[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

I felt a little sad for our king here. Look at

how his face lit up when he saw So Bong. He’s so excited when he sees her.

spacer.png

Poor baby looks disappointed because she acts cold and indifferent.

spacer.png

But then he comes up with a an explanation because he’s a fool in love. 
spacer.png

Gosh, I want to see So Bong being infatuated by her king too!

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

4 hours ago, Raffles said:

Loved the Queen's dictionary. I wonder if that might survive into the modern era, perhaps be found in a museum? Did anyone see the German film "The Lives of Others"? Remember how it ended?

I'm fine with the balance between politics and romance when viewing the show as a whole rather than discrete episodes. We did just come off 3-4 relationship-heavy episodes, and it's time to move the plot along a bit!

Speaking of which, Mr. Queen appears to be following the Western 3-act structure.

• Act 1 was about meeting all the characters and learning about life in Sobong's new world. It ended when she returned from the modern era and realized she wasn't going to solve (run away from) her problems by jumping into a lake.
  • We're now well into Act 2, when complications arise and become more serious (given the genre). Externally, Sobong is further from home than ever, and her position at court is increasingly uncertain. Internally, she is being yanked between the familiar yang and an increasingly assertive yin. Her relationship with the king is deepening, of course, and in some ways her relationship with the royal chef is just as important. It shows us how her egocentric nature is changing and she is beginning to think of and act on behalf of others. (She still has her horn-dog lapses, as we just saw...)
  • If the writers adhere to the 3-act structure, we are about to reach the midpoint of Act 2, when the characters typically experience a game-changing reversal that spins the plot into a new direction. The king's hand is being forced, and he will have to show his true face. When he does, the knives come out and the happy little show with eunuchs racing food around the palace is over.  
  • I suspect the second half of Act 2 will move into a palace rebellion phase. We've seen wardrobe changes that suggest this. Sobong will have to abandon her manic pet projects and declare herself, just as the king does. This will mean facing her own feelings as well as backing her king publicly. (Doesn't it feel like she and the king are in two different shows sometimes?) She has always, man or woman, run away from her problems. That must change for her to grow as a person.

Having said all this, I could be really off-base. The show writers have said they aren't entirely following the drama template, so they may pull their punches.

Anyway this show sure is fun to speculate about!

I totally agree with your opinions!

I feel like this too and after watching with subtitles I actually like episode 11.

Queen So Bong brings the fun in the comedy part while King Cheol Jong brings the action in the political part.

:partyblob:

(Doesn't it feel like she and the king are in two different shows sometimes?)

I feel in this drama not only the main male lead and main female lead are in the two different shows, the second female lead and second male lead also have their own show LOOL

It seems like the screenwriter intentionally make all of them like that haha:lol:

credit to the owner

My suggestions for their own dramas titles:

Cheol Jong - Watch Out, I'm The King Of Joseon!

Plot: The rise of a puppet king that pretended to be dumb for the sake of his nation.

Genre: Revenge, Thriller

Spoiler

credit to the owner

So Bong - Help! A Chef's Soul In A Queen's Body? : The Case Of My Identity Crisis

Plot: The tale of a wondering soul discovering about his/her physical gender.

Genre: Comedy, Romance or Bromance or whatever it is called

Spoiler

credit to the owner

Hwa Jin - Your Majesty, Although I Lied To You But My Love Is True

Plot: The woman with a bitter secret since her childhood about the true incident at the well.

Genre: Makjang, Suspense

*Makjang: a sylistic, tonal, or narrative element in dramas that chooses to play up outrageous storylines to keep viewers hooked despite how ridiculous the stories become (adultery, revenge, rape, birth secrets, fatal illnesses, and flirting with incest possibilities are some makjang favorites).

Shows can be part of a makjang class of dramas (Wife’s Temptation is a makjang series), or they can have makjang tendencies (Mary Stayed Out All Night went makjang toward the end).

Generally considered a negative thing (“Gah, how makjang can you get?”), unless a drama intentionally embraces the style (such as Baker King Kim Tak-gu or Flames of Desire).

Spoiler

credit to the owner

Byung In - Kim So Yong, My Painful Forbidden Love

Plot: The struggle of an easily teary-eyed man who fell in love with his adopted cousin.

Genre: Melodrama, Tragedy

Spoiler

credit to the owner

Also a honorable mention of a drama's title for a character in this drama:

Spoiler

credit to the owner

2 hours ago, kwayteow_mama said:

wanna share something i just saw on twitter :)

SHS pretty in pink

Yes, I realized that after the scenes where our queen riding the palanquin together with her king to return to the palace, she looks more cuter and her appearance kind of glow up now:D

The secret?

A hot make out session with her I-didn't-realized-yet-that-I-already-fallen-for-you-again husband

hohoho (imitate her husband fake laugh)

Spoiler

credit to the owner

Yes, my royal couple started their journey in becoming each other allies against those annoying court official! 

Go go my royal couple! As a 100% anti-fan I'm rooting for you!

credit to the owner

• Like 9
  • Insightful 2

The second leads got shocked:

credit to the owner

And decided to take action against our royal couple:

credit to the owner

We are happy that it is still weekend but your loyal anti-fan craving to see more interactions between you and your queen, your majesty!

credit to the owner

• Like 8

does anyone know what the lots that the queen dowager drew meant?

jo clan: rabbit (lowest)

king: injong (9th card)

queen: fish (8th card)

does that mean that the king and queen got the highest 2 cards? and that they'll triumph the crisis?

i really hope so because the ep 12 preview is so hard to watch with cheoljong so upset D:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

Queen Dowager to Mr Queen: You do not even hide your dislike of me. When I was the queen, such actions would not happen.

