Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

Han Hyo Joo unnie IG story update on 6 April 2021

More stories on 7 April 2021

Spoiler

And today's stories from Hyo Joo on 9 April 2021

Thanks to @adeleyam on her post of HJ in yellow spring dress.  Want to show the bottom Allure photoshoot, credit to joovely twit account

Spoiler

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Reprise of Yi Soo (Beauty Inside) in Dramaworld 2 :) 

Awww, our Hyo Joo ssi is so pretty. 

And then when the camera isn't rolling, she's her cheery and funny self. 

In case this isn't working, here are the links:

https://twitter.com/chasca85/status/1383352607167565825

https://twitter.com/banham_o/status/1383339362062983171

(Hm, the Twitter posts aren't embedding. Hopefully it's just because Twitter is having issues today...)

• Like 2

EVENT Alert!: Game: Guess the drama Part 2

chingus, the gossip lovers EO are back with another set of blinds based on the juiciest gossips we heard from the Kdrama world. Let's see if you can guess the dramas based on blinds 

:hooray:

Your friendly neighborhood and resident Event Organizers,

@Lmangla @partyon @Sleepy Owl

--- 

• Like 2

EVENT Alert!: Game: Guess the drama Part 2

chingus, the gossip lovers EO are back with another set of blinds based on the juiciest gossips we heard from the Kdrama world. Let's see if you can guess the dramas based on blinds 

:hooray:

Your friendly neighborhood and resident Event Organizers,

@Lmangla @partyon @Sleepy Owl

--- 

• Like 1

Today (27 April 2021) our beautiful Han Hyo Joo shared so many pictures from Allure on her instagram

I am glad she chose this picture for her IG photo profile 

She posted a few BW versions

Spoiler

and the melancholy coloured shades 

Spoiler

Beauty with a story

• Like 3

Hi, anyone knows if Park Hyung Sik and HHJ have confirmed to take the role in "Happiness" yet?  Only Daily Sports mentioned they confirmed but other sources like Soompi just said they were in talk and no further updates. I thought they were supposed  to start filming this month?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sweetsummer said:

Hi, anyone knows if Park Hyung Sik and HHJ have confirmed to take the role in "Happiness" yet?  Only Daily Sports mentioned they confirmed but other sources like Soompi just said they were in talk and no further updates. I thought they were supposed  to start filming this month?

another article from a korean news outlet also says they're confirmed for the role. it says filming will start in may, so maybe there's going to be further confirmation just before that.

• Like 3

Allure posted their interview with HJ (from their May 2021 edition) here: http://www.allurekorea.com/2021/05/04/ray-of-light-한효주/ (might have to cut and paste that to read; the link cuts off the hangul part)

Translation (apologies for errors):

RAY OF LIGHT, Han Hyo Joo

At times relaxed and at times firm, Han Hyo Joo is making her own trajectory.

The drama Treadstone, which was filmed a few years ago, is finally reaching Korean audiences. It’s already been two years. Luckily it will soon be broadcast on OCN.

It’s the era of streaming services, but it seems there’s still a difference between what’s on TV and what isn’t.
Right. I know I filmed an American drama but I still get questions on how to watch it. I’m glad that now there is the opportunity for viewers to watch it in Korea. Please watch for it if you like the Bourne series. It’s my first time challenging myself with an action drama and moreover it’s an American drama, so I hope a lot of people enjoy it. Today is the first promotional event for Treadstone. <laughs>

I can feel the thrill. How do you feel? Is it like finding a two-year investment savings account?
Haha! I suppose it feels like that. First of all, I’m really grateful for the chance to show you my hard work. We split up the shooting time, but I think it took around a year to film. American dramas have a pilot concept, so I worked hard on the first episode for a month and a half or two months and then shot the remaining episodes over 5-6 months.

The filming location was in Hungary, right? Do you miss Hungary? Do you eat a lot of goulash?
Both the day and night views of Budapest are so pretty. Daytime, nighttime, both pretty. I also ate goulash. <smile> I got to experience almost all four seasons in Hungary. I lived a healthy lifestyle while in Hungary. Because the genre was action, I worked out a lot. My routine was like that of an athlete. I had a break from filming and training on the weekends, but on the weekdays I went to work like an office worker, doing stunt training in the morning and going to the gym in the afternoon.

It’s training, not practice.
It’s training. Stunt training is about learning choreography, so you don’t gain muscle while doing it. But, you still need muscle to do it, so then you have to go to the gym to build that muscle. I ate and exercised every day, all day. Eating naturally makes you feel comfortable and makes you search out healthy food. That’s how I think I naturally got stronger.

Spoiler

It’s good that you got stronger. Are the muscles you built then still strong?
I lost a lot. Last year while filming Pirates: Goblin Flag, I mostly used a lot of swords. I’ve been working out constantly so I’ve been able to maintain it to some degree, so if there’s muscle that I’ve built, it comes back quickly. I think I’m still pretty good.

