[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

@enzekRight you are! That's why my chosen username. I fall for the SML more than the ML:tears:. I like the SML here, there was something similar to a courtly love, a knight pining for the love of the Queen. But he seems to be turning viler by the day.

Also, sorry for being daft here, so having ramyan is an innuendo for sex? I am new to Kdramas and I think there was a reference to the same in My Id is Gangnam Beauty. I think it was. My bad! I never really understood the subtle reference.

Dying to watch the episode 14. Please hurry and sub.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, confusedheart326 said:

@enzekRight you are! That's why my chosen username. I fall for the SML more than the ML:tears:. I like the SML here, there was something similar to a courtly love, a knight pining for the love of the Queen. But he seems to be turning viler by the day.

Also, sorry for being daft here, so having ramyan is an innuendo for sex? I am new to Kdramas and I think there was a reference to the same in My Id is Gangnam Beauty. I think it was. My bad! I never really understood the subtle reference.

Oh yeah, “Do do want to eat ramyun with me” is an euphemism for “Do you want to have sex with me” if I put it bluntly. It’s been a k-drama trope as long as I remember (I’ve been watching k-dramas over 10 years).

But usually this sentence is said by an innocent female lead who doesn’t know a dirty meaning behind it, so it always makes a male lead blush, cough, stutter, and so on.

Actually, our king, Kim Jung Hyun, explained this in his previous drama Crash Landing On You. It was one of the cutest scene he had in that drama :cutekitty:

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

To be honest the second male lead here is more delusional than the second female lead that it is so ridiculous. 

Hwa Jin has a more reasonable reason why she upset and angry about the king affection to queen although she lied to him that she was his savior. At the beginning, the king said that he doesn't has any feeling towards the queen and she is also his trusted person. I means at least the king and Hwa Jin are in a relationship before he fallen for his queen even it was based on lie.

But for Byung In? So Yong totally rejected him before the she married the king and now after she get married she draw the line again so why Byung In become so delusional?:expressionless:

Spoiler

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

A woman/man inviting a man/woman a bowl of ramyun (instant noodle) is like "Netflix and Chill" in Korea.

Spoiler

You can watch it at 0:16 until 0:19

credit to the owner

Can't blame the queen though, her king looks hot in black

Spoiler

Even they didn't do the long hot kiss like before in this scene, I feel it is so beautiful

Spoiler

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

Actually he is quite observant towards her from the beginning

credit to the owner

And the way she stare at him with such a puppy eyes

Spoiler

King and Queen auras!

Congrats to both talented Kim Jung Hyun and talented Shin Hye Sun!

credit to the owner

Text preview for episode 15

credit to the owner

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, enzek said:

To be honest the second male lead here is more delusional than the second female lead that it is so ridiculous. 

Hwa Jin has a more reasonable reason why she upset and angry about the king affection to queen although she lied to him that she was his savior. At the beginning, the king said that he doesn't has any feeling towards the queen and she is also his trusted person. I means at least the king and Hwa Jin are in a relationship before he fallen for his queen even it was based on lie.

But for Byung In? So Yong totally rejected him before the she married the king and now after she get married she draw the line again so why Byung In become so delusional?:expressionless:

Is Byung In delusional? I don't think so. His ambition is just greater than his feelings for the Queen, or he thinks he can still win her over, despite her rejection. That's not really delusional, but not getting over it bordering on obsession.

Whereas Hwa Jin literally blames Mr Queen for everything bad happening. Yeah she has hurt feelings because the King now seems to prefer Mr Queen instead of her, but also they are wife and husband in the eyes of the law and the country. 

Byung In and Hwa Jin both disrepect the royalty, but Hwa Jin does it far more often and blatantly, even just visiting the Queen's home without reason and then acting there as if that was her own house, and hitting her with the arrow, for example

• Like 3

hahahaha!! So hilarious this couple!

I bet after episode 15 Cheoljong will know, what the queen means when she asks him if he wants to eat ramyeon!:sipsboba: It will be something new to learn from his queen after all!

Cheoljong (I think he didn't really want to see her cry, she was teary-eyed) from saying

Kings do not lie (at Sobong's house gate) to his showing him crossing his fingers behind his back! The queen is also transforming the very proper king into something different entirely. :Pandabulous:

• Like 3

EP 14

Huh, when drama showed blind lady writing, it began with "queen," but when they showed the whole sentence, it began with "danger." I think the words even got messier when it was shown in full sentence.

