[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Novoland: Pearl Eclipse 九州·斛珠夫人

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

I usually do not watch the ending theme song, this time I made sure to watch right to the end. 

me too, thanks to another forum, I was clued in. Felt I had to alert those of you watching here too. Same goes for the translation about HS's appointments as Empress Dowager - that too I missed out. I wish they hadn't made it so ambiguous, I  suppose in post-production, having to chop it from 55-48, there was no way they could reshoot the conversation btwn the child and HS to include a more obvious hint.

Spoiler

I didn't expect the bai xi again. I kinda knew he won't die. The two directors and the scriptwriter are all women, I suppose if it had been a male director, he would have just let FJM die. Perhaps women are more subtle in this aspect and such a relationship seems more bittersweet to them.

• Like 1

Man … I don’t know how I feel about the ending. So frustrating. I feel let down at the end. Seems idiotic that they still can’t be together even though they’re both alive. Ggrrr. Fang Jiamibg didn’t grow at all. Still stuck in his one way thinking. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

19 minutes ago, SC2019 said:

me too, thanks to another forum, I was clued in. Felt I had to alert those of you watching here too. Same goes for the translation about HS's appointments as Empress Dowager - that too I missed out. I wish they hadn't made it so ambiguous, I  suppose in post-production, having to chop it from 55-48, there was no way they could reshoot the conversation btwn the child and HS to include a more obvious hint.

Hide contents

I didn't expect the bai xi again. I kinda knew he won't die. The two directors and the scriptwriter are all women, I suppose if it had been a male director, he would have just let FJM die. Perhaps women are more subtle in this aspect and such a relationship seems more bittersweet to them.

When I saw the doctor announce the baby's not going to make it, and the camera zoomed onto Shifu's face, I was like "Oh no!!!".. really unexpected.

What about HS's appointment translation? I didnt get that part.

7 minutes ago, smlinwa said:

Man … I don’t know how I feel about the ending. So frustrating. I feel let down at the end. Seems idiotic that they still can’t be together even though they’re both alive. Ggrrr. Fang Jiamibg didn’t grow at all. Still stuck in his one way thinking. 

It will be totally out of character of FZ to forsake the baby and the country for love. Both FZ and HS chose to put the country before their own selves, it is expected, they have been fighting wars their entire lives for the peace of the nation and the people.

• Like 3

@Prettysup i added into my post as an edit so I don't have so many posts... the inaccurate translation... it points to whether FJM-HS had a child or not.

Spoiler

The translation on WeTV is incorrect or rather not accurate for the announcement where Consort Chu Rong is appointed as Empress Dowager. Instead it should read:

The eldest son, Prince Wei Yun promoted Consort Chun Rong of Feng Wu Palace to Empress Dowager. 

The word used was the eldest son which was missed out totally. Du Xi only had one child with Ti Lan, he had no other children. So the word the eldest son confirms that HS had a child with FJM. Most of us saw the reaction of the mermaid when she touched HS's hand as she was returned to the sea. But some of us thought it meant that she found out they were together. There are no other clues after that and during the conversation btwn the child Emperor and HS, there is no mention of a sibling, so this is the only clue we have.

@smlinwa well, you know FJM right? (and HS by virtue of his mentorship) Duty towards country. More so, he witnessed his bestie die and the baby is an orphan. There's no leader at all, no successor to the throne. That's the only logical thing to do...

I personally don't ship them and I think YM with MC depicted much more chemistry than here but I am sure the actors have truly given their best. I'll never be able to see Xu Kai Cheng in the same way anymore - he really upped his ante in this series.

• Like 5

Am about to start with ep42, and read the spoilers here about FJM freed as Emperor's baixi. :) Given though that Emperor Xu had too much schemers against him, then Tilan's pregnancy making her more vulnerable, I sort of had the inkling that being a baixi once to the Emperor won't simply end that way. Had FJM died as baixi, there may not be a direct lineage heir to the throne.

Excited to see the rest of the drama! 

• Like 3

@MayanEcho actually if we look at it from a buddhist perspective, there's some elements of karma.

Spoiler

Had the Emperor not been so harsh with Ti Lan when she first arrived, the bloodbath in E48 may not have come to pass. I don't think Suo Lan and General Tang had those intentions to start off with. As for Prince Ji Chang, yes, that would still have taken place but that would have ended by E44. Then again, if Ti Lan had never showed up, the Emperor would have continued to vaccilate between sanity and insanity. So he had a few months of happiness? In exchange for what? Perpetual release from a job he hated, for his best friend having to take over the kingdom and losing his own freedom? I dunno if that's an economical trade-off, LOL

It's ironical, he set FJM free, stating that between the two of them, at least one should be free. Finally, he is the one that obtained the freedom.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Insightful 1

@SC2019 it certainly does!

