Quantcast

[Drama 2020] My prettiest moments /When I Was the Prettiest, 내가 가장 예뻤을 때

11 hours ago, Romance Tag said:

I don't get the whole taboo in society, they are just human prejudice that were established in some parts of the world. 

I mean what is a taboo in one place might be ok in another. 

So in my personal opinion " Break the rules, not the laws, but the rules". 

If two people realised they love each other, why should they suffer just because of some human created belief?  Would it have been better if Hwan and Jin were just friends and their families were ultra close? I mean it would still hurt them, yet I have heard people say that it's ok, because they wouldn't be related. 

Just no. Somethings are taboo & should be prejudiced for a reason-getting with your sister in law is one of them. Being in love is not everything and I think that sentiment is the wrecking ball of society. Your LOVE should not make everyone else around you miserable. The Being In love to sustain a relationship theory has failed. If being in love was all it took to make a marriage work then there would be NO divorces. Actually, couples that married for being in love (I'm talking about the feeling and not the commitment) have the highest divorce rate in every society.

We are all human, we all have human created beliefs, and if I were to take your quote "why should they suffer just because of some human created belief", Is because standards, values, morality, rules, and laws that societies have the ability to thrive and exist. Post-modernism sentiment is what destroys societies. 

Th

Everything I predicted manifested (The option they would not be together, but would depart to restore the brotherly relationship); this script was trash from start to finish. This writer is definitely on my HELL NOO list!

• Like 3
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked the ending, i think they could be together in a few years/in the future. Things happens, people don't choose who they fall in love with, and besides, they are both adults: it's not a crime for

@rainbowwarm @Kor Yer Chang Thanks for your thoughts on the brothers and drama.    @confusedheart326 love your analysis of the brothers. Yes both are handsome and comfort Yeji but though I love

I’m simply old fashioned and can’t get behind those two ending up together.  She needs to move on by herself and become her own person.  

2 hours ago, foreverempress said:

Just no. Somethings are taboo & should be prejudiced for a reason-getting with your sister in law is one of them. Being in love is not everything and I think that sentiment is the wrecking ball of society. Your LOVE should not make everyone else around you miserable. The Being In love to sustain a relationship theory has failed. If being in love was all it took to make a marriage work then there would be NO divorces. Actually, couples that married for being in love (I'm talking about the feeling and not the commitment) have the highest divorce rate in every society.

We are all human, we all have human created beliefs, and if I were to take your quote "why should they suffer just because of some human created belief", It is because standards, values, morality, rules, and laws that societies have the ability to thrive and exist. Post-modernism sentiment is what destroys societies. 

Everything I predicted manifested; this script was trash from start to finish. This writer is definitely on my HELL NOO list!

You have the right to state your opinion as long as you don't pronounce it as universal truth, because then it's dictatorship. I stated mine :kiss_wink: 

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1
  • Insightful 3
11 hours ago, Romance Tag said:

I don't get the whole taboo in society, they are just human prejudice that were established in some parts of the world. 

I mean what is a taboo in one place might be ok in another. 

So in my personal opinion " Break the rules, not the laws, but the rules". 

If two people realised they love each other, why should they suffer just because of some human created belief?  Would it have been better if Hwan and Jin were just friends and their families were ultra close? I mean it would still hurt them, yet I have heard people say that it's ok, because they wouldn't be related. 

This is my first comment on Soompi, I was a quiet reader for a veeeery long time until now but this drama made me register here. 

I completely agree with you. Why do they have to suffer all the rest of their lives, in the future live with people they do not love and make them suffer as well because of that, or stay alone, when they could be together, happy and supportive. Only because of their status 7 years ago, because of the egoistic brother who did not take the little brother serious ( and who, I agree, is not completely evil) and because of some prejudices of the society? Everyone has only one life. There is no second chance.

