[Taiwanese Drama 2020] Lost Romance 浪漫輸給你

0ly40

29 minutes ago, Yseia said:

@songielove Off-topic & Unpopular Opinion:

Hide contents

Oh God, I couldn't stand Eugenie Liu's acting in BYS, the drama and ensemble was great but her portrayal of the quintessential Cinderella/ wide-eyed ingenue had me rolling my eyes so hard. (I'm so sorry to her fans *peace sign*) Nobody is that wide-eyed all the time or that naive... Maybe because it was one of her earlier projects? But she was a hard no for me in that drama.

I know the character was written that way and she had to bring that character to life but yeah... as I said, unpopular opinion :sweat:

Spoiler

Oh ... BYS ... i tried to watch it 4 times. Love Marcus in that drama. Was intrigued by Eugenie Liu's character at the beginning but later on, as hard as I tried,  I couldn't continue with the drama because of her wide eye acting. Her expressions are always the same and it was so cringy after awhile.  I dropped it 4x and never finish it. Don't think I even made it half way.  I thought she had some neuro problems initially that caused her to behave that way in the character but it wasn't.  Too bad. They could have written her character better. 

It literally spoils my image of Eugenie Liu acting. Because each time I watch her other  dramas, the image of her wide eye n looking dumb in BYS character came up in my brain and I couldn't watch any dramas with her in it. 

• Like 3

@songielove No worries! It's passion project of mine to do translations, so I'll probably do some from time to time when some interesting stuff comes up. Marcus is pretty fun and adorable with Vivian, so I'm sure there will be more in the future. It is hard work sometimes, but not if it's a funny segment! Haha, I also agree with you - am Shipping Marcus and Simon because they have a lot of chemistry  in real life and I think Simon is more jealous of Vivian's friendship with Marcus than Qing Feng is of Aoran by his constantly hissing at her :joy:

@Yseia I wish we could see more of a natural friendship between the guy characters too, but I also understand they're written as the 'perfect' romance book cool guys. I have to say even though there's not so much bromance I really appreciate that Qing Feng is painted as a character that seems to understand his friend's feelings and thoughts quite naturally. I guess at least it makes their friendship still look strong.

Can't remember who mentioned the siblings, but yeh, it would be interesting if they made an appearance in the story world also. I don't mind the drama as it has been, but I feel like it would marry the two plot lines together if the siblings were in the story world. I feel like they might be at some point given how many episodes are left.

Off- Topic replies

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Anjali Punia said:

I do like Simon but you see Marcus Chang is the only one has had me infatuated with him so bad. Since back to 1989

I have watched so many dramas and have never been so smitten with any other actor like him.

@Anjali Punia Haha, I totally understand this feeling! (This is my feeling for Jasper Liu, but I know a lot of people like you who have this infatuation with Marcus Chang!) I also started being a Marcus fan from Back to 1989. It's been one of my favourite Taiwanese dramas so far, as well as my favourite Marcus project and he was really cute with his (at the time real life) girlfriend Ivy Shao (Zhen Zhen).

@Yseia @cheekychipmunk_stv Wow! I have the same feelings towards Behind Your Smile & Eugenie Liu's character - I thought I was the only one!!! I did think the story line was interesting. But I spent a majority of the time feeling really annoyed at Eugenie Liu's character - she does improve a tiny bit, but yeah I could never get over how annoying and naive she was. Kind of reminds me of Chuchu, haha. And even though it was not Eugenie Liu's fault, her character actually put me off engaging in her projects for awhile. But then I saw her in Triad Princess (which I watched for Jasper Liu) and was impressed by how cool she was - i really liked the first season. I'd recommend it if you want to see her in a more cooler role. But totally agree, her character was also a hard no for me in BYS. I know a lot of people liked the series and it's each to their own (no offence to BYS fans - haha we just have different tastes and you probably hate my favourite dramas). I guess I like female characters with more of a backbone, who are less girly and have a cooler, tougher attitude and street smarts.