Spoiler

I rather felt bad for Tilan as she was, in essence, used. Her kingdom in exchange of protection/more help from Emperor Xu sent her to him as a bride - but did it have to be the bride who looks so much like his wife who passed away? What an insult, not to mention pouring more salt to the wound.

LOL, I guess when the Emperor found out how much crap he had to deal with after losing so much in the rebellion, the throne and title disgusted him no end. It ain't easy being an absolute monarch, when his decisions dictate the fate of his citizens.

Perhaps Sou Lan and the General Tang didn't intend to at first. However, the impostor Ji Chang makes me think otherwise.

• Like 1

@MayanEcho yes, I agree with you.

Spoiler

Ji Chang was for sure a bombshell waiting to happen. He was forced to be an impostor. At first, seems innocently just to make sure he stood in and no one found out that the real one died. Whether his intentions were his alone or he was acting in unison with someone else, don't know for sure - not shown. But you will see in the drama that he may have been acting in cahoots with someone else.

As for Ti Lan, yah...such a pure and kind-hearted girl. Someone remarked that if there were a harem, she may not have survived. Though I think she's not incapable of deceit or politicking, after all she grew up in the palace. She just chooses not to.

• Like 1

Posting here for the first time because I love the show! The ending also made me wonder about the mystery behind why some of the Fang lineage managed to live a few years longer than the king before they die. 

Spoiler

Perhaps these exceptional baixi cases all ended their baixi relationship w the current king. But had to reinstate their baixi relationship a few years later to save the newborn successors assuming infant mortality rate is high during their times and unfortunately had to die on behalf to keep the newborn successors alive. Hence they did live longer than the kings but only a few more years longer. Just an assumption :)

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

32 minutes ago, Iris Tannie said:

Posting here for the first time because I love the show! The ending also made me wonder about the mystery behind why some of the Fang lineage managed to live a few years longer than the king before they die. 

Reveal hidden contents

Perhaps these exceptional baixi cases all ended their baixi relationship w the current king. But had to reinstate their baixi relationship a few years later to save the newborn successors assuming infant mortality rate is high during their times and unfortunately had to die on behalf to keep the newborn successors alive. Hence they did live longer than the kings but only a few more years longer. Just an assumption :)

Ooohhh, yes...there is a possibility that this may have been the case.

• Like 1

Thanks @hush puppy for the video and @Prettysup for the pix (WC is such a joker and he looks unusually handsome in that sleeping posture). If any of you understand mandarin, each of them left a parting message in video format. You can type the chinese name of the drama followed by weibo... scroll down a little and you can watch it.

YM leaves a message for HS and FJM and vice versa. All 3 OTPs have that video.

Someone kindly posted this tweet on another forum, thought you would all like to read it as it's been translated

I'll take comfort in my own version of fan-fic. That someday, sometime in the not to distant future, there will be a time and place for them to pursue their own lives again, free from worldly troubles.

• Like 4

Finished watching until last ep. 

My thoughts:

Spoiler

1. The father of Tilan and Soulan had been engineering events to provoke Emperor Xu, and that even Tilan as a bride was calculated. It won't be surprising anymore if the real brother was purposely drowned when there's a doppelganger to take over. The father and eventually also the son were greedy for the good things, and coveted more power. Their endgame is to depose Emperor Xu and rule Daizheng.

2. We all like HEA, and all three couples in this drama deserve happiness. For me, Emperor Xu and Tilan dying together was devastating, but for a couple who vowed to live and die together, it's an acceptable end. Best of all, they gained freedom. from manipulative relatives and backstabbing officials. 

FJM and Haishi aren't together as couple, but as long as they live, they can still have that chance. 

3. I find Gen Tang stupidly too easy to be manipulated. His feelings for Tilan was too obvious.  Yes, he is besotted with someone else's wife and wants to save her. But agreeing to betray his own men and country, and waging rebellion - did he not sit down to even think for a moment that during intense fighting, an arrow, a sword, a lance, all these are blind and can kill anyone including Tilan? Or that what he heard from Soulan isn't true? The hell that he's more loyal to another country's prince than to his own emperor.

4. Secretary Shi died too easily. LOL, I'm bloodthirsty.

• Like 3

@MayanEcho 

Spoiler
Spoiler

I like your optimism, that as long as they are alive, there's hope that they can retire to pursue their own lives again. I like to think so too. My main gripe was that we were cheated off a final scene implying that they were off into the sunset after the young prince is independent. I had anticipated all that was shown, except for that annoying Bai Xi. For me, without that puppet-relationship, both would have given their lives to bring the child up and stabilise the country.

