[Drama 2020] Memorial / Into the Ring, 출사표

0ly40

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again not a dull moment in episodes 3 & 4 for me. Some of the things we learn are that Gong Myung and Sera knew each other when they were kids, his dad is the Chairman of the party whom Sera’s boyfriend works for and Sera’s dad and Gong Myung’s estranged dad are acquainted as show in yesterday’s episodes. 

Sera’s campaign wasn’t really getting much traction until the issue of the council approving a distribution center near the school became the focus. Fortunately, the very matter that got Sera fired is the same matter that brought her public recognition because she stood up in the meeting to object to the building of a distribution center near the school. As usual, politics are dirty and now there’s a scandal that Sera got hired at her last job through connections, which is true. She was going to resign but thankfully Gong Myung showed up and told her not to quit by ripping up her resignation speech. I guess he’s especially annoyed with his estranged father because the father used the death of his younger brother to gain sympathy from the public because of his screwup in approving the building of the distribution center. Gong Myung was rightfully upset about this so maybe now he’ll try to help Sera succeed.

Sera should dump that boyfriend of hers. The guy treats her like a nuisance. She deserves better and I hope she realizes it soon.

15 hours ago, corey said:

@triplem, I am looking for something to watch (tried It's ok not to be ok, but it is not for me), so, do you recommend this? Is the FL very annoying? (like, being a pushover or doing silly things that get her in trouble). And the bigest  question is - is this a pre-produced drama or is the writer going to write the script on the go and change it according to the viewer's preferences?

She’s not a pushover except maybe a little when she accommodated her lousy boyfriend. She has also firmly stood up to him so I think when she did behave accommodating, she was trying to be sweet with him. I think that’s pretty much out of the window now because she told him off as well. However, as @triplem said, the boyfriend will probably still be a factor because they didn’t exactly breakup. She does get into trouble but it’s for standing up for what she thinks is right. For example, while working temporarily as a stenographer for a government meeting, she heard a decision being discussed that was not opposed by anyone in the room and she stood up and opposed the decision and was fired for doing that. Since she was fired, she made a decision to enter the political ring. I would say give the first episode a try and see if you like it. 

@triplem, I think her target group is a good one too. I think one of the problems she has to overcome is actually getting people to go out and vote. It seems the voter turnout is not that promising for this particular election.

@corey I laughed my head off when she initially won by default because she was older by a few days ( at the 1st count) . But I am glad they did the recount. It meant she won fair and square , even if was by the slimmest margin of 3 votes :lol:. SeRa deserves the seat...even though she may have done this at a wimp ( for the salary) , she is the right person for the job. Luck was on her side , what with candidates resigning ....but her genuine concern for the people in that district was what gave her the victory. What touched me was those complaint books of hers. She isn't just a whiner who had nothing better to do. She actually had a mind map and ideas of how she could make her district a better place. While she would be swallowed alive in much bigger political battles, it is not too far fetch for her to win at a district level and for her to be able to serve her local constituency . 

I really love SeRa's personality, and  Nana is doing justice to the character. SeRa is not taken seriously because she seems goofy and is young, but you can tell she is unfazed by the challenges before her. I am surprised she was so "subservient" to her ex...with Gong Myung , she definitely is the more dominant party...his poor sideburns ( I read that this was an adlib by Nana for the scene and that PSH was very sporting to go along).

I don't know how quickly the romance will progress. With SeRa's entry into the world of politics , the romance maybe a slowburn. 

I saw some cuts here and there for tonight , and as expected it focused a bit on SeRa's new career as a district representative. Clearly she is out of her element and it does feel like she  is going to get bullied and used . However , SeRa is sharp and she is fast learning how to deal with these monkeys who run the council . GM is definitely on SeRa's side and he worries for her. I like that he gets to attend all these meetings , so there are always a lot of scenes of them together...this Twitter summarizes tonight's eps. Basically both dominant parties needed SeRa to take their side...our girl definitely milked those moments. She may be like fish out of water, but she isn't dumb

Spoiler

hmm I have a feeling there might be love competition from Yoon Hee Soo...Gong Myung accidentally grabbed her hand instead of SeRa's . Lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, corey said:

She definitely does! I dared not hope, thought. Would you believe ? That was the very, very first K-Drama that made my cry. I was teary eyed throughout second half of the episode, when she had no hope of winning, yet she was going for it with all her heart. I did not cry when Joon Hwi broke up with Cheong Ah, I  did not cry when Mi Young and Lee Gun lost their baby, but I cried during that drama I almost didn't watch? What is wrong with me????

