[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

17 hours ago, 1004_hans said:

Yes, true. I am not talking about the well scene. Actually I'm referring to their meeting in the spin-off, you should go see it

17 hours ago, Yeojachingudeul said:

Correct me if im wrong, but i think after watching the spin off, 

He did fall in love with the real SY in the spin off ep 1 while standing infront of the snow, ( he even kept SY’s hair decoration that she used to tie his injured arm, he was smiling when he saw her in the queen coronation BUT he blocked his own feeling and become prejudiced after knowing she comes from KIm clan)...

so i guess they wanted to convince the audiences more that it was SY indeed the one that he loves since the beginning.

Oh don't worry I've watched it. That's another additional problem of the drama - if you don't include such an extremely important crucial moment in your series and leave it out for some special spin-off episode your series is irrelevant and basically pointless. The series has some 20+ hours and they couldn't include that one scene? Why doesn't CJ remember that moment in the drama and in all of his flashbacks he only remembers the time BH was in charge of SY's body? Also, the meeting never appears in So Bong's flashbacks of So Yong's life either. Plus the spin-off got greenlit in the middle of the drama airing because of its success so it had never been originally planned to happen. So that one scene is an aritifical glued-in nonsense to justify the ending which the writer would have written just by the time the spin-off was announced because kdramas don't have completed script at the time when they began to film.

EuM9UlMXYAABr_4?format=jpg&name=large

Moreover, when CJ was confessing his love to So Bong he was describing Bong Hwan's personality, not So Yong's, and not even once did he mention how he already loved her before but had to deny his feelings and supress them because she was from the Kim clan. That's an information you would expect to be included in such a confession. So Bong literally asks him why he loves the Queen and he never mentions their first meeting or her kindness.

EuM99PNXUAoo2TY?format=jpg&name=small

Spoiler

a73a15438d0c9e0e5b703ba8a5fc5cb7a539b49b

Let me tell you something, if Cheoljong had no problems killing "So Yong" after their fairytale-like meeting, he didn't really love her. The only reason he didn't kill her was because he ended up being distracted by Bong Hwan's strange reaction and Byeong In. On the other hand, when Bong Hwan was in danger, he was willing to sacrifice his own life without a second thought. These are not the eyes of a man who is torn because of his lingering feelings of love for the woman in front of him. There is no hesitation or regret, only cold determination to eliminate her if she proves to be a threat:

Spoiler

EuM_RTdXUAsD0A5?format=jpg&name=large

EuM_RTtXIAkEbnV?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

EuM_RTDXAAIP76M?format=jpg&name=largeEuM_RSSXcAYpxWn?format=jpg&name=large

Also, as I mentioned in my previous post, the whole drama was against the idea of love at first sight. Cheoljong fell in love with Hwa Jin gradually when they become reunited after he came back from exile and he fell in love with Bong Hwan gradually.

• Like 10
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 2

Is anybody going to rewatch this drama knowing the ending? Like all those moments between Cheoljong and So Bong will mean NOTHING in the end. He didn’t even recognise it wasn’t the same person anymore.

I hope Kim So Yong is happy that someone else won over Cheoljong’s trust and heart for her when she couldn’t do it herself. How is she like take all of glory when Bong Hwan did everything? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just saw a few clips from the spin-off that was released tonight and I think they did that on purpose to appease the fans?

If we think about it, the spin-off was confirmed whilst Mr Queen was into its airing already and then they started filming for it so I feel that the writers had to play it safe for the conservative audience with the drama ending BUT THEN decided to write the spin-off because that is how they potentially wanted it to end!!

It could also be that they saw the response of some fans and how they wanted SB-CJ as end-game and had the confidence to end the drama potentially with the love and support from viewers/fans (sans back-lash) so went for it on a more subtle platform (i.e. tving app)

It is honestly quite sad that they couldn't show it in the finale but at least we got a proper closure with the spin-offs!

I'm treating the last episode of the spin-off (where the main squad are outside watching the shooting star) as the ACTUAL ending because SB is still SB and she is still with CJ and the rest of the squad and it feels like a nice sending-off.

