[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

The challenge the writers had is that they couldn't establish So Yong and Bong Hwan as themselves, show where they need to grow and create sympathy for them. As a result, they feel like interlopers when they are restored. Maybe the shorts will help here.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Blob 1

14 minutes ago, shimshimae said:

could be a minor balm for all the stabbing they did :sweat_smile: to the ending (I mean, they didn't even kiss properly lol) - also do you guys think the spinoffs are hinting at a season 2?? with all the wishing from every character during the comet scene
and how come they are inconsistent even in the spinoffs - they show SY and SB! 

As I still have not watched the finale and the spinoffs with the subs, I'm still putting some benefit of doubt to the whole matter. But it is a hard place to be. I remember in film class, the visuals (in the raw ver)  should  be able to stand on its own. The text from the subs are additional details.

With what I've seen earlier, much of me (65%) is feeling that there was/were somethings not honest about the ending. That either, it's all been rushed, or that there's a neglect that had to be corrected midway but things got messed up all the more or there were external constraints that the writers allowed that affected the integrity of the storytelling and the characters.

But then there's the remaining %. So right now, I've thought of the idea of a Season 2. Hoping that it could better explain things,or give BH the frame for his story. To show who is now BH as he returns from all that. I can't accept that he just was made to go back like nothing happened or not much connection anymore to what he left behind. Those BH scenes (in the lib/bookshop and out on the street) just ain't right or clear. 

I know lengthening the narrative would also be tricky and could be a trap for so many other things. But right now I'm willing to risk that again than just be ok with this one after subs and spinoffs have been understood and it still feels the same. I'm all for accepting flaws but I'm of the belief also that before one gets to be accepting, there is a process that has to be allowed and met with respect.What are the points to be accepted? What has to be let go off honestly? 

Haaay Writernims,what made you end it like that? What have you done to us? I thought I can go back to my quiet, boring life after a week, but it seems no.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

“My life without me”

We thought it was about So Yong but in the end it was about Bong Hwan. He created life and love for So Yong, but it’s SY who will continue this life with Cheoljong and everyone else who Bong Hwan came to cherish.

• Like 10
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, grimreaper said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t the events in the spin-off take place during the 20 episodes? I read somewhere that these are moments that couldn’t be shown in the main drama so they aired it in the spin-off.

They filmed the spinoff after they finished filming the drama. The spinoff contains a "secret" flashbacks of So Yong and Cheoljong meeting prior to her being selected as his queen so there is no other logical reason why this particular scene couldn't have been aired during the original run of the drama. It certainly wasn't because of the running time restriction because some of the episodes in the first half lasted almost 80 minutes whereas the episodes in the second half ranged from 65-70 minutes therefore there was definitely enough space to fit in at least 7 minutes worth of those flashbacks in half of the episodes.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

I went to bed knowing the ending. And when I just woke up its still as bad.

Let's put it down to the nitty gritty. CJ is not going to have the 21st century male who knew women and the moves.  In bed!!!

He is going to get for the REST of his life the probable * cough, cough " Joseon version of the conservative lie passively like a statue wife. In bed!!!

So there. No zest for life, no cooking skills, no witty conversations, no initiative, no flirting, I presumed a wife with a  history of depressive mood, who probably doesn't even French kiss,  who can only sprout agreeable comments, submissive FEMALE.

And the King is ok with that? Oh geez... go get some concubines then. What's the point of the suggestive scene in the cart then? I haven't watched with subs but I heard correctly right? He has the hots for her and he doesn't even know when SY returns? Does SY look like she will be va- va- voom to you?

So there. Grrr.... GAH!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

Thank you, @cenching and @aisling.

I thought it So Bong too based on her mannerism but I couldn't hear the sound in the clip right now.

I will re watch it later.

2 hours ago, aisling said:

I’m so traumatised I don’t think I will be able to sleep for days. I’m so devastated, disappointed, heartbroken by that ending. My brain just doesn’t comprehend how the brilliant show ended like a crap. Nothing makes sense.

I’m going to keep my promise to blacklist those two writers forever. Never more. 

You all know how much I loved this drama till the last episode happened. I loved it with my heart and soul. I dedicated 10 weeks of my time and heart to this drama. If I didn’t love so much, I wouldn’t be this heartbroken. But the fact that all interactions and sweet/funny moments between So Bong and Cheoljong means crap in the end... why to bother rewatching? Why to bother have your heart flutter when in the end those moments meant nothing.

