore all the themes they have going..

I'm curious how they will resolve it all in 2 hours. It feels to me like there should be at least 2 more episodes, maybe more...

I get that it is billed as a comedy and is supposed to be lighthearted, it's isn't a dark comedy either but then you have themes like torture, killing innocents, assassinations, rampant corruption leading to starvation, slavery and killing of citizens...and these are all presented directly in the scenes...They weren't whitewashed or shown off camera.

So as a viewer, it's a bit hard to reconcile these serious themes esp if they're not addressed and given weight they should.  It feels like they're just playing around with these themes.

They can keep it light, sure, but then why show these very serious themes?

it feels kinda bipolar at times and neither side are integrated into a more cohesive story.

They have done a very good job with the comedy side. Esp with the great acting performances given by the 2 leads as well as the supporting characters CLC, HY, the royal chef, KH, even the eunuchs. This has kept me waiting every week to see what comes next. 

The chemistry between the 2 also sell the romance very well as seen by the many many posts here LOL.

They did a great job of showing how the king fell in love with the queen. It wasn't love at first sight. He got to know all the ins and outs and then couldn't help but fall for her. More believable this way. I guess the same is true for BH but they didn't show it as well.

But the writers have not had the same success with the political side of their plot. The action, the scheming...

KJG who was the big bad main villain as BH said in the beginning has largely been swept to the side as the GQD and BI have been more active in the Kim clan side.

While the 2 clans are scheming and plotting and getting their power back, CJ's faction is almost non-existent, not much progress made, even lost what gains they got. The special director is overworked and can only do so much, Prince YP is largely useless and probably off angsting abt HJ in a corner somewhere instead of looking out for the dangers and pitfalls looming...

For it to be exciting, you want the good guys to be smarter and win against the odds, at least some of the time. And here we are at ep 18 and it feels like back to square one, even worse actually. At this point, you kinda want CJ's side to have the chance to fight back on close to equal terms.

BH revealing she isn't the real SY made me groan. WHY? It just wasn't smart or safe to reveal that (she hasn't even seriously told CJ!).  Should have just kept repeating to BI that she doesn't like him that way (since the real SY never did in truth) until he gets it in his thick delusional head.

Saying you are not the real SY would open you up to being beheaded or burned at the stake in those superstitious times as well as remove the only thing that was protecting her from BI killing her...

And I was right...

BI really is despicable enough to dangle a pregnant woman by her neck at the edge of a cliff bec she is not the SY he knew...I say it again, a sharp chef's knife would have come in handy at that time...

Supports my view of him from episodes ago that he doesn't really care abt anyone else except SY (more accurately, his feelings imposed on SY).

He is perfectly ok with torturing people (those guards even though he knew they had nothing to do with - was it the explosion?), even women and children to get what info he wants (the dong?? uprising). Perfectly ok with framing people too. Perfectly ok with blackmailing (his friend and 2nd in command) and outright threatening to kill, his previous allies (the ministers) into signing a document that could get all of them killed bec of his own agenda. He doesn't really even care at all abt his father. No longer listened to any warnings and reality check KH gives him.

And then that preview, BI now saves her bec of the miniscule chance that her residual memories might mean KSY is still in there somewhere??? Seriously? No, I don't want a redemption arc for him.  I would rather see him reap what he sowed. Be a cautionary tale and suffer the consequences of his actions. For me, that is a better story arc than him getting a redemption arc. Even if he dies to save the queen, it doesn't absolve him (though I wouldn't mind if it happens). Because most of the danger she's in now, he's played a part in by constantly going against CJ and undermining his power base.

The BI and Prince YP characters annoy me.

Oops! I'm ranting a bit? But I really am looking forward to how they resolve it all.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

Haven't watched GPG, but found this video of the title song juxtaposed with scenes featuring the romantic leads interesting (and a few others; you can almost identify their Mr. Queen counterparts). At least in this version, the lyrics suggest they are two souls in time that were looking for and always missing one another.

• Like 5

I knew it from the very first episode the chemistry between Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun would be intense and electrifying. When they locked eyes during their wedding I already felt intrigued by their chemistry.

From the cinematographic aspect this scene was filmed beautifully. The way they used the beads to obscure Cheoljong’s face because at that point of the story he was still mysterious and the beads were literally hiding his face - I have to admire the way they filmed this important moment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheoljong’s cold eyes back then gives me chills. He caught her when she stumbled but he still looked at their with so much despise.

• Like 11

I'm not sure if anyone here discussed about this before. I have been wondering about this since I watched the preview. But can anyone enlighten me why the heck should BI fight against his soldiers here? 

I meant, aren't they his soldiers who will follow his command? Wasn't he the one who command to search for her? Why should they attack him? Why can't he command something to them? Did I miss something? :sweat_smile:

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

6 minutes ago, skinnyjeans said:

I meant, aren't they his soldiers who will follow his command? Why should they attack him? Did I miss something? :sweat_smile:

Maybe they have secret, parallel orders from his father to 'help' him if he falters. Remember Sunwon wants to kill both the king and queen outside the palace, and they know his weakness toward the latter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My predictions for tomorrow's episode:
The end of the episode will be So Bong passing out to unravel the question of the chef and to explain to us whether he is the same soul or not.
I think BI will get a shaman to try to expel the chef's soul from SY's body

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 8:56 PM, Madu Mita said:

subbing team, fighiting. Im growing impatientfrustrated monsters university GIF

My prediction, we'll get a replay of this. :naughty:

Update: Not at Mita personally, we'll all be in that boat!

1 hour ago, Mila said:

My predictions for tomorrow's episode:
The end of the episode will be So Bong passing out to unravel the question of the chef and to explain to us whether he is the same soul or not.
I think BI will get a shaman to try to expel the chef's soul from SY's body

I do think we'll get some resolution to that tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, aisling said:

I don’t understand how this bright and happy girl is the same person we saw in flashbacks? How this cheerful girl turned into someone so serious and suicidal?

She was pressures from all directions. KJG wanted her to spy on her beloved man, both KJG-GQD wanted her as a puppet Queen who keeps her mouth shut and her legs open to pops out babies every now and then, her dad offered no solaces and the worst part is her man who supposed to weathered all of the challenges together despises her. The lake is the only way out....:brokenheart:

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, aisling said:

Kim Jung Hyun is is live again  :joy: Our broadcasting star!

Ommo...both he and Mama know what will keep us from breaking this weekend.

It's weird that to keep me from obsessing with them,I finally changed my playlist on Spotify ('80s New Wave, what could be farther from Joseon period, right?) but then guess what my mind's clips are dancing to with those electropop keyboards (Wishful Thinking on play now) ???? Guess.....

Oh mhan I'm so in trouble. Must sign up for that therapy again. :selfie:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3