In it CJ wishes that:

If you watch it, SB is still SB so he is actually wishing that THIS VERSION of SY/SB to be reborn with himself so I take that as closure for my broken heart from the finale that we got a couple of hours ago :(

I don't know if I'm just doing this to appease my broken heart haha but I'm taking the spin-offs as the REAL FINALE and I have a feeling the writers and production team decided to write/release this spin-off series ON PURPOSE because:

(a) people that want to believe SY was the one who CJ always loved from the start got that from the first ep in the spin-off and they can use that as a reasoning for the drama ending (although I personally believe that was just infatuation, because sorry how can you fall in love with someone in a 2-minute interaction ??? haha and CJ fell in love with SB and her personality/antics but that's another thing....)

(b) the people that wanted the real SB-CJ ending got that with the 2nd-ep of the spin-off and in this way they veered away from the conservative audience and the TV platform as  I think they had to do due to prejudices still in society and could release this for the rest of us :') 

• Like 5
  • Blob 3

I loved the payoff to the Choi-chef love story. He invited her to have ramen as a softer, piano version of the love circle theme (la-ah-ah!) was playing. :tounge_wink:

I also liked the just desserts to our baddies, though I really think So Bong had earned the take-down of Sunwon. The brother was the king's nemesis, and the sister was hers.

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

5 minutes ago, briseis said:

The series has some 20+ hours and they couldn't include that one scene?

YESSSS!! ABOUT THIS ONE, I COULDN'T BE AGREE MORE! WHY THO WHY?

Once again I am not against CJ-SB ending, but I just can't support the idea of Bonghwan staying in Joseon Era, I don't know why maybe it's just me but he has his life, meet 'another CJ' in the modern era maybe more suitable to me. But yea don't mind me if we have different opinion, fans always do, and we respect each other right?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Honestly this ending become the best ending for me. 2 souls in 1 body and the souls from future become dominant and help the person to stand up and clear the misunderstanding. I clearly accept that ending because I ever watched that kind of stories about from future to travel time and there's 2 souls in 1 body. I also ever read that kind of stories from novel.

As I ever mentioned that actually KSY & JBH not much different inside. But KSY as a woman in Joseon era, she had her own limited condition. She pretended became bad and awful just to make herself not become the Queen, she didn't want her life become weapon of her family to destroy the king, she thought that worsen her name as awful lady would be success. But in the end, she still couldn't help the king plus the king became more hate her, their misunderstanding became worse. In that hopeless condition, with JBH's soul help her, JBH's soul dominant in her body. But what happened with her, KSY's soul still there, she just reacted to some condition or influenced JBH

And why JBH after back to her body seemed normal, not missing CJ or the baby? For this, I need to watch again with subtitles soon.

This is the best ending that beyond my imagination. All back to their place. JBH need to clear his name and he still have his own dream and family right?

About CJ, he ever said that before their marriage, KSY already weird for Joseon era. But after their marriage, meant after JBH came, KSY became more weird. 

Okay please don't hate me if I have this happiness about the ending, chingu....

Some tips, try to watch many genres and many dramas not only Korean, but also Mainland, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, and many more, so we can get various stories or theories. Plus disclaimer that's fictional story, so sometimes could not make sense. Don't be too serious.

• Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

3 minutes ago, blueyyy said:

Just saw a few clips from the spin-off that was released tonight and I think they did that on purpose to appease the fans?

If we think about it, the spin-off was confirmed whilst Mr Queen was into its airing already and then they started filming for it so I feel that the writers had to play it safe for the conservative audience with the drama ending BUT THEN decided to write the spin-off because that is how they potentially wanted it to end!!

It could also be that they saw the response of some fans and how they wanted SB-CJ as end-game and had the confidence to end the drama potentially with the love and support from viewers/fans (sans back-lash) so went for it on a more subtle platform (i.e. tving app)

It is honestly quite sad that they couldn't show it in the finale but at least we got a proper closure with the spin-offs!

I'm treating the last episode of the spin-off (where the main squad are outside watching the shooting star) as the ACTUAL ending because SB is still SB and she is still with CJ and the rest of the squad and it feels like a nice sending-off.

In it CJ wishes that:

If you watch it, SB is still SB so he is actually wishing that THIS VERSION of SY/SB to be reborn with himself so I take that as closure for my broken heart from the finale that we got a couple of hours ago :(

I don't know if I'm just doing this to appease my broken heart haha but I'm taking the spin-offs as the REAL FINALE and I have a feeling the writers and production team decided to write/release this spin-off series ON PURPOSE because:

(a) people that want to believe SY was the one who CJ always loved from the start got that from the first ep in the spin-off and they can use that as a reasoning for the drama ending (although I personally believe that was just infatuation, and CJ feel in love with SB and her personality/antics but that's another thing....)

