Han Hyo Joo 한효주 - [FIN: Happiness (2021) || NEXT: ThePirates: Goblin Flag (Jan 2022)]

bimini

Ah, yes, you're probably right. I like that they added a third power into the mix though because it kind of blurs the roles of who the true antagonists are.

Now if they'd release those damn posters they got approved weeks ago... Lol

If only it was Sunday night for me already! lol. I hope there'll be a live viewing link. I'm getting so excited thinking about the post-press conference TV spot interviews. Give me some tuna-whale moments :D

Kim Moo Yeol is the Intellegence group guy.

Jung Woo Sung’s presence tho, stood out as always.

Are we getting a longer trailer? I hope press conference pushes through on Monday, I’ll be working from home and will finish early so I can “spazz” lol.I miss Hyoooo.Hoping to see her in more promos, fun interviews, as we don’t know when is she gonna come out again after this movie. 

I looked at the crying scene photo,seems like I can see her bra strap, so might be a bed scene.Its a must, she has bed scenes in almost all her movies lol (Always, Love911, Beauty Inside). 

Guest kaz11

Yeah, JWS is a charismatic actor but after watching the trailer I am in it for the women so don't leave them out, WB, I already see the promo concentrating more on KDW and JWS. Which makes me a bit worried about the weight of HJ's character... but again, whatever her role is it will always be up to her to make the most of it. Yoonhee seems like an enigmatic character which is great. But I'm going to be honest and say that YR impressed me the most.

Guys, it could be a bed scene or a torture scene... but if it is indeed a bed scene will it be with tuna? lol. I wonder if she's going to be asked about it during the press con.

DftUOamUYAEQaHP.jpg

Photo: @AsianWiki on twitter

Keeping my fingers crossed she did amazingly here because this film is my cup of tea. It's SF, dystopian, dark, stylish. And she's not on the good side.

Am not leaving them out....i already mentioned them before. Right now am not talking about the role or the movie. Am just admiring jws....woman to man....coz he’s totally my type. Am not picking which roles seem better or cooler yet until i watch the full movie lol. I’ve been exploring the idea that pple dont only need to be crazy or displaying an action scene to look cool or strong. its hard but am trying. Its been changing the way i view movies and everyday life these days.

I dont really have any issue right now with kdw n jws having most of the teaser’s screen time because yeah if u are gonna advertise a movie....you’ll want ur trailer to be filled with what pple consider as “cool” so that they can come watch it. Most of the cool things( specifically the power suit and action) in this movie revolve around kdw and jws coz they are the inrang.  I will wait for the longer trailer to see if there’s more focus on not only the girls but other characters coz i like all the cast.

i also wonder if there’s even any good side here. One thing that was lacking in the anime was that they never explained the motive behind the terrorist groups and stuff. Why is the sect rebelling? Why do the police have to become wolves and act mercilessly? I hope they focus a bit on that here. If i can see the reasons why they do what they do then i can understand and maybe sympathize with all the supposed chaos.

Guest kaz11

@adamag I was addressing Warner Brothers (WB), not you. Also, I understand that that they would want promotions to concentrate on KDW since he’s the central character but HJ is the female lead, second in billing, too, so whether her character is not as cool or does not do any action scenes I hope she would be featured prominently. I would like to think that like the men, she is a box office draw herself. 

It’s a personal opinion, I am more interested in the Sect, HYR’s character and Lee Yoonhee. 

@kaz11 i’m with you in hoping for more of the women too. anyway talking about the crying scene, Baidu fans have been saying it might be the one where the female lead was eaten up by the wolves in the male lead’s imagination according to the anime so we’ll see.. but that scene stood out in the trailer for me.. 

@kaz11Ok sure. I misunderstood. They hardly showed anything about the sect in anime. I hope its different here. Of all the groups, the sect seem to be filled with ordinary everyday pple like young girls and boys to grown men and women. Am kinda leaning towards them a bit coz i fit in that category lol. 

@adeleyam ahhhh....if its really that scene....i think hyo’s facial expression looks too calm lol buh i dont know. But I remember that scene in the anime and how gruesome and bloody it was. I hope it does not appear as vivid in the movie coz i was highly terrified by it in the anime and wondering how someone can have such an imagination. I remember another scene where she’s in her house and lies on the floor looking sad...that might be the scene too but whichever it is...i am super curious and like you too, of all her shots in the movie the one where she was crying stood out to me too. 

Hyo is looking for action scenes. The car chase action scene is good but too bad she’s not the one driving. Kdw looks hurt with blood and all. So maybe she’ll take the wheels?  I really hope she gets a lil bit of action since she wants some. 

Too bad hyr is not gonna be there on monday. She and hyo seemed all cuddly in the video i saw them in. Hopefully she’s in other promo. If choi minho is promoting, she should too.

i havent seen a lot of presscons so am hoping someone with more experience can please enlighten me. Don’t they usually release posters for everyone who’s gonna be there and post it on the wall at their backs? I honestly thought we would get more posters by now. So for monday, the poster there would just be the one with kdw?

