[Drama 2020] My prettiest moments /When I Was the Prettiest, 내가 가장 예뻤을 때

0ly40

The gall of Carrie to ask to have a chance to say goodbye when she purposefully kept Jin away from his family for 7 years.  Even if he did ask her to do so initially, it's extremely cruel to have his parents suffer through the 7 long years ( not even talking about YJ since she's her love opponent)

As for the brothers in love, I don't get the calling dibs on someone.  Errr she gets a choice/say too.  

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, emmie said:

The gall of Carrie to ask to have a chance to say goodbye when she purposefully kept Jin away from his family for 7 years.  Even if he did ask her to do so initially, it's extremely cruel to have his parents suffer through the 7 long years ( not even talking about YJ since she's her love opponent)

As for the brothers in love, I don't get the calling dibs on someone.  Errr she gets a choice/say too.  

Jin didn't want to go back and didn't want anyone to know, the cruelty to his parents is on him, not Carrie.

I agree that Yeji has a say on who she dates.  However, for Jin to pursue her after Hwan asks him not to is rotten.  It seems to me that Jin was really only interested in her because Hwan asked him not to pursue her.

8 hours ago, emmie said:

yeap of course, I was referring to that as in between the brothers. If you talk about friendship or even when you are siblings I think this is like an unspoken rule that you don't go for the crush of your sibling or friend. Imo, it could happen but then the wise thing to do would be to talk about it or discuss it, not just insensitively do whatever you wanna do and don't even respect the said person. Like in Reply 1988, Taek stopped pursuing Deok Sun cause his best friend was also in love with her. That's what a real friend would do I believe.

Calling the dibs is a bit pointless, not to mention selfish in my personal opinion if the person you are calling the dibs on is not interested. However if it appears like the person in question could potentially develop those feelings then the selfish person is the one to chose to pursue his brother's love interest. I am not defending Jin here, in fact the opposite.

I think when he first arrived he saw that the relationship between Hwan and Ye Ji was tender, it might not have been romantic from her side, but he couldn't have known it, yet he tried to pursue her anyway. Ok lets assume he convinced himself that Ye Ji simply cannot have feelings for an under aged guy. Even then though he taunted Hwan with his feelings instead of trying to be gentle. I might have understood that if Jin looked like he was desparately in love with Ye Ji, but as somebody mentioned before to me it looked like Jin chose Ye Ji just because Hwan was interested in her. It could have been a fault in writing and not meant this way, but that's the way I read the situation.

I think had he not arrived Ye Ji might have developed feelings for Hwan at some stage later when he got a bit older, there was a huge potential there.

I agree that, in the context of the show, the problem is how Jin pursued Ye Ji.  Remember, this is supposedly the first woman Hwan was ever interested in and Hwan asked Jin not to pursue her.  It might have been ok if Jin explained the age difference, explained how a teacher can't date a student, told Hwan why this wasn't just another case of his womanizing and so on but he did none of those things.  

Beyond that, I don't think the show has demonstrated that Ye Ji is even in love with Jin.  She might think he is hot but she spends a ton of time reminiscing about the things Hwan has done for her.  And Hwan has actually done some of those things, such as pick the honeymoon location.  I think she wants the stability and warmth of the family he provided.

On 9/20/2020 at 8:38 AM, D27Gjk68 said:

I agree that, in the context of the show, the problem is how Jin pursued Ye Ji.  Remember, this is supposedly the first woman Hwan was ever interested in and Hwan asked Jin not to pursue her.  It might have been ok if Jin explained the age difference, explained how a teacher can't date a student, told Hwan why this wasn't just another case of his womanizing and so on but he did none of those things.  

Beyond that, I don't think the show has demonstrated that Ye Ji is even in love with Jin.  She might think he is hot but she spends a ton of time reminiscing about the things Hwan has done for her.  And Hwan has actually done some of those things, such as pick the honeymoon location.  I think she wants the stability and warmth of the family he provided.

Are we watching the same show? Jin had said all of those things, several times in fact. He even confronted Ye Ji regarding her behavior towards him which will lead to Hwan's broken heart on episode 3.

Also on episode 3, the confrontation between brothers begin. Hwan declares himself a man and that he like Ye Jin. Jin tells him in clear terms to back off because he cannot handle someone like her at his age.

