[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

Like others,  even if Mr Queen has ended a week ago, I'm still thinking about it. But reading posts here and writing my painfully long posts (apologies to those who've read them LOL) has helped me get some distance.

But I will add a few more thoughts that I didn't before .

I remember a couple of WTH moments (aside from the incomprehensible ending, that is.):

* When SY and CJ met finally met by the lake after running around missing each other, CJ noted that she was back to speaking in a formal way to him and was she planning a surprise (I don't know the exact words but I think this was pretty close). SY just smiled and said nothing.   Not even a flicker of discomfort, disquiet, a tiny hint of regret or guilt. No reaction besides a smile and hugging CJ I think...

I was looking for those hints bec when she talked to her father and he told her that he was saved bec of her telling him to get rid of his ill-gotten wealth and help the poor (as a good preemptive PR move and to rehabilitate his reputation so he won't get charged by the new commission) , her expression changed. I interpreted as her realizing or remembering it was BH who told his father to do that so that he can be saved and escape prosecution. Bec of this move, the peasants protected her father and his manor.

I liked seeing this bec it is an acknowledgement of BH's actions. Only SY knew that it wasn't her that did all the crazy stuff the Queen did. And since he was summarily booted back to the present, it was nice to jave even that small bit of acknowledgement, same with CJ saying he feels like he lost something.

So i was expecting an even more distinct hint in that moment by the lake esp since he was turned away when they hugged so he wouldn't have seen it.  And it was an even more direct challenge, CJ noted her behavior change and called her on it. But she just smiled. Opportunity wasted.

*  The other WTH moment was in BH's timeline. They showed a flashback of the confrontation between him and the Han guy ion the balcony . The Han guy asked him why he would send on the CCTV and become a whistleblower when it isn't his personality and, this was something BH would not normally do.  Wait, what? This was before he went back to the past! His consciousness only came back after having lived in Joseon and changed his personality that he would actually do this. But only after he was in the hospital, after this incident, after him falling into the pool!

Ok, I get that events changed but why would his personality change before the time he he traveled back?

And if they argue that it was bec events changed, then why did they have the Han character make a point to note that this behavior is something he wouldn't do? And BH even answered he didn't know why. 

So he just suddenly did this unusual, altruistic move out of the blue, just that time and just bec?

Doesn't that contradict time travel logic?  I expect events to have changed, even that it was the Han guy who caused his fall instead of the police. Bec that could have been caused by change in others' actions bec they may have been affected by the changes he made in the past in some way (butterfly effect) BUT I wouldn't expect his own behavior or personality to change before the time he made the jump...

Oh wait, Han guy confronting him was directly bec BH sent the CCTV so it is a direct effect of his sudden, inexplicable change in behavior way before he fell in that pool......:headbang:

I don't know what you guys think but this confused me.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aisling said:

I must be petty because I console myself with “but all kisses and hot moments happened when Bong Hwan was inside”. :joy:

So Yong got a hug after she returned.

At least the drama has the decency NOT to show any hot night between SY and CJ. But on a second thought, poor CJ can kiss his hot night goodbye. The most he will get is the one described by The Dowager...

29 minutes ago, cdcotr said:

And if they argue that it was bec events changed, then why did they have the Han character make a point to note that this behavior is something he wouldn't do? And BH even answered he didn't know why. 

So he just suddenly did this unusual, altruistic move out of the blue, just that time and just bec?

Beside for some who said that BH became better after lesson from SY in how to treats women better, it's obvious BH didn't changes his casanova lifestyle because in the same scene he was about to have his shares of hanky panky with that lady.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

45 minutes ago, cenching said:

Beside for some who said that BH became better after lesson from SY in how to treats women better, it's obvious BH didn't changes his casanova lifestyle because in the same scene he was about to have his shares of hanky panky with that lady.

Exactly! On one hand they're implying that he changed into a more selfless, law abiding person by turning whistleblower b and yet showing that he has not changed his playboy ways trying to score with that lady in his place of work, in the same scene!

So which is it? Did he or did he not change and if he did, why did he change before the event that started that change in the first place?

