[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

Hmmm...watching the 1st episode of the bamboo forest...

1. Love at first sight - KsY on the king... hmm... kSY might think she fell in love with him, but we dont know if the king did... he might like how she looked like but not sure if it was love at first sight in his part... at least we know he likes his concunbine jo at first sight...  hmmm

2. She was supposed to be bad.. but at 1st episode we dont know how bad she is... 

• Like 1

After watched with English substitle, episode 20 and the spin off, I'm satisfied with the ending.

Thank you for the best ending, everyone get their own happy ending.

BI died, but it's better than live in misery, SY never loved him back, SY respected BI as her beloved big brother.

Better I don't share another reason why I love this ending. And I definitely will rewatch this drama again and again. For episode 19 and 20, I have watched both more than 3 times today with subtitles.

Oh yah, Mom, Big Aunt, and both of my cousin also love this ending. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, skinnyjeans said:

KJH's answer when a fans asked him if CJ know that BH left.

Oh well....as @cenchingI'm just going to turn the page too. And moove on ;) So I thank you all for sharing here and I send to this community all my best wishes for all <3 * Huge hug to all of you!* 

As KJH said it doesnt matter. Feeling a little bit like BH in the end of his story arc in this drama.  Had a good time laughing here and there . That's it it doesn't matter more than that.

You matter, so be all well.

Going to my back-to-my body and mind self experience XD. Endlessly rewriting the story plot for BH/CJ is toxic and waisting my creativity.

Also happy that I will never meet someone who could have feelings for me, only through his "perspective". For Loving is empathie, going for who the one you cherish is trully/fully all about forgeting a bit of who you are, to let enter the one you cherrish inside. Way deep, way beyong yourself, way profoundly dipper than your selfish perspective.

Even for a macho Joseon King. He have way to learn yet :).

At the end he didnt make me laugh at all :)  (NB: Not actors fault, they were perfect).

So, I let it be...

spacer.png

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

I liked the ending too as everyone should go back to their time and after all he is a modern man who loves women. I like what she said at BI's grave - that only you could have seen me hiding inside her. She must have been so scared but was there along hiding and watching. You knew bits of her came out as her Dad and her always say the same things out loud at the same time (after all, they must have been close as her mother died at birth.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dr hafifah said:

so young act bold when she met the king for the first time,lend him her ribbon for his wound, i think that interesting in that era

True. So on top of look, he may be intrigued by her behaviour. Still those are very surface level of attraction. How he falls for the queen and willing to sacrifice for her requires deep love and I can't see how anyone can argue it's SY who made the king fell deeply in love with her. Credit can only go to SB.

57 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

Hmmm...watching the 1st episode of the bamboo forest...

1. Love at first sight - KsY on the king... hmm... kSY might think she fell in love with him, but we dont know if the king did... he might like how she looked like but not sure if it was love at first sight in his part... at least we know he likes his concunbine jo at first sight...  hmmm

2. She was supposed to be bad.. but at 1st episode we dont know how bad she is... 

Who? SY? GQD had questioned if SY behaved badly at the start because she wanted to be removed as the queen designate. SY did not admit but I think we can take that as her true intention so she is actually quite nice. I would say the king will like her if he knows her better but the writing never gives her much chance nor to us viewer (well, some of us) chance to support her.

Watching the 2nd episode of the spin off after ep 20 lighten my heart considerably. I even find the GQD and KJG sibling fight funny. However, I'm very confused. I thought it's about trivial stories in the palace but it looks like a totally different universe? SB and BI are around so I thought the stories took place before 'ep20'. However, Kim Hwan is an 'envoy'? Isn't he's made one only at end of ep 20, ie after SB and BI are not around? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, realistic2280a said:

To put things right, she wasnt supposed to be bad and wasn't bad. She treated everyone in the palace badly because this was her way to show GQD that she doesn't want to be the Queen and wanted to leave the palace. But GQD told her it was no use and she has no choice.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, cenching said:

One thing that I can't take it is how some people who said there are 2 souls inside 1 body all along that take control alternatively. So KSY emerges for the sex with CJ and JBH took control when there were heavy lifting??? As a woman I feel positively offended, is that what a woman for?