• Like 3

@JenL OMG, Simon's hissy fits are the best hahaha. I agree the Taiwan fandom culture is one of the better ones, the actors are more free to interact and clown around with each other and that's really refreshing to see. Haha, at this point I think Simon's happier to have more scenes with Marcus than with Xiao En, lelz

Re: Siblings, isn't Tian Jian supposed to appear in the Comic world? At least that's what they said in previous interviews if I remember correctly. I'm wondering when he'll come out tho...

Off-topic Series:

Spoiler

@cheekychipmunk_stv & @JenL

I ended up fast forwarding all her scenes except for those inevitable ones when she's needed to understand the story :sweat_smile:

I love Back to 1989! It's also one of my fave Marcus projects and in the list of my fave Taiwan dramas as well, hehehe

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I died today btw coz Simon has done an ad for Swarovski Taiwan where he pretends to be your boyfriend begging you not to be mad at him and gifting you with some fine crystals. Those for the Marcus x Simon bromance ship, the top comment on instagram is from Marcus who tells Simon this is very cool. Hahaha, Marcus =  his #1 supporter. I've put the ad up on my Youtube channel with English Subs. Hopefully it won't be blocked, but so far it's only been released on Simon's socials.

@Yseia Haha, agreed!! Simon's hissy fits are so cute because he is possessive for his Marcus (aren't we all though? XD) He probably tries to get more bromantic scenes with Marcus than romantic scenes with Vivian! Taiwanese fan culture is for sure more healthier - I've been to some fan meets in Taiwan before and the fans were nice - made presents for other fans and everyone was supportive of their idols, but not obsessively so! Ah, yes, I thought they would bring in the sibling/s since they're such main antagonists.

@Feby Valentiya Ah makes sense. Your comment reminded me of a post I saw on Mader Funda's instagram which seemed to indicate that something would go down with the brother. One commenter of this picture said Situ Moran v Aoran...so I should have guessed he would be a character in the story world.

NDtADv4.png

Off Topic Replies 

Spoiler

@Yseia @cheekychipmunk_stv Haha, wow! The annoyance must have been deeeeep to do the fast forwarding, but you probably had a better viewing experience than us though! I tried really hard to focus on the story line and Marcus. But my strong sense of annoyance at the female lead overshadows any memory I have of enjoying the series, so I have an aversion it and I only talk about it when I need an example of a female character I'm not a fan of, haha.

Yay! You have very good taste! (Haha, probably because we share similar sentiments about tw shows). Yeah, the actual story, the retro look and feel of Back to 1989 and the cast chemistry on-screen and off was so pleasant. The characters were likeable and relatable as well. So much nostalgia.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was really wondering whether siblings will appear in novel.

The theme opening song does indicate that the brother will appear . May be sister won't and the brother would be enough .

I think the brother in the real world is much more smarter and cunning than sister.

He is not taking sides it seems and is testing the waters.

4 hours ago, JenL said:

Off- Topic replies

Hide contents

@Anjali Punia Haha, I totally understand this feeling! (This is my feeling for Jasper Liu, but I know a lot of people like you who have this infatuation with Marcus Chang!) I also started being a Marcus fan from Back to 1989. It's been one of my favourite Taiwanese dramas so far, as well as my favourite Marcus project and he was really cute with his (at the time real life) girlfriend Ivy Shao (Zhen Zhen).

@Yseia @cheekychipmunk_stv Wow! I have the same feelings towards Behind Your Smile & Eugenie Liu's character - I thought I was the only one!!! I did think the story line was interesting. But I spent a majority of the time feeling really annoyed at Eugenie Liu's character - she does improve a tiny bit, but yeah I could never get over how annoying and naive she was. Kind of reminds me of Chuchu, haha. And even though it was not Eugenie Liu's fault, her character actually put me off engaging in her projects for awhile. But then I saw her in Triad Princess (which I watched for Jasper Liu) and was impressed by how cool she was - i really liked the first season. I'd recommend it if you want to see her in a more cooler role. But totally agree, her character was also a hard no for me in BYS. I know a lot of people liked the series and it's each to their own (no offence to BYS fans - haha we just have different tastes and you probably hate my favourite dramas). I guess I like female characters with more of a backbone, who are less girly and have a cooler, tougher attitude and street smarts.

