Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

Personally am just glad to see that tweet with that much support for her. We are used to reading so many negative comments about her from back home that we forget she actually has supporters hiding in the corners. 

Am just waiting for treadstone to air cause am very interested in the project as a whole now and i’ve been dreaming of that photoshoot and interview since forever. Will like to know how she feels about this gig and her future plans.

This isnt related but i just want to hail han ji min here for always liking hyojoo’s treadstone post faster than anyone haha. She’s such a supportive noona

People have already dragged d news guy on twitter. Such an annoying dude.

Anyone remember bhboss promising during her last fan meeting 2 years ago that she will do another one in two years. Wondering if that might still hold..although I bet it won’t. Just thinking out loud lol

• Like 2

Looks like her storyline in Treadstone season 1 will end with her somehow escaping to South Korea? Her clothes look very dirty. What happens to her "family"? And it look like the extras/set are set in the present and not in the past (?) as shown in the teasers so far. I think the man she bumps into is carrying a cellphone? 

• Like 1

USA network just showed the first episode as a sneak peek last night. Just finished watching it and it’s actually very good! Looks promising for sure! 

It’s so fun seeing Hyo Joo finally do some action scenes! Lol 

• Like 2

So is she back in Korea for good for the time being? I saw that she was hanging out with PMH at a clothing store in her IG story. How long will we have to wait to hear about casting news for this girl lol 

@ohnoitscindy Not gonna lie, I think we won't be getting any new casting news soon(although heaven knows am hoping to be 100% wrong on this) in her most recent interview, she said she's looking for historical work with social significance and not melos. Don't know if there's gonna be any work she will like soon. Fingers crossed. And yes I thinks she's back to korea full time now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two days left till the official premiere of Treadstone! Been reading a couple early reviews here and there, and so far, it's garnered a so-and-so reaction. On a positive note, they applaud the action scenes, one person even gave special mention to our girl. Other good news is Amazon got the rights to air the show globally.

Regarding her next work lol I wish she would announce she's doing a drama sometime late this year. Hopefully, when Treadstone is done airing? Maybe.

I've read that they have plans of making another Bourne movie and having it tie to the TV show. Hopefully Treadstone does well enough to warrant another movie.

I've admittedly never watched any of the Bourne movies but I feel like there is a lot of bias against Treadstone from long-time fans of the franchise because the last movie they did without Matt Damon, people hated it lol. I don't think there is much interest in the IP if Matt Damon's character isn't in it. Like I've said, I've already watched the first episode a few weeks ago. It was a solid pilot but I have a feeling once they keep introducing other Treadstone project operatives, it might take a dip in quality. The show itself is probably super costly to produce since they filmed all over the world. So we shall see if it gets picked up for a second season. 

Some reviews (might contain spoilers so read at your own risk):

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/entertainment/treadstone-review/index.html

https://screenrant.com/treadstone-tv-series-review-jason-bourne-franchise-usa/

https://www.cbr.com/jason-bourne-spin-off-treadstone-review/

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/treadstone-review-1203355202/

https://www.rogerebert.com/demanders/you-would-be-best-to-wipe-usas-treadstone-from-your-memory

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2019/10/08/treadstone-review-a-decent-show-that-needs-to-shed-its-unwillingness-to-be-a-part-something-bigger-than-itself/#66d73fc470e8

Thanks for the review roundup, Cindy. I've been reading them as well, and of the ones that mention actors by name, they seem to go out of their way to praise HJ. But I think you are also right in that the biggest hurdle to this succeeding is if they can convince people to watch Jason Bourne without Jason Bourne in it. It's hard to get people to change loyalties. But there are plenty of people who have never watched the original films who might be drawn in without that inherent bias. We'll see. 