For HS, she had long regarded the babe as her nephew, and Ti Lan as her blossom buddy, moreover DX was her husband's bestie. So, there was really no need to re-employ that connection.

Of course, that sort of ending would deprive some people who prefer the bittersweet direction the current directors have presented. They can't please everybody, that much is true. So using an open ending like this allows them to escape criticism from those quarters.

I understand that a total of 7 episodes have been cut, so I am hoping somewhere, sometime, someplace, they will release some of this content. I was told there is precedence with other dramas.  I am 100% sure Zhe Liu and Fang Zhuo Ying's scenes have been massively cut out. And after HS-FJM fell off the cliff, I was told that there was a scene where they both buried HS' mum and they had some time in a cave - I am certain FJM got his epiphany about HS there. These are indeed things that we as viewers would have wanted to know about.

So, until then!

• Like 4

Finally finished as well).

Spoiler

The quality of the drama is exceptional. Practically no cliches,  like for example no usual love triangle between the leads. I especially love the Emperor always standing by his friend and protecting him at any cost. There are some IMO weak moments, but they are outshined by the beautiful main storyline. Great work done by the script writer.

The costumes are exquisite, especially for the Emperor, each of that gold/black robes look like a piece of art ).

And the most important thing- the music. During the first episodes the music mostly stays at the background; while the story progresses the soundtrack becomes more and more "vocal", accompanying practically every meaningful scene and creating that WOW effect with every bit of it. 

The the ending is more bitter than sweet to me. I can tolerate Shifu and Haishi not being together as a couple, her being Empress regent for the Prince, but they should have left that Baixi thing and Shifu's health in general alone. Practically all the "palace" cast spent 1/2 of the drama working out how to get him better, looking for cure, they even managed to get help from a mermaid - and in 5 min of last episode they throw all those efforts under the bus(((. 

• Like 5

Morning to you too, @SC2019!

If as much as 7 eps were cut (sobs), I'm speculating that these scenes are:

Spoiler

1. Funeral rites for Emperor Xu and Tilan;

2. Cleaning up of the palace officials, the staff and servants, and the military persons who colluded with Soulan and joined the uprising;

3. Daizheng would retaliate and successfully invade Soulan's kingdom;

4. Haishi's pregnancy;

5. Zhouying finding Zheilu again and their courtship;

6. Zhouying's rise to power;

7. More of the Crown Prince, and the younger "sibling";

8. Grown up Crown Prince asking FJM to end their Baixi relationship.

@leo2020 I too was looking forward to Emperor Xu's outfits. Haishi's clothes are beautiful, but the Emperor's were haute couture spectacular. :lol:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Finally finished as well).

About the last point, actually they spent time in the drama trying to get Shifu better from the effects of the poison, not the Baixi, so he getting into another Baixi at the end doesnt really negate their efforts.

20 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Morning to you too, @SC2019!

If as much as 7 eps were cut (sobs), I'm speculating that these scenes are:

I don't think they will actually write a pregnancy into this story. In the original novel, Fang Zhu castrated himself to stop the Fang family bloodline from suffering the effects of Baixi forever, so not getting any offspring for him is a blessing. I rather they not have any child.

One scene which they cut was after FZ and HS fell from the cliff. Apparently there was a scene which they buried her mother. Also another one in ep 20 which showed how FZ was shot by poisoned arrow when chasing Su Ming after the fake wedding with the princess.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

but the Emperor's were haute couture spectacular. :lol:

OMG, exactly :lol:.  Overall, XKC just stole the show). 

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

About the last point, actually they spent time in the drama trying to get Shifu better from the effects of the poison, not the Baixi, so he getting into another Baixi at the end doesnt really negate their efforts.

Well, it is my understanding Shifu

Spoiler

became the Prince's Baixi because overwise the child won't survive with that breathing disorder.

And, if I'm not mistaken (?), after the Baixi ceremony Shifu now has that disorder, however,since he is an adult and a trained martial artist, he may still survive -when Haishi asked him if he survives (dies), he answered smth like "May be, and may be not". 

So, he now again has a serious health issue, and more to come his way obviously. This means all the efforts they put to get him better after years of being a Baixi, after numerous injuries and last poisoning on the top of it, is now in vain((. This is what I meant by 

5 hours ago, leo2020 said:

they should have left that Baixi thing and Shifu's health in general alone

5 hours ago, leo2020 said:

in 5 min of last episode they throw all those efforts under the bus(((. 

• Like 5

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Novoland: Pearl Eclipse 九州·斛珠夫人