[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

So is Choi Jin Hyuk playing the modern day man version of the main character? If so, cool! Wow! The cast lineup is so good for this drama for all the roles. I just hope that the script writing and directing will be good. Especially the script as I'm not that impressed with the writer's previous dramas and the ending of the inspiration/source drama was very unsatisfying for me. Praying that this drama will be really good and have much better ending.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:35 AM, uglypearl said:

Possible ending; 

BongHwan is back to the present. He'll meet the reincarnation of Cheorin/SoYong's love interest (The person who BongHwan fell inlove with in past time).

If it's CheolJong, the reincarnation will be a woman.

Ooh! I like your ending. I think a nice twist also would be that BongHwan comes back to the present and meets the modern day woman version of CheolJong, but it turns out that modern day woman also "time travelled" and her spirit was in CheolJong at the same time that BongHwan spirit was in Queen Chorin. 

But I'll take your idea as well. It;s much better ending than what we got from GPG. Let's hope that we get it for this drama. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

October 28 2020

First script reading for tvN drama “Queen Cheorin”

Queen-Cheorin-SR001.jpg

First script reading for tvN drama series “Queen Cheorin” (literal title), starring Shin Hye-Sun & Kim Jung-Hyun, took place recently in South Korea. Along with director Yun Seong-Sik and screenwriters Park Kye-Ok & Choi A-Il, main cast members that attended included Shin Hye-Sun, Kim Jung-Hyun, Bae Jong-Ok, Kim Tae-Woo, Yoo Min-Kyu, Na In-Woo, Kim In-Kwon, Ko In-Beom, Jeon Bae-Su, and Son Kwang-Eop. The genre for the drama series is a fusion historical-comedy.

“Queen Cheorin” first airs December, 2020 in South Korea (takes over tvN’s Saturday and Sunday 9PM time slot after “Start-Up“).

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: In the present day, Jang Bong-Hwan works as a chef at the President’s Blue House. He has a free spirit, but his spirit somehow finds its way into the body of Queen Kim So-Yong (Shin Hye-Sun) in the Joseon period.

King Cheoljong (Kim Jung-Hyun) has secrets. He seems like a figurehead, who is gentle and easygoing. In fact, he hides his strong aspects. Queen Sunwon (Bae Jong-Ok) is the late King Sunjo’s wife. She wields the true power in the country and, thus, relegates King Cheoljong as just a figurehead. Kim Jwa-Geun (Kim Tae-Woo) is Queen Sunwon’s younger brother. He is extremely ambitious.

Queen-Cheorin-SR002.jpg

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/first-script-reading-for-tvn-drama-queen-cheorin

• Like 7

"No Touch Princess"? Hmmn, I guess this means no romance at all? Have to admit, that makes me kind of sad. :tears:

The article says this first script reading took place "recently".  Guess the info shared at another forum about KJH Instagram Live said that they are halfway through filming is incorrect then.  Good news that the article confirms this drama will premiere in December 2020 after Start Up! :)

• Like 2

Actually there is no word ‘recently’ in the original Korean news article. I think as we saw leaked photos of shooting since Jun, so the script reading should be done in May. 

Apart from the main writer Park Gye-Ok who wrote ‘Doctor Prisoner’ , there’s also a co-writer Choi Ah-Il who used to write script for a romance movie  ‘Lovers for 6 years (6년째 연애중). (Reference article) She probably help writing the romance part for this drama. 
I think the name ‘No-touch princess’ is just to give feeling of comedy. Probably because at the beginning, So Yong has a male soul inside so she/he may feel awkward to be touched by the king or other guys, but if the story followed the original drama then she will gradually feel like a woman and that’s when the romance begins.

