[Drama 2020] My prettiest moments /When I Was the Prettiest, 내가 가장 예뻤을 때

0ly40

So here are the character descriptions from MBC:

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/wheniwasmostbeautiful/cast/cast05.html

I'm not going to translate everything, and most of it has already been exposited in the show. But just to clarify: the mother (Yeon-Ja) essentially "left" her husband because she can't deal with his injury.

For me, her cruelest moment was when she was complaining about Jin leaving the company and the father said, "If you need me, I can come back to the company."

And she replied, "With that body of yours? Just keep making your dishes."

Gah. She's awful. (Yet, she's still not the worst person in this show.)

Anyway, considering the way his mother acts, I can't blame Jin for assuming that his own wife will react in a similar way.

--

Also, and I don't know if this is important, but the female employee who is very close to Yeon-Ja: her name is Yoon Ji-Yang. She was an orphan in an orphanage that the father used to sponsor, and Yeon-Ja gave her a scholarship to study. She's very talented and smart. Anyway, that's why she is close to their family.

I found out from Episode 8 that the boarding house that the Horrible Aunt runs - apparently, that building belonged to Ye-Ji's father, and now should belong to Ye-Ji.

To me, that actually explains the completely irrational way that Horrible Aunt behaves. Because the big questions for me were - Why does she abuse her niece who did nothing wrong? And why did she insist on destroying all of Ye-Ji's friendships and job prospects and kept telling her she has to stay at this boarding house for the rest of her life? And why does she try to keep Ye-Ji and her mother from meeting after her mother was released from prison? None of that made sense to me before.

One really chilling moment for me was after Ye-Ji left her house with Jin on the day of her father's death memorial. Horrible Aunt's husband said to her, "Let Ye-Ji go. She's already flown away." And Horrible Aunt responds, "If I break her wings, she has to come back." :blink: My initial reaction was "That's terrible!" Then I had to think, "But... why?" It didn't make sense why Aunt has to go this far to torture Ye-Ji. It's like Aunt was obsessed with Ye-Ji.

And now I realize that it was all because Horrible Aunt wants to keep this boarding house. She had to break Ye-Ji and brainwash her so she never leaves. Because if Ye-Ji ever left and started having independent thoughts, she might claim her property later.

Yeah, Horrible Aunt is flippin' evil. I didn't think it was possible for her to be more evil than what we knew, but... alas. I guess there is no bottom.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/wheniwasmostbeautiful/preview/

9회
당신은 날 버린 거야!

하반신 불구가 되어버린 자기 자신에게 화가 난 진(하석진)은 재검사를 받아보자는 연자(박지영)의 제안을 거절한다. 한편, 진이 자신에게 그랬던 것처럼 연꽃밭을 구경시켜주는 예지(임수향). 그곳에서 인호무리와 마주치게 되는데...

Preview Translation:

Episode 9

You're the one who abandoned me!

Jin is angry at himself for having become disabled in the lower half of his body. He refuses his mother's offer for a medical re-examination.

Ye-Ji is showing someone (Jin?) the lotus leaf field just like Jin once did for her. There, they run into In-Ho and his group...

2 hours ago, Jayne Nasution said:

Oh no.....

I begin to think puppy Jisoo is not going to get the girl again...

This will become a trio of noble idiots mess:

Jin will give up Yeji to Hwan.

Hwan will never try to win Yeji again because of Jin's condition

Yeji will stick to Jin and ignore Hwan once again....or and for all?

We're only 1/2 way through. Have hope!

I'm glad that Hwan returned to his original self. I liked that he checked himself and realized he was letting his emotions get the better of him. He is a better person than that.

But the angst never stops, of course.

The coincidences sure were piled high in this episode:

1. Hwan is working on some sort of city redevelopment project. So the area he happens to be working on just happens to be where Ye-Ji's mother works.

2. And he happens to be there just when Ye-Ji's mother is being screamed at and assaulted by In-Ho, the creep classmate who took gross pictures of Ye-Ji in high school. And In-Ho also happens to own the building that Ye-Ji's mom works in.

3. And Ye-Ji just happens to be there!

Okay, so that was... quite the coincidence on top of coincidence and it kind of defies belief. But I'm okay with it.

Speaking of coincidence, I was wondering why Ryu Seung-Min came to work at JinHwan, of all places. It seemed like such a random coincidence? And now I realize that he's there to keep an eye on Ye-Ji because he still loves her. Goodness, it's like I've never watched any K-dramas before. :lol:

We can hate Yeon-Ja for being cruel and inconsiderate to her husband and controlling Ye-Ji with threats and nasty behavior. But let's give her credit for getting things done. She found Jin rather quickly. (Well, it was her brother who found him, but still. Thanks for moving the plot along, sleazy Bro! I guess you're good for something.)