Also does anyone know what koreans’ reaction to the teaser are? Is it good, okay or bad? I dont know hangul and translating is time consuming lol. The few i have translated are salty and saying the suits look b list. They were comparing it to hollywood n i was like seriously?!! Hollywood movies have budgets twice or three times of what inrang has. Just wanna know if i just happened to translate the mean ones when there are a lot of other positive comments.

1 hour ago, adamag said:

Also does anyone know what koreans’ reaction to the teaser are? Is it good, okay or bad? I dont know hangul and translating is time consuming lol. The few i have translated are salty and saying the suits look b list. They were comparing it to hollywood n i was like seriously?!! Hollywood movies have budgets twice or three times of what inrang has. Just wanna know if i just happened to translate the mean ones when there are a lot of other positive comments.

Have been reading Korean reactions for a while on DC and other places. The response is overwhelmingly positive. People thought the trailer was pretty much wow. And over and over I see extremely impressed reactions on the whole cast list. Of course you have some people who are very emotionally tied to the original anime and are skeptical that a live remake could do it justice. (I think this reaction would be the same anywhere.) And you have a few people who are a little nervous about what subtext it might send about North-South Korea in the current political climate. I saw someone today asking what the rating is going to be (based on the director's past work, particularly I Saw the Devil). Yes, I've seen a comment here or there about the outfits looking like cosplay suits, but I think it's reasonable to see a full range of reactions, positive and negative, to a large movie. A few questions about the ending of HJ's character--given the director's past history, and the original script, they don't think it would be reasonable for a happy ending there...I don't think they need to worry on that one, given the director's past history and the original script, as I said. (imdb.com lists that death as one of the reasons for the strong rating the original movie received). 

As to who they are featuring and playing up (ie the male actors), you have to look at it from a Korean perspective and not from outside the culture. Korean movies do tend to be VERY male-centric, and that is simply the way it is. They are advertising most heavily the elements who are going to bring in the viewers. I cannot tell you how many enthusiastic comments I have seen from viewers who cannot wait to see their oppa on screen (and in this case, it's definitely more than one oppa--KDW overwhelmingly, yes, but also JWS and Minho). A few fans specifically list HJ as their reason for watching, but it's mostly all about the guys. Also mad respect for the director. But even though it's about the guys for many viewers, they're seriously impressed with the entire cast ensemble, including HJ. I've seen very few negative comments about her (the usual stupid ones that have nothing to do with acting). 

I think the movie will do well. The existing ensemble (cast + director + existing source material) is advertising in and of itself.

• Like 1

Guest kaz11

@adeleyam thanks, mvp! :D I used to go to baidu in the past for updates, more than I did with DC lol, because you guys are always fast and insightful. And it’s a challenge to comprehend Korean using GT.

@frozentundra thank you for your insightful post. That’s my problem, not just with movies but also with dramas. How everything is almost male-centric down to promo, on the mainstream. If CMH promotes I hope HYR does, as well. But during Cold Eyes HJ was promoted well, and you had a famous and established movie star JWS and an acting heavyweight SKG, with her. She went to BIFF and had a stage all by herself and hundreds of fans flocked to see her. You actually felt she is the central character and Zip cinema did a wonderful job, but then Zip has Eugene Lee, a lady producer. 

Yes, mad respect to the filmmaker. The names attached and the material are already enough to get me excited but that trailer is something. EVERYONE looks good. 

@kaz11 I didn't realize it at the time, but now that I have seen a lot more films, I rather think Cold Eyes was an anomaly. She really is the main character in that film, and it did very well. The fact that it was an action-based film STARRING a female AND it did well are both really unusual. (At least, HJ and also many others have commented on the difficulty of getting a female-centric film to do well in Korea.) As far as I can tell from  the source material, she isn't the main character in Inrang, so of course she isn't going to be the main person promoted here. And there are multiple heavyweight male actors/roles. Yes, there's a bit of a love line, and yes, it affects the main plot in making the male lead waiver from his attachment to the wolves. But it's not the only thing happening in the movie, there are all of these other factions as well, and so the promo is going to focus on all of those other elements as needed. I don't think they've forgotten her, and like I said, her name does get included when people list how impressed they are with the cast list. But the fan bases for these male actors are massive, like overwhelmingly so. And so it makes sense to advertise to those people. 

Guest kaz11

I never said they’ve forgotten her. I’m just hoping for equal or fair treatment, especially for Yeri, such an underrated actress, as I address the producers and distributors. Well, it’s totally fine to want to advertise to fanbases but I don’t think this is the number one factor in determining the B.O. success of a film, it’s still the casual moviegoers liking what they saw. Golden Slumber failed. 

Cheer up, @kaz11. They're not done advertising yet. :) And while yes, the existing fan bases are a driving force, the trailer itself seems to have made quite an impact on the casual filmgoers. People were impressed by the trailer, and for casual moviegoers, that seemed like the thing that definitely got their interest. 