What I want most to come from this, however the show ultimately does, is for people to recognize HJ's acting and for some of that respect to come to her from home as well. Altruistically, I want her to be able to do whatever she wants to do in her future. Selfishly, I hope there's a drama in Korea in her future sometime as well. :)

I was looking for reviews yesterday and stumbled on their podcast. They REALLY liked her--definitely their favorite character. They loved her acting, loved her storyline (they are just a warm, loving family, despite North Korea, despite her being a cicada), and loved her action. Glad to see them still cheering her on. :)

Just came back from checking the hashtag for treadstone. So far, most people are loving the first episode, including a few fans of the Bourne films. Mostly saw comments praising the action scenes, the fast pace, and the fact that all the women can kick richard simmons.

I'll be honest, whenever one of my faves has a new project like every other fan I want it to do good rating-wise. But, if it doesn't then that's okay too, as long as the show gets favorable reviews from critics and the audience enjoys it then that makes it worthwhile. I'm already glad with the fact she was given the opportunity to try out the action genre. 

High Spy

Hyo-Joo Han comes to America through the Bourne universe.

Paula Chin

Hyo-Joo Han was ready for something completely different.

A superstar in her native South Korea, she began her acting career in 2005 and quickly skyrocketed to fame as a rom-com actress in films and on television. Now she's making the big leap to Hollywood: on the USA Network's Treadstone, she plays a mild-mannered piano teacher in North Korea who is actually a covert CIA agent.

The series, premiering October 15, takes place in the Bourne Identity universe and follows several sleeper spies around the globe, all of whom have been trained by the infamous black ops program to become superhuman assassins.

"I'm a big fan of the Bourne series," says Han, who believes viewers will relate to her character, even though she's a killing machine. "She's a strong, good woman — a normal housewife and mother who is struggling to complete her mission while protecting her family. That could apply to anyone."

Born and raised in Cheongju and discovered at 16 in a local beauty contest, Han finds the physical demands of the role a constant challenge — for example, she has to train daily in hand-to-hand combat.

She notes that working on a TV series, American style, presents other challenges. "It's a very different process for me. I'm used to having one director for a show, so having lots of directors was confusing at first. But now I'm enjoying working with so many talented people," she says.

That includes her costars, including Omar Metwally (The Affair), Brian J. Smith (Sense8) and Jeremy Irvine (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again). The production is based in Budapest, but separate storylines mean the actors aren't together on set that often.

"When we are, we all get together and go out for dinner," Han says. "Everyone is very caring and cheerful, and it's been fantastic."

As exciting as working on Treadstone is, she knows her legions of loyal fans — dubbed "Hyolics" — are waiting for her back home. "It's impossible for me to say how much I appreciate them. I want to keep giving back and continue to do Korean films and TV shows as well." Even so, she admits Hollywood has her hooked. "It's an amazing opportunity, and I want to keep going for more and more. I never want it to stop."

This article originally appeared in emmy magazine, Issue No. 10, 2019

https://www.emmys.com/news/mix/high-spy

• 2 weeks later...

October 28, 2019

HAN Hyo-joo and LEE Jong-hyuk Join USA Networks-Amazon Series
Korean Stars Cast in Bourne Spin-off TREADSTONE

by Pierce Conran KOFIC

BBjPZuZdiXTlgdfwseGf.jpg

HAN Hyo-joo and LEE Jong-hyuk are the latest Korean stars to make the move to Hollywood after having been cast in the currently in-production USA Networks series Treadstone, which will be distributed globally by Amazon Studios. The series is a spin-off of the popular Bourne film franchise.

Connected to the five-part Bourn film series, starting with the Matt DAMON-starring The Bourne Identity in 2002, Treadstone will focus on a CIA black ops program known as Operation Treadstone that employs behavioral modification to mold recruits into near-superhuman assassins. The first season will focus on these sleeper agents around the world who are suddenly awakened in order to resume their deadly missions.

Known for Cold Eyes (2013) and The Beauty Inside (2015), HAN plays PARK So-yun, a character who tries to protect her family. Cast in a currently unknown role, LEE is a veteran actor known for works such as Spirit Of Jeet Keun Do - Once Upon A Time In High School (2004) and Crush And Blush (2008). He is currently on screens opposite KWON Sang-woo and LEE Jung-hyun in the romcom LOVE, AGAIN.