Does being muscular give you energy?
I recommend it to everyone. <smiles> It certainly makes me feel healthy. Before Treadstone, I had never exercised that hard. But after working out like that, I have become addicted. I realized I just felt so refreshed after working out.

Aren’t you famous for your athletic ability? There are two contrasting images. From extremely elegant images to the images of a wild action actress.
I’m pretty athletic so I’ve always liked exercise since I was young. It was a pain to do it… <laughs> I wasn’t aware of how much I liked to use my body. I tried it and found I was good at it. To the public I have an elegant image, and that’s a part of me, but in reality I am bright and easy-going and kind of a tomboy to people who are close to me. I don’t really want to show it, but it’s something like that. I think there are different aspects to me.

There are times when these different sides of you are revealed through different characters. The public only finds out at that time. How do you feel about that?
Like a little green tree frog that wants to hide. <smile> I think I go back and forth. I take on a little bit of whatever role I’m playing. My action side gets highlighted when I’m playing action, and my calm side when I’m playing something calm. That’s why I think acting suits me well.

I know it’s been a long time, but I wanted to ask what your most vivid memories were of filming. I guess that would be exercise. It sounds like some kind of athletes’ dorm.
Right, it’s exercise. I worked out a lot! <laughs> Because of the genre, I worked hard on action, and because it was a spy show, I had to speak a lot of languages fluently, so I practiced my North Korean accent hard. People ask me if my English has gotten better since filming, and I’m told my accent has improved a lot.

You’re originally from Cheongju, right? It’s not a place with a strong accent.
Right, I hardly have any accent. The only thing is putting a “kyo” on the end and slightly raising it a degree. Both my mother’s and father’s families are from Cheongju. I don’t really use Cheongju (dialect). The deeper you go, the stronger the accent gets. I think there is a little difference from region to region.

You can do North Korean dialect too, right? Did you learn standard Pyeongyang dialect?
Actually I learned Pyeongyang dialect from someone from Pyeongyang. <smile> The North Korean dialect we usually hear is really exaggerated. They don’t really use that much dialect in Pyeongyang. During the two months when I was shooting the pilot episode, I went to my teacher and practiced every day.

Treadstone was released on Amazon Prime in the US, right? What was the reaction like at the time? Any memorable reactions?
I really liked my character Soyun, and that gave me a lot of strength. When it first aired people said she was charming and they liked her, and I was thankful for that. I think they liked the fact that she was a female character who could do action to her hearts content.

The original James Bourne series is of course a huge success. Is there any one work you’re particularly attached to?
All three are great so it’s hard to pick, but I think it would be Bourne Ultimatum. The female character Nicky Parsons (Julia Styles) was also very attractive.

Nicky appeared in the first series and then later had a significant reappearance. That hidden story had quite a lot of attraction. The spinoff after the end was a great gift for fans.
I also really like the Harry Potter spinoff series “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them.” Like that, we talked about Soyun being the center of the Bourne spinoff series. <smile> I have a lot to show you. Right now there is only one season to see, but when the character was first created there were a lot of connections to other stories and characters.

I’m really curious but there’s nothing you can spill, is there? (transl. note, not sure on this question)
I also would like the chance to show you more of Soyun’s story <smile>

Soyun is a North Korean. We speak the same language, but our cultures are different. How did you approach doing this?
What surprised me was that when I went to the first meeting in Budapest, one entire wall of the office was covered in drafts about North Korea. I was amazed at how much material there was.

It must have been the first time you saw something like that. We really don’t know much about North Korea, do we?
As I did this drama I saw different aspects of North Korea through all these different materials, it was amazing.

Soyun’s process of discovering her identity is quite like Jason Bourne’s. I think the theme of identity continues in this.
They’re agents who trained at the Treadstone training facility but have lost their memories and don’t know who they are. I also woke up, someone else woke up in Alaska, someone in Berlin, all over the world. The idea can be quite interesting. There could be a lot of locations to show.

What was the biggest difference in how you felt as an actor compared to shooting a Korean work overseas?
The thing that was the most different was that there were a lot of directors. The pilot director was different and every 2 episodes there was a different director. In the 10th episode the director was there 5-6 minutes. The most famous director did the pilot episode, and of course the other directors are famous too, and they all want to try new things. As each episode has a different director, I also met a wide variety of people. The system itself is different from Korea. Because the directors were different it was both more comfortable and more awkward. Because we were doing the work like a job, I just said, “Oh…so that’s how it is.”

Let’s have a Korean-style meal and talk when we’re done today… You wouldn’t see something like this.
Not at all <laughing>

Was there a difference in the acting or directing style?
I hardly felt any difference there. The reason I felt a little more free in acting was because no one knew who I was, so they didn’t have big expectations. They didn’t know how I’d act or what I’d look like, so if I just did well on set, they’d applaud. It was a fresh and new inspiration for me. It increased my self esteem. Since then, I’ve applauded a lot.