Well, the shared body is one theory. We can only guess.

I don't think anyone is suggesting women can't do this or that because it takes a man. SY is her own person, and needed help in this area. This show is teaming with strong female characters who stood toe-to-toe with So Bong and the men of the court (according to their station). The only regular female character I can think of that didn't is Hong Yeon, and she made her reasons clear to Hwan. (And even she was throwing bombs in the end.)

5 hours ago, shimshimae said:

Chingus, my writer instincts are taking over :joy: - I'm borrowing these two ideas for the fanfic - hope that's okay! 

Please feel free!

I see people are starting to move on to other topics and shows. I'll be around for a while longer, but thanks for making the thread fun, y'all (though I was never on Team Abs, sorry!:lol:)

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

nope, nope, nope. I can't let go of this drama yet (am I alone?) I watched 20 episodes and the two spin-off episodes but there seems to be a void in me? I watched 19.5 episodes thinking that it was a soul swap between Bong-Hwan and So-yong but it was a soul combination? It feels as if the writers didn't give me that vibe for 19 episodes? I mean, sure- I got that gist from time to time that So-yong and Bong-Hwan were in one body but whaaaaaaaaat? The ending wasn't unexpected to me but jeez, that last line from Cheoljong BROKE me. The whole "Why are you speaking formally to me? Are you plotting a surprise?" AHHHHH, no Cheoljong- no more surprises now... But I am almost so sure that Cheoljong already knows THE moment that So-bong left and So-yong returned. Surely Cheoljong feels as if something is gone, but if So-yong retained memories of Bong-Hwan (which I assume she did)... So-yong can hopefully play that double role of So-bong! (Maybe?)

And plus, from the spinoff episode, it looks like So-yong and Cheoljong fell in love at first sight... Soooooo.... It's only natural that Cheoljong will love So-yong no matter what she becomes of. I mean, yes- Cheoljong went through all of those hardships with So-bong but nevertheless, I still believe that So-yong was THERE through it all.

Like many here have voiced, Bong-Hwan pulled off all of the heavy lifting, went to war with Cheoljong, went through 19 episodes but ALL of that hardship but then So-yong scoops in? Whaaaaaaaaat? I completely also get that there was no way that Bong-Hwan was staying in So-yong's body forever and this was the only happy ending ever accepted in this universe.

I guess the only good thing that I can see is that So-yong has that wild instinct of Bong-Hwan and has retained memory. My wild imagination has brought me to hear So-yong also becoming that wild free spirit that constantly calls out "Cheoljong" instead of "Your Majesty". If someone made a compilation of So-Bong calling "Cheoljong" and of Cheoljong's "Queen", that would be so cool lol.

Anyway- I have accepted this ending as the best possible ending for the two (crying for Kim Byeong-in brb) but I will also take the spin-off as the ending too. The spin offs were too cute to ignore. Love jealous Cheoljong. :fullofhearts:... I feel like I've been writing endlessly and blabbering so perhaps none of this makes sense but one thing makes sense which is this was one of the best dramas I've watched thus far and this was an amazing cast! I loved the chemistry between all of the cast, especially SHS and KJH! I hope that there will be another project for them both in the future! I would LOVE for them to be in a modern drama with a true happy ending. :selfie2:

• Like 8
  • Blob 1

I liked the ending. I watched the whole show from the perpective of both souls in one body.

SB was supposed to go back and SY gain her body back. I dont think it was fair for SY not to be fully present.

Also i dont believe that SY is the same as HJ. HJ purposely acted as she was SY whereas SY was inhabited by SB without her consent and also SY was there all along.. And by how SY was going to explain this? Hmm CJ a man from the future was living inside me?

-SB was the link for SY and the King to come close. Even though SB was controling her body SY was always there but not be able to come out completely. They coexisted somehow.

-Lets not forget that the king had always feelings for SY but her being a Kim clan did not allow him to get o know her better.

