[Drama 2020] My prettiest moments /When I Was the Prettiest, 내가 가장 예뻤을 때

0ly40

i was reluctant to watch epi 5 as I didnt want to see Hwan gone.  

but i love the kiss scenes between Jin and YeJi.  Very natural chemistry and very mature scenes.  Not the typical Kdrama type of skinship.

did get some revelation though.  So the evil aunt is YeJi's paternal aunt.  but I still dont understand her enmity towards YeJi.  YeJi is also a 'victim' in this sense.  She 'lost' both her parents and she didnt commit the murder.  I still hate her aunt though.  Super duper irritating

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a really strange show for me...

So far I really dislike Jin.  He is a coward and a bully and has shown no respect for Ye-Ji's feelings or desires.  Even when Ye-Ji explicitly discussed that with him in episode 5 he didn't change.  

I don't dislike Ye-Ji but I don't really like her.  I'm not sure if that is the character or the way the actress is playing her as her most common facial expression is being clueless.

So far Carry and Yeon-Ja seem to be cartoon villian's without any real personalities.  I'm a little bummed by this as I feel really liked Hwang Seung-Un in XX and would like to her character as a real person.

I like Hwan but agree that he is really too young to think his feeling's for Ye-Ji are realistic (although she deserves a TON of blame for not setting him straight initially.)

Despite all these complaints I was really hooked until episode 5 which did nothing at all for me.  It will be interesting to see where they go with the next episode. 

Finished watching yesterday's episode. Many are thinking Jin died but I feel he may has just disappeared because I think his body was never found. The writer will keep us guessing and there might be a twist . We don't know because the casts in the their press conference don't even know the ending.

What got me interested in the drama is that  I love the leads first. I have always been a fan of all three of the leads and Im Soo Hyang is one of my favourite actresses. She has tried various roles and I admire her for her diversity.

I read somewhere that the writer wrote this script 15 years ago but never made it into a drama because of people's preception that this kind of love is taboo especially among the conservative knetz who don't like siblings fighting for the same woman. And actually the writer wanted to try out the script in a sageuk drama but the pd wants to try out in present time drama. The pd decided to try out this drama although this is taboo to many but I guess it does happen in reality and I am curious as to how the writer and pd will tackle this issue.

The cinematography is beautiful, ost is soothing to the ears and even the background musical pieces are nice. I actually admire the leads who dare to take up the drama which many people might feel uncomfortable but I believed it will be a healing drama. I enjoyed the episodes so far.Straight to the point and a different kind of melodrama. It may be heartbreaking but it's a matured adult melodrama which I like. There have been positive and negative reviews in Naver but many are curious too. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEnNbIVpqfw/?utm_source=ig_embed

This is the third ost and I like it too. The other two earler ost are nice. I hope we have one ost per week.

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020] My prettiest moments /When I Was the Prettiest, 내가 가장 예뻤을 때 - Wed & Thu @ 21:30 KST
On 9/3/2020 at 10:34 PM, confusedheart326 said:

@gladys57 He gets killed in the end? :bawling:Oh such a waste! Why? Oh why? 

I'm only GUESSING as many of Jisoo's fans (please, I'm NOT INSISTING that HSJ is the main lead) insisted HSJ's only the 2nd lead and Jisoo will get the girl. As he's a racedriver, probably he may get into a fatal accident. Whatever, I hope it'll be an acceptable ENDING TO ME!:tounge_xd:

I'll watch till the end even if HSJ gets a bad ending. So far I'm loving his "non-stereo typed role" here unlike his other dramas. Many kdrama watchers criticised his stereo typed roles.

