[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

9 hours ago, Jillia said:

“Mr. Queen” And “Homemade Love Story” Both Soar To Their Highest Ratings Yet

Feb 1, 2021
by E. Cha

Both tvN’s “Mr. Queen” and KBS 2TV’s “Homemade Love Story” have reached new all-time ratings highs!

On January 31, “Mr. Queen” successfully continued its streak of seeing its viewership ratings rise with each new episode. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast of the hit drama scored an average nationwide rating of 14.9 percent and a peak of 16.3 percent, marking a new personal record for the series. “Mr. Queen” also defended its position at first place in its time slot across all channels, including public broadcast networks.

KBS 2TV’s “Homemade Love Story” similarly achieved its highest viewership ratings to date last night, with its latest broadcast scoring average nationwide ratings of 30.3 percent and 33.7 percent for its two parts.

Meanwhile, TV Chosun’s “Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce)” saw a modest decline in viewership for its fourth episode, which scored an average nationwide rating of 7.6 percent.

Congratulations to the cast and crew of both “Mr. Queen” and “Homemade Love Story”!

This is amazing :).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raffles said:

Have you guys noticed that there are no mother-child relationships in this show? The moms are all either dead or have survived their sons. Is this normal for this genre?

as of now, I think it's a coincidence but I don't think it's normal for a fusion sageuk - although I'm not able to come up with any counter examples :joy:

• Like 2

Wow, I like the reference!

This make me feel my watching experience become more enjoyable:wub:

credit to the owner

Oh, how time flies!:D

As if it just yesterday I feel so excited reading the news that Shin Hye Sun and Kim Jung Hyun will acting together in a historical drama which is an adaptation from the silly funny Chinese historical drama, Go Princess Go LOL

After the casting news and the drama's plot are out, some people commented that they worried there will no romance since Bong Hwan is a male chef in modern time but, hey, they had kiss scene in episode 8/9, bed scene in 14/15 and pregnancy announcement in episode 16:lol:

credit to the owner

Even if the written plot of this drama is kinda confusing to some people, I challenge any couple in Korean historical romance drama to top our King and Queen as the most cray cray royal couple in Korean historical romance drama AHAHAH:P

I don't care, I want a happy ending for them!

credit to the owner

3 hours ago, Phillip Lundgren said:

Regarding Cheoljong's reaction, I do think that he liked Hwa Jin. No matter how I dislike Hwa Jin, I have to say that she is beautiful and also behaves decently. Jo Deabi also said that when she first met Hwa Jin. We all know that there is a gap between affection and love. Hwa Jin unfortunately does not have a chance to go through misunderstandings and challenges with Cheoljong like So Bong did, thus the affection is superficial. In my perspective, Cheoljong is not purely a man of love. He has misisons to fulfill. Hence his distance for her is quite understandable, as eliminating the corruption is on top of his priority. I don't have an explanation for him not unboxing Hwa Jin for that long though.  

Cheoljong is kind and objective to distinguish his affection Hwa Jin from her lies, yet I wonder how he treats her after knowing she betrayed him with the ledger. 

I also think when they met again when they grow up, Cheoljong thought Hwa Jin is a beautiful lady and feel attracted to her. At first, I also hope he will exiled or punish her just after the truth about past was exposed but the fact that he admitted about what he feel before to her is consistent with his character development.

Wasn't the reason we as audiences fell in love with Cheol Jong's character and rooting for him to has happy ending with his beloved queen because how he character develops?

Although the Kim's clan is his enemy and he feel suspicious with So Bong at first, he willing to acknowledge his mistakes and reflect about his prejudice towards her after they spending time together. He also willing to try to understand her side of story/opinion and try to change to be a better husband.

Remember Hwa Jin entered the palace because of him and on the first day after she entered he promised to protect her. He also promised to  but now he neglect her because he fall in love with So Bong. And since she is his concubine she doesn't has any choice except to stay with him. 

It is actually sad to be a woman in those times because whether you are a queen or a concubine you depend on the king's favor towards you. If your husband only love you and has you, it is more happier than king's women in the palace even both of you and your husband are only a commoner.

2 hours ago, aisling said:

“A king never runs.”

