[Drama 2020/2021] Queen Cheorin/Mr. Queen, 철인왕후

larus

4 hours ago, skinnyjeans said:

Yes, you're right.

I think I watched his interview/old IG story some days ago when he said that his MBTI personality type is INFP. Well, knowing that he's so perfectionist and serious playing his role in films, It does really fit him. 

wow KJH's MBTI's INFP? that' very very rare for guys. coupled with his wonderful physique, he just became my dream guy :love:

apart from swooning over SHS x KJH moments, SHS cuteness, can't help but also gush over KJH broad shoulders. he looked gorgeous in many of the attires but my favorite is when he's wearing white like this one and when he's in the bath tub with the queen :heart:

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 1/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, Crystal Kim said:

I haven't watched a sageuk in a while (Kingdom was prob the most recent one), but I always found it interesting that while European royals had mistresses and illegitimate children, it was usually frowned upon. However, in Joseon, kings be having concubines and multiple children like nobody's business lmao AND it was encouraged

In Asian historical dramas especially involving royalty, concubine is common LOL

I'm quite interested with concubine thing after watching Chinese and Korean historical dramas.

If anyone interested, you can read here:

credit to the owner

Since Mr Queen is a historical romcom, our current Queen So Bong here is unbothered and her scenes are mainly funny but if this is a serious then her part will be like the past Kim So Yong:tears:

Life as a Joseon Queen: An Introduction

https://thetalkingcupboard.com/portfolio/life-as-a-joseon-queen-an-introduction/

Life as a Joseon Queen: Part 1

https://thetalkingcupboard.com/portfolio/life-as-a-joseon-queen-part-1/

Life as a Joseon Queen: Part 2

https://thetalkingcupboard.com/portfolio/life-as-a-joseon-queen-part-2/

Life as a Joseon Queen: Part 2.5

Queen Wongyeong's life after become queen until she died was so pitiful especially since she given great contribution for her husband, King Teajong, to becomes king.

And then the wife of King Sejong who is the third son of Queen Wongyeong and King Teajong, Queen Soheon's family members also suffered. But Queen Soheon still supported her husband until the end:(

credit to the owner

King without any concubine in Joseon dynasty?

I found one:

King Hyeonjong, the 18th King of the Joseon dynasty.

His wife was Queen Myeongseong.

Spoiler

Queen Myeongseong was a wise and intelligent figure, but her fierce personality was said to be the reason why her husband did not have any concubine throughout his lifetime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyeonjong_of_Joseon

Well, when mentioned about concubines, automatically it remind me of the emperor's concubine in Chinese historical dramas and their crazy story LOL

But there was a Chinese emperor without any concubine:

Emperor Hongzhi, the 10th Emperor of the Ming dynasty.

His wife was Empress Xiaochengjing.

credit to the owner

The reason why he didn't take any concubine?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/chinas-only-monogamous-emperor-swore-off-concubines-after-one-murdered-his-mom?utm_content=bufferd51e5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Like 1
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

So Bong carried Cheol Jong out of the well on her first day of her period. I can't relate:wacko:

Spoiler

credit to the owner

Imagine the pain:

credit to the owner

This is totally them:lol:

credit to the owner

I like this interpretation of this song:

credit to the owner

Just our king being cute

credit to the owner

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I am wondering how they will end this, and also how I want them to end this.

According to Wikipedia, the real King Cheoljong died in his thirties and was survived by Queen Cheorin, and there was a fight about his successor. I would like it that in the show, they explain that Cheoljong actually disappeared and went with So Yong to modern day Korea. So they made up a story that he died to explain his disappearance. That way, he gets to escape his nightmare life.

But I am conflicted - do I want him to be with So Yong or So Yong possessed by Jang Bong Hwan? I like So Yong but I would also like Jang Bong Hwan to live and have his revenge on the baddies. So will the show have to choose between the two, and destroy one. Couldn't we have So Yong and Cheoljong both go to modern day Korea, but also have So Yong separated from JBH's soul? With the way So Yong is developing, we are seeing that perhaps the real So Yong is not that different from JBH, just less brave and less able to break out of the conventional thinking.

• Like 6

Dropping in to say hello as I am waiting to see this drama this weekend we got these old clips released.

I am glad I marathoned this drama last week but one DOWNSIDE is the weekly wait. UGGGGHH.

Spoiler

Love Making Videos if posted before sorry!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phoenix Klaw said:

I am wondering how they will end this, and also how I want them to end this.

