[Drama 2020] Memorial / Into the Ring, 출사표

0ly40

Happened to stumble across this on my local Korean station and was intrigued.  Found it on Viki and watched the first 2 episodes and absolutely loved it!  Looking forward to catching up with the show and the thread.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nana And Park Sung Hoon Adjust To Changes To Their Dynamics At Work In “Into The Ring”

Jul 28, 2020
by J. Lim

KBS 2TV’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “Into the Ring” has shared new stills of Nana and Park Sung Hoon in an interesting new dynamic.

Spoiler

In the previous episode, Goo Se Ra (Nana) suddenly finds herself the chairwoman of the Mawon district council. Using the fact that Goo Se Ra is not affiliated with any party, Jo Maeng Deok (Ahn Nae Sang) hatched a plan to make her chairwoman and use her as a puppet to achieve his goals. In order to do this, he recommended his secretary Kim Min Jae (Han Jun Woo) to work for Goo Se Ra. But figuring out this plan, Seo Gong Myung (Park Sung Hoon) declared that he would work for Goo Se Ra.

The new stills show Goo Se Ra and Seo Gong Myung in their new positions. The change in their dynamics seems to intrigue Goo Se Ra, and she can’t take her eyes off of Seo Gong Myung as he carries out his duties as her secretary. She sits at her new desk, with a glass plaque announcing her new title as the chairwoman, and he reads out documents that require her signature.

Nana-Park-Sung-Hoon6.jpg

Other stills show a hilarious moment shared between Seo Gong Myung and Goo Se Ra’s family. She poses with her parents in front of a car like they’re getting ready to be on the cover of a magazine, and Seo Gong Myung looks taken aback as he holds up a phone to take a photo. Goo Se Ra and Seo Gong Myung also pose for a photo together, and even then, Goo Se Ra is unable to look away from Seo Gong Myung with a complicated expression on her face.

Nana-Park-Sung-Hoon-23.jpg

The production staff of “Into the Ring” stated, “The upcoming episode of ‘Into the Ring’ will follow Goo Se Ra and Seo Gong Myung in their new roles. They will carry out their tasks, bickering like they always have. The process will bring Goo Se Ra and Seo Gong Myung’s chemistry and romance up another level.

@redwitch came to this drama after Dinner Mate as well! Needed my romcom fix, and so glad that I'm finding it in here :)) I like how reassured and steady SGM is, at first I wasn't sure if I'd like the male lead because his hair style is a bit unusual but he's really exuding that 'civil servant' vibe. Also can I just say how impressed I am by Nana's acting, I haven't watched any other drama of hers, just seen her on Roommate and she would seem quite withdrawn, so big ups to her on portraying this character! From the little acting I've tried out, I realised I find bubbly extroverted characters the hardest to portray, especially when they've got some hidden depth to them. Really loving this drama so far :star:

• 2 weeks later...

So...finally after a looong absence, I’ve come back to this space to share some thoughts about this kdrama.

Even with all the odd changes and happenings in the soompi forum, glad that I could still sign in!

Alas, it’s the finale week and not much interest has picked up here but I’m thankful I watched it. It’s such a gem of a kdrama, in this past year of dud, dark, surreal and lukewarm offerings.

Sharing some personal highlights:

1. It’s actually a prize-winning script in the 10th drama scriptwriting contest and originally titled: “Finding a shooting star in the middle of the desert.”

2. I love the way it was filmed. There’s something special about the angles, the way the scenes were framed. It added to the tone, the focus, the comedic timing and acting that made it less-slapsticky. Kudos to the PD and team, I don’t think other dramas have attempted such creative approaches.

3. The leads. I’ve never really watched any of Nana’s or Park Sung Joon’s (PSJ) shows. In my mind, Nana is just a pretty face, an ex-idol who started venturing into acting. She was in “Kill It” with Jang Ki Yong which I also didn’t watch. PSJ, in the last drama which I had only caught a few episodes of was “Psychopath Diary” (where he was the psychopath!) and both, I found out actually acted together in also a darker drama a year ago, “Justice”, which I also did not watch. 