I'm glad So Bong did see Cheol Jong during the act, even if s/he dismissed it. So Bong even pointed out later that s/he would have still liked it even if s/he knew it was Cheol Jong. Also, in preview, So Bong seems to quickly accept it and want to sleep with Cheol Jong again.

I believe the queen's body is only possessed by Jang Bong Hwan's soul, but the soul is adopting to So Yong's body, especially after her memories have returned, so that the soul would not be repelled from the body. In a sense, by accepting So Yong's physical body and memories, the soul has become bisexual and already comfortable with female physical body. It's fantasy, so I guess that works. S/he did really become "Jang So Yong."

I'm hoping Hong Yeon get rejected. I want the drama to show that both man and woman can get their feelings rejected. After all, Kim Hwan and Hong Yeon fell in love for exact same reason. The looks and small kindness. 

I think the bromance between Kim Hwan and Special Director Hong might win this love triangle. I mean they are minor characters, so I don't know if it will end as bromance or romance. These days, kdrama is ok as long as they are minor characters. That's why I'm happy about So Bong. S/he is technically trans bisexual at this point, and s/he is main character, the protagonist!

Prince Yeong Phyeong finally seems to figure out that something is up when he heard that the crime book was suspiciously found in queen's palace! Please let him find out about Jo Hwa Jin. One thing I am sure about Prince Yeong Phyeong is his stubborn strict moral code. I think that's why, unlike Kim Byeong In, he never crosses the line with Jo Hwa Jin. He is so frustrating because of that moral code, but i have to admit that it's pretty good moral code. That means i can count on Prince Yeong Phyeong to go against Jo Hwa Jin the moment he figured out that she crossed the line from his moral code. Sure, he will probably try to sway her first or want to hear the lies, but ultimately he will go against her.

In preview, Kim Byeong In figured out that Kim Jwa Geun tried to kill So Bong, and drama pointed out that Kim Byeong In is supposed to be very smart man, so he should figure out that grand queen dowager agreed with the plan. Please, let Kim Byeong In be at least a grudging ally!

There are so many enemies to fight. I really can't see King's allies winning unless they gain more allies like Kim Byeong In and Kim Hwan who also work in palace. Kim Hwan also seems to be talented, both intelligent (booksmart) and martial arts if the hints in the drama are correct. Kim Hwan said that he got into Joseon version top college at very young age, and he easily dodged trained palace bodyguards, only to be stopped by Cheol Jong.

I knew that lie signal is going to come back again! I hope Kim Byeong In helped with this plan. I don't think Cheol Jong could figure out a way to switch the poison that the young girl was supposed to drink. However, Kim Byeong In, who was in change, can easily switch it. It's obvious from Kim Byeong In's reaction toward So Bong that he also knows that young girl is innocent.

I'm still holding onto that young Kim Byeong In who helped young Cheol Jong to escape from the well. There is no point of adding him to that flashback when it could have easily been just So Yong rescuing Cheol Jong. The only reason to add Kim Byeong In is to foreshadow that he's going to be an ally.

At this point, So Yong is literally plot device for every characters. Jang Bong Hwan, Cheol Jong, Kim Byeong In, Jo Hwa Jin, and etc. From all the characters we have met, the least we know about is So Yong. She only appears as plot device for other characters. Her flashbacks are there to motivate and influence other characters, and now even her memories are no longer hers, but So Bong's, so that it will motivate and grow So Bong as a person.

Anyway, I can't wait for next week episodes! Please let there be more scene with So Bong and Cheol Jong together! Preview hints on some hot scenes including the scene where So Bong trying to sleep with Cheol Jong again, "do you want to eat ramen?" :lol:

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 7

I just finished episode 14 with subs and I have to say this was my favourite episode, I liked it even more than episode 9 which I ranked first until today.

If I have to write down everything I liked about this episode, it’d be a very long post! It was a very well balanced episode with plenty of laughter, politics, but also important moments between our royal couple.

But what struck me most in this episode was the reason Bo Song thought to herself when she rejected Cheoljong.

LFlxqEp.jpg

Can anybody tell me what So Bong meant by this? She can’t love Cheoljong back because she’s a man or because she feels guilty by taking So Yong’s place? I’m very intrigued by this!

I’m actually surprised So Bong admitted it to herself that she liked it with Cheoljong. She even said she liked it more than before. The way I see it she basically admitted that sex in a woman’s body with a man she was insanely attracted to was better than all the sex Jang Bong Hwan had with women. If anybody still think that Kim So Yong took over the body at that moment, I hope this is a proof that So Bong was still very much conscious.