Somehow I was on the set just a little bit ago…
I clapped hard. <laughing> On Korean sets when someone does well or brings a good atmosphere, I like to clap to show encouragement for what I like. I get a lot of energy from it, so I would like to do that for other people.

I like the story of doing things freely. It’s not easy to feel free, is it? Whenever you’re cast in a work, there is an article about “Han Hyo Joo’s Next Work” or something like that. Isn’t that a scary weight to be given right from the start?
It’s scary. But it’s also fun. I still like the process of filling myself up and emptying myself with a character. It’s terrifying and scary but when I go to the set I’m really happy. We spend energy but we get energy, too. I think the set is the most fun. It’s the playground where I can play most freely. Being on set for Treadstone was amazing, even from the beginning it was never uncomfortable. Actually, I expected it to be uncomfortable. But it was so comfortable. I laid down the burdens I couldn’t help having as “Han Hyo Joo” and was able to relax with complete strangers in a completely unfamiliar environment.

What’s your favorite moment on set?
At first it was scary and I kept to myself, but I feel most free when people are comfortable and I’m embodying a character. “From now on, I really want to be able to play”—when that moment comes, it’s the best. Sometimes with a work it comes early, and sometimes if it doesn’t, it’s quite uncomfortable. The sooner it comes, the more fun it is on set.

You spent a year in Hungary, and then you were filming for a while in Japan, right? Korean fans must have wondered why you were taking a break for so long.
Probably a lot of people thought this way. But I mean…I’ve been working pretty hard.

It seems you stay pretty quiet when you’re not active. Are you a quiet person?
I have a lot of aegyo with my unnies. I joke around a lot with people I’m close to. Generally I’m not super talkative. I’m a lot more chatty than when I was young, though. Since my 30s I’ve started to enjoy talking with friends. Now I want to share hard times and good times with them. I truly enjoy talking together, relieving burdens, and sharing good things.

When you appeared on Seoul Hillbilly (Hometown Flex), you just naturally melted into it. Wouldn’t you like to try more shows like that?
I did it because my friend Lee Seung Gi asked me to. I dont really know what Im good or bad at. <smile> At any rate, I thought it would be fun to watch since it was my home town.

What did you do yesterday and what are you going to do tomorrow?
Yesterday I worked out and got a hair treatment and prepared for today’s shoot. As soon as it’s done I’m eating tteokbokki. Tomorrow I have work.

After seeing all the news, I figured you’d be busy again. How do you plan to do it?
I think Ill work hard, like always. You cant always predict whats before you, but Ill do my best to film well and show you good works. Fortunately Ill be working through the end of this year. Im always grateful because you let me work.

Don’t you need to refill yourself in order to work hard?
Ill refill myself at work this year. I fill myself up a lot on set. Last year I got a lot of energy from the set of Pirates. I think Ill be busy this year.

Is there any other aspect of yourself youd like to pull out this time?
HmI think I like who I am right now. Instead of pulling something out by force or making something, Id rather show you something that comes from me naturally, like fate.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much @frozentundra for the translation.  What a GREAT interview!  She revealed much about her experience and feelings during her 1 -2 years in USA / Japan stint, mostly Treadstone.

Glad she enjoyed herself so much as So Yun, and that she re-discover herself -  the renewed energy for exercise and acting through the inspiration and interactions with fellow foreign directors /crew /artistes and environment (set up).  

Right now there is only one season to see, but when the character was first created there were a lot of connections to other stories and characters.

She quoted that there is only 1 season to see .... right now?    Haha, keep me thinking that there might be more.

And I like how she said that she is refilling while emptying herself to bring her best, naturally, to herself and fans.

That is a good and positive desire. 
Wow!  I am truly happy for Hyo and wish her the best in her journey to being her best, naturally and comfortably !  

cr https://www.instagram.com/seoheeyoung

Han Hyo Joo for D^etre, a new brand of Daebang

Construction

more from https://twitter.com/hhj__222

• Like 3

I feel like her opportunity to do Treadstone was a gift. She had a lot of new adventures and enjoyed herself while learning a lot. 

I always look forward to her interviews. I couldn't help thinking, though--aww, don't feel pressure! We who are fans just like her acting and enjoy her work. We'll always cheer her on. She shouldn't feel stressed out about it. We just like all of the different "little me's" inside her that come out in so many different and interesting characters. Elegant Hyo Joo, tomboy Hyo Joo, it's all good. We'll applaud. :) 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

I feel like her opportunity to do Treadstone was a gift. She had a lot of new adventures and enjoyed herself while learning a lot. 