But he always runs whenever his queen is concerned 

Why did I have to make this video and make myself cry again?

Thank you for the video:joy:

So in this drama we have the collections of:

1)Royal couple mentioned the word "no touch"

2)Cheoljong's Jungjeon 

3)Cheoljong's Oh ho and silly laugh

4)So Bong's calling Cheoljong's nickname

5)Cheoljong telling So Bong "don't run"

6)Cheoljong running scene whenever his "Oh no, My Queen!" alert alarm was activated

7)"How it's started" & "How it's going" scenes like:

In episode 1 So Bong want to ride the palanquin with Cheoljong but he rejected.

In episode 10 they finally ride the palanquin together

Are there more?:lol:

• Like 11
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, cenching said:

I want a collection of CheolJong’s whipped lover boy puppy expression wherever SB is around...:gangnamstyle:

Am I unhealthy invested in this drama if I know the exact moment Cheoljong looked at So Bong warmly for the first time?  Before this moment it was always suspicion, disbelief, fake fondness, despise, or curiosity at best.

spacer.png

Why is Kim Jung Hyun so good at those subtle expressions? The first time he looked at So Bong a little fondly, you could tell it wasn’t love yet, but she stirred something in him. It’s different from the way he looks at her now that he’s deeply in love. It’s hard to explain but there’s definitely a different feeling. 

I have to admit when I watched this scene back then it was also the first time I found Kim Jung Hyun breathtakingly gorgeous.

• Like 13
  • Love 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 2

15 hours ago, kara_mella said:

@Phoenix Klaw where did you read that? The king died at the age of 32 and he was survived by his wife, the queen. They did have a baby, a girl, but she died around 6 months if I m not wrong. Hence no heirs for the king... I'm ok with anything that will differ, but I very much doubt it cuz I read some historical sources and checked some other Korean posts.

Now you get why I am so heartbroken...:crymeme:

@kara_mella  Didn't read it anywhere. Purely my own speculation/ wishful thinking. Too difficult to reconcile with history, which as you point out, was very sad. In fact, I read that in history, it was the Queen Dowager who "won" in the hand, and chose and manipulated the next king.

My bad. In Korean history, his heir was King of Korean Empire, not his biological son. 

• Like 1

According to the text  preview , who may it be ... who's spreading this rumor ?  I think and this is purely my  speculation , but it may be prince yeongpyeong  ... HJ redeemed herself  for me in the latest episode ... not to be forgiven but to provide character development ... she stated that she was going to look for a way to be herself , she admitted her wrong doings and told the king that  it was her fault ; and that she she was going to take care of the most important person ..herself ... which speaks volumes about her character and the way she was always been place to be SB shadow... she is ready to step into the light and assume and resume the decisions that come with accepting such realization, she could have been scheming something when she saw SB and the king together in his room, but she decided to come to terms with reality and to decide what was best for her ( at least until now, which was to come clean to the king ). I celebrate her on that... I hope she stops here and becomes a better person ... it seems to me that is how the writer is taking her character...however prince YP on the other hand, he was a liked character that somehow is getting darker and darker as we move on in the plot .... his dislike of SB is apparent ... he hates her and cannot overcome his prejudice... on top of that i'm afraid he may do  something to SB in the name of love... we all  know how blind in love he is with HJ ... even without her asking him, he'll probably do something to SB...on the account that he wants to see HJ happy ...and as she solemnly stated,  the king  was her dream ... I don't think  its BI , he cares to much about SB to risk her life ( now that we know the GQD is asking for her head) he may, along with the king, do something  to prove her innocence, or to save her. Plus PY and detective hong were the only ones whom knew that our royal couple did not consummate their marriage on their wedding night ....I have a feeling that cheoljong even knows this , but is pretending not to know( his remarks on the last episode to his brother ) he may know more that he leads on... after all ...YP may just want to defame the queen or to put doubt into the king about her loyalty ( after all she did say she would betray him ) but he has promised her not to misunderstand  her anymore ; so i'm hopeful that if anything happens that may seem doubtful ( and I'm not talking about the pregnancy because ...on that particular matter ... i believed he knows best who the father might be) but on future situations... BI taking that piece of paper from SB   book might come into play ...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, aisling said:

Am I the only one who was bothered by what Cheoljong said? Did he truly love Hwa Jin before, or did he say that for her benefit?

