[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

I don't think anyone cornered or scolded anyone in this thread. But if you post your opinions you can't expect not to be challenged on them if someone disagrees?  Especially if you try to underline them with facts and concepts. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

Honestly is anyone really surprised with the ending!? It’s Korean drama and for me, they always have lackluster endings despite a strong beginning. Look at My Love From The Star and even CLOY.  They were popular dramas but the endings all fell flat for me. I don’t have much hope for endings anymore and just watch it for what it’s worth. I commend the actors for giving us a great 3 months and a lot of laughs during a much needed time. I’ve always loved Shin Hye Sun and so glad for this pairing. I think KJH found himself the perfect acting partner to showcase what he is capable of 

• Like 16

The writer could have used the dying moment of SY (moment when she and baby were in danger) to give us clear closure and ending by having SY and BH had met on dream and talked. Something like sealing that they are actually the same soul but BH is the reincarnated one.

I bet we would be more satisfied.

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, aisling said:

Wow, I’m speechless. They just had to rub salt in the wound even deeper. Jeez, couldn’t you just leave this scene out? Why make it even more painful than it is? From time to time you feel like.... WHAT? That you lost someone precious? That your wife isn’t the person who you fell in love with?

This is unmistakably true. Where did my quirky, swaggering wife with her wacky words and visions of the future go?

Aside from the banquet and ramen he didn't eat, she never did cook for him, did she?

• Like 12

Actually I hate  it more with the English subs.  I like  the Chinese ending better. They lived and died together, sad but true the characters.  I am more  heartbroken than before.  

13 minutes ago, kozukomi said:

The writer could have used the dying moment of SY (moment when she and baby were in danger) to give us clear closure and ending by having SY and BH had met on dream and talked. Something like sealing that they are actually the same soul but BH is the reincarnated one.

I bet we would be more satisfied.

Anything is better this s...t ending. 

Edited by Rae
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

IMO, they should ended the conflict in episode 19 and tied up the lose ends regarding identity in the finale. CJ deserves to knows the real situation, SY deserves what’s her rights and JBH deserves a proper closures after all the emotional and physical turmoil he had been thru in Joseon Era. A lazy and sloppy writing indeed....

• Like 9

At first, I thought the show was so well written. From episode 15 onwards it seemed that they changed the screenwriter and the second screenwriter decided to disregard everything that the first had done and do whatever he wanted.

So Bong accused BI of not recognizing that SY was different and that he loved only a shell. After that, BH return for the current times and leave the CJ with only SY in SY's way (added with only some slight BH characteristics). Are they going to accuse CJ the same way they accused BI?

And the writers still show CJ looking at the queen's dictionary and saying that he feels a difference ... It seems that they know they caused confusion in writing and that they still did it on purpose.

Dear screenwriters, what was your intention? You could have done so many things and chosen things so confusing ...

Disregarding the parts I didn't like due to the script, there were some cute scenes, like their good luck kiss, CJ without wanting to leave the queen to go and prevent the new king from taking over and in the end they were looking for each other. The writers really know how to write the romance part.

I have to register a round of applause for Hyesun. The way she interpreted SY makes it totally visible, which is different from when BH was inside her.

If these writers hadn't lost their sense of direction, I would say it was supposed to be a top-ten drama. The cast was wonderful. Filming, impeccable direction, photography, costumes etc. There were so many cool parts that made me have fun, so despite my anger at the script, I still like various parts of the show.

As for the end of BH, I always thought he should go back to his time. He had his family and his life to go on ... However, I really hoped that the writers would have developed the story in such a way that BH was the reincarnation of SY and that, in some way, he remembered the life of the whole SY, until the end.

• Like 10
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, kara_mella said:

my argumentation ends here - I might be at fault bcuz  I watched the eps without subtitles, and after I ignored them, but it is what I understood first hand - my bad. Moreover I wrote about concepts and things that I have knowledge about.  It didn't help, but I don't have to be cornered or scolded because I have a different opinion. 

Thank you for everything and take care!

It was nice to hang around! 

I don't think anyone tried to corner you here. A writer's work is always open to many interpretations. You have all the right to feel different about a story than others. 

Though you may feel that since you have watched without the need of subtitles and have a clearer viewpoint of the story, there are certain scenes that help establish evidence that BH was behind a lot of decisions that SY/SB made. That's what they are pointing out. 

Many of the books I have read are translated from another languages. I have written English subtitles for dramas and songs in my  native language. I understand how you bring out the point that people often misinterpret things because of the language barrier. Verbal and non-verbal behaviors do change a lot from country to country. 

Regarding cultural barriers, I am not sure if I am considered a "naïve westerner" (as mentioned in one of your posts). I am from India and I love reading Indian mythology and history. Before I started watching dramas, I used to think that Chinese, Indian, Korean, Japanese cultures are extremely different. But dramas did open my eyes a lot. There are so much commonalities between the cultures that it is uncanny. I was fascinated that more than 1000 words in my native language, a south indian one (tamil) sound similar to korean words. Even little superstitions like naming a fetus as dog poop in Fated to love you is similar to one of the local superstitions: I know a person in my own family named as "beggar" for similar reasons. The concept of honor in India was and still is very prevalent. Though suicide is considered sin, a lot of people value honor more than suicide. So when you try to explain SY's actions because of Korea's cultural history, I didn't find that any different from an Indian women's in that era. 