As for GS, hm, well, I am not someone working in marketing or the movie industry, but speaking just as a casual moviegoer myself, I don't think they did a very good job marketing that one at all. It seemed they were so controlling over what people were allowed to post about it, but then in the end they did so little marketing themselves, and so late in the game, that it wasn't high on people's list of anticipated films to start out with. Also, it's a nice movie, but some storylines just are bigger than others. Nothing wrong with that, we'd get exhausted if every story was equally huge. But it was just a smaller story about a guy on the run. (Literally, running was the thing that occupied the most screen time.) Of course you felt sorry for this guy who was falsely accused. But in a way it lacked some things that really grip your heart and make it hard to let go. (That is only my opinion, obviously others may feel differently, and that's totally fine. It was well done for what it was.) 

Guest kaz11

Oh I’m chill @frozentundra lol. If you are a fan of actresses it’s but normal to hope for fair treatment. I only have two actresses that I follow and I am way more worried for HJ when it comes to this. 

I am more excited for the media screening and press conference. I can’t wait for the critics’ reaction to the film. 

GS promo was very bad. Articles were saying the same thing everytime and the one woman they had in their movie wasnt even in most of the little promo they have. Beaides dont wven know who thought it was a good idea to go head to head with black panther.

@frozentundra oh that’s good! Glad to know i just came across the salty ones. I think with the teaser, some of my worries about inrang standing on its own amongst the other big movies opening has been cleared.

@kaz11 i did not apologise before for misreading your post lol becoz my big head still thought that some of the fault was from the way you phrased the sentence.  But now one of my friends read the post and is like “she was totally referring to WB not you.” Lol.  I am sorry:(. I knw you’ll say its no big deal but i am someone who believes in apologizing wen wrong:D. Its a habit.

i wonder if there’s a small(very small)  chance hyo might not die. You know there were two pics released at the end of shooting. One was official and one wasnt. The guy who posted the unofficial one deleted it  but it was too late lol. This unofficial one seems to be the pic from the very last scene or shoot and in it hyojoo is looking well n not like someone who just shot a death scene lol. But then again...it could be an imagination scene or whatever so yeah. The chances are still pretty slim. As for me, i want her to die.

• Like 1

Guest kaz11
1 hour ago, adamag said:

i wonder if there’s a small(very small)  chance hyo might not die. You know there were two pics released at the end of shooting. One was official and one wasnt. The guy who posted the unofficial one deleted it  but it was too late lol. This unofficial one seems to be the pic from the very last scene or shoot and in it hyojoo is looking well n not like someone who just shot a death scene lol. But then again...it could be an imagination scene or whatever so yeah. The chances are still pretty slim. As for me, i want her to die.

Unless they filmed scenes chronologically. This is an ambitious project and I would imagine them to film scenes not in chronological order and even re-shoot some scenes depending on the director... but man, I am all for a strong, less commercial and perhaps ambiguous ending, then it will have more emotional impact.

ETA: found this... 

Spoiler

Kei, during a crucial scene in the movie, cries to Fuse, uttering the line from Little Red Riding Hood: “Mother, what big claws you have! Mother, what big teeth you have!” All the while, Fuse is screaming in anguish as he finds himself forced to either shoot the woman he now loves or turn his back on his fellow Panzer Cops. It’s all pretty bleak stuff.

Fourth SC, I thought it was tuna, lol, MH looks good.

Haha that’s also another factor to keep in mind. As for me, i hate ambiguous endings because i spend years writting different scripts in my head on what happens after lol:D:D....its problematic. But am ready to accept whatever is required to make the movie have the emotional impact that it needs.

cant wait to see hyo on monday..(sunday here so tomorrow) 

37 minutes ago, kaz11 said:

ETA: found this... 

Hide contents

Kei, during a crucial scene in the movie, cries to Fuse, uttering the line from Little Red Riding Hood: “Mother, what big claws you have! Mother, what big teeth you have!” All the while, Fuse is screaming in anguish as he finds himself forced to either shoot the woman he now loves or turn his back on his fellow Panzer Cops. It’s all pretty bleak stuff.

I thought you didnt want spoilers lol if not i would have mentioned this. The story of little red riding hood is told in the anime as a voice over by hyo’s character. Thats why she wears red most of the time. Indeed she says that before he does the unforgivable deed.

Spoiler

and then jws character says: “and the wolf ate up little red riding hood.

Come to think of it. Jws and hyo are enemies again in this film lol.

Guest kaz11

To be fair (to me, lol) you girls already mentioned that he would kill her. JWS' s character seems cold. I also cannot wait for tomorrow night, it's Saturday afternoon here. I'll be counting on you all for live updates, lol, I have a party to attend and will just peek on here ^_^

"Come to think of it. Jws and hyo are enemies again in this film lol."

-- And they'll probably act the best of friends again during press con, lol. Also, don't disappoint me tuna-whale! ;p Haha