Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

I had a feeling that picture would not remain long online. Almost every single picture I've ever seen connected with Golden Slumber has disappeared very quickly. Even back when they were filming, there was a food truck sent to them, and the production company asked both the food truck company and also HJ's manager to remove their posts about it. I do not know why they are so secretive about the production, but at some point (soon) the movie will be out, so...?

• Confused 1

Finally! Hyo Joo at a promo event for Golden Slumber. Aw, she looks so pretty!

Spoiler

And also, I just love this picture:

I know she said her character doesn't really have any scenes with Kim Eui Sung in this movie, but she also said that whenever they did cross paths on set, she would always says, "Appa, your daughter is here!" And she also said how easy it is to talk with him, how she always ends up telling him things she doesn't normally tell people. They seem to have such a lovely  father-daughter-ish relationship. I can feel the warmth just looking at this picture. 

Now I just need to find out when this movie is available where I live.

• Like 2

Golden Slumber was just released in South Korea. There won't be a download link for a while.

I'm hoping my local CGV Theater will have it with English subs!

Anyway, disappointed with how little she's promoting GS! And they keep sticking her in the middle in the little promotion she's doing! I want to see her with KDW! lol 

Box office performance: It's doing pretty well. Marvel's latest film, Black Panther is out this week so tough competition there. BP is #1 and GS is #2 today (2/14/18). 

h2KLCPN.png

source: http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/news/boxOffice_Daily.jsp?mode=BOXOFFICE_DAILY

• Like 2

I guess that's it for Hyojoo's promotion as far as this movie's concerned? Lol thanks for the latest update.

Golden Slumber should have no problem breaking the 1M milestone (tickets sold). And you also have to take into consideration the number of screenings and BP has more, almost double.

Anyway, I tried to look into the reviews and it seems to be mixed, a site translated some of the netizens' reviews and I have seen one English review so far, but, it's not very positive. 

ETA: Actually, I saw two reviews and this one's more positive. GS opens tomorrow in LA.

Spoiler

Golden Slumber: Korea Remakes Nakamura

The Beatles recorded “Golden Slumbers” without John Lennon, because he was in the hospital while they recorded that part of the Abbey Road suite-like progression. That doesn’t matter to Kim Gun-woo. To him, it will always represent his friendship with his old band-mates. Unfortunately, his nostalgia makes him easy pickings when one of his former pals helps frame him for the assassination of the leading presidential candidate. If that sounds familiar, it is because it is a loose remake ofYoshihiro Nakamura’s hit from 2010. Given the increasing suspicion and cynicism regarding governmental institutions across South Korea, this paranoid political thriller makes the cross-over quite easily. It will be death by Beatles cover in Noh Dong-seok’s Golden Slumber (trailer here), which opens tomorrow in Los Angeles and next Friday in select cities.

The aw-shucks Kim is Korea’s favorite deliveryman after he saved K-Pop idol Su-ah from an attacker. However, he still has time for his friends, so he readily agrees to meet Moo-yeol when he suddenly reappears. The idea is to frame-up Kim for a conspiracy that is never really explained, but Moo-yeol just can’t do it, so he drives off with the second car bomb instead.

Kim is still framed up good and solid, so he has no choice but to run like mad. Although confused and distrustful, Kim will look up the former black ops colleague Moo-yeol referred him to, because what choice does he really have? However, “Mr. Min” clearly does not have his best interests at heart—at least not initially. Meanwhile, Kim’s surviving band-mates, including Jeon Sun-young, the great love of his life, debate his guilt or innocence and how far they should be willing to go to help him.

With his Slumber, Noh essentially returns the favor to Japan for remaking Confession of Murder as the in some ways superior Memoirs of a Murderer. The new Korean version is definitely tighter, stripping away some of problematic subplots, while adding some identifiably Korean particulars. As a result, it is probably even more effective as a “Wrong Man” thriller. In fact, even those who know Nakamura’s original film will find the third act surprisingly devious.

Gang Dong-won agilely walks a tightrope as Kim, portraying him as painfully naïve, but still socially functional—and to some extent, even nobly idealistic. Kim Eui-sung (the jerky businessman in Train to Busan) is all kinds of hardnosed as Mr. Min. Frankly, Han Hyo-joo brings over-achieving depth to the true-believing, equally sentimental Sun-young. Regrettably, there isn’t a colorful villain to root against, but Noh largely compensates with breakneck pacing.

When Nakamura’s Slumber played in New York, we found its depiction of media compliance and obedience somewhat dubious, but seven-plus years later, it now feels like Noh lets the media off easy. Does anyone doubt the major news outlets would now predetermine what the truth of a story might be and “spike” any reports that contradicted it? What inspired incredulity now seems self-evidently believable, admittedly thanks to some wise reshaping of the narrative, courtesy of screenwriters Cho Ui-seok and Lee Hae-joon. Plus, as a bonus, there are a few pleasant covers of the nearly titular Beatles tune. Enthusiastically recommended, Golden Slumber opens tomorrow (2/16) at the Los Angeles and Buena Park CGV Cinemas and next Friday (2/23) in New York.

http://jbspins.blogspot.ca/2018/02/golden-slumber-korea-remakes-nakamura.html

@kaz11: Do you have a link to the review and translated netizens' reviews? 

Re: netizen reviews... 

It's all on Naver... A lot of netizens have been down scoring HHJ's movies so there's always a discrepancy when it comes to her movies... especially if they've just been released. I'd imagine that her brother's controversy combined with KDW's own controversy, a lot of people are working hard to downvote the movie.

I saw on a Korean site (that's less bias) yesterday that its viewers' ratings were at 8.-something, which is pretty good. 

• Like 1

The reviews I saw on Naver earlier today actually talked about the movie (and not their biased complaints about HJ), which was nice. People seemed to be liking it. (Yes, still some mean netizen reactions, but considering the last article I read there, where the comments were ALL harassment from netizens, it was good to see people who had actually seen the movie and liked it.) 

If any of you get to go see it, let us know how it is! It looks like it is showing in my country, but I live so far away from any theater that will carry it that I may as well be trying to go to Seoul.

• Like 1

@kaz11: Thanks for the link and the website to the netizens' reviews. Yeah, I don't even bother looking at netizens' reviews of her movies anymore. It's all the same.

I'm glad the more positive review made sure to make a highlighted comment about her performance. Happy to hear that she seemingly delivered another fully-realized character, even one that is limited to being a side character. 

Hopefully the film keeps performing well. I read they paid Paul McCartney $200K USD for the rights to the song, "Golden Slumber." So they better sell enough tickets to justify that cost lol.

The film is coming to my local CGV theaters in Buena Park, CA and Los Angeles, CA but... it's not English-subtitled so :( I'm not sure my boyfriend will want to watch it without subs lol.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ohnoitscindy said:

The film is coming to my local CGV theater in Buena Park, CA and Los Angeles, CA but... it's not English-subtitled so :( I'm not sure my boyfriend will want to watch it without subs lol.

Tell him chase scenes and car explosions don't require subtitles? :) I admit I am envious that it is showing so close to you... I live on the US-Canadian border, literally in the middle of NOWHERE. There are a few university students from Korea, but not enough to justify bringing in any kind of non-English films. :( 

(Still, it's weird that they are showing it internationally, but aren't including subs??)