[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

I feel like the more episodes we have the more questions I have on how this production is going to handle any king/queen romance. I guess I'm in the minority, but I feel So Yong is dead, not sharing a body with Bong Hwan. However, from the very beginning eps, Bong Hwan has had access to So Yong's memories, why? How? Perhaps it's related to the kiss So yong gave to Bong Hwan in Ep. 1? There must be more significance to that moment than we have been shown so far. My own take is that Original Queen gave Bong Hwan the "kiss of life" because it was shown how Bong Hwan hit his head on the pool bottom hard enough to cause bleeding. Frankly, it's a miracle that he didn't die right then and was able to survive in a coma. I can only think that the reason for his body to survive is due to the "kiss of life" given by Original Queen, andd that the kiss also transferred some of original SY memories as well.  Much has been made about the butterfly motif/imagery in the opening credits meaning rebirth and transformation. I notice that the butterfly is a monarch butterfly, which has significance in Mexican culture as carrying the spirits of the dead to visit the living on the Day of the Dead.  If so yong is the butterfly, does that mean she is dead?  I have not seen any credible evidence that So Yong's spirit is sharing any body or switching back and forth. We have only seen Bong Hwan spirit. Fate is at work since when Bong Hwan actual body was revived, Bong Hwan spirit was sent back into Queen's body, and did not stay in his own body. 

Surprisingly, drama seems to be following original C drama path (only even more heavy handed) to explain attraction of Bong Hwan to the King.  Once again the body itself is dictating the feelings. For this drama, it seems that the longer Bong Hwan spirit resides in queen's body, original queen feelings are taking over. It seems to be similar to the trope of heart transplant makes the new recipient have the same emotions/feelings as the original owner of the heart. In this case it's the body transplant.  I don't know how I feel about this, because it looks like Bong Hwan free will is being forced out, which I do not like. It's obvious that King has fallen in love with Bong Hwan personality, so I hope that Bong Hwan will not go away entirely. Guess we will see what happens next few episodes. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

part of the fun of the show is that it teases u on whether the king did fall in love with sobong or not rather than declaring that outright. he prolly is, subconsciously with all his actions pointing in that direction but in his mind he still thinks that he's still in love with hwajin.. we haven't actually seen him verbalizing his attraction to the queen other than the times when he needs to put on the happy royal couple show in public. remember the last time we actually see him talking about how he really feels about the queen was when he was talking to his second right hand man (forgot his name) before he saved her from the lake and he did say that he doesn't see her as a woman (haha the irony).  

that passionate kiss at the end of ep 8 (best kdrama kiss award win for me), he might have done it out of expediency to avoid byeong-in's suspicion on him snooping around.. then again that loving gaze is too real (can't stop thinking about KJH after that). most romantic "no touching" relationship! :heart2beat:

i still wonder about the sudden cheoljong kiss in ep 4 after he took the tea laced with the truth serum cos it kinda doesn't make sense to me but i still like to think it's because of the after effect of the truth serum :rolleyes: 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

The whole cast of Mr Queen is essentially perfect. Yes, Shin Hye Sun is the star of the show because she’s immensely talented but also because her character is easily liked. But I wouldn’t say she’s carrying the whole drama on her back! Every character is well cast no matter how small their role are.

From the veteran actors to the newbies, they all create this gem of the drama.

But I do think the production team hit the jackpot when they cast Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun. Neither of them are A-listers but they are generally considered as very talented actors. I’ve been watching k-dramas over a decade and I still remember Shin Hye Sun playing a lot of second female leads. She’s climbed to the leading lady status by her sheer talent. Some actresses never get of of second lead territory but Shin Hye Sun proved it was possible despite playing . She was never afraid to show her comedic side but she’s also very believable in serious roles.

I only watched Kim Jung Hyun in CLOY before Mr Queen so I wasn’t familiar with his acting. But as I said before... The audience wouldn’t find the relationship between the king and the queen so captivating if both leads didn’t compliment each other so well. A lesser actor would butcher role of Cheoljong because it is a difficult role. A lesser actor would be overpowered by Shin Hye Sun’s performance. Cheoljong is more complicated and more difficult to like and that’s why it requires an actor who could manage it. 

• Like 10

You know how the King is much more observant than he lets on? I'll bet he filed away the Queen's original claim of not being who she appears to be and will have confirmed that to his satisfaction looong before the plot gets back to confronting him on it. I could totally see a Han and Leia moment. "I'm XX!" "I know."

Also bet they confess their love in similar circumstances. On the edge of death. I say this not knowing what the Chinese version or novel did, so could be way wrong....

• Like 6

https://www.soompi.com/article/1447587wpp/shin-hye-sun-and-kim-jung-hyun-come-face-to-face-with-hidden-secret-of-the-well-on-mr-queen

finally, new teaser or whatever it called T-T

https://twitter.com/kdramacasting/status/1347350971286913026?s=20

btw, i found this in twitter, is it true that we're gonna have additional episodes as spin-off after the drama finish? ommo! so excited T-T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Shin-Hye-Sun.jpg

Kim-Jung-Hyun.jpg

Taken from the article:

Shin Hye Sun And Kim Jung Hyun Come Face-To-Face With Hidden Secret Of The Well On “Mr. Queen”

Spoilers

On the latest episode of “Mr. Queen,” King Cheoljong (played by Kim Jung Hyun) suffered a panic attack that was triggered by the sight of a well. Through brief flashbacks from the characters’ memories, it became clear that something happened in the well in Cheoljong’s childhood that links him, Kim So Yong (Shin Hye Sun), and Jo Hwa Jin (Seol In Ah) to the tragic events of one fateful night.

