[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Novoland: Pearl Eclipse 九州·斛珠夫人

sugarplum892

Just finished

Ep 35:

Spoiler

1) Cannot blame Sifu. The poison from Zhunian has no Anti-Dote. Sifu now only has A Month to live.

Fang Zhou Ying being a Huku Prince+Haishi being a Female = Capital Punishment for both Haishi and Sifu.  And their Capital Punishment extends to their 9 Generations, 

2) If want to blame, blame Tilan's love-struck maid Bihong.  She is infatuated with Prince Suolan.  Those ancient time ladies get infatuated very easily.  Bcos there are no other venues I guess.

3) Tilan is Pregnant. What a perfect timing

4) Sifu is completely heart-broken too. The next morning, he:

- fed Haishi her Favourite Fish Broth

- led her wears his Father's Thumb-Ring - His Most Precious possession.  He won't even give it to his Buddy-Emperor when he asked for it.  So letting Haishi wears it, is to let the Emperor knows how Precious Haishi is to Sifu.

5) At this juncture, Sifu should not continue to shoulder all the Burdens by himself. He should stop treating Haishi like a Child. But let her into his confidence from now on - as An Equal.  This is where he did wrong.

Ep 36:

Spoiler

1) If I were Haishi, I would be equally Shattered and Enraged. Given away by her Husband, the morning after their Nuptial Night.

2) Emperor Chu and Sifu are truly Blood Brothers

3) Those Palace Ministers are all Narrow-Minded, Selfish Hypocrites.  Every little bit, will label others as "Evil".  They believed Sifu has Groomed Haishi to Tempt and Control the Emperor.

4) Poor Sifu gets all the Injuries inflicted by Haishi on the Emperor.  But at last Emperor Chu lets Haishi knows about their Bai Xi Pact.

The next 2 episodes should be interesting.  Haishi will invoke the Mermaid from those Pearls I guess.  Or at least some sort of a Spectacle...   To show that she is the Annointed One.

Heart-Rending as they are.  I wonder why I could not shed a Single Tear for this Drama.  As I have done or some others.

:crazymad: 

• Like 2

@hush puppy I agree with you but I think idiot Prince is behind it all. I hate writing that doesn’t reflect reality well. If I was in Tilan’s shoes and my maid just urged me to poison my husband, I would get rid of the poison myself - not throw it back at her etc. But I don’t blame Tilan - I blame the writer for illogical acts lol. Would Tilan be THIS careless?!? I really blame the person who threw the poison into the room to manipulate everyone, which is really the Prince. 

So sad for Shifu and Haishi tho. —- just when they finally can be happy!!!!!

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Ahhh I was crying buckets today.. the part when Shifu asked the Emperor to take care of Haishi after his death … and when he returned to apologise to her in her sleep.. arrrrrrgh 

3 hours ago, leo2020 said:

You know what? I just found out I'm a very cruel person).

At this point I'm so angry with Shifu. I now even wish Haishi dies and he lives a long life alone with regret and sorrow 24/7. 

I guess you are hating him based on the original novel, but don’t worry they have changed a fair bit of that for the drama. The emperor was specifically reminded to treat Haishi like how he treats Fang Zhu.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yinye said:

@hush puppy I agree with you but I think idiot Prince is behind it all. I hate writing that doesn’t reflect reality well. If I was in Tilan’s shoes and my maid just urged me to poison my husband, I would get rid of the poison myself - not throw it back at her etc. But I don’t blame Tilan - I blame the writer for illogical acts lol. Would Tilan be THIS careless?!? I really blame the person who threw the poison into the room to manipulate everyone, which is really the Prince. 

So sad for Shifu and Haishi tho. —- just when they finally can be happy!!!!!

@Yinye I feel the same way as you when I watch that scene. I mean so silly & careless of Tilan to return the Poison to Bihong. I knew then that Bihong will certainly use it on the Emperor.  

9 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Ahhh I was crying buckets today.. the part when Shifu asked the Emperor to take care of Haishi after his death … and when he returned to apologise to her in her sleep.. arrrrrrgh 

@Prettysup  I know.  So heart-rending right.  So near and yet so far.  But at least you can let out your Tears.  Mine just refuse to flow out.  But I'm hurting inside.

I'm still hopeful for a Happy Ending!  Who knows.  Maybe the Mermaid will help.  So far the Mermaid has not done much.  But the fact that she has seen Sifu.  And acknowledge that he is the one for Haishi gives me Hope.

I'm impressed by William's acting.