Anyway, real talk about The Tragic Love Triangle:

I am not deeply invested in who Ye-Ji ends up with, although I'm pretty sure it will be one of the brothers, in the end.

Having said that, I think for all intents and purposes, Ye-Ji's marriage to Jin is real. And I like that the show is honoring that. Even though they spent such a short time together, the way she talks to his photo and the way she reacted when she finally saw him again - he is her husband. She waited for him all those years, not just out of loneliness, or propriety, but because she really loved him.

None of this, of course, changes the fact that Hwan's love for Ye-Ji is also lovely and true, still. But as much as I like this actor and would love to see this character end up happy - I physically recoiled when he tried to kiss Ye-Ji on Jeju Island. If Hwan is the endgame, it's going to take a lot to get me there.

Tbh I don't really know where the plot is going atm with Yeji and the two brothers. First off, I AM NOT OKAY with how Jin is using his disability as an excuse for the amount of grief and loss his loved ones had to go through thinking he was dead for 7 WHOLE YEARS. Yes his parents got separated because of the same thing but BRUH how are you taking your wedding vows "Till death do us part" by just pretending to be dead??!!

OK that was a rant. But I am happy to see that Hwan is backing off for real now. I think the only way they can salvage his character now is by making him take a step back now that his brother is back. Cause the only reason he thought he had a chance with YJ in the first place is when he thought Jin was dead. Well now with this new revelation, I can definitely see him taking a back seat a.k.a not actively trying to pursue his 'widowed' sister-in-law :heartbreak:

It will be interesting to see (and really make it a full melo) if Hwan decides to take a step back and YJ then realises that she may have some feelings for him after all...LOL this would take this drama up a notch!

All that being said. This show is a mess and I love it!

@chickfactor Thanks for your thoughts. I agree, I am not committed either way with who Yeji ends up with to be honest.  Also you analysis of the aunt to Yeji is right on. She is a bully and using verbal and emotional abuse to control/manipulate someone she deems weaker to stay in power. So her rants and horrible behaviour to keep the building (greed) and then later taking money from Jin's family and lying to her  mom later she married her off well with gifts. The gal of that woman keeping asking for more to take and take. Then again she is vindicative, rude, eyes filled with dollar signs. She has some compassion and kindness (ok barely) to her hubby and daughter. But dang they both see her obsession and tell her to lay off but she keeps on going.

@blademan Nodding my head, YUP poor Yeji and family spendings millions and poor Hwan checking corpses and bodies for 7 years that is cruel.  Def not great that Jin did that. He is a man of HIGH pride and having that injury is not what he wanted. Then again he was in a sport that had high risks if not disabled he could lose his life. I think it is his ex kept him alive and funded. Plus she paid off the old staff/team to keep their mouths shut so she could have JIn to herself. If she cannot have his heart, she can have his body (though he is checked out and not with her) My guessing as I have not watched today's episode.

today's episode clips ep 8

Also lunch time for me LOL.

The rest in spoilers tag

Spoiler

He spent 7 years with his ex moping about his injury, nursing his ego and is now throwing tantrum at the brother who had to physically check lord knows how many coarpses to find his brother...Asks the wife if she slept with Hwan , the wife who got verbally abused by his nasty mother, emotionally traumatized by his abandonment all over again and looked for him like a crazy person for 7 RickRoll'D years....Jin is trash...run Yeji run

@chickfactor me too, that kiss at jeju...God I shuddered....who thought that was a good idea.....both brothers are weirdos on different levels

It must have been very hard being Hwan.

Daddy was injured while saving him when he was a boy, mommy left him because she couldn't face daddy's condition, big brother left for his car racing, military service and god knows what else. He was growing up lonely, all by himself. Taking care of daddy, witnessing his suicide attempt, his difficult endless therapies. No wonder he was so mature in his teenage years.

Later on he spent years looking for his big brother, checking on John Does, again all by himself.

He had to supress his feelings because the girl that he liked married to his brother.

Now, his brother returns with hurt body and more hurt pride. And he accuses him that he has an affair with his wife??

I don't like you Jin. I SERIOUSLY don't like you.