-SY wondered if that man had gone eventually. Meaning she was aware if his presence. 

-i think SY and SB shared some similar characteristics but in different time periods thus the difference in using honorifics. The King said that he new SY was a bit crazy. She was weird from the begining.

-The heart fluttering was SY not SB (this had suprised SB anyway)

-The talking with the her father and speaking at the same time (when SB was there and after he left, when only SY) shows that SY was there all along.

-Kim Byong In said to SB/SY  "if you have memories of her she must be still  inside you"

- When SY was cursing at the last episode just like SB did, she wondered perhaps SB had awaken her true self.

how do we know that SY wouldn't have acted the same way when CJ was suppposed to be dead? In the last episode when she took off her hairpin and stubbed Jwa Geun or when she told CJ to go inside and she will be ok even though she was hurting, shows that she had it in her.

What i would have changed is to have an internal battle between SY and SB. It would have been more funny.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

34 minutes ago, Annie12 said:

I liked the ending. I watched the whole show from the perpective of both souls in one body.

SB was supposed to go back and SY gain her body back. I dont think it was fair for SY not to be fully present.

Also i dont believe that SY is the same as HJ. HJ purposely acted as she was SY whereas SY was inhabited by SB without her consent and also SY was there all along.. And by how SY was going to explain this? Hmm CJ a man from the future was living inside me?

-SB was the link for SY and the King to come close. Even though SB was controling her body SY was always there but not be able to come out completely. They coexisted somehow.

-Lets not forget that the king had always feelings for SY but her being a Kim clan did not allow him to get o know her better.

-SY wondered if that man had gone eventually. Meaning she was aware if his presence. 

-i think SY and SB shared some similar characteristics but in different time periods thus the difference in using honorifics. The King said that he new SY was a bit crazy. She was weird from the begining.

-The heart fluttering was SY not SB (this had suprised SB anyway)

-The talking with the her father and speaking at the same time (when SB was there and after he left, when only SY) shows that SY was there all along.

-Kim Byong In said to SB/SY  "if you have memories of her she must be still  inside you"

- When SY was cursing at the last episode just like SB did, she wondered perhaps SB had awaken her true self.

how do we know that SY wouldn't have acted the same way when CJ was suppposed to be dead? In the last episode when she took off her hairpin and stubbed Jwa Geun or when she told CJ to go inside and she will be ok even though she was hurting, shows that she had it in her.

What i would have changed is to have an internal battle between SY and SB. It would have been more funny.

I agree with this. I think I'm going to have a re-watch with the perspective of two souls sharing one body between SB and SY. I also think that CJ from the beginning to the end had loved SY - like you said, she was a bit weird from the beginning anyway. It was so refreshing to see that from the spinoff, SY was chasing around to see CJ but in the drama (toward the end), CJ was chasing around to see SY at the same place in the palace. I absolutely agree that the heart fluttering was SY- that when CJ was "chasing" SY/SB, that it was still SY who felt it. Although I definitely side with you that SB was surprised that he had kind of felt something too. 

And YES- the way that SY had cursed in her room- bwhaha- I could tell that she definitely was a wild card and SB had awoken her ACTUAL self. She hated the palace and was rude/mean because she couldn't escape but now that the palace was safe and that CJ was around to protect her (and vice versa), SY could be her actual self and be true to herself.

...Can anyone actually tell me where those icy little ducks turned out? I saw SHS and KJH playing with the snowy ducks but.... the drama and spinoffs didn't show those little ducks? Not complainin'- they're adorable with their chemistry. Havin' a mini self-protest here wanting another drama from them... like... in the near future...?

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

Source Cosmopolitan magazine 10/14/20, 

"the truth about love at first sight

Having a super-intense reaction when meeting someone for the first time is not just a figment of your imagination. “That very strong electrical feeling that people say they have—that’s very much possible,” says Niloo Dardashti, PhD, a psychologist and relationship expert in New York City. However, it’s not exactly what you would call love.

“With love, we’re talking about things like intimacy, tolerating somebody’s flaws, seeing them as a whole person and still liking them, and so on. That’s a lot of stuff that generally doesn’t happen in the first moment you look at someone,” explains Dardashti.

