[Drama 2020] Postpartum Care Center, 산후조리원

larus

@balletgoddess yeah Dong Yi was a drama I was interested in watching but the LENGTH and time committment at the time was hard for me. I have watched some Taiwanese dramas here and there but not a ton. This one ISWAK is a classic that I do know. If I get a chance I would like to.

This drama Post Partum Care Center is really good. Watching ep 2 and seeing who the Queen Bee of the group is after having twins. LOL real life working woman ra ra executive of our FL is out the window NOT effective in this group/cliches.

Since I am not married and I have no kids, I have found this interesting. Granted I have heard stories from many of my married friends with kids. But this one is very eye opening and I love that this topic is explored.

I love Yoon Park and seeing the male POV about being there for the wife and the wearing "brown" to not stand out. His lovely hyung nim who took him under his wing and then leaving him and the center. Parting is such sweet sorrow. LOL. Was definitely funny.

This NEW rebel mom who refuses to breast feed is trying to turn around the group dynamics. Shall definitely be INTERESTING. 

This drama is definitely has its moments but I love it balances Kairos and Penthouse for me. Sad that 18 Again is ending, loving this drama that is worthy of LOTS of love.

Hope more can join us here.

• Like 4

Done watching the episodes. Drollery! I mean...yeah episode 1 after they were released from the hospital.

Interesting indeed like dark humor and seriousness combined.

There's humor to the seriousness the drama gives. And daddy bromance ( even did montage). The writer  showed contrast for a first time father and one that been through the process four times already. 

The first time mother = "caboose' at age 40  and that of the  the other moms particularly 'Sarang's' mother who's  a "first class" = breastfeed for 2 years, naturally gave birth to twins, sacrifice, spent a long time raising them.  

The scene where Glue Sticks mother and Sarang's mother ( cos that's how they're referred to) argued about what becoming mother means and what it entails..  they're both right. Whether you're a full time mom or a working mom... In real life, it is the hardest job but most rewarding especially if the chil/dren becomes good person.

So Glue Stick's mom (Hyu Jin) having hard time lactating. They thought of bait method. I thought for sure when the nurses thought of way how the baby can suckle milk, they would give the baby to another mother that can produce the milk needed. I'm glad it's not that way.   Breastfeeding is no joke and if one is unable to do it right it leads not so good emotional state of mother's mind.   

I like those facial expressions of Hyun Jin a Eun Jung.  You can see how these two mothers are with their emotive faces. A smirk, a smile, a pout, raised eyebrows.  You sense their emotions..

I like the husband because him being a first time father tries hard to understand the wife, tries to do everything make it it easier.  Gotta credit fist time father, it's also new experience for them. 

And then there's the new mother coming to the center. A rebel one. Primadonna by the looks of it. First time mother who's birth probably derails her active lifestyle activities.    I feel like she's going clash more with Eun Jung  aka Sarang's Mother (character of Park Ha Sun)

The ending scene though. Oh no... Glue Stick has a different mother? What? How?

cr: @

cr:@

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah thanks @jongski for joining! Good to see you here friend! 

Thanks for your write up. Totally agree the perspectives of all moms/dads was there and I agree the bromance montage was on point.

We need more people in this forum! Glad you joined us to watch this great drama.

• Like 2

Birthcare Center: Episodes 1-2 (Review)

by missvictrix

BCC0102_1.jpg

I came to Birthcare Center with not much more than an inkling of the plot (mothers at a ritzy postpartum care center) and the fact that it was a female-led cast. Well, the drama is exactly that — but so much more. Comedy? Thriller? Healing drama? Horror? Mock horror? Check all the boxes, because Birthcare Center does a little bit of everything.

Note: This is an opening week review only.

EPISODES 1-2 REVIEW

BCC0102_2.jpg

Birthcare Center takes an interesting and very narrative-driven approach to its first episode. It’s straight storytelling, with our heroine OH HYUN-JIN (Eom Ji-won) at the center of it. She’s immediately likable as the no-BS managing director of a cosmetics company, and she’s making waves because she’s the youngest person in the company to get promoted to this level — and she’s a woman. Gasp!