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, cdcotr said:

Exactly! On one hand they're implying that he changed into a more selfless, law abiding person by turning whistleblower b and yet showing that he has not changed his playboy ways trying to score with that lady in his place of work, in the same scene!

So which is it? Did he or did he not change and if he did, why did he change before the event that started that change in the first place?

That's what happens when people trying to cover holes with holes, it created bigger holes....:coolshades:

3 hours ago, Sandy Prater said:

Are these really two different ones or is the first one where she kisses him like a film reverse? I can't tell but the filming quality seems odd.

As for your question, I love any kiss that So Bong initiates since that's one step closer to realizing her feelings...we already know what CJ's feelings are. :kiss_wink:

I think it's a different scenes because the reaction and the way they kissed are totally different

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively within 1 hour, edit you previous post instead. Thanks!
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, aisling said:

I must be petty because I console myself with “but all kisses and hot moments happened when Bong Hwan was inside”. :joy:

So Yong got a hug after she returned.

Yep. The one small mercy the writers threw at us. Had he passionately kissed her, I think I would have literally thrown up. In fact, it seemed they kept a lot of verbal interaction between the two (after the switch back) to a minimum. Thank God.

CJ's whole demeanor changed in that scene too. Whenever he would approach Mr. Queen, it was with calm, intensity, awe, passion, and/or confidence. His behavior at the lake with the returned SY had him back acting just like he did when he reunited with HWJ in episode 2 - even with the cheesy lines. When I heard him talk of "every second was an eternity," I thought back to him telling HWJ how their souls connected across the distance. These writers and their magic pencils...

Think this might be my last post. It helped so much to be able to rant about the betrayal I felt with the finale and see so many others feel the same way. I can't even rewatch anymore (and I had Mr. Queen playing non-stop every single night since its premiere)...just can't handle it right now, maybe never. It was the same with GOT. After the narrative disaster there, I just chucked the whole series. SMH at all of this and how bad the writing (not the individual prior episodes - they were brilliant - but the overall framework and resolution) became. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@Sandy Prater

Both KJH and SHS are genius. The moment the switch happened the whole atmosphere changed too. No more blazing sizzling smoking passionate chemistry crackling in the air but calm chastised sedated chemistry instead. 

I agreed that the dynamic is very similar with how CJ and HW were. Pretty on the surface but empty underneath with tiny unsettling feels floating deep down. While SB-CJ’s always wreaked havoc on the surface with fire blazing underneath. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, cenching said:

@Sandy Prater

Both KJH and SHS are genius. The moment the switch happened the whole atmosphere changed too. No more blazing sizzling smoking passionate chemistry crackling in the air but calm chastised sedated chemistry instead. 

I agreed that the dynamic is very similar with how CJ and HW were. Pretty on the surface but empty underneath with tiny unsettling feels floating deep down. While SB-CJ’s always wreaked havoc on the surface with fire blazing underneath. 

I thought I was the only one who thought the palpable sexual attraction was gone the moment So Yong came back. Like how did both KJH and SHS did that?

spacer.png

One minute So Bong was wolf-whistling while looking at Cheoljong. SHS is truly a genius... this is what I imagine Choi Jin Hyuk would look like when he checks someone out. The masculinity of this scene... I can’t get over it.

But when So Yong came back... it was just so calm and sedated? I didn’t see any sparks flying when they hugged. I still don’t comprehend how both SHS and KJH managed to make that shift in body language.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

BI always finds the queen.

If SY hid in a man's body, BI would hold that man's hand and maybe even kiss him.

BI and SY are soul mates.

EuQ5MhXVoAMKgkt?format=jpg&name=large

I wanted the king to know the truth.

In the last scene by the lake, I expected CJ to notice that the queen was different.

I think CJ was only in love with BH.

They are soul mates.

EuQMjp1VIAQSZm-?format=jpg&name=large

TvN

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, aisling said:

I thought I was the only one who thought the palpable sexual attraction was gone the moment So Yong came back. Like how did both KJH and SHS did that?

Both KJH and SHS are very adept at understanding scenes, character motives and micro-interactions :partyblob: that's why I see no chemistry between SY and CJ - could be again a hidden way of signalling who the real OTP are :joy:

• Like 7

1 minute ago, rocher22 said:

I wanted the king to know the truth.