As I've mentioned much earlier, I hope fans here are civilised enough NOT TO FIGHT over the actors. I'm a grandmum of 2 and will accept whatever the ENDING!:kiss_wink:

HSJ FIGHTING, even if you dont get the girl! :love:

7 hours ago, gladys57 said:

I'm only GUESSING as many of Jisoo's fans (please, I'm NOT INSISTING that HSJ is the main lead) insisted HSJ's only the 2nd lead and Jisoo will get the girl. As he's a racedriver, probably he may get into a fatal accident. Whatever, I hope it'll be an acceptable ENDING TO ME!:tounge_xd:

I'll watch till the end even if HSJ gets a bad ending. So far I'm loving his "non-stereo typed role" here unlike his other dramas. Many kdrama watchers criticised his stereo typed roles.

As I've mentioned much earlier, I hope fans here are civilised enough NOT TO FIGHT over the actors. I'm a grandmum of 2 and will accept whatever the ENDING!:kiss_wink:

HSJ FIGHTING, even if you dont get the girl! :love:

Debating is fun, arguing isn't.

Not a JS's fan, but at the moment shipping Hwan with the FL.

In my opinion he is the ML, just because it seems like the story is told from his POV, but no idea who is going to end up with the FL. I mean it's not that uncommon for the 2nd ML to get the girl.

I am ISH fan but for some reason I do not like her character here. I like Jisoo a lot from Angry Mom but thus far the bigger brother stole the show...I like his manly attitude.

I will continue to watch this show regardless. We shall find out where the writer takes us.

4 hours ago, emmie said:

i dont think Hwan died either.  Cos that would have made it too simple.  though I dont quite understand how he can just disappear.

I like the premise of the next episode where FL keeps her distance from Jin.

Wait, Hwan( the younger brother) died? I haven't watched the last episode, but from what I read it's the other way around, isn't it? :blink:

Oh my that confession by Jin! Save me! Be my home! *heart melting* I am sure many would consider it to be selfish of him. Yes, he admits he is being selfish. But to be someone's refuge, someone's safe haven.... I don't know what conveys love if not this.

Now, if I be the devil's advocate and assume that FL ends up with the much desired Hwan and not Jin, won't it be selfish on FL's part because Hwan becomes her refuge, her safe haven. 

Anyway, coming back to the story, I am still heartbroken over the fact that Jin is already MIA. I was so looking forward to HSJ. I hope to see him in a new drama soon where he is his glorious bad boy self  and hopefully, gets the girl.

This is probably the first time I don't want Jisoo to "get the girl." I just find the FL to be so insufferably boring and bland. She's like a textbook Mary Sue. 

I can already tell I'm going to have second (third?) lead syndrome with Amber. She's cute and fun also her chemistry with Hwan >>> 

At some point, the preview said, "We don't know if he's dead or alive." But he's been gone for about three years, so they accept that he's probably dead? What mysterious circumstances. Was he in a car crash during his race? How does he just disappear like that?

I think Carrie Jeong plays a role. She's not a likable character but she's there for a reason, not likely to just disappear from the story suddenly.

By the way, based on the character description - she is that Chairman's mistress. So ... she had a relationship with Jin which is kind of "cheating" on him or something? So after that, the Chairman ordered him to marry her (???) and he refused and that's why he blackballed his racing team... (???) Yeah, what a hot mess.

So they're going to spend the next 10-ish episodes building up the relationship between Hwan and Ye-Ji, as she grieves and he grows from a boy into a man... and I guess that's the real meat of the story. (I am here for it!)

8 hours ago, chickfactor said:

So they're going to spend the next 10-ish episodes building up the relationship between Hwan and Ye-Ji, as she grieves and he grows from a boy into a man... and I guess that's the real meat of the story. (I am here for it!)

I am not sure for how many episodes, but I think this is what is going to happen. They will build up their relationships and Jin will return just as the FL will begin accepting her feelings for Hwan. That's when the real mess will begin, emotional turmoil all around, us included :D

13 minutes ago, Romance Tag said:

I am not sure for how many episodes, but I think this is what is going to happen. They will build up their relationships and Jin will return just as the Ye-Ji will begin accepting her feelings for Hwan. That's when the real mess will begin, emotional turmoil all around, us included :D

Okay, I didn't see the official MBC website until now. The show poster on the site pretty much tells you the endgame.