I think the main problem won’t be So Bong’s sexuality crisis but the issue with their identity. It’s one thing to admit that you’re attracted to a man, but living like someone else for the rest of your life is something bigger. I think So Bong feels like a fraud, that’s why she can’t accept Cheoljong’s feelings for her.

Cheoljong’s confession also made it pretty clear which personality he likes - he likes Jang Bong Hwan. Even if she was the most flawed person in the world he will like her... Oh my heart...

ID6OKTw.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, VesperLynd said:

Is there a gif of Hong wiping his sweat in slo-mo

i haven't seen any gifs of him as of yet! but omg that scene literally got me rolling on the floor. i love him as well xD 

14 minutes ago, aisling said:

She can’t love Cheoljong back because she’s a man or because she feels guilty by taking So Yong’s place? I’m very intrigued by this!

i think sobong is feeling guilty for having feelings for cheoljong. the thing is i don't think she/he/they have it completely down what their identity is yet. they don't know if soyong is going to return completely, and if soyong returns what is she gonna do when she finds out the king is in love with not really her?

imo the writers are likely gonna go the both-of-them-are-one-soul way, it's just that sobong has yet to figure it out. bong hwan is definitely the more dominant er soul? in sobong but we've also seen how soyong has come into play in shaping sobong. bh/sobong has been the most protective of soyong thus far, evidently the most empathetic of her consider they knew everything she has been through. so i guess this "better safe than sorry" sentiment was voiced by bong hwan/sobong who still isn't sure what's going on. sorry for the bonghwans and soyongs and sobongs it's honestly a mess over here but i hope yall get the gist of what i'm saying HAHA

honestly this whole soyong and bong hwan thing is really sweet. last night i was thinking how soyong died because she felt like her life was a lie, that she had always been chasing someone else's dream. she lived her life in guilt, and never got to do what she really wanted to do. but with bong hwan coming into her life, i like to think that she's living her true self through bong hwan's audacity and self-confidence bordering on arrogance and we've seen both aspects of soyong and bonghwan living through sobong. think this also echoes a lot with some theories proposed by some users earlier on in this forum. but anyway i just thought it's something really sweet and i'm really glad she got her 2nd shot in life.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, louisawatson said:

EP 14

Huh, when drama showed blind lady writing, it began with "queen," but when they showed the whole sentence, it began with "danger." I think the words even got messier when it was shown in full sentence.

I'm glad So Bong did see Cheol Jong during the act, even if s/he dismissed it. So Bong even pointed out later that s/he would have still liked it even if s/he knew it was Cheol Jong. Also, in preview, So Bong seems to quickly accept it and want to sleep with Cheol Jong again.

I believe the queen's body is only possessed by Jang Bong Hwan's soul, but the soul is adopting to So Yong's body, especially after her memories have returned, so that the soul would not be repelled from the body. In a sense, by accepting So Yong's physical body and memories, the soul has become bisexual and already comfortable with female physical body. It's fantasy, so I guess that works. S/he did really become "Jang So Yong."

I'm hoping Hong Yeon get rejected. I want the drama to show that both man and woman can get their feelings rejected. After all, Kim Hwan and Hong Yeon fell in love for exact same reason. The looks and small kindness. 

I think the bromance between Kim Hwan and Special Director Hong might win this love triangle. I mean they are minor characters, so I don't know if it will end as bromance or romance. These days, kdrama is ok as long as they are minor characters. That's why I'm happy about So Bong. S/he is technically trans bisexual at this point, and s/he is main character, the protagonist!

Prince Yeong Phyeong finally seems to figure out that something is up when he heard that the crime book was suspiciously found in queen's palace! Please let him find out about Jo Hwa Jin. One thing I am sure about Prince Yeong Phyeong is his stubborn strict moral code. I think that's why, unlike Kim Byeong In, he never crosses the line with Jo Hwa Jin. He is so frustrating because of that moral code, but i have to admit that it's pretty good moral code. That means i can count on Prince Yeong Phyeong to go against Jo Hwa Jin the moment he figured out that she crossed the line from his moral code. Sure, he will probably try to sway her first or want to hear the lies, but ultimately he will go against her.

In preview, Kim Byeong In figured out that Kim Jwa Geun tried to kill So Bong, and drama pointed out that Kim Byeong In is supposed to be very smart man, so he should figure out that grand queen dowager agreed with the plan. Please, let Kim Byeong In be at least a grudging ally!