This is literally the worst ending I can imagine. I made fun of this version of the ending several times before because I couldn’t imagine someone would be stupid enough to write such a BAD ending. Even if they both died it’d be a better ending. 

If I didn’t love So Bong/Cheoljong so much, my tears wouldn’t be falling as I type. The fact that their romance was perfect until the last episode makes it even worse for letting go. 

Aww I understand your feeling.

That's why I think it will be better if the screenwriters don't use a king and queen in the real history as the main characters at the first place. At least they can make the man in the modern time as the reincarnation of the queen. 

But no matter how unsatisfied I feel with the plot and the screenwriters, I'm really happy that Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun got the chance to work together in this drama. We got addicted with this drama and keep commenting here because of their sizzling chemistry despite our frustration with some parts of the plot-_-

Come on, screenwriters and PD, please cast them again in your next dramas!

They have great acting skill and sizzling chemistry together.

What are all of you waiting for?!

credit to the owner

They are so cute.

If I'm not mistaken, this was the latest Kim Jung Hyun and Shin Hye Sun offscreen interaction picture that they share with fans because based on their costumes, this look like it was taken after Shin Hye Sun joined Kim Jung Hyun IG live at the filming set of the Mr Queen spin-off.

credit to the owner

I want to see Kim Jung Hyun & Shin Hye Sun act again as a couple just like these actors & actresses:bawling:

And when I mentioned I want to see them act again as couple I don't want Kim Jung Hyun to become cameo in another Shin Hye Sun's drama/movie as a cheater/trash character like he did with Seo Ji Hye's drama, Dinner Mate-_-

credit to the owner

• Like 10
  • Love 2

On 2/7/2021 at 4:28 PM, kara_mella said:

Once again ur post is sweet, and I appreciate ur sincerity. Hopefully will meet again; hugs, stay safe and healthy! 

Dear... Kara Mella  thank  you for your well wishes and nice post.. you put a smile on my face... :sparklyeyes:

Everyone happy Valentine's day... whether you celebrate it or not... let's rejoice in the power of friendship and love worldwide.... :fullofhearts:

Also I'm only briefly singing in ... to write... here it comes... I told you so... :tounge_xd:...ok ..ok ... let's not be mean .... i know there might be a lot of people that enjoyed  the drama ... the production was stunning ... but on a personal note... if you have read or come across any of my post, you will know that I'm  a big believer of two things when it comes to film... script writing and cast development .... those two things truly are the heart that can shape the outcomes of likability and acceptance of a production when expose to the audience ..... the rest are cherries on top ...or the adds on... those you appreciate for the value they incorporate... music , scenic framing ,direction ,setting , light usage, customs...  those are easily excuse when the plot , the screen writing and script depiction ... are flawless , moving , or just great in general... and if the characters keep consistensy  in their complexity ...as movers of depth , purpose ...... if they are flesh out to be seen as people that make you feel for them in their tragedies and triumphs  ... then you know  you are there to see a viable product of television .... after all , psychologically  speaking .... the idea is to create a connection  with viewers to have them keep coming for more ...whether the message is acceptable or not .... but to leave us with an unprecedented human emotion .... when shows achieve such greatness , thought provoking enlightenment... whether is love, anger, revenge, death ect... then they will know they have done something right... at times lesser stellar productions come out with more depth and value that high quality intented TV ...

The idea of the drama was refreshing... a  charming - womanizer first century man transported to the past ... to fill the shoes of a woman... a queen nonetheless... and the everyday survival .... the idea was so charming ...there was so much they could have done with it ..... I will be honest with you.... Go princess Go .... only achievement was to tackle this sentiment ....sadly , their approach was terrible... GPG was never a good drama .... maybe back then in 2015 when that drama came out....maybe  the popular wave ...the trend among the masses made the drama acceptable... but it is already 2021 ... so much has change in the span of 5 years .... for TV to recollect ideas .... we are in a new era of television, at least i hope we are.... where we want our dramas to feel like entertaining escapes of possibilities... equality, justice , biracial marriages,  the common struggles of life - job, society, family , ect...  , gay rights ,feminist views , etc... we want our TV to be inclusive of everything there is now ... even in comedy or fantasy.... I'm not promoting an agenda ...but when you don't treat a subject with care... this is what you are left with .... if you are not ready to tell a story... how it might be perceive  ... then don't tell it at all... because it becomes a failure no matter how gorgeous  it is to look at.... if your society is not ready to perhaps accept the subject that you are presenting ( because lets be honest .... I knew this was not BL ...for those that do not know that stands for boys love... but if you are writing a characters that with all intent and purposes was a man... who has to romanticize another male lead ...even if trapped in a woman's body... that it  just sounds  to me like you want to maybe entertain that idea ....or if you decide not to entertain it ... then do a better job of portraying it so ....because what the characters said and do ... have to match ...no matter how disjointed we are as human beings ... we do have a persistent essence ...which the drama calls souls... an interchangeable , independent form of identity ... then keep it... 