Hyun-jin has poise and intellect and she’s obviously very good at what she does (and a total workaholic). So, when she almost barfs during a press interview celebrating her promotion, it’s not exactly the shining moment she had in mind. Then the news comes: Hyun-jin is pregnant. She’s around 40, so it’s not only a “miracle” pregnancy (so says her doctor), but it comes at exactly the same time as her promotion. Our heroine, long dreaming of both, is totally shocked.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/11/birthcare-center-episodes-1-2-review/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you ask me.. I'd want this drama to get more on the serious side. The humor is fine though as long as it's apt for scenes.   So many good screen caps tweets. I want to share.  ctto

Life as we know it.  Or something like this. 

"They say the world will come to an end -- in 2020"

Well.......

"This world and I ... we're not fit at all."

• Like 1

Caught last night ep 3 and enjoyed it.

@Jillia thanks for the clips

-Our main FL Hyun Jin bonding with rebel Roo Da

Loved that she gave her a new bra to help her

Also she gave her non alcoholic beer to make her feel she was drinking the real thing and rebelling

Their shared irritations with Queen Bee's assertions on Breast Feeding and she is the EXPERT

-Queen Bee & Twin's/ Sarang's mom Eun Jung is interesting. She pretends (you know she is TOO perfect) that there should be cracks. We know she has unruly twins and has hard time getting childcare. She does love her kids but she need to discipline them. So her assertion of power and rank at the Birth Center is interesting. But she unraveled in private. Also 3pm the delivery man seems interested in her as we saw she was in his truck once. Why does he care to talk to her? Is he interested? I mean if you see someone and recognize and then try to talk more to them, of course she is going to act weird. Plus she was mortified to have her "veneer of perfection" busted. She must have think this is the way to get love from others or otherwise suffer and be ignored.

-HJ hubby Do Yoon trying to buy the carriage. Wow what a slick salesperson. Did he really use his 10 month allowance of $4K to get it? Dang when I saw it I recalled seeing an article on it being used by the English Royal Family.  While you love your child you have to think of your wellbeing and wallet too

-The couple going out and relaxing and forgetting about Glue Stick. Dang the guilt laid on her by the staff. Too much and that one particular nurse saying words pretending to be the baby UGGGH. Ack. Bleh.

-Roo Da I want to know more about her. Who is her hubby? Cool she recognized HJ and I think HJ liked that her status//life outside was acknowledged in the Birth Center as there she is a newbie and low ranked person.

Enjoying this drama and I read it is only 8 episodes? Well the I guess 2 more weeks of this drama? I wonder how ep 4 will be tonight when I get off work to see it.

• Like 3

Watching episode 4, everything was perfect, funny, heartwarming after all the fumes I collected from the bickering hierarchical breastfeeding system last episode. I hate the cliche-y environment that's developed at the care center. The staff there are so judgmental and controlling - Idk anything about babies but if anyone were to guilt trip me with a baby voice like that, I would've reported their butt/demanded a refund. This "xxx's mom" thing in asian tradition is getting really old. It's not that hard to remember and call someone by their name if you know it. The only paradise here is people helping to care for the baby and those massage chairs. Really hope to see the system dismantled by the end. 

Hyunjin is going through so much after birth. Idk how long her maternity leave is (90 days?) but the company's already ready to replace her. It's so sad to see her in the dumps and spat on for wanting to balance both motherhood and work. It's also not hyunjin's fault for not being able to produce enough breastmilk so hopefully she comes to a conclusion on her choices + doesn't get too influenced by what others perceive as 'good motherhood'.

Roo da's carefree character has been such a refreshment to watch after seeing Hyunjin kissing up to Eunjung + her crew all day. I wasn't expecting her to be a single mom. (I do like how each FL mom was written with their own individuality and situation) She has a funny way of punishing the twins and I'm sure she'll be fine raising her baby. I also loled at her painting since she seemed so confident and chilled.