Some fans also pointed out that the word ‘no-touch’ came out first time in Jun when the writer sent coffee truck to shooting site and the banner wrote ‘no-touch romance’ . Probably it’s writer-nim’s joke at that time regarding Covid-19 social distancing and it might become inside joke so later they probably decided to use it as drama name.  Just a theory :)

Spoiler

IAhGBe3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

from dutch_style1 IG

I’ve also seen many opinions from many places asking about if it’s gonna be a BL drama.  Personally I don’t know how it will be but after watching romance between human vs angel , human vs goblin , human vs robot, human vs cat in K-dramaland, now I am ready to accept anything ..LOL :rolleyes: Anyway, from the script reading video I saw only Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun interact with each other and they are so cute and the chemistry seems to be good.  :wub:

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Thanks for your info, @immorethant

I didn't realize the "no touch" was an inside joke on the drama. Thanks for sharing. I like your theory also that at first because of the man spirit inside the Queen's body she doesn't like the King/men touching her. Hopefully they will follow the original source drama and she slowly change over time and then we get some nice romance. I didn't know there were 2 writers for this drama. I haven't seen any of Choi Ah Il's works, but I hope she will be writing good scenes. I just found out that Park Gye Ok also wrote the film "Innocent Steps" and I've seen clips of that film which I found funny (also saw some that were a bit raunchy, although I seriously doubt that this drama will be a sex comedy)). I have some hopes now that the script will not be a total disaster. although I find his other dramas meh.  Keeping my prayers that the script will be really good and we have a happy (and satisfying) ending. 

I don't think it will be a BL story.  The male lead character Bong Hwan will be in a physical woman's body, so all interactions will be between a female and male/heterosexual couple. If they follow the source material, then I would say it be more of  a transgender romance of a man becoming a woman. And that would be a very edgy storyline and a true first for K Drama.  It will be interesting to see how they handle the sexual aspects of the storyline since South Korea is not very accepting of LGBT community.   In Go Princess Go, when the man spirit first arrive in the Princess body he was chasing the palace maids and try to touch and kiss them so it was hints of lesbian scenes too. I don't think they will be doing that in this drama as the man spirit in GPG was a womanizer/playboy but for Queen Choerin the main character just described as a "free thinking" chef, not any playboy. We will have to wait and see what happens. 

Yes, the script reading video I notice everyone seems to be enjoying themselves and SHS and KJH comfortable with each other. Hopefullly, that translate to good performances in the drama.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The drama started filming since June so the script reading may be some time before June like what @immorethant said. Tvn might only release the script reading clip recently because it is confirming the broadcast date and starting drama promotions now. Probably filming will end before the first broadcast, i guess? Because Hyesun is so busy filming now that she don't even have time to promote her movie.:(

I don't think this will be a drama with no romance. No Touch romance might mean the romance is subtle because of the nature of the man-in-woman main character. It's an adaptation of the Chinese drama though Im not sure if it'll be exactly the same, seriously it's not possibly there's no romance. I didnt watch the Chinese version before but I'll be looking forward to this drama based on this line-up of stellar cast. I think drama posters will come soon as well... can't wait!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Kim Jung Hyun, Shin Hye Sun, And More Hold First Script Reading For Historical Fusion Drama

Oct 29, 2020
by C. Hong
tvN’s upcoming drama “No Touch Princess” has released its first look at the script reading with the cast!

“No Touch Princess” (previously known as “Queen Cheorin”) is a historical fusion drama about a man living in modern times whose soul gets trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon Dynasty.

At the script reading were director Yoon Sung Sik, writers Park Gye Ok and Choi Ah Il, and actors Shin Hye Sun, Kim Jung Hyun, Bae Jong Ok, Kim Tae Woo, Na In Woo, Kim In Kwon, Yoo Min Kyu, Jo Sun Joo, Cha Jung Hwa, Song Min Hyung, Go In Bum, and Jeon Bae Soo.

no-touch-princess-shin-hye-sun-kim-jung-

In her first historical drama role, Shin Hye Sun plays Kim So Yong, the titular queen with the soul of a modern man. As a man, her character was named Jang Bong Hwan and was a chef working in the Blue House, the South Korean presidential residence.