this is just bad story telling.... is like the drama decided to be something in the first half... and then decided to change their minds ....I do not see where the " this drama will be revolutionary " aspect is located... in the documentary for the intro before the drama aired... the production sort of promoted with that slogan... the first of a kind .... i don't see it ... but anyhow...

For me the main theme to focus on was " Love" what it means to love a person ....whether romantically or not... what it means to commit to a relationship .... marriage are not roses ....the hardest part is not falling in love, is keeping it ...through out all the stages ...infatuation, passion, desire, friendship, willingness ,effort ..... acceptance that you are just as flawed as me .....we grow  gradually individually and into each other ....we are not the people we were in the beginning ...and because of that , I wouldn't have any other way... I thought that was the subject they were going to piece out when they said that JBH and CJ were soulmates....I am to believe they are bros ....I don't know... they shouldn't have amplify their chemistry if they were going to be so .....like i said , if a society is judgmental of such  visions... they don't entertain the idea ... it just comes out as a fiasco... really ...

The writer's main problem , was that he or she.... did copy and paste from a very flawed script .... why couldn't she-he  take the idea and modified it to present day sensibilities .... GPG does not have a very fluid...nice   script... it truly is very questionable, one of its weakest links .... if you watched this drama , you will know that the K version is the same ...it took all aspect and main aspiration  from GPG ... from every situation ... and yes, it did performed it better ... but because the original script had no  heart at its core... then it sort of fails in intention.... However, both dramas did have their moments ... there are only 2 scenes from GPG that are beautifully  scripted .... when the main lead rejects the male lead interest in her... and when she accepts that perhaps  this is her... this woman that is reflected in the mirror  is her ... when she accepts her body and her feelings for the main lead... that was the only saving grace i could find ... Mr. queen had its moments in the lake scene , the confrontation scene ... the she is my woman scene ...many of CJ scenes on the royal throne ... HW and CJ conversation about their failed relationship .... but overall , by trying to avoid what they promised (  because CJ and JBH did have a certain level of intimacy and fascination  between each other ) .... the ending result is very dissatisfying ....the perfect cast choice... was what pull it through for so long ....but this is also a lesson .... no matter how good of an actor you are...or how beautiful a drama might looked.... nothing saves bad script-screen  writing.... we are no longer in an age where we can merely be entertain by merely looking at pretty ...we seek depth, or laugh ...but overall consistency  and respect for the subject that one decides to carry on into TV ...I mean TV nowadays accounts for much of what we develop as our personal biases....I will leave it here...

@briseis Im glad you are here, i didn't know you were watching Mr queen  ... I remember you from Moon lovers ....what a roller coaster  that was .....I always like what you write ...I couldn't agree more ...your post are always so insightful ...

friends...such a pleasure bye....let's write in another drama... 

• Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, shimshimae said:

I think except the first mini-episode, all other five episodes seem to take place during the 20 episodes

Thank you! 

29 minutes ago, briseis said:

They filmed the spinoff after they finished filming the drama. The spinoff contains a "secret" flashbacks of So Yong and Cheoljong meeting prior to her being selected as his queen so there is no other logical reason why this particular scene couldn't have been aired during the original run of the drama. It certainly wasn't because of the running time restriction because some of the episodes in the first half lasted almost 80 minutes whereas the episodes in the second half ranged from 65-70 minutes therefore there was definitely enough space to fit in at least 7 minutes worth of those flashbacks in half of the episodes.

True. They had enough time to fit their first meeting into the drama. Thank you! 

• Like 3

He’s literally looking at the Queen’s dictionary. Would Queen’s dictionary exist without Bong Hwan?

Bong Hwan can’t take it anymore. He needs to know if it’s body or soul that wants it. So you’re telling me this means nothing? That Jang Bong Hwan didn’t feel anything? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, may6 said:

oh Dear.... I ask myself the same thing ...:isannoyed:...jaja 

Well, he is not - not even the second lead, so what's the point of whole this, may I ask?