Ok NOW I get it. This is how the writer will steer Jin's (former) fans. He is easily becoming one of the more messed up characters in this show. And contrasting that with Hwan's matured and responsible self :heartxoxo: tbh I don't think it's a competition ;) 

I <333 that Hwan told YJ that he will back off for real now. He told her to forget what he said to her and assured her that he will act as though it never happened so she doesn't have to walk around on eggshells every time they're together. That is growth. Idk how successful he will be LOL but at least he's actively dissociating himself so YAYYYY :w00t:

Yeah, Jin is becoming a real jacka$$. I guess that's how they get to Ye-Ji + Hwan 4ever.

Let's see:

- Ignore his family for 7 years, knowing they are desperately searching for him and slowly going insane.

- Accuses his long-suffering devoted wife of probably having other men? Note: this was before he ran into In-Ho.

- Then act all huffy when he hears about "le scandale" from In-Ho.

Ridiculous. 7 years with NO contact is long enough for her to have mourned him plenty, then meet another guy, and had three kids and he would have ZERO right to complain. We knew he was selfish, but we didn't know he was delusional.

And who did he spend 7 years with? Ex-girlfriend Kathy Bates from "Misery," so he doesn't get to complain.

Well, we can look forward to a lot of intense glares and swelling Schubert music. :lol:

I have been watching the drama hoping there would be some good times for Hwan. But no luck, I mean he has worse life than even Cinderella. If we summarize all the things he had to go through

- Falls for his teacher in school. Meets her first and then brother comes in and claims the girl he loves. 

- Was even ridiculed by his brother as he says Hwan is not allowed to love her. And the ridiculous reason why he can't protect her? Just cause he is young.

- Had to literally give the girl of his dream to his brother

- Even after that when brother faked his death, had to go through God knows how many corpses to detect the body. And of course no acknowledgement of the trauma he had to go through, not from his mom, not even from Ye Ji. She just says thank you and sorry so casually as if it was no big deal.

- Then had to say sorry countless times to Ye Ji, just cause he still likes her. And then she cuts him off for years without any explanation.

- Then brother comes back, and Hwan confesses how he had to watch his father trying to commit suicide.

-Then again makes sure his brother has a comfortable living environment in their home, checking the wheelchair, organizing his stuff. 

- And now he has to leave his own work of architecture, and takes care of his mom's business just cause according to her, he should help his brother settle back to the work. 

- And now, after all these years when Jin chose to  stay away, now he has the audacity to ask Ye Ji if she slept with hwan. 

- Tbh, I find Jin quite selfish. It's all about him, his sadness, his pain, his sufferings. In any case, I see how Hwan and his dad are way above all the other people in this picture. 

- This whole family is so toxic, I think Hwan and his dad should just go away somewhere else and live a peaceful life. There are a lot of similarities in Jin and his mom and now I see where Jin got his traits from. 

- After all these incidents, I would be quite pissed I guess lol, if Hwan does not have a respectful ending. 

I mean how many more sacrifices the poor boy should make? At this point I am even frustrated at Ye Ji cause I think she never gave him enough respect. And Jin is so selfish he never realized how going after his brother's crush was not a good idea. And all these years he stayed back, he practically made Ye Ji stay as a widow, when she had a husband. Was it right of him to ask if she had a lover or not, when he gave everyone the assumption that he's dead? 

-I do not expect much from this writer anymore cause I doubt he can do justice to the characters. 

1 hour ago, riverie said:

I have been watching the drama hoping there would be some good times for Hwan. But no luck, I mean he has worse life than even Cinderella. If we summarize all the things he had to go through

- Falls for his teacher in school. Meets her first and then brother comes in and claims the girl he loves. 

- Was even ridiculed by his brother as he says Hwan is not allowed to love her. And the ridiculous reason why he can't protect her? Just cause he is young.

- Had to literally give the girl of his dream to his brother

- Even after that when brother faked his death, had to go through God knows how many corpses to detect the body. And of course no acknowledgement of the trauma he had to go through, not from his mom, not even from Ye Ji. She just says thank you and sorry so casually as if it was no big deal.

- Then had to say sorry countless times to Ye Ji, just cause he still likes her. And then she cuts him off for years without any explanation.

- Then brother comes back, and Hwan confesses how he had to watch his father trying to commit suicide.

-Then again makes sure his brother has a comfortable living environment in their home, checking the wheelchair, organizing his stuff. 

- And now he has to leave his own work of architecture, and takes care of his mom's business just cause according to her, he should help his brother settle back to the work. 

- And now, after all these years when Jin chose to  stay away, now he has the audacity to ask Ye Ji if she slept with hwan. 

- Tbh, I find Jin quite selfish. It's all about him, his sadness, his pain, his sufferings. In any case, I see how Hwan and his dad are way above all the other people in this picture. 