Kim Jung Hyun plays King Cheoljong, who appears to be a weak and easily manipulated figurehead on the surface, but has a hidden sharp and strong side.

Bae Jong Ok plays Queen Sunwon, the true power behind the throne who raised King Cheoljong to his current position. Kim Tae Woo plays Kim Jwa Geun, Queen Sunwon’s younger brother, and one of the keys to her power.

A source from the drama stated, “In expressing their characters’ charms, this meeting of actors brought this unique fusion historical comedy to life. There are lots of laughs, romantic excitement, and political thrills to be had in this setup of putting a freewheeling modern man’s soul into the body of a Joseon queen, who must live by strict rules.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1434504wpp/kim-jung-hyun-shin-hye-sun-and-more-hold-first-script-reading-for-fantasy-historical-drama

• Like 2
  • Love 1

If there's no romance between the leads, I'm gonna cry so much. Coz, this beautiful pairing is so good. Hopefully, everything is fine because sometimes South Korea still makes a lot of noise at LGBT community. Actually, we international viewers are okay with all these stuff, BL or not.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin, 철인왕후 - Shin Hye Sun & Kim Jung Hyun - Premieres in December
  • larus changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin, 철인왕후 - Shin Hye Sun & Kim Jung Hyun -Sat. & Sun. 21:00 - Premieres on December 12

Watch: Shin Hye Sun Is Shocked To Find Herself In A New Body In Teaser For Upcoming Drama

a38ba84d4ad34f36b44e1e4c42fb02f8.jpeg?s=

Nov 4, 2020
by C. Hong

tvN’s upcoming drama “No Touch Princess” has dropped its first teaser!

“No Touch Princess” is a historical fusion drama about a man living in modern times whose soul gets trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon Dynasty. Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the queen with the soul of a modern man. Kim Jung Hyun stars as King Cheoljong, a king who seems weak but has a hidden side.

In the new teaser, Shin Hye Sun’s character wakes up in a new body. At first, she lies in the dark, trying to catch her breath, but when she moves to light a candle, she says in surprise, “What? What’s wrong with my voice?” A servant’s voice approaches and asks, “Did you cough, Your Majesty?” Shocked at the sight of her face in the mirror, Shin Hye Sun looks down her top as a man’s voice exclaims, “Your Majesty? I’m a woman?”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1435900wpp/watch-shin-hye-sun-is-shocked-to-find-herself-in-a-new-body-in-teaser-for-upcoming-drama

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin, 철인왕후 - Shin Hye Sun & Kim Jung Hyun - Sat & Sun @ 21:00 KST - Premieres on December 12th

Shin Hye-sun as the shocked Queen Cheorin in new tvN drama

by tineybeanie

cheoqueen0.jpg

The first teaser has been dropped for upcoming gender-bender comedy sageuk Queen Cheorin. It’s not very long, but Shin Hye-sun’s (Angel’s Last Mission: Love) expressions are so funny as the titular body-swapped queen.

The plot of this fusion drama is centered around an accident wherein a present-day male chef working at the Blue House (a.k.a. Korea’s presidential residence) somehow goes back in time and enters the body of a Joseon-era queen.

How will his bluffing, independent personality survive in the restrictive palace with its suffocating rules and procedures? Especially since “his” husband King Cheoljong, played by Kim Jung-hyun (Crash Landing on You), is a suspicious, two-faced puppet ruler, it’ll be difficult to maintain the facade that nothing is wrong.

n the teaser, Shin Hye-sun plays the surprised chef-turned-queen perfectly. The teaser starts out with heavy breathing in pitch blackness, and Shin Hye-sun tries to start a light. At the sound of her own lilting voice, her inner male soul is surprised.