In the last scene by the lake, I expected CJ to notice that the queen was different.

I think CJ was only in love with BH.

They are soul mates.

TvN

It’s been a week since that devastating ending... I went from shock and disbelief to bitterness and resignation.

Jang Bong Hwan literally became the second lead in his own drama.

Bong Hwan should have met Cheoljong’s incarnation in the future. So Bong wished to meet him again in the next life during that meteor shower.... That would ease that pain a little. 

spacer.png

@partyon Because CJH played Bong Hwan in Mr Queen, I don’t think I will ever be able to look at him without hurting for Bong Hwan. :dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@aisling

Mr Queen's point of sale is a sexual attraction between CJ and SB. I am totally surprised by the amount of sexual innuendos and straight sexual tones thru out the drama. I thought after one wild kiss with the climax of the hot night, they are done. I did not expect we will get a half episode of her pondering over how great the night with CJ, lustful touches and glances, exposed chest cum ramyeon, many many almost kiss, the one CJ asked point blank if is it "aum" time, the sober bedding in the wild while pregnant and wounded, the suggestive wagon ride even the last kiss before the battle. I had never seen Kdrama with that amount of sexual tones, CMIIW. Like it or not I would have to agree with one article that said Mr Queen depicted a spiritual homosexuality....Because after one hot night with CJ, whatever pent up feelings that SB had for CJ exploded into real feeling that drove her to took a bullet for him.....

Bash them as much as we want but it's obvious that the writers are well informed in that area, because according to the research homosexuality can happens because of experience. Sex is addictive, addiction can leads people in doing many unusual things.

With the amount of queer baiting in Mr Queen, I wouldn't be surprise if there is backlash from western audience if it airs in Netflix.

Another thing, SHS must had the time of her life while filming Mr Queen. Her man spread, foul-mouthed unfiltered lingo, all of the unrestrained things that she got to do, but I love her crooked smile the best.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, cenching said:

@aisling

Mr Queen's point of sale is a sexual attraction between CJ and SB. I am totally surprised by the amount of sexual innuendos and straight sexual tones thru out the drama. I thought after one wild kiss with the climax of the hot night, they are done. I did not expect we will get a half episode of her pondering over how great the night with CJ, lustful touches and glances, exposed chest cum ramyeon, many many almost kiss, the one CJ asked point blank is it "aum" time, the sober bedding in the wild while pregnant and wounded, the suggestive wagon ride even the last kiss before the battle. I had never seen Kdrama with that amount of sexual tones, CMIIW. Like it or not I would have to agree with one article that said Mr Queen depicted a spiritual homosexuality....Because after one hot night with CJ, whatever pent up feelings that SB had for CJ exploded into real feeling that drove her to took a bullet for him.....

Bash them as much as we want but it's obvious that the writers are well informed in that area, because according to the research homosexuality can happens because of experience. Sex is addictive, addiction can leads people in doing many unusual things.

With the amount of queer baiting in Mr Queen, I wouldn't be surprise if there is no backlash from western audience if it airs in Netflix.

Another thing, SHS must had the time of her life while filming Mr Queen. Her man spread, foul-mouthed unfiltered lingo, all of the unrestrained things that she got to do, but I love her crooked smile the best.

SHS definitely enjoyed acting like a man in a woman’s body. This is once in a lifetime opportunity for her.... or it would be once in a lifetime opportunity for any actress because roles like that doesn’t come often. CMIIW, but none of the actresses gave such a sweeping performance in 2020, right? I can’t be the only one who think she’s worthy of Daesang for this role. She should take the Grand Prize because none of the actresses or even actors gave a performance of their life like SHS in 2020.

That’s what I was saying earlier... for a drama that was SO DARING they gave us the most disappointing ending inconsistent with the rest of the light tone of the drama. I don’t think I will ever forget their insane Tango roaring scene or that “elbow” scene. For all its flaws the casting director is worthy of our praises. KJH/SHS combined talents and chemistry won’t be dethroned  easily.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, aisling said:

SHS definitely enjoyed acting like a man in a woman’s body. This is once in a lifetime opportunity for her.... or it would be once in a lifetime opportunity for any actress because roles like that doesn’t come often. CMIIW, but none of the actresses gave such a sweeping performance in 2020, right? I can’t be the only one who think she’s worthy of Daesang for this role. She should take the Grand Prize because none of the actresses or even actors gave a performance of their life like SHS in 2020.

