[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

47 minutes ago, MinQi said:

It will be crazy if the writer choose to make both original So-Yong soul and Bong-Hwan soul share the same body like what happen in The Eternal Love S1 (C-drama). The people at the palace might think that the Queen has gone totally crazy if this happen :D 

I am down to see this happen! It would be interesting to see Bo Hwang and So Yong's interactions while sharing the same body I am sure it will be hilarious and SHS can totally pull it off!

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

Wow, I was not expecting this show to be so laden with innuendoes. Even then it’s nothing compared to what the c-drama was like. I’m hoping there is romance between the leads. The makers probably fear backlash but the chemistry is so good, it would be a pity not to use it.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, jannedrumsit said:

I am down to see this happen! It would be interesting to see Bo Hwang and So Yong's interactions while sharing the same body I am sure it will be hilarious and SHS can totally pull it off!

In The Eternal Love, when both original host and the FL share the body, their souls take turns using the body. Like once the original host go to sleep/faints/unconscious, the FL leads soul took over the body. If this happen, the only way for them to communicate is only by writing letters to each other :grin: (just imagine how Hyun Bin act as Robin and Goo Seo Jin in Hyde, Jekyll and Me, it will be somewhat like this...)

I can imagine how Shin Hye Sun act if the original So Yong is a soft-spoken, well-mannered kind of person (probably a combination of her character in Oh My Ghost & My Golden Life)

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

I can see why the ratings were high, and it is very justified. 

All the actors and actresses have done a great job so far. I really enjoyed the first two episodes that I can't wait for the next set to come out, even if some modern slang filters in the episodes and the Joseon people don't react to it. I'm assuming it's because they do not want to question a Queen. 

I am still a little confused about the structure of the Jo / Kim clan, but am sure that it will be further detailed in the following episodes. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, MinQi said:

Anyway, I read that this drama is actually inspired by a Chinese novel,  (also adapted in drama as Go Princess Go). But the drama has few alternate endings tho...

I saw Go Princess Go poster,and man, the emperor's face there seriously reminded me of our king here in Mr. Queen :o

I haven't watched ep2 yet, but I did check out Go Princess Go yesterday - the original C-drama. Boy, they really took that one to the next level and I doubt the Korean version has the guts to take it as far. :joy:

Basically Mr. Queen was trying to seduce every woman in the palace - quite explicitly too... hahah

Spoiler

i7Dx6gt.gif

This is a PG scene :joy:

I also checked out the ending (which there were multiple of). None of the endings actually match the original novel's ending (apparently due to some pretty strict broadcasting rules).

Will be interesting to see if the Korean version will go for the novel's ending or come up with its own ending.

@Min2206@Ameera Ali @booha If they follow the C-drama concept, we'll get to hear oppa's voice also past ep 1 and 2 - yay! :yay:

Ms. Koala's take on the first episodes:
http://koalasplayground.com/2020/12/13/tvn-drama-queen-cheorin-increases-ratings-in-episode-2-to-8-800-as-leads-shin-hye-sun-and-kim-jung-hyun-exude-mega-chemistry-and-laughs/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, partyon said:

@Min2206@Ameera Ali @booha If they follow the C-drama concept, we'll get to hear oppa's voice also past ep 1 and 2 - yay! 

Ms. Koala's take on the first episodes:
http://koalasplayground.com/2020/12/13/tvn-drama-queen-cheorin-increases-ratings-in-episode-2-to-8-800-as-leads-shin-hye-sun-and-kim-jung-hyun-exude-mega-chemistry-and-laughs/

Pali Pali ... @partyon  Hurry up on Epi 2 please .... please check out on the mysterious dragon balls .. s(he) was looking at the other guy's dragon.

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot Review | PC Gamer

pRhgu9Q.gif

• LOL 5

1 hour ago, partyon said:

I also checked out the romance part and the ending (which there were multiple of). None of the endings actually match the original novel's ending (apparently due to some pretty strict broadcasting rules).

Will be interesting to see if the Korean version will go for the novel's ending or come up with its own ending. In my opinion, the novel ending seems like the best option.

Now you make me curious to see how actually the original author wrote the novel ending... May I know, where did you read the full novel? Is there any translated version of the novel that I can access to?

Anyway, since I've already watch the second episode, my question about what is the original So-Yong personality has been answered. Her character may look like your typical villainess character in other drama, but I guess she still have her vulnerable side. Like one of the soompier here said, that original So-Yong might probably really fallen in love with the King, but I don't think the King reciprocate her feeling..