Spoiler

I love Jasper in Before We Get Married with Puff Kuo is hot hot hot. The sexual tension is like kaboom whenever they appear on screen together. Don't even need them to kiss to sizzle on screen ... them just near each other n the way Jasper look at Puff Kuo in the drama ... wow!   We can find the same chemistry between Dilraba & Johnny in Love in Advanced Customization. These 2 couple ... we can just watch them sizzle on screen without much storyline and we are still happy about it. :joy:

• Like 1

That's a good point! I have not read wiki, but I think Sanli also mentions the brother's double roles in his character description. I did wonder about his significance in the opening and I think that may have had some influence on how I saw him in Ep01. I still question his part in Tian Xing's fall. If Situ Moran appears, he would be the first real person to have insider on both Tian Xing and Aoran.

Off-topic XD

Spoiler

@Yseia @cheekychipmunk_stv 

@JenL I'm the one with the unpopular opinion! :joy: No, not kidding haha. Many viewers also had trouble with BYS, referencing Eugenie's acting. I agree, she wasn't as strong an actor, but that never bothered me; she fit the role to a T for me. Her character had quite strength that ran throughout the show and no matter how "girly" or "fragile" she was written to be, I always felt Eugenie's spunk show through. Her character was really beautiful to me. And so was Marcus! It's my favorite performance of his so far, as I personally think he shines in melodrama (seeing a lot of his character in BYS in He Tian Xing). I'm sure it's a personal taste because, likewise, I had issues with Back to 1989. I adored the vintage setting and liked the premise, but just couldn't get into it. Again, crossing worlds/time is not my usual cup of tea. But maybe I'll be geared up for anything after Lost Romance:hwaiting2:

Ep07 was slower-paced than the previous episodes, but I'm really like the turn of events. Definitely, this scene was the highlight of the episode. I was heartbroken for Xiao En. I especially love the shot of Aoran stepping into his own dark and empty house. Again, the music was so well placed. Remember to turn on captions.

Cr. Sanlih

I have to get this off my chest. Normally, I'd find a character like Xiao En (in the novel) a nuisance. Well of course, she's only a side character. :P But there's so much charm to her and this scene of her last meal sums it up perfectly. In her spite and misery, she still drops everything for Aoran's well being. If I was him, I would have fallen for Xiao En with what she said when she found him. Really heartwarming, no wonder she does what does in the real world for a living. But honestly, I'm not sure if it's because it's Vivian. She's such a joy to watch (and be around!).

Also, old hubby and wifey are hosting a free screening of movie "A Choo" to thank fans. So sweet!

https://www.facebook.com/202862189917933/posts/1318095788394562/

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2948198018642022&id=440923442702838

• Like 3

So I have been quietly following this show and just had to make a few comments after ep 7

Spoiler

So, my take is that Aoran has fallen for her, he just isn't willing to admit it or even allow himself to believe that he has. The reason that I say so is that the show does not show him spending any time thinking about Chu Chu, most of his thoughts and energy is spent on Xiao An. "What is Xiao An doing?" "Why is she saying this?" "Where is she going?"...etc. She clearly occupies his thoughts and feelings more than Chu Chu, even when his is with Chu Chu he is thinking about Xiao An. But it is clear that he is not willing to let himself admit how he truly feels. Why? It is because she does not fit his ideal of what he thinks he should like. Chu Chu is his ideal, and fits his idea of the kind of girl he should like. But she does not cause him to think about her all hours of the night, miss her, or anything else. Chu Chu is a bit of an after thought, even when he thinks that Xiao An is plotting against her. All of his energy goes into Xiao An and not Chu Chu. I can see him torn between the two, particularly if he has never been in love before...So later in the show Aoran is going to be very confused and be going back and forth while he tried to sort out his emotions. 

But with how our second lead is starting to come on strong, I do have a theory on how the story will flow....