According to Wikipedia, the real King Cheoljong died in his thirties and was survived by Queen Cheorin, and there was a fight about his successor. I would like it that in the show, they explain that Cheoljong actually disappeared and went with So Yong to modern day Korea. So they made up a story that he died to explain his disappearance. That way, he gets to escape his nightmare life.

But I am conflicted - do I want him to be with So Yong or So Yong possessed by Jang Bong Hwan? I like So Yong but I would also like Jang Bong Hwan to live and have his revenge on the baddies. So will the show have to choose between the two, and destroy one. Couldn't we have So Yong and Cheoljong both go to modern day Korea, but also have So Yong separated from JBH's soul? With the way So Yong is developing, we are seeing that perhaps the real So Yong is not that different from JBH, just less brave and less able to break out of the conventional thinking.

I think one of the reasons why Mr Queen is so popular is because we still don’t know how it ends. Because Go Princess Go had multiple endings we don’t know if Mr Queen will choose one of them or if it’s going to create its own unique ending.

If it wasn’t Korean drama, it’d say it’s pretty clear Cheoljong and Bong Hwan are the endgame. This is what the writer has been showing us so far. Based on a narrative perspective the writer has chosen, the main character is Jang Bong Hwan, not Kim So Yong. We’ve been watching his story while Kim So Yong is a narrative tool to progress/develop his journey. As a viewer I’m invested in Jang Bong Hwan because that’s what the writer chose to show me. As a viewer I see Cheoljong falling for Bong Hwan’s personality, whereas So Yong’s memories and feelings are the way for Bong Hwan to question his identity/attraction towards Cheoljong. This is a logical conclusion.

But because people are conservative in Korea, I really don’t know where the story’s going. People say So Yong needs to come back to her body and live happily ever after with Cheoljong while retaining some of Bong Hwan’s quirks which sounds like a half-baked conclusion to me. Let’s say Bong Hwan falls in love with Cheoljong for real. Not because the body he inhibits tells him so, but because he truly feels love, something he hasn’t experienced despite dating plenty of women. Should Bong Hwan just step down in the end to let So Yong take it all?

That’s why I think the best solution would be to make Bong Hwan the reincarnation of So Yong. That way people wouldn’t feel it’s unfair to either BH or SY. And that way more conservative viewers wouldn’t be offended by the idea that a man could love another man.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

One scenario: They die either as they do in history or in a new dramatic fashion. This gives us the tragic, doomed lovers ending. 

Bong Hwan wakes up in the present to find himself recovered, sadder but wiser. He deals with Han and in the process, meets a woman with some very familiar habits and mannerisms... This provides the promise of a happy, romantic ending!

This of course assumes the show can get one or more full episodes with Choi Jin Hyuk.

Speaking of Netflix, I would not be surprised to see a Western company option the rights to this story and set it in Europe, given its success.

If they wanted to keep the stakes high (and had a big budget), they might place a modern-day Londoner in the body of Margaret of Anjou just ahead of the war between the great English houses Lancaster and York (Cersei Lannister from “Game of Thrones” was largely based on Margaret). Per early historian Edward Hall, “this woman excelled all other, as well in beauty and favour, as in wit and policy, and was of stomach and courage, more like to a man, than a woman.” Her husband Henry was more interested in religion and learning than in military matters and his actions had been controlled by magnates who were effectively regents since he was little…  Sounds familiar!

If they wanted a gentler comedy of manners, they could set the story in Regency England. Like, say, Bridgerton.

Set it France and you have a ton of options. You think Queen Sun Won is bad, imagine having Catherine de' Medici breathing down your neck!

Edited by Raffles
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 2

I was rewatching Mr Queen and I totally forgot this scene from episode 1. Court ladies swooning over the king. 

6yH6PXj.jpg

So I compiled my favourite shots of our king. Everyone has their own favourite moments but here are mine. I mean, Kim Jung Hyun doesn’t have any scenes where he looks bad but these moments stood out to me because of a particular angle, his subtle smile, or his intense eyes. I can’t be the only one who finds him more and more attractive with each episode, right?

yVhjM5s.jpg

Lb0lO9n.jpg

Thank goodness, his acting skill is on par with his handsome face and Greek god physique.

• Like 8
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

On 1/12/2021 at 2:47 AM, Iceblue said:

I am watching kdramas for almost 10 years and always was a silent soompi reader. But this drama made me sign up. As long as it makes me smile who cares what others think :) since i am here now, i want to write some. 

I think  the best ending is so yong and bong hwan having the same soul. Then so yong can have both memory of past and future life.  that means the future bong hwan can wake up and keep on his life. 

If it is not, then i prefer the ending game as so yong and the king. Why? 