The brothers have ANOTHER confrontation. Jin straight out tells him that Ye Ji is someone that he (Hwan) cannot like and demands Hwan treats Ye Ji as his (Jin) girlfriend. Hwan suggests that Ye Ji does not deserve a selfish jerk like Jin. Jin basically reminds Hwan that he is a little boy and that Ye Ji needs a real man like him to protect her. Jin then explicitly  tells Hwan that Ye Ji opened up Hwan because Hwan is a student. Ye Jin tells Hwan that she feels safe around him because Hwan is her student. Hwan becomes devastated, etc.

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/wheniwasmostbeautiful/preview/

10회
여긴 내 집이 아니야.

환(지수)의 도움으로 자신만의 공방을 운영하게 된 예지(임수향)는 폐점포 리모델링 작업에 집중한다. 한편, 진(하석진)은 환과 예지가 집을 비운 사이 이들의 방을 뒤지며 흔적을 찾기 시작하는데..

Preview of Ep. 10 - translated

This is not my home.

With Hwan's help, Ye-Ji operates her own studio and concentrates on the remodeling of the closed shops.

When Hwan and Ye-Ji are not home, Jin looks in their rooms and begins to find clues...

--

Okay, there was a point where I wondered if Jin was just acting like a giant piece of garbage on purpose because he was trying to get Ye-Ji to leave him or something - because in K-drama you can never count out noble idiocy, I guess.

But then I remembered that he basically tortured his entire family by hiding from them for 7 years, so there's no way he would ever be that thoughtful towards his wife, or put anyone's emotional well-being above his own.

So based on this preview, he really is a jealous, petty little dude. And that... honestly makes me sad.

20 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Okay, there was a point where I wondered if Jin was just acting like a giant piece of garbage on purpose because he was trying to get Ye-Ji to leave him or something - because in K-drama you can never count out noble idiocy, I guess.

Yes, this crossed my mind, too.

Noble idiocy (ies) has big opportunity to make appearence in this drama.

But I don't think that will be the case with Jin.

He looked pissed when he saw Hwan and Yeji talked outside her room.

He was annoyed when he asked if Hwan still liked Yeji.

Watching next episode trailer, he is downright accusing them to have spent time together, inappropeiately.

And looking back how he just snatched Yeji away from Hwan, clearly knowing she was his brother's crush, and did without any sympathetic attitude toward Hwan, depicted his characther. What Jin wants, Jin gets.

Dearest Jin,

My heart breaks for you. It must be terrible to be confined to a wheelchair after the reckless active life you had led, you daredevil. [Kind of reminds me of Me Before You]. Please let Yeji go. Let her seek her own happiness and you be at peace. Don't go torturing yourself by looking at the two of them together and feeling helpless for not being able to be the man who promised to be by his wife's side, and make her happy. For your peace of mind, let her go. Just remove yourself from the lives of Hwan and Jin. It would always be awkward for all parties involved to be under the same roof.

You have lived with guilt all these years. You don't need to burden yourself with another one. As they say, 'If you love someone, set them free. If they comeback, it means nobody else liked them. Set them free again.' Just kidding....

11회

내가 당신의 미래야.

치료에 부정적이었던 진(하석진)은 예지(임수향)로 인해 다시 재활치료에 전념한다.
한편, 방회장은 이사회를 통해 진환A&C의 대표이사를 갈아치우고자 하는데...

Episode 11 - Preview (translation)

I am your future.

Jin was negative about treatment, but due to Ye-Ji, he begins to focus on rehabilitation.

Chairman Bang at the board of directors meeting tries to replace JinHwa A&C's CEO...

--

I thought it might be noble idiocy. :blink: Then I thought he was just a jerk. :( :angry: And now... alas, noble idiocy. :mellow:

That old K-drama chestnut, it is hard to crack.

(Well, Kathy Bates is waiting for you, Jin.)

Anyway, about Ye-Ji's mom: what other people know is that she shot her husband to death with a gun and made it look like a suicide. (Yikes.) And Ye-Ji even asked her mom if she cheated on her father. (Yeesh.)

The facts are probably different. We saw a very short flashback about it, but it actually looked like Ye-Ji's mom was trying to shoot herself with a gun and her father was taking the gun away from her and the gun went off accidentally. No one knows why she didn't defend herself and say that it was an accidental death... but I guess we'll eventually find out.

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

11회

내가 당신의 미래야.

치료에 부정적이었던 진(하석진)은 예지(임수향)로 인해 다시 재활치료에 전념한다.
한편, 방회장은 이사회를 통해 진환A&C의 대표이사를 갈아치우고자 하는데...

Episode 11 - Preview (translation)

I am your future.

Jin was negative about treatment, but due to Ye-Ji, he begins to focus on rehabilitation.

