[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Mirror: A Tale of Twin Cities 镜双城

sugarplum892

another character intro , about female lead

+4 songs

after epi 5 when the flashback ends , the story unwraps and the current timeline are invader occupation , which is a mirror of how the previous kingdom invaded and destroyed the mermaid people kingdom , upsetting the triangle balance

there were forced into hibernation and only a handful of survivors can live like vampires

their people all seem to be immortal , easily few hundred years

my initial assessment of this drama 6/10 could be wrong , this story can potentially play out very well

Spoiler

12 episodes in; this show is really bad. I don't even mind the cheap props since I'm used to a lot of budget historical dramas like that, but the directing of the show is horrendous. Sometimes, it's far too zoomed in and we can't see the action properly or the cut is just so jarring everwhere. 

The chemistry between the main leads is also non existent. NON EXISTENT. They just love to gloomily stare at each other all day long and even in the flashbacks there was no attraction. The female lead is so depressing to watch and there's just a lack of vitality to her character. The writing for their relationship is so forced. They like each other just because the writer says so. 

CGI is bad, but that's a given. Most chinese dramas are like that. 

• Like 3

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Mirror: A Tale of Twin Cities 镜双城
  • SC2019 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama] Mirror: A Tale of Twin Cities 镜双城

I think the script is pretty wild and illogical.

"hey guys we are in the middle of a war, there are only 8 of us survivors left , lets go into enemy territory just to look at flowers and play with the locals while making a wish."

commendable that some characters use original actor voice dub

more behind-the-scene clips

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Spoiler

the show concluded last night
I rate it 4.8/10 overall
production value = 4.3 /10
good songs = 0.5 additional points

they have all the appropriate technology , props , setting ..... but very bad script
"half" of the land people are missing because they gone into the matrix hibernation , very lazy way to reduce calefare actors although somewhat appropriate for filming in pandemic
feels very empty as their empire reduced to only 8 person , even 伟小宝 had more companions trying to reinstate their ming dynasty

bad ending typical of 小女花不弃 , 斛珠夫人 .... the male lead didn't survive but the script forcefully bring him back for a single scene to hint he survive without explanation
since 天醒之路 i noticed they like to use this filming technique where the actor actress film green-screen in perfect illumination of their face + costume and superimpose it onto a digital blurry background which is usually a hard-to-reach place (desert or sea coast)
it's to save money not bringing the entire filming crew to the location
i think they used it here at the coast scenes , there wasn't any shot of them continuous from head to toe with floor objects (sand rock waves) , the camera frame cutoff from waist upwards
the zoom out scenes with drone height they used back view or far away ....... body double not the expensive actor actress ...... probably less than 10 filming crew went there as minor B filming team

• LOL 2

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] Mirror: A Tale of Twin Cities 镜双城
  • 6 months later...