• Like 3

Saw someone explained that from the marriage certificate that Fang Zhu wrote which had their birthdates on it, both of them have an age difference of 7 years. 

24 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

@Prettysup  I know.  So heart-rending right.  So near and yet so far.  But at least you can let out your Tears.  Mine just refuse flow out.  But I'm hurting inside.

I'm still hopeful for a Happy Ending!  Who know.  Maybe the Mermaid will help.  So far the Mermaid has not done much.  But the fact that she has seen Sifu.  And acknowledge that he is the one for Haishi gives me Hope.

I'm impressed by William's acting.

Another part which made me cry earlier was Zheliu’s assistant who offered to die together with her to be her eyes, arrrrrgh….

And yes, William’s acting is really good here, have seen many people praising him too. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

William’s acting is really good here, have seen many people praising him too. 

That's 100% true. I  watched bts and how fast he goes in and out of character between takes is really impressive). 

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

I guess you are hating him based on the original novel

Actually I haven't read the novel). I'm just very sad because of what's happening). I mean ok, give your life for the Emperor, torture yourself however you want,  but who gave you permission to decide for other people...and she trusts him completely! Again! 

I just question if at this point he is worthy of her love and trust :tears:.

• Like 2

@leo2020 I don’t think Shifu ‘decided’ things for Haishi or ZY - remember that ZY’s action against the Emperor and going north was all planned out between Zy, Shifu, and Emperor. Shifu just withheld some info to make things more convincing (ZY was delaying because he worried about ZL) and I think he knows how thin the line is between ‘manipulation’ and ‘protection’ —- like when Haishi said after she misunderstood.

Everything Shifu does is for other people — it can cause short term discomfort but better chance of long term protection and care benefits both Haishi and ZY in the end, it’s just that for the plan to work, he couldn’t tell them all about it up front. 

ahhh I am gonna have to save these episodes for tomorrow. It’s 12:37 am and I need to sleep now.

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Yinye said:

@leo2020 I don’t think Shifu ‘decided’ things for Haishi or ZY - remember that ZY’s action against the Emperor and going north was all planned out between Zy, Shifu, and Emperor. Shifu just withheld some info to make things more convincing (ZY was delaying because he worried about ZL) and I think he knows how thin the line is between ‘manipulation’ and ‘protection’ —- like when Haishi said after she misunderstood.

Everything Shifu does is for other people — it can cause short term discomfort but better chance of long term protection and care benefits both Haishi and ZY in the end, it’s just that for the plan to work, he couldn’t tell them all about it up front. 

ahhh I am gonna have to save these episodes for tomorrow. It’s 12:37 am and I need to sleep now.

@Yinye  And some viewers  said that Sifu is using Haishi.  I disagree.  So far I only see Sifu trains her, guides her, nurtures her, Protects her, and finally Loves Her.  The only time that Sifu, in a way, uses her is when Haishi has to go after FZY - supposedly to "finish him off".  But that also is because both Zhou Ying and Sifu are 100% sure that she will Never Kill him.

So their "Family Affections (Sifu's and FZY's)" for Haishi is always there.  Sifu has done a great job as a Father-Figure, in this Family of 3

It is both so Magnanimous and Noble of Sifu to:

-  never "hide" from FZY the History of his Roots

- nurture and then allow him back to his Homeland and Duty, which is a Win-Win Situation for both Kingdoms

And remember, he is only 5 years older than Fang Zhuo Ying.  7 years older than Haishi.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, leo2020 said:

That's 100% true. I  watched bts and how fast he goes in and out of character between takes is really impressive). 

Actually I haven't read the novel). I'm just very sad because of what's happening). I mean ok, give your life for the Emperor, torture yourself however you want,  but who gave you permission to decide for other people...and she trusts him completely! Again! 

I just question if at this point he is worthy of her love and trust :tears:.

Well, how to say it.... Shifu is like a parent-figure to Haishi. As a parent, one will wish to do their best to protect their child. Knowing he is not able to protect her for long in the complicated royal palace, he entrusts her to his most trusted friend and most powerful person in the country, the emperor. You may say that he is wrong to keep her out of his decisions, but I don't see in what way he is not worthy of her love and trust.

If we let Haishi have her way, the emperor will kill her since she lied to him. And then her mother and whole fishing village will also be sentenced to death since lying to the emperor warrants the death of your entire clan. In that way Shifu will become a widow for a month before joining her in death from the poison. End of story.