I always look forward to her interviews. I couldn't help thinking, though--aww, don't feel pressure! We who are fans just like her acting and enjoy her work. We'll always cheer her on. She shouldn't feel stressed out about it. We just like all of the different "little me's" inside her that come out in so many different and interesting characters. Elegant Hyo Joo, tomboy Hyo Joo, it's all good. We'll applaud. :) 

:doggie:

New pic on Hyo Joo for D^etre, a new brand of Daebang Construction

Simple yet beautiful

• Like 3

Hyo-Joo Han X Hyung-Sik Park X Woo-Jin Jo meet with 'Happiness' [Official]

2021.05.07. 9:22 am

0000766588_001_20210507092204340.jpg?type=w430Original view

[Sports Seoul Reporter Jung Ha-eun] Hyo-joo Han, Hyung-sik Park, and Woo-jin Jo open up a completely new world of apocalypse.

'Happiness' is a city thriller that depicts the lives of people isolated in apartments, which are a miniature version of a hierarchical society in the near future. The cracks and fears that occur as high-rise apartments in a large city where various groups of humans live are blocked by a new infectious disease, a fierce struggle for survival, and a psychological warfare in detail. In a closed space where daily life collapses and existing values sway, the realistic fear of doubting and guarding each other awakens the viewers' five senses.

The meeting of the crew of hit makers is expected to create a new level of Apocalypse. Director Ahn Gil-ho, who showed the power of detailed directing regardless of genre, such as 'Youth Records' 'WATCHER', 'Memories of the Alhambra' and 'The Secret Forest', and Han Sang-woon who wrote 'WATCHER' and 'Goodwipe' was congenial. After 'WATCHER', which took the psychological thriller genre to the next level, the dream team that reunited again makes drama fans excited about what kind of sensation will occur.

Above all, the meeting of Hyo-joo Han, Hyung-sik Park, and Woo-jin Jo, who will focus on perfection, also sparks anticipation. After returning with Girl Crush, Han Hyo-joo plays the role of 'Yun Sae-bom', a police commando tactical agent with quick situation judgment, determination, and guts. What it meant is that, as soon as he enters the new apartment of his dream, he faces a crisis as soon as he enters the new apartment of his dream. Han Hyo-joo, who will return to a character he has never shown before, is already looking forward to a different transformation.

The expectation and interest poured into Park Hyung's return work is also hot. Park Hyung-sik takes on the role of a clever and honest homicide detective'Jeong Lee-hyun' and sets out to renew his life character. She is an unexpected innocent group who lives with a pure love for high school alumnus Yoon Sae-bom (played by Han Hyo-ju). She accepts the unexpected proposal of Sae-bom and is caught in a whirlpool. They move for the public good, even at the expense of themselves, and fight endless crises and fears to protect themselves and new springs. In a place filled with unknown infectious diseases and desires, attention is paid to the new urban thriller that Han Hyo-joo and Park Hyung-sik will complete, as to how the survival period to protect the precious things will be drawn.

In addition, Jo Woo-jin, an actor with a deep prowess, takes on the role of 'Han Tae-seok', a lieutenant colonel of the Medical Command, who holds the 'key' of the infectious disease situation. He secretly uncovers the cause of the new infectious disease and is in charge of preventing the spread of it. He is not a military intelligence officer and is polite and modest, but he cannot understand the double aspect of sudden change in the moment. There is also an expectation for Jo Woo-jin's performance to adjust the tension of the play.

The production crew of 'Happiness' said, “'Happiness' depicts human desires and discrimination between classes in the background of an apartment where people with various personalities and desires live together. In these days when we feel the preciousness of our daily lives, we will provide a different kind of fun with the most realistic and ongoing horror.”

On the other hand, 'Happiness' will start shooting for the first time in May.

jayee212@sportsseoul.com

photo | BH Entertainment, United Artists Agency,

Yoobon Company

[Article report news@sportsseoul.com]
Copyright ⓒ Sports Seoul & sportsseoul.com

Google trans from https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/468/0000766588
  • Like 2
  • Blob 1

Just popping in here after GOD KNOWS HOW LONG butttt just wanted to say I'm so excited for this year + 2022. Our girl is booked and busy, happy and surrounded by good friends. We are going to be fed so well these upcoming months T-T 

I don't know how I feel about the premise of Happiness, but at this point, I'm just anxious to see her on the small screen again. She is literally the only reason why I bother watching Kdramas lol. I know nothing about Park Hyung Sik but he's cute so I hope to see strong chemistry between these two, especially since the premise seems quite serious so I don't expect a very strong loveline. But I think I'm just desperate to see Hyo Joo smiling and being her happy self... Been rewatching Hometown Flex eps and old interview videos a lot lately lol. Hoping she will update her IG a lot during production~~ I expect many coffee trucks sent by her friends!

And then... still.... waiting for Moving confirmation.. 

• Like 4