That’s what I was saying earlier... for a drama that was SO DARING they gave us the most disappointing ending inconsistent with the rest of the light tone of the drama. I don’t think I will ever forget their insane Tango roaring scene or that “elbow” scene. For all its flaws the casting director is worthy of our praises. KJH/SHS combined talents and chemistry won’t be dethroned  easily.

Yes!! YES!! OMG!! How come I forget to listed Tango scene?!?!  :isannoyed:

Regarding another actress' performance, I should say SYJ in It's Okay To Not Be Okay was great too. Different genre and roles but both are great in their own rights. Both drama were female-centric and both do shadowed their leading males in some scenes....They have great stage presence with awesome acting.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, cenching said:

Yes!! YES!! OMG!! How come I forget to listed Tango scene?!?!  :isannoyed:

Regarding another actress' performance, I should say SYJ in It's Okay To Not Be Okay was great too. Different genre and roles but both are great in their own rights. Both drama were female-centric and both do shadowed their leading males in some scenes....They have great stage presence with awesome acting.

Oh you’re right! I forgot about Se Ye Ji. She was brilliant too even though in a different way than Shin Hye Sun. I have a feeling they both will be nominated (as they should).

You are right that both of SYJ and SHS would’ve totally destroyed their male leads if they were paired up with some lesser actors than Kim Soo Hyun and Kim Jung Hyun. Luckily both these actors were able to keep up with their leading ladies. I love we’re getting more and more interesting female leads lately. Remembering those female leads who were no more than a plot device for male leads is painful.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Sandy Prater said:

In my final act of consoling myself over this heartbreaking ending (especially with the fact that we're not going to get a season 2...it's just not how Korean dramas roll with it), I remind myself that So Bong got the Cheoljong who was the superhero on the side with passion overflowing, an exciting storyline and moments of angst while holding and supporting each other in death defying situations...whereas So Yong now gets to live the life of a politician's wife. :sleeping:

Am I grasping? Why yes, yes I am. :approves:

:tounge_wink:

This is the fate of every couple who lives "happily ever after," from Snow White and her prince to Samwise Gamgee and Rose Cotton. The ever after is wonderful for them but boring for us. I think that was an actual quip made by a character in the Narnia books, that the children never get to visit Narnia when it's peaceful and they can enjoy themselves.

Yes, I know you were joking. :grin:

5 hours ago, cdcotr said:

The other WTH moment was in BH's timeline. They showed a flashback of the confrontation between him and the Han guy ion the balcony . The Han guy asked him why he would send on the CCTV and become a whistleblower when it isn't his personality and, this was something BH would not normally do.  Wait, what? This was before he went back to the past! His consciousness only came back after having lived in Joseon and changed his personality that he would actually do this. But only after he was in the hospital, after this incident, after him falling into the pool!

That was a major disappointment for me with the finale. Up to that last 15 minutes, the writers had been fantastic about paying off the plot threads they set up earlier. I really think they took a sloppy short cut here. To be fair, they might have wanted more time to wrap up BH's modern story, but could only have Choi Jin Hyuk for a very limited number of days. In this case, I would have been happier with an unknown actor and a less rushed ending.

Speculation of time travel movies usually winds up like this:

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

5 hours ago, cenching said:

At least the drama has the decency NOT to show any hot night between SY and CJ. But on a second thought, poor CJ can kiss his hot night goodbye. The most he will get is the one described by The Dowager...

If they had finally gotten to sexy times after BH left, I think the Team Abs folks here would have thrown their TVs and tablets across the room!

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

15 minutes ago, Raffles said:

If they had finally gotten to sexy times after BH left, I think the Team Abs folks here would have thrown their TVs and tablets across the room. 

This was me after livestreaming episode 20.

spacer.png

LMAO if they had included a kiss or a hot night after Bong Hwan left I’d really punch a hole into a wall. Let it be a small merciful gesture the writers left for us.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6