Which is why I’m so glad they got to be leads in this one! Boy, do we need some lighthearted fare! It really helps to show off their acting chops too if they were in a dramatically different show before and yet be able to pull off this drama...

And it really made me see them in a different light! The chemistry, the natural acting and comedic timing are da bomb! Especially Nana’s! The only time I felt that way about a drama and the leads is the another all time fav - Weightlifting Fairy KBJ. 

I love it when an ex-idol/ex-model can break out of the usual image and bring playfulness and less-than-glamorous portrayal of their usual roles into a drama.

The ratings hasn’t been great but I have enjoyed it thoroughly and followed YouTube’s KBS channel whenever they loadEd up short clips or the BTS. From the comments, I know there are enough fans like me out there that squeal and rewatch their cute, lovey-covey moments. Especially episode 9-10 (confession!)

4. The rest of the cast. Actually the drama assembled some really awesome veteran actors. I bet it was enjoyable and a breeze for some of these actors/actresses to act in something so lighthearted unlike all the heavy, dark and intense dramas out there. Of course Goo Sera’s parents are a hoot - it’s Kim Bok Joo’s dad and her mom played by the actress from Parasite and CLOY!

And for once, I love Park Sung Geun/Lee Dae Cheol’s role as the slightly gossipy but caring sunbae/hyung/ahjussi colleague in the Mason District Office Service Ctr. He is always playing some nasty well-suited henchman/lawyer in gazillion dramas (He’s back as head(?) prosecutor in Stranger 2-now on Netflix -an excellent drama!) that I really enjoyed him in such a light role! And even the younger, whiny colleague of Gong is funny!

5. The OST is nice and perfect for the heartfelt moments. Heard that Nana and PSJ are going to drop a duet this week too. Sweet!

6. I love the epilogues too (someone mentioned in this forum before!) It always bring heartwarming backstories to the episodes...even though in the last few episodes, they seemed to have stopped showing that. But I try to think of the flashbacks they did show at the end as the epilogues (did someone in the editing dept got lazy....?).

Anyway, looking forward to the ending (Wrap it up well and romantic, pretty please!I)...the duet...

It’s really a sweet, sweet drama to enjoy on mellow/rainy days with some patience needed for the decent plot of small town politics (kudos to the trio ShimJangShi and assembly man Dong-Chan).

Now, I think I’m ready to plunge back to more heady stuff...annyeong everyone! 

(Edit: For those who want more info/chat about the drama, there’s Dramabeans comment section: 

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/08/memorials-episode-13/)

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Memorial / Into the Ring, 출사표
On 8/18/2020 at 7:58 AM, jbying7 said:

So...finally after a looong absence, I’ve come back to this space to share some thoughts about this kdrama.

Even with all the odd changes and happenings in the soompi forum, glad that I could still sign in!

Alas, it’s the finale week and not much interest has picked up here but I’m thankful I watched it. It’s such a gem of a kdrama, in this past year of dud, dark, surreal and lukewarm offerings.

Sharing some personal highlights:

1. It’s actually a prize-winning script in the 10th drama scriptwriting contest and originally titled: “Finding a shooting star in the middle of the desert.”

2. I love the way it was filmed. There’s something special about the angles, the way the scenes were framed. It added to the tone, the focus, the comedic timing and acting that made it less-slapsticky. Kudos to the PD and team, I don’t think other dramas have attempted such creative approaches.

3. The leads. I’ve never really watched any of Nana’s or Park Sung Joon’s (PSJ) shows. In my mind, Nana is just a pretty face, an ex-idol who started venturing into acting. She was in “Kill It” with Jang Ki Yong which I also didn’t watch. PSJ, in the last drama which I had only caught a few episodes of was “Psychopath Diary” (where he was the psychopath!) and both, I found out actually acted together in also a darker drama a year ago, “Justice”, which I also did not watch. 

