Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

As more possibilities have been added to the cast list of the drama Moving (none of whom are confirmed yet), I've been poking around, trying to find more information about the webtoon the drama is based on. Has anyone here read it? I think you can only read it online within Korea, but it's also in a print book series (5 volumes). I read the plot summary and some of the reviews on Kyobobook. Like I said already, it's about a kid who can float, plus some other kids at school who have superpowers as well. The parents want him to keep it quiet. The story then goes back to tell the parents' story (I assume HJ's role is the mom?). The parents were secret agents and the dad at least can fly. Then the third part is about the parents and kids working together. There's a lot about what it means to be a superhero really, and I think (from the reader reviews, anyway), a lot about the special relationship between parents and children. Here's the cover of volume 4 (of 5) of the print comic. Can you see Hyo Joo?

8960869244_2.jpg

The gist of the words on the cover is, don't you dare touch my kid. Given her action background as well as the times when she's played a role defending various family members, I can totally see her in this. She even looks like the drawing? If I were adapting this, I'd lower the age of the kids to elementary school to make the parents' ages a bit more believable (and I can think of a couple options that would work well for the kids), but I don't know what they're planning to do. 

Anyway, if anyone has actually read this manwha, please share! It seems a bit difficult to access from outside Korea.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 7:51 AM, frozentundra said:

As more possibilities have been added to the cast list of the drama Moving (none of whom are confirmed yet), I've been poking around, trying to find more information about the webtoon the drama is based on. Has anyone here read it? I think you can only read it online within Korea, but it's also in a print book series (5 volumes). I read the plot summary and some of the reviews on Kyobobook. Like I said already, it's about a kid who can float, plus some other kids at school who have superpowers as well. The parents want him to keep it quiet. The story then goes back to tell the parents' story (I assume HJ's role is the mom?). The parents were secret agents and the dad at least can fly. Then the third part is about the parents and kids working together. There's a lot about what it means to be a superhero really, and I think (from the reader reviews, anyway), a lot about the special relationship between parents and children. Here's the cover of volume 4 (of 5) of the print comic. Can you see Hyo Joo?

8960869244_2.jpg

The gist of the words on the cover is, don't you dare touch my kid. Given her action background as well as the times when she's played a role defending various family members, I can totally see her in this. She even looks like the drawing? If I were adapting this, I'd lower the age of the kids to elementary school to make the parents' ages a bit more believable (and I can think of a couple options that would work well for the kids), but I don't know what they're planning to do. 

Anyway, if anyone has actually read this manwha, please share! It seems a bit difficult to access from outside Korea.

where are you looking for that picture? because I didn't find. please tell me thank you.

1 hour ago, Rawinda Yolephova said:

where are you looking for that picture? because I didn't find. please tell me thank you.

Sorry, I meant to add that in. You can find the full series listed on Kyobo Book here: https://search.kyobobook.co.kr/web/search?vPstrKeyWord=%EB%AC%B4%EB%B9%99%20%EA%B0%95%ED%92%80&orderClick=LAG

And you can find this particular cover (volume 4) here: http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?ejkGb=KOR&mallGb=KOR&barcode=9788960869240&orderClick=LAG&Kc=

It's nice to be able to read the publisher's summary and reader comments on these pages to get more of an idea of what her role might be like. My best guess from the comments (not having read the webtoon itself) is that she is the mom character. The story starts with the son and his school friends, but apparently in the middle, it moves back to tell the story of the parents' generation. And then the third and final segment is the parents and children working together. It's action/superhero/family ties from what I can tell. 

Of course, they could always adapt it differently. Make the child younger (in the webtoon he's in high school), or change the ages of everybody. 

I'd really like to read it, but so far to read it online, you have to register with your Korean cell phone provider (impossible outside of Korea), buy the printed books used (good price, will only ship within Korea), or buy new (possible, but ummm wow, it costs a lot more, plus shipping). 

Anyway, the cover of volume 4 made me smile because it really does look like Hyo Joo! She pulls off that Do Not Mess With My Family look quite well; that plus her action experience really makes her an ideal person for the role.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, frozentundra said:

Sorry, I meant to add that in. You can find the full series listed on Kyobo Book here: https://search.kyobobook.co.kr/web/search?vPstrKeyWord=%EB%AC%B4%EB%B9%99%20%EA%B0%95%ED%92%80&orderClick=LAG

And you can find this particular cover (volume 4) here: http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?ejkGb=KOR&mallGb=KOR&barcode=9788960869240&orderClick=LAG&Kc=

It's nice to be able to read the publisher's summary and reader comments on these pages to get more of an idea of what her role might be like. My best guess from the comments (not having read the webtoon itself) is that she is the mom character. The story starts with the son and his school friends, but apparently in the middle, it moves back to tell the story of the parents' generation. And then the third and final segment is the parents and children working together. It's action/superhero/family ties from what I can tell. 