Chairman Bang at the board of directors meeting tries to replace JinHwa A&C's CEO...

--

I thought it might be noble idiocy. :blink: Then I thought he was just a jerk. :( :angry: And now... alas, noble idiocy. :mellow:

That old K-drama chestnut, it is hard to crack.

(Well, Kathy Bates is waiting for you, Jin.)

Anyway, about Ye-Ji's mom: what other people know is that she shot her husband to death with a gun and made it look like a suicide. (Yikes.) And Ye-Ji even asked her mom if she cheated on her father. (Yeesh.)

The facts are probably different. We saw a very short flashback about it, but it actually looked like Ye-Ji's mom was trying to shoot herself with a gun and her father was taking the gun away from her and the gun went off accidentally. No one knows why she didn't defend herself and say that it was an accidental death... but I guess we'll eventually find out.

Thank you for the translations! I am just wondering where is this drama going. No movement plot wise literally. I think I could write a better script for this drama. :/ We all could. :/

At this point, I don't really know where we are going with the story, amd we're already at episode 10. 

It's getting more toxic between the 3. Well,  more of between the 2 actually, since Hwan is becoming more and more 'the victim' of Jin's uncontrollable suspicions.

It takes two to tango. Yeji can't be busy trying to fix whatever broken between them while Jin is busy making things worse. 

I didn't buy their love then and I don't believe it now. They don't either, apparently.

Yeji, girl, time to pack and leave. Find your own way, world, happiness. Don't waste your life hold on to something that doesn't want fo be held. 

SPOILER ALERT

In my humble opinion, the biggest thing that hit Jin was Yeji's words at one scene; Hwan is not like that...

She started to compare Jin with Hwan. 

Oh no....

I agree with you @riverie, The drama was extremely promising. A fabulous cast, great cinematography and a good story, at least on paper. Somehow, it lost its mojo. Now it's a wreck and we don't know where we are going with the story/ characters.  Let's buckle our seat belts because this is one bumpy ride and we are in too deep, too invested to abandon this drama.

1 hour ago, Jayne Nasution said:

At this point, I don't really know where we are going with the story, amd we're already at episode 10. 

It's getting more toxic between the 3. Well,  more of between the 2 actually, since Hwan is becoming more and more 'the victim' of Jin's uncontrollable suspicions.

It takes two to tango. Yeji can't be busy trying to fix whatever broken between them while Jin is busy making things worse. 

I didn't buy their love then and I don't believe it now. They don't either, apparently.

Yeji, girl, time to pack and leave. Find your own way, world, happiness. Don't waste your life hold on to something that doesn't want fo be held. 

SPOILER ALERT

In my humble opinion, the biggest thing that hit Jin was Yeji's words at one scene; Hwan is not like that...

She started to compare Jin with Hwan. 

Oh no....

Sadly that is the case yes. Some of the observations from episode 10,

- What really hit me was how Ye Ji has become a spineless person who just wants to please Jin. To give him his peace of mind she doesn't even mind using Hwan's friend or hurting him with her rude comments. Like for instance, when she was trying to fake smile and push Amber and Hwan's relationship when Hwan clearly said he doesn't like her. It was so satisfying to watch Hwan being the right person and saying oh I thought you said let's not use anyone. And then as soon Jin got suspicious of Hwan visiting jeju island and them taking pictures together, she went back to her cold rude self and snapped at Hwan. It was so cruel of her to tell him 'stop trying to protect me! You know why your hyung is being like this? Cause he is not confident.' Lol. It took me a while to realize that she is actually as selfish as Jin cause for her own motives, now she doesn't even flinch from behaving so poorly with Hwan. She should criticize Jin for suspecting her when he was awol all these years, instead of that she is being rude with Hwan. It is not Hwan's fault that his brother lost the walking ability. Neither it is their right to tell him to stop liking Ye Ji. That's the least they could do. Give him the space that is. It was so fitting of hwan also telling jin , 'I thought you never cared about my feelings for Teacher. Right since I started liking her at school.' And now, he has become such a jealous little man that his brother's very presence irritates him to the core. 

- I don't know who is the least likable person in the show right now for me lol. Before it was Jin, but now seeing Ye Ji's selfish attitude I am sad to see that even the main female protagonist has no sense of right and wrong. I don't even understand why she likes him yet. Or whether she likes him at all. Only one who is still standing tall with his efforts and honesty is Hwan. For me the best ending would be Ye Ji realizing what she missed and Hwan telling her  that now he has moved on. From this toxic binding and their toxic household. 