Even before he fell for So Bong he never behaved like someone who was really in love, it always felt more like the gratitude to me. If he truly loved Hwa Jin, how did he become so distant from her in span of few weeks? He stopped wanting to touch her or even talked to her. That couldn’t have been true love...

23 hours ago, cenching said:

I think CheolJong did love HJ back then. HJ is a gorgeous and ideal woman of Joseon. The illusion that she saved him strengthen the attraction. While now CheolJong simply fell out of love, of course because of SB.

What happened to CheolJong’s changes of heart maybe deemed unacceptable for modern time. He’s practically cheating but I can’t really judge CheolJong by modern standards. The same with so called consent. Consent and fidelity can’t co existing with Harem.

13 hours ago, Mila said:

I think Cheoljong really believed that he loved Hwa Jin. Not even he realized that, in reality, what he felt for her was just gratitude that she supposedly saved him from the well.

Cheoljong is a very responsible person. He had made promises of love to her. He also married her and now she is stuck with him for the rest of her life. So, even though he doesn't love her as he loves Soyong, he still has responsibilities to her and tried to keep their relationship on good terms.

One of the lingering questions I've had since the start is exactly to what extent is the relationship between HJ and CJ. How intense was their relationship?  I was even confused as to when they met again since he was away in exile and only came back to the capital when the Kims needed a puppet king.

I'm glad I finally got my answer.  He met her again 2 yrs ago. So he's had time to get to know her.

Her lie might have led to him looking for her and made her important to him but I think he did grow to love her in those two yrs.

He was ready to sacrifice himself to save her in the early episodes (though the queen ended up saving them both) but that scene clearly showed how important she was to him.

But HJ's insecurities and suspicions led her on a dark path.  She could have used the opportunity to mend bridges with the queen and help CJ that way. They could have teamed up to help him with his cause instead of fraternizing with his enemies. 

Maybe CJ neglected her a bit so he was right in owning a bit of the blame, (too much IMO) bec he did make promises to her, spoken or implied bec a relationship of 2 yrs is not nothing.

He did fall for the queen fast and things changed for HJ too abruptly after he married SY.

What promises did he make to HJ? Did he promise fidelity? that he would only love her? But there was that scene where she kinda gave him permission to have feelings for the queen...(made me cringe at the time) Can't really fault him and he's been honest to her, I think.

But this is Joseon and the king having multiple wives is the norm. She would have had to share him anyway, even if it wasn't SY.  It is expected.  But with feelings involved, it gets complicated.

If you look at it from her POV, the queen stole her man and he doesn't love HJ the same way anymore.  I can understand the anger, insecurity and jealousy. But she crossed the line when she gave up the ledger, pointing the arrow, telling KJG abt the queen helping with the banquet.  She's pretty good at playing the deadly games in the harem.  So I still find it hard to like her. Even as she confessed her wrong doings, the way she worded things (I can't recall details, need to watch again) was a bit irritating.

I wish they added more scenes to show how she came to the decision to confess her actions to CJ. That would have given us more of a window to her character.

I wonder how BH (being from the 21st century) will look at the concubines now that he's caught feelings for CJ.  Will he become possessive and jealous esp if CJ has to consummate with them? Or he won't care?

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

21 minutes ago, cdcotr said:

One of the lingering questions I've had since the start is exactly to what extent is the relationship between HJ and CJ. How intense was their relationship?  I was even confused as to when they met again since he was away in exile and only came back to the capital when the Kims needed a puppet king.

I'm glad I finally got my answer.  He met her again 2 yrs ago. So he's had time to get to know her.

Her lie might have led to him looking for her and made her important to him but I think he did grow to love her in those two yrs.

He was ready to sacrifice himself to save her in the early episodes (though the queen ended up saving them both) but that scene clearly showed how important she was to him.

But HJ's insecurities and suspicions led her on a dark path.  She could have used the opportunity to mend bridges with the queen and help CJ that way. They could have teamed up to help him with his cause instead of fraternizing with his enemies. 