- This whole family is so toxic, I think Hwan and his dad should just go away somewhere else and live a peaceful life. There are a lot of similarities in Jin and his mom and now I see where Jin got his traits from. 

- After all these incidents, I would be quite pissed I guess lol, if Hwan does not have a respectful ending. 

I mean how many more sacrifices the poor boy should make? At this point I am even frustrated at Ye Ji cause I think she never gave him enough respect. And Jin is so selfish he never realized how going after his brother's crush was not a good idea. And all these years he stayed back, he practically made Ye Ji stay as a widow, when she had a husband. Was it right of him to ask if she had a lover or not, when he gave everyone the assumption that he's dead? 

-I do not expect much from this writer anymore cause I doubt he can do justice to the characters. 

Beyond that, NO one has growth emotionally in 7 years.  In Ho still hates Hwan, Carry is obsessed with Jin, Da-Woon still has a crush on Hwan, etc....  And I'm still hooked on each episode!

Was just talking to my friend about this when I was explaining to her what the plot was about - hard to find the proper words :sweatingbullets:

But when I told her about Hwan liking YJ as a student - she was like oh that's so common in high school!

Then I explained how Jin (his older brother) found out Hwan likes her but still chooses to pursue her regardless - she literally screamed WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THE BRO CODE?!!!! Hwan met her and liked her first and he's your brother for God's sake that's just wrong!!!

...and that made me think about how not many people has brought up the fact that Jin should NEVER have gone after YJ after finding about Hwan's feelings for her! And if you think about it, his only advantage at the time was age. Jin was older and and an "adult" in the literal sense of the word. But now we have two adult brothers in the picture! I wanna say it's gonna be an equal playing field now - but let's be honest guys, Hwan is already winning on so many levels. At this point, I don't really care who YJ chooses - girl's kinda slow ngl so I'll be happy with an ending where Hwan is happy :kiss_wink: whether it involves her or not.

14 hours ago, chickfactor said:

And who did he spend 7 years with? Ex-girlfriend Kathy Bates from "Misery," so he doesn't get to complain.

Okay....I'm laughing so hard at this! The misery girl is surely miserable right now. Spending 7 years petting her injured ex bf only to let him slip off back to his wife. 

Now I'm sure it wasn't love that drove Jin into the marriage. He's another broken soul of foursome in the family and saw Yeji as a bright star in his dark life that he could hang on to.

Yeji saw Jin, while maybe unconciously, as her ticket for a way out from her venemous aunt. Two broken souls, trying to heal each other and themselves and soon separated by car accident for long years. They didn't really know each other then and the truths is rearing its ugly face 7 years later: they are strangers bound by marriage.

It will take a lot for both, specially Yeji to realize this. 

Not sure how writernim fixes this tangled threads. 

On the side note, I love how Hwan back to his calm and mature self. Once again he shows everyone, including the dense momma, that he is the reliable one, the anchor of the family.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:43 PM, foreverempress said:

Now that hotness is no longer on the scene, I am forced to view this drama based on substance. From my perspective, this script was turned down 15 years ago because it is a poor script with no substance and the powers that be was just using any kind of excuse otherwise. Brother going for brother's woman is tacky in every culture while still alive. In Jewish tradition, if a brother's wife is left widowed without children, the brother is supposed to marry his brother's widow and the children will be credited to the brother that died. Former VP Biden son Hunter Biden got with his dead brothers wife before his body was cold in the ground. I thought that was tacky for several reasons. I am not the person that believes that romantic love (i.e. falling in love, have strong feelings of attachment, and sexual desire) exclusively wins.

There are some dramas that you know what the end is going to be, but it is such a great story and compelling that you watch it because of how it beautifully unfolds. So far, this drama is not it. If they kept hot bodies on the screen, my ADHD would kick in which would distract me (like Oooo shiny) for an otherwise disastrous plot and poor character development. Without hot bodies, I am focused on what I am watching/

Lack of Character Development

Baby brother seems to be sweet, but is spoiled. He wants what he wants and to hell with everyone else.

Big brother internalizes and hold so much pain inside. I agree with another poster here, they will make him out to be a coward to justify the couple they want to see. At least I understand some of his motivation. I say this because the baby brother mentioned that he does not want a coward for an older brother.

Both brothers' mother is too cartoonish for me to take seriously.

Female lead is bland. I like her, but I am not that invested. I do not mind Mary Sue characters. I like sometimes for women to be rescued. She has a certain fragility that triggers the male sex desire to protect which has driven both brothers to her.

Predictions

Option 1: Baby brother wins the girl and the father will be used to guilt trip the older brother for having left her. Then big brother will admit he is not worthy to dust his wife and baby brother's shoes.