Me: This entire show is full of "disrespect" towards the royals, and the Queen. People aren't properly bowing, or even greeting, or any other things.

And the worst? Hwa Jin. She's just possessive and delusional as hell.

• Like 4

I don’t know if anybody else felt anxious when Cheoljong wrote this? Because it sounded like a foreshadowing? He didn’t even send it to her... it’d probably reveal too much of his feelings for her.

vzLwTtS.jpg

kXe0lHm.jpg

I feel uneasy because it sounds like a goodbye note. It sounds like something a dying lover would say.

I have watched quite a few sageuks and this sounds eerily like “Be sure to find me in our next lifetime.” 

Spoiler

Like this scene from drama Princess’ Man that’s still traumatising me 10 years later.

m120Y3M.jpg

3ESZHRf.jpg
fX9zH9f.jpg

Star-crossed lovers are always the most tragic :tears:

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Shin Hye Sun And Kim Jung Hyun Remain Calm In The Midst Of Crisis In “Mr. Queen”

9603f1f45b744955946e74586d507d42.jpeg?s=

Jan 17, 2021
by S. P

tvN’s “Mr. Queen” revealed new stills ahead of tonight’s episode!

“Mr. Queen” is a historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul is trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty. Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the Joseon queen with the soul of Blue House chef Jang Bong Hwan trapped inside her. Kim Jung Hyun plays her husband King Cheoljong, who is a weak and ineffective king on the outside but is stronger and sharper than he appears.

Spoilers

Despite Kim So Yong’s attempts to sort out her confused feelings for King Cheoljong, the two individuals have only been growing closer. When Kim So Yong’s note fell into King Cheoljong’s hands, they ended up writing notes back and forth all night. Meanwhile, crisis also befell the celebratory banquet as precious ingredients became unable to be used and Queen Sunwon (Bae Jong Ok) suggested a sudden bout of martial arts. To make matters worse, Kim So Yong found herself in danger as Jo Hwa Jin (Seol In Ah) aimed an arrow directly at her.

New stills preview the tension at the scene of the banquet. King Cheoljong had planned to order Prince Yeongpyeong (Yoo Min Kyu) to collect the ingredients needed for the banquet. A sense of urgency falls over Cheoljong’s face as Prince Yeongpyeong delivers an urgent message, and Kim So Yong looks on with sadness in her eyes. In the final still, Kim So Yong stands with her mouth agape in astonishment amidst the chaos of the banquet, leading viewers to wonder what new incident will occur.

Kim-Jung-Hyun-Yoo-Min-Kyu.jpg

Shin-Hye-Sun5.jpg

The drama’s production team hinted at the upcoming turn of events as they shared, “The ‘no touch’ couple of Kim So Yong and Cheoljong will come to a mutual understanding as they face an unexpected predicament. Kim So Yong’s leap to action after she detects the crisis that will befall Cheoljong will be an interesting development.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1449109wpp/shin-hye-sun-and-kim-jung-hyun-remain-calm-in-the-midst-of-crisis-in-mr-queen

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, poopytubby said:

does anyone know what the lots that the queen dowager drew meant?

jo clan: rabbit (lowest)

king: injong (9th card)

queen: fish (8th card)

does that mean that the king and queen got the highest 2 cards? and that they'll triumph the crisis?

i really hope so because the ep 12 preview is so hard to watch with cheoljong so upset D:

I was wondering about that too

But, in Chinese, no 9 means luck :blush: and dragon as well. so hopefully our King and Queen will get the luck after the Surit nal crisis.

I want to share some other theories from Dramamilk. I like their theories.

Let's see what's happening tonight!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, skinnyjeans said:

I was wondering about that too

But, in Chinese, no 9 means luck :blush: and dragon as well. so hopefully our King and Queen will get the luck after the Surit nal crisis.

thanks!! i actually didn't know about 9 and i completely forgot she called the queen's lot "dragon" because the han character written on the back of the lot was fish lel. fingers crossed for our royal couple!

• Like 2

That military display was superb, especially the sparring between the two male leads! Simply fantastic! I loved the performances and the displays. I can't imagine the hardwork that must have gone behind it. Hats off! Both the male leads did such an amazing job! It started with the dance performance and ended with those gravity defying stunts! This episode was on a different level of intensity altogether. When I asked for intensity and tension, I didn't think of this but I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. The tension is brewing and I am much eager to see the outburst.

I feel something bad might happen to the Queen, because everyone's out to get her. Hwa Jin , the deluded fool has handed over the greatest weapon to the Second Queen. And the First Queen's brother is out to make the King weaker and would probably do something to attack him where it hurts the most, and in this case, the Queen.

I don't find anything wrong with the Second Male lead. He doesn't know that the King's feelings are changing. He is only aware of the indifference the King had previously shown to the Queen which made her suicidal and later he even tried to kill her. So I don't really blame him for his misguided sense of justice.

Also, is there anything better than two handsome men fighting, literally fighting over a beautiful woman?:heart3:

• Like 4