Maybe CJ neglected her a bit so he was right in owning a bit of the blame, (too much IMO) bec he did make promises to her, spoken or implied bec a relationship of 2 yrs is not nothing.

He did fall for the queen fast and things changed for HJ too abruptly after he married SY.

What promises did he make to HJ? Did he promise fidelity? that he would only love her? But there was that scene where she kinda gave him permission to have feelings for the queen...(made me cringe at the time) Can't really fault him and he's been honest to her, I think.

But this is Joseon and the king having multiple wives is the norm. She would have had to share him anyway, even if it wasn't SY.  It is expected.  But with feelings involved, it gets complicated.

If you look at it from her POV, the queen stole her man and he doesn't love HJ the same way anymore.  I can understand the anger, insecurity and jealousy. But she crossed the line when she gave up the ledger, pointing the arrow, telling KJG abt the queen helping with the banquet.  She's pretty good at playing the deadly games in the harem.  So I still find it hard to like her. Even as she confessed her wrong doings, the way she worded things (I can't recall details, need to watch again) was a bit irritating.

I wish they added more scenes to show how she came to the decision to confess her actions to CJ. That would have given us more of a window to her character.

I wonder how BH (being from the 21st century) will look at the concubines now that he's caught feelings for CJ.  Will he become possessive and jealous esp if CJ has to consummate with them? Or he won't care?

The main problem with HJ is her hates toward SY is way deeper than her loves for CJ and she has an underlying insecurity, her lies that she was the one in the well.  Those feelings rooted deep in her heart and mind and uprooted whatever good qualities and feelings that she has.

CJ loved her, no doubt, hands down. I would say they had an intense relationship because CJ shared all of his dreams with her and she is willing to enters The Palace as a concubine despite her family disapproval in order to helps CJ. He fell out of love and neglected HJ because his heart and mind are occupied by SB (isn't she a handful?), as simple as that. He finds SB to be fascinating in her devil may cares attitude. She isn't clingy or nagging at him and even seems to understand him very well (Well, as man to man).  I am sure CJ promised many things to HJ but not fidelity. She is The Concubine in the first place. I remember that CJ did apologised to her that he was not able to make her His Queen and she was okay with that. But the moment SB comes into pictures, HJ throws all of her logic out of the windows.

I won't say The Queen stole her man because this is Harem and HJ is a concubine and she knew it. Her beef is SY, SY stole her man. Her pride can't let it happens and she is willing to crosses whatever lines to punishes SY even in the price of CJ's dreams.

CJ does facing the consequences of his messy love life. He neglected HJ and she betrayed him. His prejudiced against SY and SB made sure that he paid in full.

• Like 8

I think at HJ all this while had this insecure jealousy of SY.

She knew the King (CJ) loved her more and therefore she was willing to enter the palace as a concubine because she would definitely have more sway over CJ than the Queen (SY). 

I still remember the hurt on SY's face when she implored CJ to love her. And his reply 'Is that an order' shows that he would have done his duty to beget a heir (if he has too) but he would have spent more time with his royal consort HJ. 

I also did not really like how HJ revealed the truth about the book to CJ. 

Yes, she came clean only to realise that he already knew but he was willing to ignore that. The ledger was what broke him. And when she added her only dream was him (which implies she never shared the same dream as CJ - very different from So Bong who is 'all-in' in helping this man who is bound to lose - fate wise)

I am not sure if she really loved CJ or saw him as someone who SY liked (and helped) as a child and now schemes to take CJ's love. HJ is beautiful and I am sure CJ would have fallen for her but I feel that if HJ had remained the person who could listen to CJ and shared his dreams, knowing that he had to marry SY because of the clan, she would have remained in his heart. 

The moment her jealousy overtook her and she started playing the pitiful victim, she had become a monster. [And I love what So Bong said to her during Round 3]

The source of the rumours? That the King didn't spend the nights with his Queen which therefore implies that the baby might not be his - I suspect it is either the Queen Dowager or the Grand Queen Dowager. They do not want CJ to have an heir and they also want to discredit the Queen SB/SY. 