This drama left such a bitter aftertaste. I enjoyed watching this melancholic rhythm, beautiful locations, nature, but the plot was quite bad and I hoped for at least any sense in the end. This ending is so disappointing. Everything happened for nothing. This is the second bitter ending for me after SH. Somehow not a very good drama but it will stay and ache in my heart.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2020] My prettiest moments /When I Was the Prettiest, 내가 가장 예뻤을 때

I haven’t read comments yet, but I’ll say what I thought all along.  Even through his selfishness, I believed Jin loved YJ more than she loved him.  It took the entire drama for her to say it.  He was just a means of escape for her.  I’m glad she chose neither brother.

• Like 2

Thoughts after the finale:

Just want to talk about how ridiculous Jin was in Episode 15:

- It finally became clear Ye-Ji is leaving him. So his desperate idea to make her stay - "I won't stop you from leaving me, but give me just one year so we can do all the romantic stuff we never got to do." HAHAHAHA. What? Please waste one more year of your life in this dead marriage so I can feel better about myself? (She shuts him down.)

- And his last ditch effort to somehow keep her around is, "You will forget me, but you can't forget Hwan, can you?" So... HWAN is the last bait that he's trying to dangle in front of her?

- And thought it was hilarious how he thought he could dictate what she could do with her life. "We can break up but you can't even be FRIENDS with Hwan." Dude, you really do not get it.

Anyway, enough about Jin.

Both Hwan and Ye-Ji have acknowledged - they have strong feelings for each other, but they won't act on it. And I don't think anyone can judge them for that. People can't help the way they feel, but they can control their behavior. And I think both people have shown that they are willing to not act on their feelings - not to adhere to societal expectations, but out of respect for their family - which I think is an important distinction.

Ultimately, they're both just considerate people, not the kind of people who take whatever they want at the expense of others. It's a very "Age of Innocence" type of ending - what they love about each other turns out to be the very reason they can't be together. I wasn't expecting this exact ending, but it felt right.

• Like 8

Ok.  I’ll dare to go there with these questions.  For those who think it’s okay for Hwan and Ye Ji to be together, IF it was your brother or sister that shared the same bed with your wife or husband, would that not be a problem for you?  Could you bare the mental images of them making love or sharing what you deemed special and private while you were together?  Would that not torment you?  Just curious

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Rosaly said:

This is my first comment on Soompi, I was a quiet reader for a veeeery long time until now but this drama made me register here. 

I completely agree with you. Why do they have to suffer all the rest of their lives, in the future live with people they do not love and make them suffer as well because of that, or stay alone, when they could be together, happy and supportive. Only because of their status 7 years ago, because of the egoistic brother who did not take the little brother serious ( and who, I agree, is not completely evil) and because of some prejudices of the society? Everyone has only one life. There is no second chance.

This drama left such a bitter aftertaste. I enjoyed watching this melancholic rhythm, beautiful locations, nature, but the plot was quite bad and I hoped for at least any sense in the end. This ending is so disappointing. Everything happened for nothing. This is the second bitter ending for me after SH. Somehow not a very good drama but it will stay and ache in my heart.

I agree.  I really hated the ending, it seemed to me more selfishness and cowardice on the part of Ye Ji than anything else.  Yuck.

• Like 3

After watching the ending I was satisfied, especially for Jin.  Despite all the things he did wrong, his wife's heart was somewhere else.  Even if your the worst person in a marriage it takes 2 to fail it.  How can she really put her heart in her marriage if her heart is with Hwan.  I think thats why they didnt end up together at the end as well.  

If it was like other dramas in which they swapped partners they would of had emotional distance between the parties involved and slowly brought them together.  This wasnt the case, it was a household full of heated emotions.  Now everyone has space and everyone is settling down more.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, calledtoteach said:

Ok.  I’ll dare to go there with these questions.  For those who think it’s okay for Hwan and Ye Ji to be together, IF it was your brother or sister that shared the same bed with your wife or husband, would that not be a problem for you?  Could you bare the mental images of them making love or sharing what you deemed special and private while you were together?  Would that not torment you?  Just curious

What does it matter who it is? If I love somebody it'd hurt even if it was a random person that they were with. However if their heart belongs to somebody else I want them to be happy with whoever it is. 