I understand... for me perhaps - it's easier to accept this kind of ending bcuz I know more about their culture and I'm familiar with their mentality; that's why - from the very start I couldn't see them SY / BH/ CJ as a possible love tringle or BH falling in love with CJ; the funny part which worked for me was that the guy's spirit was trapped in her body - but could feel all her emotions -/ in the beginning she was so numb that wouldn't resurfaces, but she was there/  -> remember the scene that we commented when the King decided to go after the Queen to kill her - he still had feelings for her - [ the spin offs were elaborated considering the main events of the drama], then after ep 5 - when SB decides to jump into the river [ here again BH is such a selfish bashfhfshf he doesn't care what happens with SY [ she may die drowned, all he wants is to go back; like he didn't care when he unveiled that she tried to kill herself - that alone being such a great dishonor for her - leaving her on shaky ground - with QD and the court thinking or trying to depose her]. BH was driven by SY's feelings - that's why he decides to help CJ - that heart beating too fast when seeing CJ's chest - wasn't his, nope - not his flesh and blood, the beating heart was SY's. She was with him during the first night together, so her heart reacts, her body reacts, it's normal. I like tomboyish SB, but BH belongs to his time, so everything returns to its right place. 

ep 20 - when SB kisses CJ he asks - What is this? 

SB answers: 몰라, 나도 [ me too]  - Which means - I don't know/ I don't have clue why I did that - 나도 - me too - SB is equally surprised; so my point is that SY resurfaces with out any warning and she is convinced now more then never that the King loves her back and wants to be with him during  tough times. After the 1st night the King realizes that he can't deny his feelings for the Queen - that's why he answers to SB - 'no, he didn't fall in love just after one night together'.  

When seeing that guy with the rifle - SY reacts immediately protecting the CJ - she controls her body, SB doesn't realize what happened - she says' I'm ok, I was startled by the noise'... 

Anyway I told you before - I have watched this drama so many times - and there are many misinterpreted scenes due to poor quality adaptation when translation was made, so please don't get me wrong, I've tried to state what I understood.

But you won't get accurate translation, that is hard to come by. 

This is to explain more about SY's decision - 

Old-time Koreans believed that becoming an object of rumors was a crime punishable by death. By choosing death, the family was able to prove that the rumor was false and at the same time to restore the family's good standing. Thus, death has been a primary means of communication for Koreans to prove themselves innocent when they are falsely judged and accused [ her conversation with the King before jumping into the lake).

Above all, a Korean would smile over a tragedy, a humiliation, an insult, or an injustice while he weeps inside for sorrow, shame, guilt, and remorse. Thus, within a Korean, two conflicting entities of human nature and emotion co-exist compatibly, simultaneously, and transcendentally: shame and guilt intermingled, sadness and smile coexisting, attachment and detachment interwoven, and self-control and social-control intertwined.

Westerners are likely to make naive judgments about Koreans' verbal and nonverbal language behavior which is really founded upon Korean's self-effacing nature in human relationships. Consequently, the self-defense strategies or the means of expiation of wrong-doing in the Korean culture are different from those of Westerners. A Westerner's interpretation and comprehension of a Korean's language behavior solely in terms of the ostensible verbal and non-verbal evidence would be too risky to account for cultural discrepancies. Cultural discrepancies which are socio-culturally specific are the products of cognitive structures as well as the idiosyncrasies of particular socio-cultural resources shared and valued among ingroups of many generations. The socio-cultural discrepancies are often labelled as eccentricities from the outgroup's standpoint

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, this what happen when the screenwriters used the real life historical figure hmm

credit to the owner

Spoiler

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

It seems the main drama endgame is Cheoljong & So Yong while the spin-off make it like Cheoljong & So Bong as the endgame LOL. Oh screenwriters:expressionless:

credit to the owner

Thank you for this gift Hong Yeon!

Shin Hye Sun look cute holding Kim Jung Hyun head like that LOL

credit of this translation to: 

현진왕후
@aesoonaesoo

Chae Seo Eun ig story : "This video is a gift...many people requested this haha"

credit to the owner

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 5

Thinking about this more... the structure of Mr. Queen is like a Japanese isekai story, where someone from our world travels to another world to save it. Girls' anime like Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi feature a heroine who travels to a fantasy world, falls for one or two guys (and has to choose) and leads her host kingdom to victory over some threat. But in the end, she says her tearful farewells and returns to her own time and family.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Wizard of Oz are older, Western examples. Heck, most US westerns used this "stranger comes to town but can't stay" formula.