7 hours ago, Yinye said:

Yes, Shifu was not able to reveal much about his plan with ZY because that was a very dangerous plan, and naturally the less people who know it will be better. He cannot guarantee Haishi can act convincingly if she had known it beforehand. All the Huku people and spies were watching her shoot ZY. If they had fumbled that part, ZY's life will be in danger at the 10 year plan will all go down the drain.

Shifu indeed does everything for other people, all except himself. So heart wrenching to watch him, arrgh....

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

It is both so Magnanimous and Noble of Sifu to:

-  never "hide" from FZY the History of his Roots

- nurture and then allow him back to his Homeland and Duty, which is a Win-Win Situation for both Kingdoms

And remember, he is only 5 years older than Fang Zhuo Ying.  7 years older than Haishi.

Yes, FZY knew from young his mission is to bring peace to the Huku country. Shifu did well to nurture him. The scene which he knelt and paid his respects before leaving Shifu was so touching.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

@Prettysup I agree, the relationship between Hai Shi and Sifu, despite the romance, is definitely one of parent-child. Because of this, Hai Shi will appear like a pawn, being moved here and there. And though we know that Sifu has good intentions, it will neither be pleasant for most viewers nor Hai Shi (though I've seen some comments where some viewers are looking forward to a dark, miserable ending, like the novel). In this case, the decision he made, though we know was very rational and one that will keep her safe, it is one that determines her future, a future where she is powerless to change. 

Spoiler

The palace is often described as a gilded cage, so being married off to the emperor, is in a way trapping her in a gilded cage, despite the luxuries being accorded to her. And despite Sifu thinking that this is the place where she will be protected from his enemies, subsequent previews show us that time and again, she is subject to harm and Sifu has to constantly protect her. So, was the decision to keep her in the palace truly one where she will be safe from vindictive people? And as the Emperor points out in another preview, "You can keep her safe for now, will you be able to keep her safe for the rest of her life?" Has the means truly accomplished the ends?

As someone who tries to empathise with Hai Shi's character, the context itself must have been such a shock for her, from a momentous event - the wedding - the fulfilment of her dreams to being married off to the best friend.  Even when she tried to escape with death, she was deprived of that option; though to be frank, if she had tried hard enough, she probably would have succeeded, but then we would have no drama left to watch. [Again, as I write all this, I am mindful that this was in Sifu's mind, the best option he had for her. But as the Emperor pointed out (a voice that spoke for the viewers), it is a decision that is cruel and will hurt Hai Shi immensely. "With my death, she will forget", argues Sifu - again, that's what you think. Is that how Hai Shi will really feel for the rest of her life? Apparently in the novel, this was not the case, and it was a hurt that she carried to her grave.]

The manner in which Sifu's character is written, stone-faced, questionable EQ, keeping Hai Shi in the dark, making decisions without her knowledge, isn't alien to C-drama male lead characters, particularly for costume dramas. While I haven't watched that many dramas, the other character that comes to mind when I look at Sifu, is Dong Hua Di Jun in the Pillow Book and Jiu Chen in Love and Destiny - extremely intelligent, powerful and coldly calculative. So it doesn't come as a surprise the manner in which the ML is depicted. More so, as the novel was even darker.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Some viewers were hoping for consummation on the wedding night, and the first thought that came to mind was 'fat hopes, the director will keep the angst up by depriving them/us of that too'. True enough, that came to pass. There's another scene coming up where Sifu promises Hai Shi at a festive event in the city, to accompany her every year from then on (while watching that, the scene from Stand By Me arose, it was the first and last time that they had an outing, and shortly after, the ML died, though, to be fair he did say he couldn't be with her in subsequent years, but promises like that often come to nought). If the director wishes for a memorable ending, one that leaves viewers commenting on social media for some time to come, we jolly well know what's going to happen on December 5. 

• Like 3

I don't read Novels. I prefer to watch the film-works  But I'm glad the Drama-Version did not follow the Novel faithfully.  The Drama-Version of the 3 Leading Ladies are more acceptable to current day Viewers. At the very least Haishi is Feminine but Strong-willed. 

No doubt these are Period Works where the Traditions are different.  Where Men are essentially Leaders, Women the Followers. But with some ingenuity, film-makers can always come up with a more "sensible, unique and fresh" solution which will be more acceptable to us 21st Century Viewers.

Film-makers and Novelists should think out of the box and stop perpetuating the old pattern of thoughts.  

@Prettysup  @Yinye  @SC2019 @leo2020 On behalf of the others, I thank you all for the "Debate".   See.  "Novoland: Pearl Eclipse" is filmed so well that we are all Motivated to forward our Opinions.