If it happened to be my brother/ sister and they were really apologetic about it, said they have no idea how, but it happened or if it was my own fault, then I'd tell them to be happy.

Life is unexpected, we cannot predict things. The last thing I'd want is to either hold on to something that doesn't belong to me or to stop somebody from choosing freely. 

• Like 5

Dramaland.

It can have time travels, paralel worlds, alien returns from blackhole, a country full of chaebols and countless contract marriages, hardworking-but-smiles always candy, crossdressers, crossgenders, crossborders, amnesia prince, walking mermaid, loving cyborg, prosecutor who is a vampire, a zombie detective, a 1000yrs old fox with 9 tails, a 1000yrs goblin in relationship with a highschool student, you name it.

But never, never, never allows the taboo of loving a jackass husband's brother, let alone to find a happiness with that person.

Thank you drama, now I can sleep well.

Wake me up when the society rules change.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

That was quite expected and the most plausible one. All of them had to pay their dues, Jin got to paid his by losing YJ. Meanwhile YJ had to pay hers as well, she can't be with Hwan, she can love him but not be with him and that is a different kind of hell, she may managed to get away with her Aunt but she chose to jump to another by marrying Jin, just as she said.. she was desperate, regretful about choosing not to wait Hwan.

I'm just tad bitterish on how Jin had it easy always. After everything he got his brother's forgiveness.. Got to stand up back to his feet, gain the company and was always biased-ly loved by the parents. The brother who got robbed is still in pain and pretty sure will die alone.. light of his youth that's a big BS, he was robbed..his childhood, his youth, his road to adult and most of all the love of his life.

I'm not surprised we didn't get a single kiss, I actually like the idea of spending the night alone together but nothing happened.. just shows how decent of a person YJ is and the lover who respects and loves her with every fiber of his being. It's admirable getting to witness how great the love that hasn't even get to start and awfully sad that they keep ending things just to find their selves longing and stealing moments, a day or two that keeps them going in life.

Since the drama is over I'm just going to be a silent reader on this thread, until next time guys!

:heartxoxo:

Spoiler

With all due respect, I have no intention to invoke an argument or something but this is just me sharing my own opinion according to my own beliefs.

Thing is in the old days, like Goryeo era they even marry their own blood and even way before to keep the blood royal. Taboo? yes it is. How about a divorcee who remarries? It is a sin as well, not by the human law but it is a sin to our almighty God (married couple could only be separated by death). Just as amber said they'll get scorch wherever they go if they went down that path but we need to remember we are all sinners, in due time we are all going to get judged. If the drama went that way, they'll be living a sinful life and again it is not for "US", mere humans, fellow sinners to judged others we have no right to do so.

• Like 7

Finally finished. Well a little sad but reasonable ending. I take 2 endings from this. 3 years down the road, they will get together. Or they will lead their own life with keeping each other in the heart forever. 

• Like 6

There is something called "levirate marriage." It's a custom that obligates a widow to marry her husband's brother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levirate_marriage

It's apparently ancient custom and I'm in no way suggesting that this is how things should be. But it is a good way to remind ourselves that cultural norms can vary.

--

This wasn't the greatest show ever, and it's definitely not a re-watch for me (because I am not a masochist). But it really got me thinking a lot about it during the week.

Most importantly, I feel like it successfully told the story it wanted to tell. I don't think they changed the story to suit social conventions or wrote themselves into a corner and just finished off with some cop-out ending. The story was always going to be about a love that's never consummated, but how that doesn't make it any less meaningful. And I feel like that story, and the belief in that love, was conveyed, more or less.

As far as the overall quality of the show... my conclusion is that it felt precisely engineered to manipulate the audience. Hwan and Ye-Ji will ultimately never cross that physical line, at least not by the last episode - but the viewer did have to emotionally accept their love, and the show spent 16 episodes doing everything possible to establish that.