What you’re actually feeling is really just a result of having a strong attraction to the person. “But then, you’re attaching all these attributes to that feeling like, ‘This is meant to be. This is love at first sight. This is something inexplicable. It felt electric, and therefore, it must be love,’” Dardashti explains.

Don’t get too bummed though. This strong, instantaneous connection you have with this person may eventually manifest into real love. "

ENOUGH WITH THIS LOVE AT FIRST-SIGHT, it doesn't exist.  You can have intense reactions to so someone , you need to have a relationship for long lasting love.  

CJ had an intense reaction to SY

CJ had  potential for a long lasting love with SB

He can have long lasting love with SY, that should be base on honesty, trust and  SY taking credit for SB hard work isn't a good start. I found plenty for fan fiction online so. I am moving on. 

FYI, I never expected a BL ending for Mr. Queen.  BH without So Yong's memories is a bromance.  SY memories and BH 's  soul created SB. If  SY had been my active participated and not a bystander. I need a reason to care SY see the character development. 

My never going to happen endings

SB willing choose his life with CJ. 

BH wanting to be with CJ even as a man in future. In SK, not happening 

My happy satisfyingly end would be 

BH and SY agree to go back to their lives, she thanks him for his assistance.  SY is now more empower woman who can stand by CJ as an strong queen,  we saw a lit bit with GDQ.  She shouldn't be this submissive woman in the present of her husband. BH's soul was  insider for months you didn't  learn a something.  SY should be honest with her husband, that she has come back and no longer has BH soul inside of her. So she can have her long lasting love, without  a shadow of BH.   BH finds his soul mate and we see possibilities for his happy ending. 

Edited by Rae
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

I finished ep 20.

My thoughts:

• The episodes:
    • Ep 1-16 were great and I felt really invested watching them
    • Ep 17-19 felt mostly like filler episodes with little plot development, I had a hard time finishing these episodes
    • Ep 20 was the only episode that I used the FF button in
  • Body swapping:
    • I should have listened to my sweetie @Lmangla who told me that this type of genre is dangerous territory. I wish I had listened to her, because I was utterly disappointed by the ending
  • The ending:
    • The couple that actually fell in love and went through ep 2-19 together were parted in the end :bawling: The show implied that they missed each other, but they never explored it further
    • Bong Hwan got no justice in the end; what did he actually gain from his whole adventure?
  • My conclusions
    • I will stay away from body swapping dramas from now on
    • I will stay away from k-dramas that touch on any topic deemed too conservative for South Korea

The only positive thing I have to say about the ending is that my oppa Choi Jin Hyuk is a cutie pie :love:

a3f0390e-5dd8-4732-9a15-d882ed1988a6.jpg

PS. If anyone wants me to put up a poll, please let me know. Personally I just want to forget this drama from now on :joy:

tagging @Abs_ triggered @Min2206 @sadthe1st @Sleepy Owl

• Like 14
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

57 minutes ago, partyon said:

My conclusions

• I will stay away from body swapping dramas from now on
  • I will stay away from k-dramas that touch on any topic deemed too conservative for South Korea

To be fair, regardless of countries, overwhelming amount (I would say maybe more than 90%) of the movies & tv shows dealing with magical gender swap would end up with the  character(s) restored to their original body. So when watching this kind of movies and shows it's better to set the expectation from the beginning that the swap is only temporary. 

So yes, maybe Korea is really conservative and all that, but how many gender swap movies & shows in the supposedly more liberal countries that have the protagonist(s) permanently stay in their new body? 

• Like 9

Looks like most of international fans are really ripping the ending apart. There are very strong opinions about Mr Queen ending on various forums.

I have to admit I was sobbing when the finale was airing and I realised with horror that the worst possible ending I mocked several times before was really happening before my eyes. 

Even in conservative Korea there were many ways to make a better satisfying ending than what they gave us. I literally sat there dumbfounded because I couldn’t  believe anyone could come up with such a brain-dead ending. 