Yes I do agree, this drama is so heartwarming. Episode 3 was really touching : candidate number 2 speech, GSR's parents joining the team, her father crying at the end, last scene while listening the defeat letter. My favorite scene was the end of the campaign when she felt like she'll loose, wanted to be there yelling "you did well girl !!".

I think the background music and the simple yet gorgeous cinematography are helping a lot. Overall acting is really moving and convincing, particularly Nana. 

@triplem, I absolutely adore Sera’s personality. And you’re right, she’s out of her depth right now having to find her way in the political circle while overcoming their discrimination against her age among other things. I chuckled when both parties realized they needed her vote. They’re not very farsighted at all. I don’t believe Sera’s vote was voided through anything she did. She knew already that she needed to do to get paid so I can’t see her not voting correctly on an issue that is essential to her. Anyway, I’m looking forward to her handling of her position because I expect her to grow in the job. I hope that she begins to learn the things she needs to know to successfully represent her district.  Kind of like Kim Sun-Ah’s character in City Hall where her character growth was phenomenal. I think Sera just needs to learn more of the bigger issues of her office. I was surprised she didn’t know about municipal bonds.

On the romance side, I like seeing Sera and SGM spend time together even though he tries to run away from her most times. :lol: At least Sera confirmed that the other guy is now her ex boyfriend.

First Impression: Into The Ring

into-the-ring-4.jpg?w=720

Well, first of all, casting Nana as the FL is the best decision for this material. My girl can deliver the funny scenes so well, and I’m super drawn to her complaint-loving character. She may be a typical heroine who wants to make a change after experiencing unjust treatment, but I like the way her redemption story is being presented. I have to admit, though, that I’m worried about the story’s foundation because Goo Se-ra is literally a nobody who became an electoral candidate overnight. She joined the local elections in dire need of money but soon realized that politics is a different stage. And now as she enters into the ring, she has to prove herself that she deserves to be the name listed in every voter’s ballot.

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/07/14/first-impression-into-the-ring/

I love the fact that Goo Sera isn't afraid to confront her boss and seniors, especially Chief Won, she's surprisingly a powerful FL. Last scene of episode 6 was epic. 

I think the romance will seriously start next week based on this week epilogue. 

Also is YHS considered an antagonist / villain here ? She looks so arrogant and rude. 

@triplem, indeed this show is underrated. I thoroughly enjoy it so far. You were absolutely correct that it was Cho who willfully voided his vote. I remember you speculated this last week and it was finally revealed this week. I just love Nana’s portrayal of GSR. Although there was little romance, the politics engages me because I’m interested to see how GSR tackles the hindrances and stumbling blocks cast in her way. She didn’t disappoint me. I like how she ripped the mask off of SGM’s nemesis. Was it so difficult to acquiesce to the elder woman’s complaints? She has every right to live safely in her own home and yard. I know there could be consequences for GSR’s boldness but these politicians should be exposed for the liars they are. I think eventually GSR is going to grow and learn to navigate the political arena and I hope SGM also get on board soon. Maybe it will take something major to get him involved because he’s wasting his financial talent literally serving these callous politicians food, drinks, documents, etc.

@jelly, I think the problem with SGM is that he is perhaps a little demoralized by his experience of wrangling with politicians over fiscal responsibility. Now SGM’s career objective seems to be reaching retirement and getting his pension. :lol:

i watched all episode until episode 6 . What can i say .. this show is really really GOOD. Such underrated drama . 