She finally succeeds in lighting the candle, and a servant from outside calls to her: “Your Majesty, have you awoken?” Looking at the mirror, Shin Hye-sun lets out a gasp of surprise. Copy onscreen reads: “After opening his eyes, he was queen?!” She sits completely upright and checks inside her clothes. Her inner male voice is unbelieving: “Your Majesty? I’m a girl?!” Her servant’s voice begs for her again, “Your Majesty…”

tvN Saturday-Sunday drama Queen Cheorin, directed by Yoon Sung-shik (Hwarang, The King’s Face) and written by Park Gye-ok (Doctor Prisoner, Inspiring Generation) and Choi Ah-il (Lovers of Six Years), will begin airing in December.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/11/shin-hye-sun-as-the-shocked-queen-cheorin-in-new-tvn-drama/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Shin Hye Sun And Kim Jung Hyun’s Historical Fusion Drama Shares Fun Instagram-Style Posters

Nov 10, 2020
by C. Hong

tvN’s upcoming drama “No Touch Princess” has shared some unique new character posters!

“No Touch Princess” is a historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul is trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty.

True to its “historical fusion” genre, the drama has revealed posters of the main cast in traditional clothes but in an “Instagram” format. Instead of “Instagram,” the posters read “in-soo-ta-goo-ram” spelled out with Chinese characters (人手詫捄覽).

Shin Hye Sun’s character is a combination of the soul of Jang Bong Hwan, a free-spirited chef working in the Blue House, and the body of Kim So Yong, a queen living in the Joseon dynasty. As the only character who knows what Instagram is, she flashes a modern pose for the camera. Her caption reads, “This will be a shock, but try not to be too shocked. The truth is, I’m a man.” Her ID reads “fake_cowdragon,” a hint at her dual identity. (The name “So Yong” sound like the words for “cow” and “dragon” in Korean.)

shin-hye-sun-no-touch-princess1.jpg

Kim Jung Hyun plays King Cheoljong, who seems like a weak and ineffective king on the outside but has a sharp and strong-willed side that he keeps hidden. He gazes off into the distance as his caption reads, “The queen seems most unusual and strange. As if she comes from a different world.” His ID is “king_ironbell1831,” a reference to the real King Cheoljong’s birth year (1831) and an English pun on the name “cheol” (iron) and “jong” (bell).

kim-jung-hyun-no-touch-princess.jpg

Bae Jong Ok plays Queen Sunwon, the true power behind the throne. Historically, Sunwon was a queen consort to a previous king, and she adopted Cheoljong when a new king needed to be found. Kim Tae Woo plays Sunwon’s younger brother, Kim Jwa Geun, who also holds the keys to power.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1436894wpp/new-historical-fusion-drama-starring-shin-hye-sun-and-kim-jung-hyun-shares-instagram-style-posters-of-main-cast

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Watch: Shin Hye Sun Tries Desperately To Get Back To The 21st Century In New Drama Teaser

a1c5020137e94c6bb6a5f74c3479cfbe.jpeg?s=

Nov 11, 2020
by C. Hong

tvN’s upcoming drama “No Touch Princess” has released a new teaser!

“No Touch Princess” is a historical fusion drama about a man from modern times whose soul gets trapped in the body of a queen from the Joseon dynasty. Shin Hye Sun stars as Kim So Yong, the queen with the soul of Jang Bong Hwan trapped inside.

In the first teaser for the drama, Shin Hye Sun reacts with shock at being in the wrong body in the wrong time period. In the second teaser, Shin Hye Sun refuses to accept her fate and tries desperately to get back to her proper time.

The teaser begins with Shin Hye Sun looking listless and not responding to her attendants, who think that she is ill. It shifts to some comic scenes in which Shin Hye Sun tries all sorts of things to return to the 21st century, including hitting her head hard and sticking her head under water.

Everyone in the palace panics at her bizarre actions, and in the end the attendant says, “Fetch the royal physician. The queen is acting strange.” Shin Hye Sun then goes down on her knees and cries out to heaven, “I just want to go back!”

“No Touch Princess” premieres on December 12 at 9 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1437089wpp/watch-shin-hye-sun-tries-desperately-to-get-back-to-the-21st-century-in-new-drama-teaser

• Like 3
  • Love 2