Because bong hwan is a straight guy. Forcing him to like the king is same thing as forcing a gay guy to like opposite sex because he is in a man’s body. 

The show try to show us the feelings so bong has belongs to so yong. When they kissed it was so yong. They made it clear when she opened her eyes. Thats why he slapped her. 

And we are all hating hwa jin because she is a fake so yong. What about bong hwan? When the king learn the truth of past, he will be a fake so young, too.  He is not the one who saved the king. I do not want so yong being disappear, She deserves to be remembered by the ones she loved. 

Then, Bong hwan should go back to his life and take his revenge, fall in love and  have his happy ending. 

I agree it is a little unfair for the king. But, If the king meet with a guy who has same personality, he would not fall in love. He fall in love with both. And i feel like so yong had a very similar personality to bong hwan. Because even the ones closest to her do not think she behaves very strange makes me think she was strange from the beginning :)

On 1/12/2021 at 10:23 AM, shiqin3381 said:

Hi Chingu,

I just did some history backgroud of Queen Cheorin.

We will not get royal baby so soon...(around 7 year later royal baby was born)

History background of Queen Cheorin:

She was the daughter of Kim Mun-geun (Hangul: 김문근, Hanja: 金汶根) and his second wife, Lady Heung-yang of the Yeoheung Min clan (Hangul: 흥양부부인 여흥 민씨, Hanja: 興陽府夫人 驪興 閔氏). As part of the Andong Kim clan's manipulation of King Cheoljong, she married Cheoljong in 1851.

Son

• Prince Royal Yi Yung-jun (원자 융준, 元子 隆俊) (22 November 1858 - 25 May 1859)

I wonder if the drama will follow loosely on Korean actual history or they will follow the Chinese drama version.

Not that I want to compare, but if they were to follow the C-drama, I believe it will still be BH in SY’s body in the end. (Don’t want to spoil it so just leave it at that)

Initially, I was thinking that if they do not follow actual Korean history (as in this is all just fake events), perhaps SoBong will save the King from death or something and then sacrifice his life as SY and go back to his own body. SY wakes back up in her own body. Then they both each meet their soulmate in their own lives as themselves, which for BH is just another version of Cheoljong.

Cos in actual Korean history, I think Cheoljong dies first in 1864. 

So I feel like personally, they may not follow the actual Korean history. They did say that any events, families or etc is purely fictional at the start of the intro, so they can take some creative liberties...

I just hope they do SoBong and Cheoljong justice.

• Like 4

hope sobong and king join forces :sparklyeyes:

my fantasy: and then king super touched by sobong's cooking and go "to hell with saving the world!", grab sobong and then hot night ~the end

i just saw this also https://www.soompi.com/article/1448795wpp/shin-hye-sun-shakes-up-royal-cuisine-by-reinventing-a-modern-dish-on-mr-queen

Spoiler

Shin Hye Sun Shakes Up Royal Cuisine By Hilariously “Inventing” A Modern Dish On “Mr. Queen”

Jan 15, 2021
by E. Cha

Shin Hye Sun will be shaking up the palace kitchens on the next episode of tvN’s “Mr. Queen”!

Spoilers

Previously on “Mr. Queen,” Kim So Yong (played by Shin Hye Sun) and King Cheoljong (played by Kim Jung Hyun) started to feel drawn to one another, raising the question of how their evolving relationship will change the power dynamics within the palace.

On January 15, the hit drama released a fun sneak peek of its upcoming episode, in which Kim So Yong will breathe fresh air into Joseon royal cuisine by hilariously “inventing” a dish that no one there has ever heard of: tornado potatoes, a popular Korean street food from modern day.

After being ordered by Queen Sunwon (played by Bae Jong Ok) to teach royal chef Man Bok (played by Kim In Kwon) her cooking skills, Kim So Yong begins to feel nervous that she may soon no longer be “needed” around the palace. In an attempt to survive, Kim So Yong will attempt to use her K-beauty know-how to prove her value—but she eventually winds up being forced to return to the kitchen to bring out the big guns by playing her “tornado potatoes card.”

Shin-Hye-Sun-21.jpgShin-Hye-Sun-31.jpgKim-In-Kwon.jpgMr.-Queen4.jpg

To find out why Kim So Yong must abandon her foray into K-beauty and turn to tornado potatoes as a last resort, viewers will need to tune in to the next episode of “Mr. Queen” on January 16.

The producers of “Mr. Queen” teased, “The changes in Cheoljong and Kim So Yong, who is currently in fierce denial of her growing feelings, will also shake up the power dynamics within the palace. Please look forward to the drama’s second act, which will become even more electrifying through heart-fluttering transformations.”