This all would have worked better if the writers had set expectations from the beginning about the story they wanted to tell. The genre rules for a romance are different. People expected this story to play by those genre rules. It did until it didn't. (To be fair, Mr. Queen mixes several genres, all the more reason to signal intent.)

I am not... satisfied by the ending, but I am not crushed like some of you. I do feel your pain, though! I invested half a decade in Game of Thrones, only to watch the writers flush it down the drain. It hurts, and leads to understandable rage quitting. :dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cenching said:

I am not hoping for a BL ending as I know how conservative is SK BUT I want a proper closure of why what where when. It feels totally wrong when you scrambled everyone/everything under the sky and put it back as if nothing happened, just because.....I can't believe the production added 4 episodes for this kind of half 4rs3 ending......

Why does it need to be a BL ending? No one said that if we were a woman in this life, then in our previous life we would have also been a woman. BH could have been a woman in the previous life and male in the current life. Clearly BH was into women. So CJ could have been a woman in this life. Just a little closure for my heart would have been nice.

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

34 minutes ago, Raffles said:

I am not... satisfied by the ending, but I am not crushed like some of you. I do feel your pain, though! I invested half a decade in Game of Thrones, only to watch the writers flush it down the drain. It hurts, and leads to understandable rage quitting. :dissapointed_relieved:

Ooph I can feel the frustration with Game of Thrones. This is why I will always watch kdramas. 16 hours of my life. And then I move on. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind So Yong/Cheoljong endgame if they showed us the progress of their relationship.

How much easier it’d be for viewers to root for So Yong/Cheoljong if they made Shin Hye Sun switch roles. So Yong taking control when there are romantic scenes and Bong Hwan and Cheoljong scenes would be purely platonic.

But no, they didn’t show it a single time So Yong was there. It was always Bong Hwan who reacted. Bong Hwan was the one who made Cheoljong who he is now, So Yong wouldn’t be able to do that, all she could do was throw herself in the lake.

And they made it clear again and again that Cheoljong was intrigued by Bong Hwan’s personality. All the traits he said he loved about her were Bong Hwan’s. 

So for me it’s mainly the writers’ failure not to be able to make me connect to So Yong. I didn’t care about her after she came back, all I felt was fury because she didn’t even acknowledge everything Bong Hwan made for her, Cheoljong and the country. In the end all I cared about was Bong Hwan because he’s the one who made all those things happen abs he’s the one whose journey I watched. 

He’s the one Cheoljong fell in love with and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. What he felt for real Kim So Yong was a fleeting infatuation at the sight of a beautiful lady. But Cheoljong came to love So Bong deeply because he came to know all her highs and lows.

People who think Cheoljong loved So Yong and not So Bong, please show me the examples in the show where it was stated or implied. I beg you to prove me wrong, so I can let go of So Bong and Cheoljong.

• Like 19
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, aisling said:

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind So Yong/Cheoljong endgame if they showed us the progress of their relationship.

How much easier it’d be for viewers to root for So Yong/Cheoljong if they made Shin Hye Sun switch roles. So Yong taking control when there are romantic scenes and Bong Hwan and Cheoljong scenes would be purely platonic.

But no, they didn’t show it a single time So Yong was there. It was always Bong Hwan who reacted. Bong Hwan was the one who made Cheoljong who he is now, So Yong wouldn’t be able to do that, all she could do was throw herself in the lake.

And they made it clear again and again that Cheoljong was intrigued by Bong Hwan’s personality. All the traits he said he loved about her were Bong Hwan’s. 

So for me it’s mainly the writers’ failure not to be able to make me connect to So Yong. I didn’t care about her after she came back, all I felt was fury because she didn’t even acknowledge everything Bong Hwan made for her, Cheoljong and the country. In the end all I cared about was Bong Hwan because he’s the one who made all those things happen abs he’s the one whose journey I watched. 

He’s the one Cheoljong fell in love with and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. What he felt for real Kim So Yong was a fleeting infatuation at the sight of a beautiful lady. But Cheoljong came to love So Bong deeply because he came to know all her highs and lows.

People who think Cheoljong loved So Yong and not So Bong, please show me the examples in the show where it was stated or implied. I beg you to prove me wrong, so I can let go of So Bong and Cheoljong.

I beg to differ and repost my explanation here.