Since the title of the story is "Lost Romance" I speculate that perhaps that in our Novel world Aoran is going to miss out of his true love with Xiao An due to his actions along with other factors and she will end up with the second lead. As a result, when he gets back to the real world and he sees her again, he will be reminded of the lost his lost and will go and get her in the real world. 

Plus, I have been wondering if the brother has more to do with his coma than what has let on. They have purposely not shown him getting pushed...so there is more than what they have let on. 

• Like 3

Just posting a cute ad for the series :) I'm going to reply to everything- with episode 7 opinions - tomorrow since I think more people will have had a chance to watch Episode 7 fully subbed on Viki by then.

More pictures of Simon's Swarovski advertising if any Qing Feng fans are interested.

The ad itself is above or you can also view in link too: 

https://thesedramaticdays.blogspot.com/2020/07/pictures-simon-lian-for-swarovski.html

kPFDnZE.jpg

• Where's My Oppa? 1

1 hour ago, JenL said:

I'll write my replies later, just posting a cute ad for the series :)

EEEEEEE!!! Why they gotta be so cute! :heartxoxo:

@songielove totes agree with your thoughts! and isn't it telling to see him still wanna go with Xiao En to fix the circuit breaker even if he is holding the rose light...

@guinearoyal I like where your theory is going and I was actually wondering what happened to the drone, Xiao En used to stalk her CEO. 'Coz if she had the controls, where's the actual cam & drone set-up? They never showed that she retrieved it after witnessing him fall...

Off-topic Series:

Spoiler

@cheekychipmunk_stv Whee! me too! Was a bit late to that party but super love Before We Get Married! I was happy I got to binge watch it, coz I don't think I'd survive the chemistry AND the 1 episode/ week wait hahaha  :love:

• Like 1

@guinearoyal Your theory about "lost romance" title and Xiaoen endup with 2nd lead really interesting.

Or it can be, Aoran will be realize his feeling and end up with Xiaoen on novel world, as we know on ending song, they look cute together 'cake' scene :) But after Moran appeared, Xiaoen will realize that she need to go back to real world. And she need to sacrifice her life in Novel world (as we know when Xiaoen hurt in Novel will be affect her body in real world) maybe she need to die. So Aoran will be lost his love a.k.a Xiaoen in novel world. And when He Tianxing wake up from coma he will lost his memory only Xiaoen who will remember what she did in novel world.

• Like 2

Well I was going to write my posts over the weekend but then Soompi forums went down...so just copy and pasting thoughts I wrote on another forum:

-Damn those He siblings are being played. Can't believe they don't realise that every time they're discussing the company, Uncle Hu comes in and says something to make them fight. But I guess they grew up with him and you never suspect the ones next to you.

- I felt disappointed that after the whole massive confession, Aoran still goes back to 'liking' Chuchu and suspecting Xiao En. Also Xiao En moving out of his house means less holding hands in the dark. It felt like a step back after some development, although it does make sense he would be in denial about his feelings for her.

-Haha, I like when Aoran hands Xiao En the money, he says, "It's the part of me you like the most"

-I like that Qing Feng knows Xiao En better than Aoran and speaks up on her behalf. He has observed her sincerity and he knows there's more to her that meets the eye. But he's also doing that second lead thing which he'll regret later - making her look appealing to Aoran! I've seen the trailer for the next episode and it kills me that he's holding Xiao En while she's crying - literally a shoulder to cry on, but will be tosed aside when Aoran makes a move :(

@guinearoyal I like your theory - I think it makes sense that Aoran is in denial about his feelings because he's been made to think the perfect girl is a certain way. On Xiao En and Qing Feng = I think it'd be a great way to handle such a strong second lead in the story...but I also feel like they're just going to end up in the story world too. But maybe something will happen in the real world that affects the story world.

@Feby Valentiya That's also a really good theory. I wonder if Moran will discover Xiao En's secret and use it against them all. Since his appearance still hasn't happened in the story world, it makes me think he will be the cause of Xiao En leaving.