Edited by kwayteow_mama
just saw something
  • Like 5
  • Blob 1

I think when trouble happened in kitchen, the queen would go to handle it. And The King would feel ease because he knew that the queen could solve it. 

But I also had the feeling the reason that the queen couldn't enter the kitchen because the king worried that something happened again if the Queen stayed in kitchen.

But I really wanted the king to taste the queen's food. Omo I wanna him to be addicted to soul of The Queen's food like The Great Queen Dowager did...

• Like 6

ErvLdzcXcAMI5Z6?format=jpg&name=small

Shin Hye Sun Shakes Up Royal Cuisine By Hilariously “Inventing” A Modern Dish On “Mr. Queen”

Spoilers

Previously on “Mr. Queen,” Kim So Yong (played by Shin Hye Sun) and King Cheoljong (played by Kim Jung Hyun) started to feel drawn to one another, raising the question of how their evolving relationship will change the power dynamics within the palace.

On January 15, the hit drama released a fun sneak peek of its upcoming episode, in which Kim So Yong will breathe fresh air into Joseon royal cuisine by hilariously “inventing” a dish that no one there has ever heard of: tornado potatoes, a popular Korean street food from modern day.

After being ordered by Queen Sunwon (played by Bae Jong Ok) to teach royal chef Man Bok (played by Kim In Kwon) her cooking skills, Kim So Yong begins to feel nervous that she may soon no longer be “needed” around the palace. In an attempt to survive, Kim So Yong will attempt to use her K-beauty know-how to prove her value—but she eventually winds up being forced to return to the kitchen to bring out the big guns by playing her “tornado potatoes card.”

Shin-Hye-Sun-21.jpg

To find out why Kim So Yong must abandon her foray into K-beauty and turn to tornado potatoes as a last resort, viewers will need to tune in to the next episode of “Mr. Queen” on January 16.

The producers of “Mr. Queen” teased, “The changes in Cheoljong and Kim So Yong, who is currently in fierce denial of her growing feelings, will also shake up the power dynamics within the palace. Please look forward to the drama’s second act, which will become even more electrifying through heart-fluttering transformations.”

This will be fun!

Credit to Soompi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

Hye Sun is really really good actress.  I laughed so hard when “he” slapped “her” for kissing the king.  

I don’t put too much thought into history “real” king ending.  just remembering the series says it’s fictional so the ending is an open book.

• Like 2

It looks like someone is purposely destroying ingredients for the upcoming celebrations. Poor Cheoljong, it was the one decision he made on his own and it looks like he’s going through hell because of it. 

It’s just my wishful thinking but wouldn’t it be cool if So Bong saved the day? If So Bong came up with another idea how to proceed with the festival even if someone is trying to sabotage it? Imagine how proud So Bong woul feel LOL. She’d be the cool one again. 

There are three things I’m particularly looking forward to:

1) Cheoljong finally tasting So Bong’s cooking. I just can’t wait!

2) Cheoljong calling So Bong by her name,

not just a title. He always calls her by her formal queen title. Imagine him calling her by her name softly.

3) So Bong finally fighting back against Hwa Jin. So Bong has let Hwa Jin grow arrogant. I hope after HJ points an arrow at her, So Bong will wake up and finally get back at HJ! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, skinnyjeans said:

Yes, you're right.

I think I watched his interview/old IG story some days ago when he said that his MBTI personality type is INFP. Well, knowing that he's so perfectionist and serious playing his role in films, It does really fit him. 

I think the MBTI test i linked were for their characters - eg sobong is estp. I didn't know KJH is infp too though!!

6 hours ago, aisling said:

I can’t be the only one who finds him more and more attractive with each episode, right?

guilty as charged... i was so sure that wouldn't happen since i always end up fangirling over shs and shs only in her dramas but kjh came out of nowhere and hit me like a truck... 

praying for a shs and kjh photoshoot please D:

blu-ray demand survey - the more ppl indicating interest the higher the chance of them making it!:)

cheoljong eagerly waiting for saturday too... (KJH's insta post) i have a feeling he forgot the password to the iron bell acc or sth lel

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

spacer.png

this. queen latest sidekicks/followers?

king: prince yeongpyeong and director hong

queen: hongyeon, court lady choi, manbok, royal physician

is our queen charismatic or what? :lol:

our queen look so adorable in the kitchen outfit!! :love:

Edited by kwayteow_mama
need to gush over queen in kitchen outfit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1