I understand... for me perhaps - it's easier to accept this kind of ending bcuz I know more about their culture and I'm familiar with their mentality; that's why - from the very start I couldn't see them SY / BH/ CJ as a possible love tringle or BH falling in love with CJ; the funny part which worked for me was that the guy's spirit was trapped in her body - but could feel all her emotions -/ in the beginning she was so numb that wouldn't resurfaces, but she was there/  -> remember the scene that we commented when the King decided to go after the Queen to kill her - he still had feelings for her - [ the spin offs were elaborated considering the main events of the drama], then after ep 5 - when SB decides to jump into the river [ here again BH is such a selfish bashfhfshf he doesn't care what happens with SY [ she may die drowned, all he wants is to go back; like he didn't care when he unveiled that she tried to kill herself - that alone being such a great dishonor for her - leaving her on shaky ground - with QD and the court thinking or trying to depose her]. BH was driven by SY's feelings - that's why he decides to help CJ - that heart beating too fast when seeing CJ's chest - wasn't his, nope - not his flesh and blood, the beating heart was SY's. She was with him during the first night together, so her heart reacts, her body reacts, it's normal. I like tomboyish SB, but BH belongs to his time, so everything returns to its right place. 

ep 20 - when SB kisses CJ he asks - What is this? 

SB answers: 몰라, 나도 [ me too]  - Which means - I don't know/ I don't have clue why I did that - 나도 - me too - SB is equally surprised; so my point is that SY resurfaces with out any warning and she is convinced now more then never that the King loves her back and wants to be with him during  tough times. After the 1st night the King realizes that he can't deny his feelings for the Queen - that's why he answers to SB - 'no, he didn't fall in love just after one night together'.  

When seeing that guy with the rifle - SY reacts immediately protecting the CJ - she controls her body, SB doesn't realize what happened - she says' I'm ok, I was startled by the noise'... 

Anyway I told you before - I have watched this drama so many times - and there are many misinterpreted scenes due to poor quality adaptation when translation was made, so please don't get me wrong, I've tried to state what I understood and knew better.

But you won't get accurate translation, that is hard to come by. 

And please consider that after BH leaves, the Queen is not surprise to see the King talking to her - she wasn't asleep or didn't know the course of events - that alone proves she was in her body and all that happened was because she wanted so. She felt protected by BH, and let him be, but her love for the King was way too strong. 

This is to explain more about SY's decision - 

Old-time Koreans believed that becoming an object of rumors was a crime punishable by death. By choosing death, the family was able to prove that the rumor was false and at the same time to restore the family's good standing. Thus, death has been a primary means of communication for Koreans to prove themselves innocent when they are falsely judged and accused [ her conversation with the King before jumping into the lake).

Above all, a Korean would smile over a tragedy, a humiliation, an insult, or an injustice while he weeps inside for sorrow, shame, guilt, and remorse. Thus, within a Korean, two conflicting entities of human nature and emotion co-exist compatibly, simultaneously, and transcendentally: shame and guilt intermingled, sadness and smile coexisting, attachment and detachment interwoven, and self-control and social-control intertwined.

Westerners are likely to make naive judgments about Koreans' verbal and nonverbal language behavior which is really founded upon Korean's self-effacing nature in human relationships.  A Westerner's interpretation and comprehension of a Korean's language behavior solely in terms of the ostensible verbal and non-verbal evidence would be too risky to account for cultural discrepancies. Cultural discrepancies which are socio-culturally specific are the products of cognitive structures as well as the idiosyncrasies of particular socio-cultural resources shared and valued among ingroups of many generations. The socio-cultural discrepancies are often labelled as eccentricities from the outgroup's standpoint

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 5

The reason most of us are not satisfied by the ending is because we were invested in SB and not SY. We loved everything about SB/BH. It was like the writers just deserted BH. BH was all alone in the current world in the end. Ofcourse, he wasn't going to jail but that just doesn't cut it. We saw the whole story through his eyes, we fell for his character. We cheered for his love. In the end, he lost his love and his friends.

A writer has the freedom to tell her story. I always respect that.

If we were more invested in SY, we would have been able to appreciate this ending more. Since we all saw the story from SB's eyes, we weren't able to just chuck him to the side.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Sunset90 said:

The reason most of us are not satisfied by the ending is because we were invested in SB and not SY. We loved everything about SB/BH. It was like the writers just deserted BH. BH was all alone in the current world in the end. Ofcourse, he wasn't going to jail but that just doesn't cut it. We saw the whole story through his eyes, we fell for his character. We cheered for his love. In the end, he lost his love and his friends.

A writer has the freedom to tell her story. I always respect that.

If we were more invested in SY, we would have been able to appreciate this ending more. Since we all saw the story from SB's eyes, we weren't able to just chuck him to the side.

Was he in love with someone?

the coolest guy 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1