Which is why I’m so glad they got to be leads in this one! Boy, do we need some lighthearted fare! It really helps to show off their acting chops too if they were in a dramatically different show before and yet be able to pull off this drama...

And it really made me see them in a different light! The chemistry, the natural acting and comedic timing are da bomb! Especially Nana’s! The only time I felt that way about a drama and the leads is the another all time fav - Weightlifting Fairy KBJ. 

I love it when an ex-idol/ex-model can break out of the usual image and bring playfulness and less-than-glamorous portrayal of their usual roles into a drama.

The ratings hasn’t been great but I have enjoyed it thoroughly and followed YouTube’s KBS channel whenever they loadEd up short clips or the BTS. From the comments, I know there are enough fans like me out there that squeal and rewatch their cute, lovey-covey moments. Especially episode 9-10 (confession!)

4. The rest of the cast. Actually the drama assembled some really awesome veteran actors. I bet it was enjoyable and a breeze for some of these actors/actresses to act in something so lighthearted unlike all the heavy, dark and intense dramas out there. Of course Goo Sera’s parents are a hoot - it’s Kim Bok Joo’s dad and her mom played by the actress from Parasite and CLOY!

And for once, I love Park Sung Geun/Lee Dae Cheol’s role as the slightly gossipy but caring sunbae/hyung/ahjussi colleague in the Mason District Office Service Ctr. He is always playing some nasty well-suited henchman/lawyer in gazillion dramas (He’s back as head(?) prosecutor in Stranger 2-now on Netflix -an excellent drama!) that I really enjoyed him in such a light role! And even the younger, whiny colleague of Gong is funny!

5. The OST is nice and perfect for the heartfelt moments. Heard that Nana and PSJ are going to drop a duet this week too. Sweet!

6. I love the epilogues too (someone mentioned in this forum before!) It always bring heartwarming backstories to the episodes...even though in the last few episodes, they seemed to have stopped showing that. But I try to think of the flashbacks they did show at the end as the epilogues (did someone in the editing dept got lazy....?).

Anyway, looking forward to the ending (Wrap it up well and romantic, pretty please!I)...the duet...

It’s really a sweet, sweet drama to enjoy on mellow/rainy days with some patience needed for the decent plot of small town politics (kudos to the trio ShimJangShi and assembly man Dong-Chan).

Now, I think I’m ready to plunge back to more heady stuff...annyeong everyone! 

(Edit: For those who want more info/chat about the drama, there’s Dramabeans comment section: 

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/08/memorials-episode-13/)

@jbying7 Well said, couldn’t agree more! I just finished watching this today. I rarely write about Kdrama but I feel like I have to do this drama some justice by showing my appreciation - i love everything about this production :) 

If I may just add to your comment, I’m equally  awed by the cinematography. I love the way the director uses the different angles peppered with a great sense of comedy flair to tell us the story. I’m surprised how young he is in the bts videos, he seems to be around the same age as PSH and NN? Very talented chap indeed. 

I love the cast - everyone (yes including chairman Cho lol, loved him as the priest in “the guest”). An excellent drama often is supported by an awesome support cast ( think “ when the camellia blooms” and “cloy”). I just wish GSR parents had more screen time :(  The comedic element shines through in each of the characters at the office - the 3 stooges, the breath freshener daddy’s boy, GM’s sidekicks ... gosh! And how can I forget child actor who plays the boy in the cafe - the cartoonist who gave us the love story in comic form and who was pivotal in knocking sense into GSR (“the main character doesn’t just lie around and do nothing!” Ahem). 

I watched the last ost video - PSH and NN’s vocals are just like the melody and their love in the drama - cotton candy sweet. I bet they had so much fun filming. Glad they were able to do a duet - this ost is like the icing to the cake. 

This drama is definitely one of the best for me. It had me in stitches and tears at the same time lol. 

Enough said haha. Hope you guys have a great weekend :)) 

Archived