(b) the people that wanted the real SB-CJ ending got that with the 2nd-ep of the spin-off and in this way they veered away from the conservative audience and the TV platform as  I think they had to do due to prejudices still in society and could release this for the rest of us :') 

this makes me feel better - I didn't watch that episode just the clip but it's definitely a way more satisfying closure - the king finally says her name - So Yong in his wish! (although technically we call her So Bong lol)

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I've been a lurker on this thread for the past couple of weeks, but this finale has me feeling so many mixed emotions that I felt the need to make an account. 

While I loved the show, there were so many holes/loose ends. Like I know people are trying to say that CJ loved SY first, but is that really true? He told HJ that he didn't love her because he thought she was the girl from the well, but because he liked her when he met her again as an adult. So, that's not why he loves SY. 

And I don't think that he truly "loved" her when he saw her before her appointment as queen either. They literally met the day before he appointed her as queen for like 5-10 minutes. That's not falling in love for me. You can't truly love someone after meeting them for 5 minutes. They were interested in each other, yes. You could even say that they were infatuated with each other, but I don't think they were in love. You can't love someone you don't know. 

Plus, like people here have already said, CJ closed his heart to her immediately the next day when he found out that she was a Kim. It got to the point that SB described his gaze at SY at the lake as one of hate. He didn't open himself up to her until after BH was in her body. She didn't really know him and he didn't know her until she became SB. So can we really say that he loved SY first?? It doesn't make sense to me. While I'm happy that SY got justice for the stuff that happened to her, I find it unfair that she was just in her subconscious while BH had control of her body and worked so hard to make CJ's dream come true. 

What happens after this? Does CJ really not notice that so many of her traits and characteristics are gone? Are we just supposed to forget that he said he loved her and all her faults? And according to some translations, he still dies young so??? 

And BH is just supposed to move on and pretend that he didn't have another life back in Joseon? That he didn't care for the family he made? Yeon and Choi and the chef are just palace workers so chances are that he won't be able to learn about what happened to them in a history book. Is he just supposed to forget about them? And what about the baby? He grew to love the baby, but never even got to meet or hold him. He forged all of these relationships and put his all into Joseon even when he knew history said they would lose and he's just supposed to forget that and move on? 

This ending isn't fair to CJ, SY, or BH.

Edited by Peachi
Reworded some things
  • Like 10
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

I don’t buy a theory that the writer intended to have 2 souls in one body. So JBH’s soul did all the dirty works and JSY’s soul emerged when it times to romances CJ?? How convenient....IF there’s 2 souls in one body, SB didn’t needs to physically dived into the lake to found out KSY’s memory.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m so traumatised I don’t think I will be able to sleep for days. I’m so devastated, disappointed, heartbroken by that ending. My brain just doesn’t comprehend how the brilliant show ended like a crap. Nothing makes sense.

I’m going to keep my promise to blacklist those two writers forever. Never more. 

You all know how much I loved this drama till the last episode happened. I loved it with my heart and soul. I dedicated 10 weeks of my time and heart to this drama. If I didn’t love so much, I wouldn’t be this heartbroken. But the fact that all interactions and sweet/funny moments between So Bong and Cheoljong means crap in the end... why to bother rewatching? Why to bother have your heart flutter when in the end those moments meant nothing.

This is literally the worst ending I can imagine. I made fun of this version of the ending several times before because I couldn’t imagine someone would be stupid enough to write such a BAD ending. Even if they both died it’d be a better ending. 

If I didn’t love So Bong/Cheoljong so much, my tears wouldn’t be falling as I type. The fact that their romance was perfect until the last episode makes it even worse for letting go. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

This Kdrama was written for a Korean audiences, not international fans. So so if the majority of the targeted  audiences  are  satisfied,  who i am to disagree. BUT, I can see why Netflix didn't pick up Mr. Queen for an international audiences, as a weekly series. Maybe it can be added  to Netflix  all at once and it might have a good reception.  I do fault the Writers with the execution, I would have preferred more of a happy ending for Bong Hwan.  I love episodes 1-19. 20 can kick rocks. Waiting for subs on the spin-off.  But I will never watch an ongoing drama again. This is reminds me of why I always watch the last episode and then decide the whole series.