There are so many enemies to fight. I really can't see King's allies winning unless they gain more allies like Kim Byeong In and Kim Hwan who also work in palace. Kim Hwan also seems to be talented, both intelligent (booksmart) and martial arts if the hints in the drama are correct. Kim Hwan said that he got into Joseon version top college at very young age, and he easily dodged trained palace bodyguards, only to be stopped by Cheol Jong.

I knew that lie signal is going to come back again! I hope Kim Byeong In helped with this plan. I don't think Cheol Jong could figure out a way to switch the poison that the young girl was supposed to drink. However, Kim Byeong In, who was in change, can easily switch it. It's obvious from Kim Byeong In's reaction toward So Bong that he also knows that young girl is innocent.

I'm still holding onto that young Kim Byeong In who helped young Cheol Jong to escape from the well. There is no point of adding him to that flashback when it could have easily been just So Yong rescuing Cheol Jong. The only reason to add Kim Byeong In is to foreshadow that he's going to be an ally.

At this point, So Yong is literally plot device for every characters. Jang Bong Hwan, Cheol Jong, Kim Byeong In, Jo Hwa Jin, and etc. From all the characters we have met, the least we know about is So Yong. She only appears as plot device for other characters. Her flashbacks are there to motivate and influence other characters, and now even her memories are no longer hers, but So Bong's, so that it will motivate and grow So Bong as a person.

Anyway, I can't wait for next week episodes! Please let there be more scene with So Bong and Cheol Jong together! Preview hints on some hot scenes including the scene where So Bong trying to sleep with Cheol Jong again, "do you want to eat ramen?" :lol:

I agree with all you have said and particularly about sexual identity. You are right when you say she/he’s trans/ bisexual by now. I m amazed the writers addressed this issue in such away. I didn't think Korean viewers were ready for such a conflicting topic, but it seems they are. This plot reminds me of an old Argentinian tv series (2007) called ”Lalola”   https://www.google.com/search?kgmid=/m/04640jb&hl=en-CL&q=Lalola&kgs=57cdf44e59717a65&shndl=0&source=sh/x/kp/osrp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp/osrp in which the main character wakes up in a female body after being cursed by a woman in revenge for his womanizing behavior 

He also has to adjust to a female body, ends up surrendering to hormones, and even falls in love with a man. When I started watching Mr. Queen, I didn't think the story went that path because of the topic of sexual orientation, but I was mistaken. And now I highly hope So Bong really can accept and embrace his new body and be happy as a woman :love:

• Like 6

Man just when I thought I couldn’t love this drama more. I was a bit worried after the last episode, but I’m satisfied with how the events unfolded. Guess I’m not the only one  *cough cough* So Bong. Sorry I had to lol. 
Sometimes I can’t tell if Cheoljong is trolling her or not. He was really about to give her poetic retelling of what happened. I was actually interested in what he had to say. So the queen is trying to avoid the king ,but we know that’s not going to last long. In fact, I have a feeling that once So Bong recognizes and accepts her feeling, she won’t be able to keep her hands off Cheoljong. Now THAT, I want to see. 

Edited by Maliah
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Finally...  

Looks like the King get something from his ancestor Bang Won.

If its the same line of kings at all.

TvN

Yup, Cheoljong is a direct descendant of Bang Won aka King Taejong. I love how Kim Jung Hyun portrays him here, his range is marvelous! From being pouty every time his queen turns him down to the strong and charismatic king in front of the court, he has it all!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Uaenaforever said:

I didn't think Korean viewers were ready for such a conflicting topic, but it seems they are. This plot reminds me of an old Argentinian tv series (2007) called ”Lalola”   https://www.google.com/search?kgmid=/m/04640jb&hl=en-CL&q=Lalola&kgs=57cdf44e59717a65&shndl=0&source=sh/x/kp/osrp&entrypoint=sh/x/kp/osrp in which the main character wakes up in a female body after being cursed by a woman in revenge for his womanizing behavior 

He also has to adjust to a female body, ends up surrendering to hormones, and even falls in love with a man. When I started watching Mr. Queen, I didn't think the story went that path because of the topic of sexual orientation, but I was mistaken.

same!! really happy that they went with this route, i think everyone had doubts they would because of how conservative korean dramas are. reminds me of hyesun mentioning in her interview how she was really worried about how her character will make viewers uncomfortable, so she tried to approach the character (bh and sy) as genderless personalities (not exact wording but similar meaning). honestly kudos to hyesun for pulling off this character, she really did an amazing job. 

that said i still think that whatever happened was pretty much dubcon. the collaborative effort of hyesun, junghyun, and the production team made it digestible (which has both pros and cons...) but yea. just wanted to say it just because ahha.

anyway, all hail our king!! i was almost afraid they'll do what happened in the chinese version of scarlet heart, but oh man, ;A; CHEOLJONG. WHAT A GUY. 