Off Topic

Spoiler

@cheekychipmunk_stv @Yseia Haha yes, Before We Get Married was a very popular intense drama! I'm a big fan of both Jasper Liu and Puff Kuo, so I enjoyed the series. I do like their first project, a light-hearted drama called Pleasantly Surprised better, but I liked Before We Get Married  for the intense (!) passion between those 2, and also because the story made for a meaningful and interesting discussion on relationships, morals, human behaviour etc. Dramas can be deep! 

• Like 2

Also for those curious about Qing Feng's flames, there's another picture of them - from Simon's instagram pic. Not sure if they hold a great significance or just symbolic - It's kind of like the rings that were animated around Chu Chu and Aoran's feet last time. 

mGePIwW.jpg

Saw the raw for do 8. 

Boy Qingfeng seems to be doing what second leads to make FL appealing to ML.

As for Aoran he seems to have started trusting Xioen. He was not worried when QF told him She has gone to Chu Chu.

Something is wrong. I think ChuChu is not innocent as it seems. 

I feel she is hidden mastermind for something .She could be not so good in real world as well.

Those He siblings are dumb.

I don't know why Mingli cried in front of her unconscious stepbrother 

Lol I don't understand the language. I have just seen enough dramas That I can figure out what's going on .

Waiting for Wednesday apparently Thursday for Subs.

I feel flames signify Characters burning out pre written feelings and developing their own

Also it seems QF has sort of figured out something relating to novel world.

He probably will be the first one to figure out with Xiao En always saying novel related stuff so frequently in front of him.

Preview .aww. oh my god.

The story is taking the turn 

• Like 3

@Ayame Haha haven't watched the raw yet, but dayyyymmmm. That Ep. 9 preview you posted is killing me!! Will have to ep. 8 tonight just so I can watch that preview :joy:

I have a feeling that a lot of girls are gushing over Qing Feng because that Simon Lien ad that I subbed (above) just jumped 800 views in a few hours!! 

• Like 1

Ok so just watched Episode 8. Usually I like to wait till late in the week to write my thoughts, but it's exciting this week, so I'll put my main thoughts under the spoiler tag. Let's just say Qing Feng is coming on strong!

@Anjali Punia I think you're right the flames seem to signify that Qing Feng is developing a sense of consciousness - developing his thoughts and personality as opposed to doing what the author wills him to do. Yep, it seems Aoran is more trusting of Xiao En now. I'm not sure if Chu Chu will be bad, they seem to have put her into the 'good friend role,' but I still wouldn't rule out my original idea that she gets jealous and turns into the second lead when her girlfriend position is taken. Whenever I watch the He siblings, I wish one of them would mention Uncle He. Then maybe they would click and realise the glaring truth

Spoiler

Wowww...they're really playing with the second lead syndrome in this series. Loving that Qing Feng is not sitting back and being a noble idiot. Because there's nothing more frustrating than watching a series where the second lead likes the main girl, but then is wayyy too subtle and does nothing and the main girl never knows - though I guess Xiao En is more clued in about this stuff. This episode had a lot of cute moments with Qing Feng and Xiao En - the comforting during the crying scene, the trying to stop Xiao En from torturing herself about Aoran at the beach, and the flirting at the maid cafe. I also think that after the flames - Qing Feng does seem to have more of his own personality and sarcasm, not because he's saying things that Xiao En says, but that he's more playful and less perfectly rigid as a character which Aoran still kind of is. Qing Feng has turned into more of an an actual person. So far they have been really cute!

I've grown really fond of Xiao En, but it did annoy me when she was doing that self-pitying thing at the beach. I think her going on and on about what they're doing at the fun fair seemed kind of whiney and out of character?  It feels like her character should have been dragging Qing Feng to stalk the date! But maybe they didn't want it to be too similar to the hot springs episode. I'm glad Qing Feng pretty much told her to get her act together For Her Own Self. It's kind of like she told Chu Chu - You don't need a man, you need some dignity, girl!