• Like 6

@Ni Wen God that makes sense ...i don't know why i din't think of that ...I was thinking that maybe CJ was part of the rebellion. he is a king but he knows the common people and the streets ...so I was hoping these uprising groups would be part of his secret plan than no one knows ... or that they would join him later ...I was  sort of blaming prince YP , maybe he told the QD that they didn't  spend the night together or something ...i mean i still think that he might do something very bad to SB for HJ ...i will be very disappointed if it turn out to be BI but you never know....is it confirm that it was HJ ?...i was rooting for her character development ...oh well... 

• Like 2

i think cheoljong's character and charm are grounded in, first and foremost, his responsibility to his people and like it or not, romance was never in the front seat in his agenda (at least in the beginning). it is a fact that he was attracted to hwajin in the beginning as her character is supposed to be this beautiful girl that any guy would fall for. cheoljong never even bothered with soyong due to his initial stereotype that as long as you're a kim, you're the bad guys.

i feel destiny is a big theme with this drama. the king will not be able to fight his destiny to eventually fall in love with the queen and she (sobong/soyong) is really his antifan (guardian angel). we saw the beginning starts with an "error" - king x hwajin, plot develops in such a way to show the corrections that supposed to take place and the lake is kind of like this magical portal or catalyst to facilitate king x soyong as the match made in heaven. to me, when the king saved sobong from the lake, it was the turning point of things starting to go back to its rightful place. no matter how hwajin tries to fight it, king is never meant to be hers. now that things are rolling in the right direction, i think the story can really begin to see how the king x queen fight and hopefully prevail against their enemies.

the king owns the queen big time. she saved him when he was a kid. saved him and his lover, go along with his kiss act to cover his snooping activity, saved him from the well second time, defended him in public, saved his banquet and even become his partner in crime in his life mission. now he even impregnated her. he shunned her in the beginning and even tried to kill her and her father. from this point of view, i can see why byeong-in is angry with the king. intended or not, sobong made many sacrifices for the king and his dreams. i don't feel the king has match up so far because his first "love" is his bigger dream for joseon. of course things will change now since he's a father and having corrected how he views the queen. looks like it's going into the superhero in love conundrum how he's going to balance his bigger goal vs protecting his loved ones. for me, the only way he can make up to the queen is to be powerful enough and go on to live a long life to make queen happy and safe. if he give up his life for the queen/child and achieve nothing while queen/child lives on in misery, it will not do justice to everything that has happened.

on hindsight, I'm angry at the ep 9 kiss scene. the kiss scene is hot, no doubt about it. but when you really think about it, he was just kissing sobong to cover his tracks when he haven't really sort out how he feels about her and even thinks that she likes him. he has no qualms about using her feelings for him to further his agenda. but perhaps the kiss is needed to ignite the spark for him. and then after she saved him from the well, i didn't even see him thanking her other than his first concern that sobong keeps his secret. but i guess sobong is there to facilitate his character growth to be more humane.

on a side note, king's recognition that the queen is the rightful owner of the dongmongseonseup was rather uneventful but i feel touched at SHS's laugh at the end saying "good question." it really felt like two old friends meeting after a long time and it looks like bonghwan's sincere and warm expression.

48 minutes ago, cenching said:

But the book is in CJ's possession all this time.....HJ didn't return it recently....

i don't exactly remember but didn't HJ mentioned something about keeping it cleaner or something if she knew how precious it is to CJ but i also don't recall how the book return from HJ to CJ.

also thought it weird that BI can just enter and retrieve the book from the queen's quarters and he looks like he knows what he's doing when he leaf the pages and rip out the page for investigation?

• Like 6

Yes, even Bong Hwan himself would never thought about this:D

credit to the owner

Should Cheol Jong learn from Dong Gu since he become a father now?

Spoiler

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

credit to the owner

Jealous Cheol Jong is cute haha

Btw, Kim Hwan is the usual dimwit character in Korean historical drama that doesn't know So Bong is a woman when she wearing the man's outfit and get easily tricked by So Bong that Cheol Jong is not the king of Joseon but her friend name Jong Cheol LOOL

credit to the owner

This metaphor from Lydia1 is totally perfect for Kim Jung Hyun and Shin Hye Sun great acting skill together as couple in Mr Queen:love:

He can finish any sentence she starts. 

Or you cannot tell where he finished and when she started because of the seamless-ness of their acting.

credit to the owner

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 4