Option 2: The female dies in the end so that the brother can stop fighting and develop a relationship.

Options 3: The show gets canceled

Sometimes, I actually hate when my predictions start to come true. This drama is moving in the exact direction I thought it would. I standby everything I said 100%. You know your script writing is weak when you have to vilify and make cartoons out of your other male lead to justify your end result. Hwan cannot shine on his own without the writer destroying other characters.

Dropping this drama with an occasional check in on the last episode. 

1 hour ago, foreverempress said:

Sometimes, I actually hate when my predictions start to come true. This drama is moving in the exact direction I thought it would. I standby everything I said 100%. You know your script writing is weak when you have to vilify and make cartoons out of your other male lead to justify your end result. Hwan cannot shine on his own without the writer destroying other characters.

Dropping this drama with an occasional check in on the last episode. 

I am sorry to say this but Hwan is actually shining on his own without the writer destroying the other characters. :)

He actually gave up on the girl of his dreams the moment he realized that she wanted to marry his brother.

Please realize that he only made an advance on her when he thought that his brother is dead. It has been 7 years, so I don't blame him for thinking that. Also he only wanted Ye Ji to move out cause she was practically living as a shadow, as a widow without any hope for future. 

When you love someone you care for them, and have concerns about them so I found it only natural that he came out a  bit strict. I don't know how he's the worst one out of all when he's the one who always had to put himself at the end.

16 hours ago, blademan said:

...and that made me think about how not many people has brought up the fact that Jin should NEVER have gone after YJ after finding about Hwan's feelings for her! And if you think about it, his only advantage at the time was age. Jin was older and and an "adult" in the literal sense of the word. But now we have two adult brothers in the picture! I wanna say it's gonna be an equal playing field now - but let's be honest guys, Hwan is already winning on so many levels. At this point, I don't really care who YJ chooses - girl's kinda slow ngl so I'll be happy with an ending where Hwan is happy :kiss_wink: whether it involves her or not.

Exactly my point. People tend to forget that Hwan called dibs on her first lol. Forget about being brothers, even friends don't do that. Tbh at this point I would be happy if Hwan just moves out of this toxic house and start on a fresh note. I don't think even Ye Ji deserves someone like Hwan.  Ye Ji, Jin and Ex-girlfriend Kathy Bates can live together happily ever after haha.

11 hours ago, riverie said:

I am sorry to say this but Hwan is actually shining on his own without the writer destroying the other characters. :)

He actually gave up on the girl of his dreams the moment he realized that she wanted to marry his brother.

Please realize that he only made an advance on her when he thought that his brother is dead. It has been 7 years, so I don't blame him for thinking that. Also he only wanted Ye Ji to move out cause she was practically living as a shadow, as a widow without any hope for future. 

When you love someone you care for them, and have concerns about them so I found it only natural that he came out a  bit strict. I don't know how he's the worst one out of all when he's the one who always had to put himself at the end.

Exactly my point. People tend to forget that Hwan called dibs on her first lol. Forget about being brothers, even friends don't do that. Tbh at this point I would be happy if Hwan just moves out of this toxic house and start on a fresh note. I don't think even Ye Ji deserves someone like Hwan.  Ye Ji, Jin and Ex-girlfriend Kathy Bates can live together happily ever after haha.

I strongly, but respectfully disagree. Hwan only shines with the destruction of every character, other than that, he is really vanilla, spoiled, and kinda of creepy. What is epic about a young kid wanting an older woman that chose his age-appropriate brother that tries to get with her at every turn for 7-years?  That is not cute. Hwan was and is just as selfish as everyone else. He wanted what he wanted and kept on pursuing it until recently. A Minor teenager calling dibs on a grown woman may have worked out with Ms. Robinson, but at least the boy she seduced away from her daughter was 21 years old. Every move Hwan made was to satisfy Hwan's desires first. Does he care for Ye-Ji? Perhaps, but why? Because his heart is involved and because she has the aura of fragility that appeals to his need to rescue & protect; that only makes him want her more. Hwan is not special or an angel-he is a man. If the writer was worth his/her salt, s/he would not have to destroy Jin by paralyzation and abandonment to make Hwan stand out; that is tacky and shows a lack of confidence in her Main male lead.  Him moving out of a toxic house will not mean jack when he is a contributing factor; all of the characters are contributing factors and are severely cartoonish and underdeveloped. 

The writer clearly wants Hwan to be the hero and get the girl with minor backlash because it is his brother's wife. How is that accomplished? Destroy Jin at all costs! Apparently the audience is not buying it with the low ratings they are receiving.

Archived