In newly released photos from the drama’s upcoming episode, Kim So Yong peers curiously into the well at night. Meanwhile, despite being so traumatized by the incident from his childhood that he is having difficulty breathing, Cheoljong arrives at the same well in order to search for something—though the unfocused look in his eyes makes it seem as though he is in a trance.

The producers of “Mr. Queen” teased that this week’s episodes will reveal not only the hidden secret of the well, but also the tragic story of Cheoljong’s family and the reason he came to love Jo Hwa Jin so deeply.

“Kim So Yong and Cheoljong will take another step closer to one another [on this week’s episodes],” said the producers. “As the entangled fates of Kim So Yong, Cheoljong, and Jo Hwa Jin are brought to light, there will be another big shake-up in their relationships.”

Credit to Soompi

Thanks @kyakyari

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kyakyari said:

@YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ thank you  Sorry if i made the wrong post or violated the rules. I wanted to edit or delete it according to Soompi Forum Rules, I am still in the process of understanding it

No, it's okay.  You put the right link .. As for me I like to see the pictures in the post.  Don't worry,   As for Twitter you can also copy the link and paste it here like this :blush:

Credit to the owner

p.s Just FYI, the moderator will be able to delete a post.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys! So glad the weekend's approaching *w*! Here's a rough translation of ep 9's preview ;)

---

빛과 어둠
소용은 하루빨리 궁으로 돌아가려 하지만, 철종은 숨겨진 비밀장부를 찾기 위해 잠행을 핑계로 하루 더 머물기를 청한다. 소용은 철종의 잠행에 동행하며 두 사람은 뜻밖의 저잣거리 데이트에 나선다. 소용은 예상치 못한 철종의 면모에 마음이 술렁이는데... 한편, 대왕대비에게 모욕을 당하며 벼랑에 몰린 조대비는 반격을 준비한다.
Cr. Naver 

Light and darkness
So Yong tries to return to the palace as soon as possible, but in order to look for the hidden secret ledger, Cheol Jong asks to stay one more day with the excuse of wanting to go undercover. Agreeing with Cheol Jong's willingness to go undercover, the two of them go on an unexpected street date. So Yong gets heart flutters from Cheol Jong's unforseen/unimaginable appearance (note: literally speaking, they used 'face' instead of 'appearance')... On another hand, enduring insults from the Grand queen dowager, the Queen dowager is pushed to the tip of a cliff (note: meaning, pushed to her limits) and prepares for a counterattack.
---
Hope there will be more intimate scenes btw our leads *w*!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Spoiler

https://www.soompi.com/article/1447587wpp/shin-hye-sun-and-kim-jung-hyun-come-face-to-face-with-hidden-secret-of-the-well-on-mr-queen

The producers of “Mr. Queen” teased that this week’s episodes will reveal not only the hidden secret of the well, but also the tragic story of Cheoljong’s family and the reason he came to love Jo Hwa Jin so deeply.

wow it's really like little mermaid..

Os1iGWG.jpg

Edited by kwayteow_mama
[oops pasted the wrong part of the spoiler initially..]
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

Since the extra episodes is about the first meeting of Cheol Jong and So Yong, that's means it is in the historical time, right? :hushed:

The extra episodes has 6 episodes, with 10 minutes for each episodes.

"It will be released exclusively on TVing"  Means not available for the international fans?

Hope there is a kindhearted person that willing share that with us:dissapointed_relieved:

credit to the owner

They must have fun while filming on the set:lol:

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

Soompi Awards: Best and Worst of the Rest (Dramas 2020)

Chingus, welcome to our final poll of 2020. :kiss_wink:  You can vote for:

1) The best C-drama of 2020

2) The most disappointing K-drama or K-drama ending of 2020

3) The best abs in a K-drama in 2020 (Choi Jin Hyuk featured :glasses:)

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon and @Lmangla

• Like 2
  • Wiggle 1

Hm.... does anybody else see the implications?

If the reports are true and there will be extra episodes about how Cheoljong and So Yong met.... that means Cheoljong and So Yong are the endgame, doesn’t it? That means So Yong is the one who’s important and she’s the one who ends up with Cheoljong, otherwise they wouldn’t be making an epilogue about them meeting. 

If my theory about Bong Hwan being the reincarnation of So Yong is wrong, then Bong Hwan isn’t going to end up with Cheoljong and his sole purpose was to make Cheoljong fall in love with So Yong. So it would basically go Oh My Ghostess route.

I’m one of those who would hate this ending. Bong Hwan is our protagonist and we’re supposed to root for him and if he ends up alone in the future... that would be so sad and the whole story would be pointless. So please, Drama God, if you’re there. Don’t go Oh My Ghostess route. 

• Like 4