And that Royal Concubine Eui (still don't remember her name tho :vicx:) Man, she confused the hell out of me, I mean is she actually nice or she is actually just pretends to? Because she acts like she was all uncomfortable with the talisman and nonsense the Queen Dowager said, then she acts kinda haughty when she was with So-Yong, later acts all sweet with the King :blink:

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

This is like a parody of Moon Lovers, which one of my favs and i can't wait to see what's next. The actors are so good, eveything is so fresh and fun. When I read it's an adaptation I run to watch the highlights of the original drama and honestly,

Spoiler

I have no problem with the love story

I will not try to impose real life standards on a man who time traveled and changed souls with a historical queen.

Spoiler

Let them have fun, they are such a cute couple. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, Min2206 said:

Pali Pali ... @partyon  Hurry up on Epi 2 please .... please check out on the mysterious dragon balls .. s(he) was looking at the other guy's dragon.

LoL :D  I just watched ep 2 and it was daebak! I love this version!

5 hours ago, MinQi said:

Now you make me curious to see how actually the original author wrote the novel ending... May I know, where did you read the full novel? Is there any translated version of the novel that I can access to?

I have no idea if the full novel is available online, but I decided to check out the original 35 ep c-drama in fast forward style and afterwards read some recaps. Allsynopsis has recaps of the drama, including a reference to the original novel (with its original ending) as well as the c-drama endings.

Some thoughts about ep 2:

• It's clear that the king doesn't trust his queen ONE bit. She was a brat before playboy oppa entered her body. Chef oppa is a much more carefree character and despite his philandering ways, he's actually quite nice. It will be interesting to see the king get confused in the upcoming episodes when he realizes that his wife is actually a nice person.
  • The Royal Concubine has already shown some character traits in ep 2 which makes me believe she might not be all as innocent as she is pretending to be.
  • The politics are quite interesting in this drama. One of the reasons the king is wary of his wife is because she's from the Kim clan who holds a lot of the power in the palace. The queen has a lot of allies, but also people she needs to watch out for...
  • The gisaeng scene was hilarious. :D  I am glad that Chef oppa is still going strong even though he lost his dragon and dragon balls :D

@Maliah There is no way they will go as far as they did in the c-drama version, but am glad that they have kept some elements of it so far (like the gisaeng house).  I hope they include romance as well.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

@Maliah There is no way they will go as far as they did in the c-drama version, but am glad that they have kept some elements of it so far (like the gisaeng house).  I hope they include romance as well.

Yes, they certainly won’t go as far as the c-drama. In fact, I’m surprised the c-drama went there lol. I’m glad too that they kept the gisaeng house scene. It gives me hope about the romance. If there is romance, I wonder if the original queen has a part to play in it since Mr. Queen gets flashes of her memories. This did not happen in the Chinese version, and I always wanted to know what happens to the spirit of the person whose body is occupied. The c-drama did not expand on that, maybe this one will. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

7 hours ago, MinQi said:

And that Royal Concubine Eui (still don't remember her name tho :vicx:) Man, she confused the hell out of me, I mean is she actually nice or she is actually just pretends to? Because she acts like she was all uncomfortable with the talisman and nonsense the Queen Dowager said, then she acts kinda haughty when she was with So-Yong, later acts all sweet with the King :blink:

I thought the concubine's name was Jo Hwa-Jin. That was why the Grand Dowager told the king that it was dangerous to be that obvious and to put the queen first, because those two are also backed by two rival clans? And the Queen Dowager was pleased the King likes her. 

In any case I understand her to be haughty with So-Yong, since that is her rival for the King and apparently the two girls also had some confrontations in the past, which is when the Queen tried to talk to her nicely it was rather seen as mocking. And in a flashback it showed she was actually the one that did push the Queen? It could be a red herring I suppose. She only pushed her, but it didn't show further. 

2 hours ago, partyon said:
  • The politics are quite interesting in this drama. One of the reasons the king is wary of his wife is because she's from the Kim clan who holds a lot of the power in the palace. The queen has a lot of allies, but also people she needs to watch out for...

I am a bit confused about the politics right now as they just introduced the Kims and Jos. I understand the elder Kims and Jos role, but haven't yet really found out about the younger Kim, the one that is her cousin?

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

What I love of K-Drama is all the character has the mission an riddle to be solve. I think the real Queen soul asked Mr. Chef to help her revealing why she was pushed to the pool..and our Chef still have bad guys in the future to be handled when he back to his own time period.. The King also have his own agenda for the power.