Despite Eunjung's character being such an evil queen, I did enjoy learning her backstories to get to know that she's not all that perfect. Her kids are uncontrollable tyrants, her neighbourhood reputation of her image is based off her bad parenting, she doesn't have any friends, her relationship with her MIL (and husband?) seems strained. So playing the perfect mother material in a new environment gave the respect/acknowledgement and attention she wasn't getting back at home. Off topic but she kinda reminds me of  a Helen from a movie - I anticipate the day where she realizes why she gains no real friends from this (only business ones).  

I really wanted to see her twins expose her though. :phew:

What a shocker to Park Siyeon's cameo. Totally wasn't expecting her to show up. It heartwarming to see all the mothers getting along, sharing their hardships to cheer her up. I originally thought she was the one stalking Hyunjin's baby, but I was wrong. As of now, I can't suspect anyone who would do that to her. Yoon park's female coworker?

The ending though. I will be so so upset if Yoon Park cheated in any kind of form. I'm very salty this was even in the storyline. He has been such a perfect husband so far and to see him wreck all of that in one go - is like a stab in the heart. I doubt they'd go with a cheating storyline and it's probably a small thing unrelated to affairs but if they twist that up,  I will be very damned pissed. 

Edited by tofumochu
I thought I was being rickroll'd in text. I didn't know I couldn't borderline cuss. Xd
  • Like 5

I agree that this birthcare center is a little strange. It's very judgemental and instead of teaching mother's how to take care of their children/babies, they just point out to Sarang's mum, claiming she's a pro star.

What is your job then? Apart from making snide remarks and judgemental gazes.

Then again that is probably the mood of the whole show. But these little things annoy me :D. I'm glad about the rebel mother coming in and showing an alternative solution/point of view. The other mother's started to seem like Stepford Wives.

• Like 5

i just finished ep3 and going to start ep4 in a while.

is the birth care center director (seo dan's mom in CLOY?) actually Roo Da's mom? haha they look very much like the mother-daughter kind of relationship where the mom disagrees with her daughter's behavior and the daughter is out there playing along with the "if you dun acknowledge me in public fine, i will not admit too!"

Wonder Woman Mom GIF

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i just finished ep3 and going to start ep4 in a while.

is the birth care center director (seo dan's mom in CLOY?) actually Roo Da's mom? haha they look very much like the mother-daughter kind of relationship where the mom disagrees with her daughter's behavior and the daughter is out there playing along with the "if you dun acknowledge me in public fine, i will not admit too!"

That's an interesting theory. I also thought of that for a second when they showed us scenes of them together alone. I totally forgot about it afterwards tho. They have this ? dynamic that makes you think they have some sort of history, as if they're a clashing mother and daughter duo. The director seems to speak with Roo da professionally but with a slight (personal?) begrudgingly undertone - she hasn't told us why. Or maybe she's just being judgmental categorizing Roo da people-alike. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, tofumochu said:

The director seems to speak with Roo da professionally but with a slight (personal?) begrudgingly undertone - she hasn't told us why.

Roo Da kept emphasizing that the Director knew her name like 2-3 times in ep2.. but refusing to acknowledge her by name, but Yomi omma.. she was against Roo Da's loud hairstyle as well, like she knew about how she looked even before she gave birth and moved into the birth care center. i like how Roo Da indirectly helped with the sticky cctv situation.

1 hour ago, H0ney said:

- I love the way that model mom handles sarang mom's twins hahaha. They need to be disciplined. 

and also, the super effective way Roo Da "managed" the twins! i was laughing my head off when she broke off the arm of that Garion figurine and the twins were horrified!

mom + pop music bat GIF by Sleigh Bells

1 hour ago, H0ney said:

- I am curious with what glue stick's dad needs to tell to his wife.

i hope it's just a red herring.. i will hate it if it steers towards a ONS kind of thing.

maybe he got drunk and puked into her sportscar.. and needed money to compensate for the car shampoo??

Shampoo Haircare GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

and i'm wondering who is the one who took away Hyun Jin's pumped milk and replaced with something else. Hyo Rin's actually accidentally stole the replaced bottle to feed her baby isn't it?

oh.. the "robot dance" sidekick of Eun Jung..