The confusion starts when we think about : 

1.  Whether CJ fell for SB or SY. 

2. When you mentioned BH was purely "driven" by SY's feelings, does it mean he has no emotions at all? Also, It is hard for the audience to believe that a demure SY from the Joseon era would drive BH (SB) to show PDA or be assertive because her instincts would have influenced BH to calm down and not fight back. But SB fought back till the end which shows BH had more power than you might think. If, like you said,  BH was bound to SY and did all this only to help SY succeed, then, when he came back to the present life, he would have extremely worried about what happened to SY and the baby.  She was also shot after all. He put in so much efforts to help her, right? His attachment to her should be the strongest if he was bound to her. But BH didn't do that. He ran to check if CJ was fine. He wanted to save CJ. That shows his emotions and love (doesn't matter if it's platonic or romantic) for CJ. 

I'm glad you were able to see the story in a satisfying way where every thing fell in the perfect place. Good for you. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Raffles said:

I am not... satisfied by the ending, but I am not crushed like some of you. I do feel your pain, though! I invested half a decade in Game of Thrones, only to watch the writers flush it down the drain. It hurts, and leads to understandable rage quitting. :dissapointed_relieved:

@Raffles I can so relate. I was in a down mood for a month after Game of Thrones ended. I even asked myself if it's a waste spending my youth building up high expectations for such a nonsense ending. It's the worst ending I've ever seen. That might explain why I take Mr. Queen's in a quite relaxed manner.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Sunset said:

But SB fought back till the end.

To be honest, not until she was cornered. If Sunwon had left her alone, So Bong would have busied herself with her little strange projects and had her baby. She would not have gone "all in."

But once all in, she was a one-wo(man) wrecking crew. That's when she crossed the last barrier and backed her husband 100 percent.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Raffles said:

To be honest, not until she was cornered. If Sunwon had left her alone, So Bong would have busied herself with her little strange projects and had her baby. She would not have gone "all in."

But once all in, she was a one-wo(man) wrecking crew. That's when she crossed the last barrier and backed her husband 100 percent.

Yes, in the post, I was trying compare SB and SY. SB going all-in seems more plausible than SY going all-in, especially while being pregnant. 

SB is the wo(man) :partyblob:

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

And we thought the Chinese version had bad endings  :joy: 

You know what I just realised? I finally caught the famous second lead syndrome! Can you believe I’ve never suffered from SLS even though I’ve been watching dramas for over a decade?

But I guess this is what people feel when they root for the person who ends up alone while loving a main lead? 

3Ti1B61.jpg

I’m team So Bong all the way! 
So Bong will always remain my true eccentric Queen and the one who Cheoljong fell in love with.

• Like 14
  • LOL 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 2

6 minutes ago, Sunset said:

SB going all-in seems more plausible than SY going all-in, especially while being pregnant. 

This is true. No way SY would have looked down at Sunwon crunching ice like a boss after nearly being poisoned.

• Like 7

A propos to all who bore down upto till the shitty end. It sucks, all throughout it, no indication of it being SY except in moments he went girly and screamed her head off after that hot night with the king.

Let's just agree to disagree. I say ending was RickRoll'D crap. but thats me, I am not close minded to consider a heterosexual man can develop feelings for another heterosexual man. It does happen. I believe the writers had to bow down to the SK conservatives that frown at that kind of relationship. Even as a possibility. If SK was like Thailand, I bet, it wouldn't end that way.

On a note though, SK drama can run a good 20-30 episode wonderful drama and muck it up on the final episode. There was never a sageuk that ran well and ended up wonderfully. I guess, SK societal norms don't do well for good endings.

BTW, one thing I really, really didn't like about SY as opposed to SB is that she was such a coward. When KJG gave her a task to do, was it to spy on the King, rather than go against her clan, do the right thing, she does what? Kill herself?! Okaaayyyy. 

SB got threatened, got assassination attempts but never did back down. The more SB is pushed, the harder SB pushed back, SY however just crumpled in a corner to die. So in my eyes, SY's redemption was not to take the position of the King's beloved but to go with BI, in the afterlife.

Who deserved to live more? It is the one who didn't give up at the slightest sign of trouble.

Looking at my signature on this forum, 

Who was it that loved without hesitation, without conditions and without limitations?

I'd say the one who went all in, damn the repercussions, because he had nothing to lose.

Edited by Berou
Please do not circumvent the swear filter. Thanks !
  • Like 12
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

I was so going to sell this show to my friends once they could binge-watch it. I still might, but frame it as a gender-bender version of Back to the Future where a modern guy goes back in time and helps a couple save their relationship. No spoilers, but that does hint at the ending.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, aisling said:

And we thought the Chinese version had bad endings  :joy: 

You know what I just realised? I finally caught the famous second lead syndrome! Can you believe I’ve never suffered from SLS even though I’ve been watching dramas for over a decade?

But I guess this is what people feel when they root for the person who ends up alone while loving a main lead? 

I’m team So Bong all the way! 
So Bong will always remain my true eccentric Queen and the one who Cheoljong fell in love with.

I think the King did realize that it was no longer the woman he loved, remember, he does remember all the things that SB says to him. I bet he also remembered what SB told him that he was a man from the future.

Hence, the scene of him pondering on whether or not he lost something very precious while looking at the Queen's dictionary.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3