17 minutes ago, kara_mella said:

is there any other reason for him to do so?

he's someone who hates sacrificing the innocent/weak. also i think sobong asked him to protect the girl previously (i think, i haven't seen the subbed ver yet).

• Like 8
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, enzek said:

Bold makeup (eyeliner and lipstick), extra hair ornaments and black hanbok?

Make a way everyone, Queen So Bong is coming!

Unless I am mistaken, hair ornaments usually represent status among the King's women in the palace, remember the phoenix pin that SB was not given. SB is the queen however, we have to remember she is 'untouched' still by the king. In some sageuk, the internal palace usually takes note of the women the king had relations with, it is even recorded when it happened. I think the colors of the hanbok is the same as well, she is technically allowed to wear red as it is related to the king (kings always wear red  with gold decorations formally). The red and gold is for the King, I haven't seen anyone else among the concubines with the Queen included to wear red with gold embellishments. JHW can wear red since she is a royal concubine but hers has decorations in white. Since it is confirmed that the Queen and King had actually demolished the 'no touching' rule, she is probably allowed to wear more hair ornaments befitting her status, not only as queen but as potential mother of the crown prince.

But then this is all speculation on my part. So forgive me, if I am wrong.

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

I love this sweet little gesture too:

credit to the owner

Behind the scene clip:

credit to the owner

Spoiler

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

Cute fanart:wub:

credit to the owner

• Like 12
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, aisling said:

I just finished episode 14 with subs and I have to say this was my favourite episode, I liked it even more than episode 9 which I ranked first until today.

If I have to write down everything I liked about this episode, it’d be a very long post! It was a very well balanced episode with plenty of laughter, politics, but also important moments between our royal couple.

But what struck me most in this episode was the reason Bo Song thought to herself when she rejected Cheoljong.

Can anybody tell me what So Bong meant by this? She can’t love Cheoljong back because she’s a man or because she feels guilty by taking So Yong’s place? I’m very intrigued by this!

I’m actually surprised So Bong admitted it to herself that she liked it with Cheoljong. She even said she liked it more than before. The way I see it she basically admitted that sex in a woman’s body with a man she was insanely attracted to was better than all the sex Jang Bong Hwan had with women. If anybody still think that Kim So Yong took over the body at that moment, I hope this is a proof that So Bong was still very much conscious.

I think the main problem won’t be So Bong’s sexuality crisis but the issue with their identity. It’s one thing to admit that you’re attracted to a man, but living like someone else for the rest of your life is something bigger. I think So Bong feels like a fraud, that’s why she can’t accept Cheoljong’s feelings for her.

Cheoljong’s confession also made it pretty clear which personality he likes - he likes Jang Bong Hwan. Even if she was the most flawed person in the world he will like her... Oh my heart...

SB is conflicted with his/her emotions and this is apparently clear. What is his/her motivation in saying that CJ and SB have no future together? What does it mean for him to live as KSY. 

SB told the King, 'that KSY died that day' and SB also told himself/herself that she cannot do it. 

Remember as KSY's memories flow into SB's mind he realizes how much she was in pain and how much the people in the palace wronged her. SB could be living with a guilty mind, hence telling himself, he cannot do it (live in KSY's body and be happy) knowing she was miserable in hers. It is possible that in SB's mind he is taking away the life that KSY should be living including to be happy with the King. For SB, it is possible that his mind is still delving into the fact that KSY sacrificed her life so she doesn't have to betray CJ. 

As of the moment, the most mysterious character in the story is KSY. We are given snippets of her memory and nothing else. We do not know if she acts the same as SB, is she mischievous, but we know that she is a very caring person and kind.

I am hoping that the coming episodes will shed light on her personality as well. So we can see if what we are seeing is purely SB or KSY also possesses the same trait at SB and was just repressed due to fear.

My 2 cents. 

Come faster weekend, chaebal!

• Like 9
  • Blob 1