Of course, they could always adapt it differently. Make the child younger (in the webtoon he's in high school), or change the ages of everybody. 

I'd really like to read it, but so far to read it online, you have to register with your Korean cell phone provider (impossible outside of Korea), buy the printed books used (good price, will only ship within Korea), or buy new (possible, but ummm wow, it costs a lot more, plus shipping). 

Anyway, the cover of volume 4 made me smile because it really does look like Hyo Joo! She pulls off that Do Not Mess With My Family look quite well; that plus her action experience really makes her an ideal person for the role.

thank you for telling me about the cover.

yes I am also very grateful that Hyojoo considered this role positively, because I think it will be something interesting.

I only read the webtoon ( on daum) until episode 3 and it was very interesting.

HJ's figure is very visible there as a mother.  i want to continue but can't buy because i am not a local person.

I hope he will accept this role. She may have had dozens of offers for his drama comeback, but it looks like she's just found the role he wants.

• Like 2

Yes, I read as far as I could online as well. Well, hopefully she takes the role and we get to watch it on screen even if we can't read it! I keep checking naver to see if she has confirmed, but so far I haven't seen any news about anyone confirming from any official primary source. I think it's likely, though, going from past observation. (If it has gotten this far for her interest to be announced, she usually does end up taking it.)

In the meantime, I see they are currently filming at her favorite Jeju for Pirates 2. Must be nice. :) Hyo Joo fighting!

• Like 1

• Guest changed the title to Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - Upcoming Movie 2021: Pirates 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Since we can post IG links again...

And some more from one of her stylists: 

Hyo Joo updated her IG after quite some time today. (She has been super busy filming Pirates.) There was a breast cancer awareness event sponsored by W Korea (magazine) and Chanel, and she was part of it. Aw, it's so nice to see her! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think some recent board upgrades are erasing all the images in the messages. :( This makes me sad! HJ is suddenly super active online again, it's so nice to see her going to events, having drama watching parties with friends (*suddenly feels envious of people who live in a country where they can safely do that*), working hard on Pirates 2, receiving food support from her sunbae in Cold Eyes, cheering on her fellow cast and crew mates, and posting lots of pictures of fall foliage. Wish we could share some of the posts from all of this here. 

Anyway, I sure hope those pools are heated cause it seems a bit chilly to be swimming these days! Hope filming is fun and safe, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming result.

chibi-HJ1-WM.jpg

(Cheering on director Park Hye Ryeong's documentary The Wandering Chef)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Thanks for posting these, Kembie!

A small translation note, machine translation (as featured above on these posts) always translates the word for acting as breathing. So...they are not actually breathing underwater, but ACTING well underwater. :D 

Ahh... it didn't think it was a typo LOL  - thank you so much @frozentundra :)

cr https://twitter.com/chesspl071973/status/ 1323609723736780800

• Like 1

I really am enjoying all of her posts and stories. Her constant stream of "good work today" makes me think of something she said in her Harper's interview last October:

"There was a scene where I had to play the piano perfectly. (speaking of Treadstone) Once I had practiced for a month and finished shooting the scene safely, everyone applauded sincerely. It was so rewarding to act then. When we do well, we also should give a lot of praise and compliments. {smile} I think we should adopt this kind of culture."
-
피아노를 완벽하게 연주해야 하는 신이 있었어요. 한 달 동안 연습해서 그 신을 무사히 딱 끝내고 나니까 다들 진심으로 박수를 쳐주더라고요. 그때 연기하는 게 새삼 보람되더라고요. 우리도 잘하면 박수도 쳐주고 칭찬도 자주 해주고(웃음) 이런 문화 좀 갖고 와야 될 것 같아요.

I can't help but feel like she is trying to do this very thing, cheering on the people she is working with.

We're cheering you on too, Hyo Joo ssi!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, frozentundra said:

I can't help but feel like she is trying to do this very thing, cheering on the people she is working with.

We're cheering you on too, Hyo Joo ssi!

Totally with you on this!   Thanks for pointing out @frozentundra

Another awesome post from our sweet Hyo Joo ssi  
#hanhyojoo Instagram update with caption "Take care everyone, It’s getting cold."

• Like 1