- I have no words for Jin. I think some men think they can forcefully win all. Whether it's their male pride or the physical dominance I don't know what makes them act this way. There are so many things wrong with him on a basic level that it's frustrating to see. He  has at the same time victim and abusive mentality. This hot and cold attitude is what I dislike the most I guess. Jealousy has no cure after all. Also another funny thing is, he will take the decision for ye ji as his logic says he loves her so he knows  what's right for her. And now sadly ye ji has started to become like him. In the process of trying to coax him, she doesn't even realize that she is losing her own self. Now jin is torturing her and she is giving the torture back to hwan. 

This is a melo. Usually all of them are like this. So many stupid decisions and usually people know how to give pain to people they love the most. Ye Ji know what words can give Hwan a stab in the heart. She thinks about Hwan and talks about him all the time around Jin 7 years ago and now. She tries to show there is nothing between her and Hwan because she feels there is definitely something between them. But she is ready to spend her life with Jin becoz they are married first. Apparantly a lot women do that in life and they choose men becoz of stability, income & even or just because the man loves her. 

Jin's been home some time. No kiss & love making between them but some jealousy. Even after 7 years, he is moaning over his paralized body is freaking joke. Ye Ji tried to get close to him few times and he rejected. I dont understand him. He should put on his big boy pants and give his wife a love and care she missed out on for whole 7 years. If he cant, they should divorce. They dont even have a child. 

10 hours ago, calledtoteach said:

How long will it take to reveal that “Fatal Attraction” witch cause Jin’s accident.

Good call! :w00t: You are probably right.

1. Chairman Bang is able to make moves to take over JinHwan company using the fact that Jin's mom spent $$$ searching for Jin for 7 years. Chairman Bang knew where Jin was the whole time and was keeping him hostage so his mom would spend that $$$ and he can use that to oust her.

2. When Carrie was talking to that other racer, she paid him $$$ so he can leave the country. He threatened her saying, "You want me to keep quiet, don't you?" At first I thought it was because she was hiding Jin. But it might be because he caused the accident on Carrie or Chairman Bang's orders.

"Fatal Attraction" witch. :lol:

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/drama/wheniwasmostbeautiful/preview/

12회
다 나 때문이었어.

진(하석진)의 재활치료가 성공적으로 진행되며 평화를 되찾은 듯 보였으나,캐리(황승언)의 등장으로 또 다시 위기를 맞이한 환(지수)의 가족들. 한편, 지영(신이)을 찾아간 예지(임수향)는 지워버렸던 자신의 어릴 적 기억에 대한 진실을 알게 되는데....

Episode 12 Preview - translated

It was all because of me.

Jin's rehab is progressing successfully and it seems peace is restored, but Carrie appears and Hwan's family is met with crisis again.

Ye-Ji goes to see Ji-Yeong (her aunt) and she recovers something from her memory from when she was young that was erased...

--

Random thoughts watching 10-11

Okay, I was kind of hoping that the story wouldn't go this route, just because it's so depressing. But Ye-Ji's dad was an abusive piece of garbage and that was why Ye-Ji's mom shot him. Also, it was mentioned that the mom was protecting Ye-Ji, so Dad was going to hurt Ye-Ji and she shot him? I don't know, what a tragic mess.

Nightmare Aunt continues her reign of terror. What an absolute horror. Her brother was a wife-beating piece of garbage, and that she probably knew that, and still continued to abuse Ye-Ji - makes everything about her so much worse. I'm completely traumatized by the very sight of her face now.

Yes, the difference between Hwan and Jin is especially stark when it comes to how they treat Ye-Ji's mom. Although Ye-Ji is angry at her mom, she doesn't like Jin treating her like some unwanted disposable piece of trash. It's actually HILARIOUS when Jin himself pointed out how he can criticize his parents all he wants, but if anyone else says anything, he will get mad. YET fails to realize how much he is hurting Ye-Ji by driving her mother out of that street market. *sigh* Oh, Jin.

He looked haaawwt during the board meeting though. I mean, he had to look extra-good to go battle with Chairman Bang, but he cleans up nice.

Poor Amber. At least Hwan never gave Da-Woon any real hope.

Carrie, living up to her Kathy Bates "Fatal Attraction" vibe. Not to mention... CARRIE, the prom queen. I mean, she's really gone full psycho now.

11 episodes, still a lot of questions...

the only thing satisfying about the latest episode was the TWO slaps on the evil aunt’s face.

And psycho Carrie is now getting near to the top for most irritating character in The show.

Archived