:approves:

I take the "Middle Path".  I applaud when it is good.  Disapprove where it is not.  For example:

1) For Ep 35,  I wrote, Quote: "At this juncture, Sifu should not continue to shoulder all the Burdens by himself. He should stop treating Haishi like a Child. But let her into his confidence from now on - as An Equal.  This is where he did wrong."

2) For Ep 36, I wrote, Quote:  "If I were Haishi, I would be equally Shattered and Enraged. Given away by her Husband, the morning after their Nuptial Night."

3) I also wrote, "The only time that Sifu, in a way, uses her is when Haishi has to go after FZY - supposedly to "finish him off".  But that also is because both Zhou Ying and Sifu are 100% sure that she will Never Kill him. 

In conclusion, we must remember this story is set in Very Complex Historical Background. Sifu is Not Perfect.  But Neither is he that Bad. He has his Good Qualities.  He is Romantic and Protective.  He is Composed and Strategic. He is Selfless and Magnanimous. 

But then, most of us Human Beings are like that :

- We can be so Inflexible

- We sometimes fail to look at the Larger Picture

As a result, we make Decisions and take Actions which lead to Conflicts. The 21st Century is no different.  Which is why we continue to have Conflicts in our Families and Society.

• Like 5

I haven’t seen the new episodes but just going by the comments, I do think society and viewers are fixated on ‘ideal or perfect’ love when in reality, it is rare because most people are complicated. 

There are so many types of love languages and way that people demonstrate love, heavily influenced by the people in the relationship. I think viewers of course don’t want Shifu to hurt Haishi and want them to have their happy ending. At the same time, if everything went smoothly - what is the point of the story?! This story is telling about this love story between these flawed characters so that we learn and come to understand the different ways people ‘love’ etc. So the real meaning isn’t about the happy or sad endings but what it meant to people in the relationship. Would you experience true love for a short terrible time or no true love at all? Sacrifice is an under appreciated act of love because everyone is so focused on the person left behind but it takes great love and courage to do. 

• Like 3

Just watched 35 + 36 

Great acting in these two episodes and some really beautiful scenes. Heart breaking and tense! I really like the acting between YM and WC in those two intense scenes when they argued and also the scenes between YM and XK tooo. Finally the truth is told to Haishi! I already love Haishi manipulating the power dynamics of their relationship based on her new status already!

The emperor has the best lines in the drama - bite me lol. 

Edited by Yinye
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

My heart is breaking for Haishi.

Although I understand Shifu, I wish he'd open up to her and prioritize THEM instead of just her.

Even if he has only a short time to live, she should also be aware of this.

I'm thinking Haishi will also be pregnant in order to continue the bloodline of Baixi for the emperors.

I'm glad the Emperor told Haishi the truth that she was entrusted to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElleSor said:

My heart is breaking for Haishi.

Although I understand Shifu, I wish he'd open up to her and prioritize THEM instead of just her.

Even if he has only a short time to live, she should also be aware of this.

I'm thinking Haishi will also be pregnant in order to continue the bloodline of Baixi for the emperors.

I'm glad the Emperor told Haishi the truth that she was entrusted to him.

i am so sad as i watched... looks like this is going to be a tear jerking sad ending for Haishi and Jian Ming. a total of 55 episodes.. let's see how the plot developes..

Edited by taekwang
  • Like 2

@taekwang there are only 48 episodes, and it will end this Sunday, Dec 5.

@Yinye The Emperor is becoming a more likeable and humane person. So, the darker relationship in the novel has been toned down and here in the drama it appears as a bromance of sorts. Which is kinda nice, that the man who has put the whole world's needs ahead of his own now have two people who are fighting to keep him alive.

@ElleSor I agree, I think he should have confided in her instead of making the decisions on her behalf, it's her life too. But then again, this is a common behavioural pattern among alpha males, at least in C-dramaland. So, we'll have to put up with it. There are exceptions but those dramas weren't like this type (for example in The Imperial Coroner).

Spoiler

But it does look like (from previews) that they've made some changes as compared with the novel. So who knows what's to come. For example in E43 preview, Hai Shi asks the mermaid for help, for what we don't know yet. But clearly in that preview, she tells an unconscious FJM that she will do something for him for once, because only when he is alive can she be happy. 

Am excited about tomorrow's episodes. Enough of angst and misery. Let's see Hai Shi putting her brains to good use and beating all those greedy court officials at their own game. And let's enjoy a little sweetness as that someone secretly tries to protect her.

• Like 3