A very big part of me would like to see them really mess with the romance tropes and make Xiao En and Qing Feng the main couple in the story world, and then Tian Xing and Xiao En the real world. But I know they probably won't given the lead actors and it'll be Xiao En and Aoran from next episode onwards. Xiao En and Aoran will also be good as they'll probably have pretty intense chemistry once it moves to that (though I'll be so sad for Qing Feng). Looking at the trailer, looks like the stakes are raised next week and that will push the domineering side of Aoran to admit his feelings. I hope realising his feelings will make him develop more of an individual personality too - Aoran is kind of 'too perfect' with his looks and money, and not showing his emotions, that it would be nice to see him have more fun (But hey they give us that clip in the break where Vivian and Marcus are being playful while baking, so there's hope yet!) Normally, if I really like the main couple, I'd feel slightly annoyed they'd been kept not very close for this long (If you've ever watched the Korean drama, My First First Love, you'll know!)...But Qing Feng is so adorable and also has a fun chemistry with Xiao En, that I'm enjoying the ride! (Haha, and let's not mention having a massive crush on Simon Lien.)

• Like 2

Ooooohhh... we finally have movement! On both ends! :glee:

Towards the same trajectory though, but still hooray for momentum hahaha. I'mma just spazz here for a bit... don't mind me, lelz. IF you haven't watched episode 8 yet, beware the spoiler tag down below

Spoiler

Yey for Qingfeng getting his act together early and finally moving his pace along. Here's to hoping he won't get shunted off the main arena anytime soon.  Hopefully Episode 9 will move the story along faster.

:approves:

And baby bro finally makes his entrance in the novel world, shocking Xiao En into a faint... I'm thinking tho that maybe he was the misunderstood child in all of this (whether it was in their real world or even possibly the novel world). The classic example of being stuck between a rock and a hard place? My take on it is, he likes Aoran/ Tian Xing and doesn't really care about the enmity the family is prone to heaping on him but because of some reason (whether they are half/ step sibs or his complicity when some incident happened) he's stuck between blood family and the brother he likes more than his full blood relations (at least in the real world, not sure yet how their dynamics are gonna be in the novel, can't wait to see it unfold tho).

@JenL I know right? How come they don't see the wolf in sheep's clothing hiding in plain sight? Uncle Hu better have a really good or even just a halfway believable reason why he wants to topple the He Family so bad... At this point he's so one dimensionally created, it's not worth delving into anymore. On the other hand, the He family dynamics are getting more interesting now as we're finally shown a thread of humanity from vindictive queen  Ming Li when she has a mini break down on Tian Xing's bedside. For her, hindsight is always 50/50, now she's lamenting taking down their family's strongest pillar...

:Furious:

I'm so happy we got more bromance scenes this episode! QF is ever the knight in shining armor, hahaha, I like the fact that it's not exclusive to XE and he also helps out AR and CC as well. And yes to QF's awareness growing and getting even deeper as he sees his answers mirrored by AR.

And looks like you're right @Anjali Punia about those flames and them making their reappearance :thumbsup:

Aoran, at long last, hahaha... You're feelings might've been hidden so deep in the closet it took them awhile to come out for air :joy: Well, now that they've surfaced, I hope they don't get scared of this new experience and hide away again soon. 

Love! Love! Love! the entire Cat Themed Maid Cafe cut with QF resorting to blackmail tactics to get XE to "act cute" hahaha, the sarcastic "miaos" were the best :cutekitty:

Things are rolling along nicely and getting steamy based on Episode 9's preview... Love the acroyoga of QF and XE and I wonder what prompted AR to go from blockhead extraordinaire to jealous boyfriend in 0-60secs :joy:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JenL said:

I think you're right the flames seem to signify that Qing Feng is developing a sense of consciousness - developing his thoughts and personality as opposed to doing what the author wills him to do. 

Spoiler

I read some people imaging QF being part of TX's mind what would make kind of sense. QF being the part that falls for XE, while others probably be an other part of his mind.
But the idea him starting to become real is also very intruging even though I wouldn't prefer it since it wouldn't end well since there is no way out for him.

• Like 2