Edited by Rae
Additional information
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

5 minutes ago, aisling said:

I’m so traumatised I don’t think I will be able to sleep for days. I’m so devastated, disappointed, heartbroken by that ending. My brain just doesn’t comprehend how the brilliant show ended like a crap. Nothing makes sense.

I’m going to keep my promise to blacklist those two writers forever. Never more. 

You all know how much I loved this drama till the last episode happened. I loved it with my heart and soul. I dedicated 10 weeks of my time and heart to this drama. If I didn’t love so much, I wouldn’t be this heartbroken. But the fact that all interactions and sweet/funny moments between So Bong and Cheoljong means crap in the end... why to bother rewatching? Why to bother have your heart flutter when in the end those moments meant nothing.

This is literally the worst ending I can imagine. I made fun of this version of the ending several times before because I couldn’t imagined someone would be stupid enough to write such a BAD ending. Even if they both died it’d be a better ending. 

If I didn’t love So Bong/Cheoljong so much, my tears wouldn’t be falling as I type. The fact that their romance was perfect until the last episode makes it even worse for letting go. 

owww chingu! *sends virtual hug* - the spinoff ending is much much better - I agree with the comments above that they must have purposely done this to appease both the conservatives (since it's a cable TV drama) and the rest (through TVing app) - I would say - rewatch till the beginning 10min of ep 20 and then switch to the last three mini-episodes and have filler fanfic to cover gaps - practical way to deal with this kdrama trauma :sweat_smile: 

12 minutes ago, grimreaper said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the events in the spin-off take place during the 20 episodes? I read somewhere that these are moments that couldn’t be shown in the main drama so they aired it in the spin-off.

I think except the first mini-episode, all other five episodes seem to take place during the 20 episodes

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

But how do you narratively explain that we got 19,5 episodes of Jang Bong Hwan’s point of view and then they shoved him out like was wasn’t important at all?

Why don’t I feel like So Yong deserved that happy ending with Cheoljong. She couldn’t do anything for him except for jumping into a lake. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4

Let us also appreciate that there's no kiss scene between SY and CJ - I would have seriously flipped tables and charged storming I don't know where if they ruined SB/CJ relationship like that. Since, I have calmed down considerably in the last few hours - I can sort of empathise why the writers chose this way - although I really wish they found another way - guess you can't keep everyone satisfied and the domestic audience/conditions will take priority - are the knetz reactions out? what are they saying?

1 minute ago, aisling said:

But how do you narratively explain that we got 19,5 episodes of Jang Bong Hwan’s point of view and then they shoved him out like was wasn’t important at all?

Why don’t I feel like So Yong deserved that happy ending with Cheoljong. She couldn’t do anything for him except for jumping into a lake. 

the way I see it (at least how I got closure) - there are two different endings for broadly two different audience groups - the cable version ending where SY returns for the SY loyalists/traditional conservative male-female pairing etc etc and TVing version where So Bong still remains SB even till the end - we can pick our happy ending :) 
only thing is we need to overlook some plot loopholes here and there 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Insightful 1

Who knew that the last moment of intimacy between Cheoljong and So Bong would be them crammed into a cart? "No time for that now," they said. "We'll have all the time in the world to show our affection after we win." :weary:

I figured he'd return to the present and resolve his story there. But it does feel like something that was earned and fought for was lost (I felt the same anger after reading Stephen King's It when the kids forgot the relationships and victory they had earned).

Hearing their love song after this won't be the same.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Well, well well...if I was BongHwan and at that intense moment I saw this: 

spacer.png

I wouldn't just laugh....maybe in the first seconds of emotions going out. But I would surely, AFTER all I've been through....ended to cry an endless lake of sorrow and heartbreaking...

Loved so much the male/female swaping, the open minded and reaserchfull part of characters that were finding each other whaterever it takes. It seemed complex and intrigiging.

But, it ended commonly, comfortable. Grey as the sky Bonghwan is facing alone in Seoul.

I think he is just ready for a psycho analysis now.

Because the clown is not CJ. The clown of this story is BH.

And the one really drowned deep in lake is SB.

spacer.pngEven the title of the drama drowns in the water. Lefted...meaningless.

Edited by Lillybleue
spelling
  • Like 8
  • Sad 4