Spoiler

i keep relating her to the funny employee of Go Go Games in 18 Again

Get Out Lol GIF by Panic! At The Disco

• Like 3

@H0ney Thanks friend for being here and sharing your very personal experience. I am single and never got married.  So I have found this drama very enlightening.

@sadthe1st lol I agree about the robot dance and comment to 18 Again .

I have talked to friends on breast feeding and formula with friends and heard their struggles. Or natural birth vs C section too as another choice that women struggle with unless they want to plan the date. In the USA, there is no kind of post natal care place here. I heard of it from Asian /Korean friends. One old roommate of mine married a Korean woman. When she was ready to have their son she preferred going to Korea than USA just for the post natal care center.

This drama tackles a lot of issues with humor and wit. 

I too feel the director is the mom of the lingerie single mom there at the center. 

Who has is harassing our main heroine?

Why?

Her hubby is cheating on her? I hope not. The red herrings to let us think that with the younger woman who is obviously hitting on her hubby. I hope it’s not true.

why does the queen bee still have to hold onto her veneer of perfection? I loved how the maknae mom kept the twins in line to dismantle their fave toy. Maknae mom is so socially savvy.

The cameo by Park Si Yeon was awesome. Celebrities have unfair criticism from the public. Glad she embraced her current body thanks to the other moms. I loved their comraderie. Also glad she accepted the apology from our lead mom as she wasn’t intentionally trying to out her.  It could have been dragged out glad it wasn’t.

• Like 3

I just finished ep 4. I liked these two episodes more than the first ones.

I start to feel how the mothers are a little community.

I genuine laughed or smiled  at some of the scenes and others were sad.

Do-Yoon trying to buy a baby stroller. :w00t: The woman seller was very manipulative and made him accept the most expensive product. Then not even his car was enough. :D The sellers are doing their job but sometimes they are annoying. I prefer to buy online.

The poop "lesson." :DThe mothers thinking their child poop is gold. I totally understand Hyun-Jin. I just remember something. Recently I drank coffee with two colleagues and one of them (a young gramma) showed us a picture sent by her daughter: her niece`s poop. (it was like a bead). And we laughed how it was so important for the young mother to take such picture. :D

Another funny moment. When Hyun Jin imagined her child growing. The bold man Glue Stick played by Yoon Park was so funny. No, it is not because of baby formula he got bold. :D

I like Roo Da. She helped Hyun jin when she felt down. I was curious how Roo da make the twins be so docile.

I know that breast feeding is a good choice for the baby but it is nothing wrong when a woman decides to give her child a baby formula. People had to stop being judgemental. Everyone should decide what is best for them and let the others do the same. It was funny how the breastfeeding and baby formula` supporters fought but the fight became ridiculous. It became of world proportion.

I knew that Park Si yeon will do a cameo but it surprised me her story. I am glad that the show touch this subject. There are a lot of women who love their job who are discriminate because of the age or because of they their new status. Hyun Jin unserstood her very well because it was one of her worries as well. I was sad for Hyun jin when she went to work but to discover that she is not needed anymore.

I also like that we found a little more about the "perfect" mother Eun-Jung.

Two favorite moments. When mothers confess their worries and laughed. Even if Eun Jung did not share her problems I am sure she will open up later.

Second was when Hyo Rin talked to the reporters. It was so satisfying that she got the courage to talk to them, to confront the problem. She even showed them the finger. :w00t:

Now  about Do-Yoon ... He did something he should not have done when he was drunk. He is feeling guilty now. I have a feeling a new problem arrise for Hyun jin and I hope it is not serious. 

I like to see the fathers` point of view. I like the scene where an experienced father guided Do Yoon. We see how Hyun jin is dealing with the new motherhood situation and I want to see more about Do yoon as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wish this drama was receiving more love. I think the commentary on the issues facing mothers has been very smart and insightful yet done in a fun, quirky way. I enjoy all of the moms. Park Si Yeon's cameo was great. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1