For example:

JIN - Okay, I will never get over how hilariously obtuse and selfish he is. Until the very last episode, he's having these revelations about himself. ("Wow, I'm such a selfish person!") Shall we give him a cookie? And seriously, who disappears on their wife for seven years and never even calls her once? There is no way anyone can be expected to endure a marriage like this. Let's not even talk about how he was living with Carrie the whole time. Anyway, this is what I mean - Jin is so ridiculously terrible that it feels manipulative.

YE-JI is an emotional abuse victim - This show did a "good" job of showing the journey of an emotional abuse victim. At the beginning of the show, she had some kind of "stockholm syndrome" or something that prevented her from leaving her abusive aunt, who viciously sabotaged her friendships and job opportunities to isolate her.

So I think Ye-Ji needed someone to wrest her from this situation, and Jin, for better or worse, was the person who could do this for her. (Seriously, he had to physically pull her away from her screaming aunt. I mean, What.The.??)

And it had to be someone like Jin. Because Ye-Ji's first boyfriend, Ryu Seung-Min had just graduated from law school (i.e., a competent adult), but their relationship did not survive her tragic past. The very existence of Ryu Seung-Min (who is around until Episode 15!) is a contrivance actually.

And all that explains why she married Jin so fast and even agreed to such insulting pre-nup terms. She had self-esteem issues from the abuse, and felt like no one could ever love her. That's probably why she waited for Jin for seven years. She just wasn't in a state of mind where she can make wise life choices and fully consider her own wants and needs.

The fact that Jin even expected her to wait for him that long and even dared to ask her to forgive him for living with Carrie indicates that he doesn't fully respect her, in part because he knows that she is an abuse victim who had no family support, and would therefore put up with a lot. (It occurred to me that that might be the reason he was so hostile to Ye-Ji's mom at first. He wants to isolate her so he can control her.)

Typing this out is making me sad. He really treated her terribly.

Which reminds me that I previously said that Jin may have a rescue fantasy when it comes to women - like with both Carrie and Ye-Ji. A rescue fantasy is fine, but after he rescues women in bad situations, he mistreats them and expects them to put up with it. Wow, I just realized what a piece of trash he is.

Anyway, the story needed the female lead to suffer through a lot of really grotesque situations in order for the viewer to emotionally accept the love between her and Hwan. It was very precise in telling the story of a decent but emotionally traumatized person who got herself into a messy situation, but ultimately recovering herself and finding some peace.

I'm not saying that I think this show did a great job. I personally think they overdid the grotesque elements and made them too ridiculous, which made this show very punishing to watch.

But the show more or less succeeded in what they set out to do. They got us to hate a disabled person. The female lead's greatest trauma is not watching her father get shot in front of her, but the horrific emotional abuse that her aunt put her through for apparently no reason at all. Any scandalous shock from her love for her brother-in-law is designed to be completely blunted by all these outré elements.

Basically, they set out to tell a messed up story, and indeed, they've succeeded. And ultimately, I'll remember the lovely parts, like when Hwan tells Ye-Ji, "Thanks for coming into my world," despite accepting that they won't be together. That's really so sweet, (well, bittersweet) and I really did enjoy those lovely parts of this show.

- I really like OST 8, and the rest of the music is pretty good, too.

- Da-Woon is so pretty, I hope she finally finds love.

- I fear for Jeong-Il's future. (My biggest problem with this show is that there is no real reckoning with Horrible Aunt.)

- Ryu Seung-Min. WOW, talk about long-suffering love and devotion. HAHA, he outdid both Hwan and Ye-Ji.

--

I watched this show with my husband. After the final episode, I asked him what he thought and he said, "Well, this is what happens when you live in the boonies and don't meet a lot of new people." :lol: 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 4
2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

- Ryu Seung-Min. WOW, talk about long-suffering love and devotion. HAHA, he outdid both Hwan and Ye-Ji.