The creator behind the series is Tim KRING, best known for his NBC series Heroes, which spanned four seasons and a miniseries. The show, which is currently filming on location in Budapest, Hungary, began airing on USA Networks in America on October 15.

• Thanks 1

TV Ratings: USA's 'Treadstone' Racks Up Huge Delayed Viewing Numbers

The first two episodes of Treadstone, USA Network's extension of the Bournefranchise, drew modest initial audiences: The series premiere on Oct. 15 brought in 647,000 viewers for its initial airing, and the second episode a week later dipped to 536,000.

The drama from Tim Kring (Heroes), however, has made huge gains in delayed viewing. The series debut nearly tripled its audience after seven days, growing to 1.84 million viewers. Episode two grew by a factor of more than 3½, rising to 1.97 million and surpassing the premiere.

Treadstone has also tripled its adults 18-49 rating over seven days, from an initial average of 0.14 for the first two episodes to 0.45. A lower starting point makes large percentage gains easier to achieve, but even so, it's extremely rare to see a series with an initial tune-in above 250,000 viewers make that kind of leap.

Treadstone's 1.43 million viewer gain wasn't large enough to make the top 20 for the week of Oct. 21 — it ranked 41st among all broadcast and cable shows for the week. The top of the charts is pretty similar to previous weeks, with This Is Us (+1.46 points) and Grey's Anatomy (+1.05) getting the biggest bumps in adults 18-49 and the former finishing second in viewers added (4.73 million) to The Good Doctor (4.99 million).

source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/week-5-live-7-ratings-treadstone-racks-up-huge-gains-1252483?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Direct

November 8, 2019

Actress Han Hyo-joo uploads new profile photo

Han Hyo-joo's new profile photo. Captured from Han's Instagram
Han Hyo-joo's new profile photo. Captured from Han's Instagram

By Cho Hae-min The Korea Times

Korean actress Han Hyo-joo, best known for the 2015 romance film "The Beauty Inside," uploaded a new profile photo to her Instagram on Nov. 8.

The photo has the caption: "I will do my best being thankful."

Han is making her Hollywood debut. She has finished shooting her first American action TV series "Treadstone," which is a spinoff of American action-thriller film "Bourne."

A special preview of the pilot was aired on USA Network on Sept. 24, before the series premiere on October 15.

Outside the U.S., the series will premiere on Amazon Prime Video on January 10 next year.

haemincho@naver.com

I've been following this show. So far Han's been doing fairly good job; however whenever it comes to the action scenes, she still carries some sort of weakness and softness in most of martial art movements. Not too bad, but I expected her more than what she's been showcasing us as a new role, new type of role in her acting career.

• Like 1

I'm really enjoying Hyo Joo's action scenes. Here you can see both the training for, and the final result of the most recent one with Shruti Hassan:

(Reposted from Treadstone's story yesterday on IG)

One thing I'm enjoying as I watch all of the background stuff coming out about Treadstone, and also just her posts themselves, is how excited and happy Hyo Joo looks. She has really enjoyed being in this series, and it shows.

Something I appreciate about this show is that there are quite a few female characters and they are all DIFFERENT. Sure, there's the hardheaded CIA lady, and the determined reporter, but there's also super loyal but also umm a bit obsessed and amoral Petra, there's Doug's wife who...yeah, she's um, interesting (vague cause spoilers), there's Shruti's character who seems to  be casually following her kill orders, and there's SoYun, who is just a person who loves her family more than anything, and has this terrifying mandate to kill coming from her suddenly. They're all different because PEOPLE are all different, and I appreciate that. People have different values, desires, talents, etc. in life. And there are all different ways that people (particularly women in this case) can be strong, not just one way. I personally find SoYun sympathetic because I would fight most for and sacrifice most for the people I love most in my life. (It's been a driving force in a few of HJ's other characters as well, and I guess that's why I like them.) Not everyone is driven in the same way, and that's okay. And that's why I like seeing the variety of female characters in this series. 

But since this is a Hyo Joo support thread in particular, So Yun fighting!

• Thanks 1