In my opinion based on watching the first episode, the Queen feels and remember something that is not in the JBH's memory..maybe the real Queen Soul will back in her body sometimes...the OTP can have their wedding night or romance when the real soul back into her body..

It  will be a safer route for the writer so we can get funny and romantic comedic drama as well

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

47 minutes ago, Avocado80 said:

What I love of K-Drama is all the character has the mission an riddle to be solve. I think the real Queen soul asked Mr. Chef to help her revealing why she was pushed to the pool..and our Chef still have bad guys in the future to be handled when he back to his own time period.. The King also have his own agenda for the power.

giphy.gif
So can we have our Zoppa (Chef Jang) back one day?  :D @partyon

Love this Court Lady Choi's expression !

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

I'm enjoying this drama so much right now. Other than Bong Hwan funny and silly antics while he trying to fit himself in the queen body, the secrets and hidden agendas of the main leads and second leads made this drama more interesting

I like the queen aka Bong Hwan funny silly character after his soul entered her body, the duality of king character and the concubine character because she seem not too evil neither too nice. And it seems the second male lead character will be revealed in the later episode.

I'm so happy that Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun were chosen as the main casts. Not only they have good acting skills, they also have great chemistry with each other.

But I read today news in Indonesian language that some of the Korean viewer complained about this drama and it will be reviewed. They are not complaining about the homosexuality issue or like that but they complained about Korean history that according to them were "distorted" and the use of sexual word in this drama.

The new is in the Indonesian, I have to translate using google translate since my English is not that good LOL:

English Translation:

Today the South Korean Broadcasting Commission stated, "As of noon today there have been 763 complaints from viewers coming to us regarding tvN's drama 'Mr. Queen.' We will review these complaints and process them according to the existing procedures."

Drama 'Mr. Queen 'received a lot of protests for being considered too distorting history and historical figures, demeaning cultural heritage, and use of words that are sexual in nature.

The most complained part is Queen Shinjeong who is a historical figure made into a character who believes in the mystical and part of the cultural heritage of Joseon Wangjo Shillok (Records of the Joseon Kingdom) which is called just an ordinary tabloid.

End of translation.

News in Indonesian language:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIzebueLowk/

So does this means some scenes of this drama will get edit started next week? I can't speak about the Korean history whatnot since I'm not a Korean myself, but if they cut out the history part and the some sexual innuendoes, then this drama plot will be kinda disjointed and not flow smoothly since those part are important in this drama, right?

Some of the local netizen comments:

credit to the owner

I wish the screenwriter of this drama made this drama based on the fantasy royalties and kingdom in ancient Korea instead of the real historical figures. Now their local netizen are complaining and some scenes may get cut out:facepalm:

Can any viewer who is Korean or know Korean language verify this news? Will this drama get edit and some scenes get cut out?:crymeme:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

My personal opinion.

The producion team and the beginning of drama already stated clearly that the drama is fictional and the characters and events are unrelated to historical events. Also they already presented this drama as 'fusion' + 'comedy' + 'sageuk' drama , they didn't say or try to sell it as a sageuk 'based on true story with accurate historical fact'. I think most audiences can distinguish between comedy vs reality.

Regarding the issue about the original story was from Chinese writer who is anti-Korean, it has nothing to do with the content of drama. 

Instead I think this drama's trying to present a lot about historical Korean costumes, foods, royal manners, wedding ceremony, political conflict between Andong Kim and Pungyang Jo clan. Everything may not be 100% accurate becaust it's a comedy drama, but it helped made more people interested and want to know more about Korean cultures.  And also the production, story and especially acting in this Korean version are far better than the original. I think Korean people should be more proud that their country has many talented actors and production teams to make a good drama like this from original low-cost drama to achieve this kind of love and attention worldwide. 

Another thing I want to point out is that Bong Hwan is the character who represents the view of us audiences in the modern time on how we sometimes look back to our own historical cultures, because of time differences or our lack of enough understanding, at first we may find it wierd or ridiculous the way Bong Hwan felt. But I believe in the later episode when Bong Hwan spends more times in that era and gradually transformed to be So Yong, he/she will becomes appreciated the value and nostalgic beauty of the past cultures. I think that's also a thing that this drama wants to add. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

Bonghwan was just being his cynical self. I never understood the line about the Annals of Joseon as a statement that could be taken seriously. I'm not going to think SK history is a joke just because a cynical character made that comment. Some knets just love to spoil the fun. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1