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/wheniwasmostbeautiful/index.html

Honestly, that's a funny picture. The pure, white couple and the dark, dangerous couple. Frolicking in a meadow together. Haha.

--

Translation of Ep. 6 Preview:

6회
여기가 제 집이에요.

진(하석진)이 실종된 지 3년 후인 2017년. 연자(박지영)의 분노는 괜스레 예지에게 향한다. 한편, 예지(임수향)의 친모 고운(김미경)이 출감했다는 소식이 전해지며 얘지의 고민은 깊어가는데...

--

Episode 6 - This is my house

It's 2017 and Jin has been missing for three years. Yeon-Ja (his mother)'s rage is aimed towards Ye-Ji. Ye-Ji's worries grow when she hears the news that her mother was released from prison...

i havent watch the drama yet but seriously isnt the plot a bit ridiculous??

like seriously

you got older brother who overtook his younger brother first love but also bring up his own mess ( carrie jung ) and then suddenly he dissapeared for three years now which most likely if he is still alive then it is amnesia or something like that. and then you got jisoo comforting his first love aka his sister in law.

i know we got some bit of fantasy or something but this is just from casual viewpoint just straight up ridiculous man. i will try follow the cut scene for this drama but i dont even know which direction this drama want to go with. 

you know it is not right for Ji soo to be with his first love. omg 

On 9/9/2020 at 12:57 AM, Samuel Yohanes said:

you know it is not right for Ji soo to be with his first love. omg 

Knowing k-drama, they'll find a way to make it all right for Hwan to end up with Yeji. Like, turn Jin into a giant piece of crap and mistreat his wife so badly she has to leave him, or kill him off so she has no "burdens" or something.

Hi All!

Saw the episde yesterday and def agree that Jin is alive. If there is no BODY, too suspicious and early for him to have died so soon.

scenes clips from today's episode 7 9/10/2020 (more in the spoilers tag)

Spoiler

ep 8 preview

Now that hotness is no longer on the scene, I am forced to view this drama based on substance. From my perspective, this script was turned down 15 years ago because it is a poor script with no substance and the powers that be was just using any kind of excuse otherwise. Brother going for brother's woman is tacky in every culture while still alive. In Jewish tradition, if a brother's wife is left widowed without children, the brother is supposed to marry his brother's widow and the children will be credited to the brother that died. Former VP Biden son Hunter Biden got with his dead brothers wife before his body was cold in the ground. I thought that was tacky for several reasons. I am not the person that believes that romantic love (i.e. falling in love, have strong feelings of attachment, and sexual desire) exclusively wins.

There are some dramas that you know what the end is going to be, but it is such a great story and compelling that you watch it because of how it beautifully unfolds. So far, this drama is not it. If they kept hot bodies on the screen, my ADHD would kick in which would distract me (like Oooo shiny) for an otherwise disastrous plot and poor character development. Without hot bodies, I am focused on what I am watching/

Lack of Character Development

Baby brother seems to be sweet, but is spoiled. He wants what he wants and to hell with everyone else.

Big brother internalizes and hold so much pain inside. I agree with another poster here, they will make him out to be a coward to justify the couple they want to see. At least I understand some of his motivation. I say this because the baby brother mentioned that he does not want a coward for an older brother.

Both brothers' mother is too cartoonish for me to take seriously.

Female lead is bland. I like her, but I am not that invested. I do not mind Mary Sue characters. I like sometimes for women to be rescued. She has a certain fragility that triggers the male sex desire to protect which has driven both brothers to her.

Predictions

Option 1: Baby brother wins the girl and the father will be used to guilt trip the older brother for having left her. Then big brother will admit he is not worthy to dust his wife and baby brother's shoes.

Option 2: The female dies in the end so that the brother can stop fighting and develop a relationship.

Options 3: The show gets canceled:hackingspree:

Archived