The fact that they made us root for Bong Hwan to rediscover his identity and cheer for him when he slowly accepted his feelings for Cheoljong for the entire 19.5 episodes is like a hard slap in the face. They think I will care about the character who was silent and dead for 19.5 episodes when they bring her back for the last 5 minutes? The hell I will!

I also can’t believe they turned Cheoljong into someone who didn’t recognise the person he fell hard for. He literally remembered every single word Bong Hwan told him but couldn’t deduce the person he loved is gone? 

Because I loved this drama so much I feel betrayed tenfold. I wish I could unwatch this drama to avoid this heartbreak and anger. I wish I could unlove Bong Hwan and Cheoljong and forget about their slow burn sizzling romance.  

• Like 18

5 hours ago, Ni Wen said:

To put things right, she wasnt supposed to be bad and wasn't bad. She treated everyone in the palace badly because this was her way to show GQD that she doesn't want to be the Queen and wanted to leave the palace. But GQD told her it was no use and she has no choice.

@yumeaki.. perhaps Ni wen's explaintation is the right one...

But if i remember correctly, even the palace maids were scared of her... and i doubt it was made up? Mind you, between her selection and wedding as the queen, wasnt that long and Bong Wan took over her body before she became the queen, so we shall see if she was really mean inbetween?

Based on the first episode, SY worked hard to be top of the queen selection and was willing to leave if she didnt find the king attractive, so it was doubtful if she managed to turn bad in a span of a week, maybe?

But perhaps, after she got upset with the King and Concubine Jo, after seeing their affection together? Hmmm

Ok, im not sure why the bashing over the ending.. even Bong Wan wasnt mad about it, he just wanted the King to be alive be happy and rule justly... why do people want BW to be trapped in the body and his other body lying to rot on the hospital bed? I mean, seriously? SY still have some BW's characreristics (mostly great cooking skills and rudeness?), which might not be dominant now, but she still have some pieces of it (the confrontation with the Old queen)

On the question of what BW received at the end of this adventure? A lesson in history; a great trip down in 200 years old Korea; be part of of the palace politics, and king! which one only see in dramas; feels how to be a woman rather than a man, him being a playboy and all; a big lesson to him hopefully and he will treat woman better in the future? Hahahha...

My only complaint over the drama is over its length, should have been 16 episodes instead of 20... and now we have the Bamboo Forest episodes t:o

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I was gutted by the ending. There were a lot of satisfying and beautiful moments in the finale - from intimate character scenes to some gorgeous cinematography - but honestly, the blasé separation of Bong-hwan and Cheoljong left me kind of speechless. Bong-hwan was the one the king fell in love with, not So-yong. At no point did the drama ever imply SY and BH were "sharing" consciousness or "sharing" a personality. Up until the end it was clear BH had no idea if SY was still alive or not, and even though it's revealed that she'd been aware all along, she was never in control. She was just along for the ride, a very up-close witness to BH and CJ falling in love. And that's what we as the audience saw, a couple deeply in love and connected, and I'm in disbelief that they expect us to believe that a) BH magically lost all those feelings when he returned to the present, and b) that CJ wouldn't notice the difference in his wife. It was even indicated, while he was looking at the queen's dictionary, that he missed BH. But everything's still peachy? I would rather have had just a straight-up sad ending than have an ending that we're clearly supposed to accept as happy and resolved, but really isn't. I really can't believe the drama did that, it feels like we're being gaslit or something, and it's left such a sour taste in my mouth after what was an awesome story up until now.

I will also say I'm quite curious if Korean audiences considered the ending satisfying or not.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, partyon said:

Bong Hwan got no justice in the end; what did he actually gain from his whole adventure?

He's sadder but wiser, and less self-centered. He got his freedom back, a karma reward for learning to sacrifice for another. He will likely look for more in women than he did; he may be ready to start a family. And he will morn the passing of his friends and lover who are now long-dead. And drink a beer. Probably too many. 

On a lighter note, a toast to Kim Byung In, a man friend-zoned even in death.

• Like 7