Goo Se Ra is totally only for Nana. I cant imagine anyone who can play GSR better than Nana did .

The vibe is like watching the successful story of the bright girl .. i donno .. imo tho ..

Glad that I randomly decided to watch Into the Ring yesterday. The show is so, so good! It deserves more hype. How can GSR and SGM’s chemistry be this explosive when the romance hasn’t even started yet! It’s been a while since I found a kdrama that makes me laugh so much. I can’t wait to see whipped and boyfriend material SGM hihi the two of them dating? Chaotic energy

:handsup:

@corey, yes, what GSR did in the end was over the top but she got her point across. I think there will be consequences but at least she might be able to change the situation for the elderly lady. I find it more outrageous that a well known golf course can get away with hitting its golf balls into the private property of a senior citizen. Sometimes when I see these kinds of situations in Kdrama in these modern times I wonder if this is truly a reality there. So much shaming of companies (right or wrong) goes on nowadays that it’s hard to imagine how that golf club gets away with this issue for so long without bad publicity.

Nana Stirs Up Trouble As Park Sung Hoon Starts To Open Up His Heart On “Into The Ring”

Nana Stirs Up Trouble As Park Sung Hoon Starts To Open Up His Heart On “Into The Ring”

Jul 21, 2020
by C. Hong

This week on KBS’s “Into the Ring,” Park Sung Hoon undergoes a change of heart, while Nana stirs up some more trouble in local politics.

“Into the Ring” is about a passionate woman named Goo Se Ra (Nana), who decides to run for local office after getting shut out of every job and teams up with a straight-laced civil servant named Seo Gong Myung (Park Sung Hoon).

Spoilers

Goo Se Ra and Seo Gong Myung got off on the wrong foot, ending up squabbling every time they met. Goo Se Ra was the first person to realize her feelings had changed, sensing her heart beat faster every time she saw Seo Gong Myung. While drunk, she told Seo Gong Myung, “I’m going to keep you in my heart.” After seeing him get out of Yoon Hee Soo (Yoo Da In)’s car, she got jealous and sent him a text saying, “Canceled! You’re erased from my heart.”

On the other hand, Seo Gong Myung is still uncertain about his feelings for Goo Se Ra. He is embarrassed and rejects her talk of “keeping,” but is willing to open the doors at the crack of dawn in order to help her. After he receives a “good morning” text from her, his footsteps get lighter.

nana-into-the-ring-park-sung-hoon.jpg

In the new stills released by KBS, Seo Gong Myung sits at a bench alone, looking out over a view of the city. This is the spot that Goo Se Ra had said was the special place that she often came to recharge her batteries. She had sent Seo Gong Myung a photo of the place, but it remains unclear why Seo Gong Myung is there and who he is calling.

nana-into-the-ring1.jpg

Another set of stills shows Goo Se Ra in the aftermath of her golf crusade, enjoying the chaos unfolding around her as Won So Jung (Bae Hae Sun) looks at her in shock.

Goo Se Ra has been championing the cause of the “helmet grandmothers,” who are threatened by the golf balls that come flying near their house from the golf range nearby. The district representatives are no help, including Won So Jung, the borough chief who got elected on the promise of canceling the golf range’s license. It turned out that Won So Jung and the other district representatives were receiving VIP treatment from the owners of the golf range.

At the end of episode six, unable to hold herself back any longer, Goo Se Ra sent golf balls flying into a PR event where Won So Jung was planning to wash the feet of the senior citizens of her district. She declared, “Is it the policy of this district’s administration to make a big fuss over feet washing while ignoring the real complaints filed by the senior citizens here who live alone?

Preview ep 7

@triplem, I haven’t watched yet. I’m catching up on Monday/Tuesday drama shows instead. I had a feeling that GSR’s ex would want to start something again especially after he’s been butting in with her healthy juice sales. In addition, he’s walking around long face like he’s feeling sympathetic towards GSR on the political front. Therefore, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s trying to get friendly with her. I completely like the SGM jealousy bit. I hope it turns out to be true. It’s time to get him more interested. ^_^

Archived