Sorry to cut your insightful post short. I just had to say that out of 3 Ye Ji really chose the worst guy. I do think she would have been better off either waiting for Hwan or sticking with RSM despite his father's behaviour. I am sure she would have come out happier in the end. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, calledtoteach said:

It is very subjective, I think it doesn't seem right to make it personal and bring our family into it. :)

5 hours ago, chickfactor said:

There is something called "levirate marriage." It's a custom that obligates a widow to marry her husband's brother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levirate_marriage

It's apparently ancient custom and I'm in no way suggesting that this is how things should be. But it is a good way to remind ourselves that cultural norms can vary.

interestingly, i think in past many things were common. In ancient times, I mean. Now we are actually the 'society' we are so awfully scared of lol, and then we care more about what society will think instead of saying 'my feelings matter' or my emotions matter. 

I think there is always so much pressure that women have to go through. If a man was supposed to get married to the sister of his deceased wife it won't be an issue. But if the opposite was the case, society rolls eyes left and right. So unfair tbh. There was a drama of Rain where he falls for the sister of his death girlfriend and nobody said a thing lol. I can't remember but I'm sure I have read pieces of literature where similar stories took place. 

I am at least glad that they acknowledged that ye ji's marriage to jin was a wrong decision and that she didn't really love him. I am also glad that she says it finally that she loves him too. The flashbacks at least were like a proof that it wasn't just one way. She missed him too after making him go away in jeju. She acknowledges her own feeling and hwan needed that.. 

What I couldn't accept is that she didn't go to the US with hwan. Even her mom says do what makes you happy and she decided to overlook her feelings. This part I felt like this was coming more from the writer's point of view as if she could not accept that. Imo, a woman from today will probably take that opportunity. If my mom says that to me, lol I would not care much about society. But that's just me. :D But in any case, it felt like the writer already had the ending in her mind, so she deliberately chose that ending. 

6 hours ago, Firefly said:

Finally finished. Well a little sad but reasonable ending. I take 2 endings from this. 3 years down the road, they will get together. Or they will lead their own life with keeping each other in the heart forever. 

Funny you say that, cause to me personally that photo that both of them has , was like a hope that they will meet again. Since she knows where particularly Hwan is going to work. So three years down the line they could meet again accidentally. From the way they both held on to the picture that's the ending I decided to take haha. 

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 2

I guess I am in the minority here...... I absolutely LOVED this drama, scandalous or not!! My ideal ending would have been a time jump of like three years after which they get together, but I can live with the ending we were given. I think that despite the crazy premise of brothers with one woman, the writer argued the case well for her characters. Jin did not just become selfish overnight so that we can hate him and accept that Hwan and Ye Ji should be together... there was a clear progression and descent we can trace through his actions. Hwan was loving and devoted and despite the "scandalous-ness" of the relationship, I wanted them together. And Ye Ji was "pitiful" enough and had a realistic bond enough for me to want her and Hwan to get together.:D 

Writernim didn't rely on ludicrousness to carry the story. The dialogues the characters had were convincing enough to explain their feelings, especially in the last two episodes. I did not feel like I was being force fed with justifications for the OTP to be together. 

It may not seem palatable because many here do not see how a brother in law can end up with his sister in law. And maybe in real life I would gag, tbh, especially because we are not privy to their hearts the way we are in a drama. But in the safe fantasy world that is KDrama, I had no problem with Hwan and Jin together. It's too bad that they didn't kiss or have a goodbye shag... or end up together after a time jump like I wanted.

I loved this drama and I'll definitely rewatch it!!

EDIT: Someone write me fanfic of the OTP finally sharing a steamy night together!!

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
19 hours ago, calledtoteach said:

It's a sign of a person whose character is dirrty, selfish, and trifling.  People like that would throw you under bus for their happiness.   It would be a problem for me because I did not raise my adult daughters to be like that and if they tried it, they would get corrected immediately! 

Mama didn't raise no THOTS with low impulse control.

:ok:

• LOL 2