[Upcoming Mainland Chinese Drama] Immortality 皓衣行 starring Arthur Chen & Leo Luo

tothestars

7 hours ago, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

Under the current political climate , this drama will probably be thrown into cold storage , won't be aired in these few years.

Emmm, I sincerely hope the rumor "no bl adaptations in 2021 " is just a rumor... 

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ElleSor said:

I guessed this would be affected by the new regulation regarding "girly looking" actors. 

Gosh, so many dramas are affected by this new rule. 

I guess, some actors need to bulk up? That's just sad coz I guess some of them are born lean. 

I don't know if it is even possible in short term. Since it is my understanding the whole industry is built on one may say preferences for extremely thin guys. It's seems to be a requirement along with that glamorous looks/outfits/styling, and now that might be considered "girly"... where were those officials years before when these standards were pushed by the industry, and now God knows how many actors built careers on these standards :confused:

18 hours ago, leo2020 said:

I don't know if it is even possible in short term. Since it is my understanding the whole industry is built on one may say preferences for extremely thin guys. It's seems to be a requirement along with that glamorous looks/outfits/styling, and now that might be considered "girly"... where were those officials years before when these standards were pushed by the industry, and now God knows how many actors built careers on these standards :confused:

I know right? Anyway, Chinese and other Asians are not really born to bulky. Unless, they are into bodybuilding etc.

I mean, there are a lot of muscular guys but a lot are more inclined to remain lean. 

• Like 1

Hey, OP! @tothestars

Can you link to the novel this drama is based on - http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=3192481 ? It's called 二哈和他的白猫师尊 (Dumb Husky and His White Cat Shizun). It's also translated into English: https://2hatl.carrd.co

It's also getting adapted into a manhua! :

spacer.png

Anyway, the novel is quite graphic, so I'm wondering what's been going on in the showrunner's head... :rubchin:

More into about the series and its various adaptations: https://erhainfo.carrd.co

On 9/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, 杨过是大哥哥 said:

Under the current political climate , this drama will probably be thrown into cold storage , won't be aired in these few years.

Please don't say that... :wut:

Maybe they can sell it exclusively abroad and give up on the domestic release for the time being...

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, 44ko said:

Please don't say that... :wut:

Maybe they can sell it exclusively abroad and give up on the domestic release for the time being...

I certainly hope so. China have been getting incredibly strict with their regulations. Lots of potentially excellent dramas being shelved. I do hope they find abroad market, similar to the movies The Yin Yang Master: Dream of Eternity. It was showed on Netflix while banned in China. Alas, it is hard for it to happen though, not a lot of overseas platforms are willing to offend the Chinese government and the red tape they may have to go through to secure the license is unimaginable. In the case of the mentioned above movie, Netflix already secured its license before the Chinese department decided to pull it out of domestic market, hence it could still be available on foreign market.

2 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

I certainly hope so. China have been getting incredibly strict with their regulations. Lots of potentially excellent dramas being shelved. I do hope they find abroad market, similar to the movies The Yin Yang Master: Dream of Eternity. It was showed on Netflix while banned in China. Alas, it is hard for it to happen though, not a lot of overseas platforms are willing to offend the Chinese government and the red tape they may have to go through to secure the license is unimaginable. In the case of the mentioned above movie, Netflix already secured its license before the Chinese department decided to pull it out of domestic market, hence it could still be available on foreign market.

Huh? Viki has no problem streaming Word of Honour and Addicted - both removed from Mainland streaming services.

To be fair, getting a streaming license for a drama from China should be much easier and cheaper than from Japan.

1 hour ago, 44ko said:

Huh? Viki has no problem streaming Word of Honour and Addicted - both removed from Mainland streaming services.

To be fair, getting a streaming license for a drama from China should be much easier and cheaper than from Japan.

Yes, but it already obtained licences for those 2 before china issued the ban.

Japan got really strict policy on copyright which is probably why it's getting harder and harder to find english sub for Japanese dramas...

5 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

I do hope they find abroad market

Well, let's hope for the best than, however if the lead(s)/ actors from the drama are really banned/"canceled" from the industry I don't think it would ever be broadcasted...

I wonder if Tencent has enough power/ weight in the industry to push it through, I mean is it even considered possible?

2 hours ago, leo2020 said:

Well, let's hope for the best than, however if the lead(s)/ actors from the drama are really banned/"canceled" from the industry I don't think it would ever be broadcasted...

I wonder if Tencent has enough power/ weight in the industry to push it through, I mean is it even considered possible?

No for that, sorry. The Chinese government is the ultimate big boss. Look at the Hallyu ban, even though they said that the Chinese government had softened up but they never lifted it and dramas that filmed with Korean actresses are still shelved till today.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rabbit_casa said:

No for that, sorry. The Chinese government is the ultimate big boss. Look at the Hallyu ban, even though they said that the Chinese government had softened up but they never lifted it and dramas that filmed with Korean actresses are still shelved till today.

OK, thanks a lot for the info :wub: I was sooo looking forward for this drama, and am very sad :confused:.

7 hours ago, leo2020 said:

OK, thanks a lot for the info :wub: I was sooo looking forward for this drama, and am very sad :confused:.

Online news said the producers may change the storyline to reduce skinship between the 2 MLs and introduce some romance with other actresses in the series so that it can obtain the license. But personally I think it would twist the story in the huge way.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

9 hours ago, rabbit_casa said:

Online news said the producers may change the storyline to reduce skinship between the 2 MLs and introduce some romance with other actresses in the series so that it can obtain the license. But personally I think it would twist the story in the huge 

Wow, seems like they are really determined to push it through to the screen at any cost (literally). That's, however, understandable, since I heard it is Tencent most expensive drama ever.

But an easy job it is not...The creators would need to be able to gather them all again, and this definitely will take time to combine everyone's busy schedule... I wonder if they might create additional characters,  or use the ones they already have. And I already could image thousands of outraged fans swearing and spilling curses all over net :eats2:.

Then there will be post-production, CGI (?), etc...So no drama till mid 2022 ???...

2 minutes ago, rabbit_casa said:

Will be a long while, who knows when we will see it. But then I'm afraid it will be a patched up job. 

I suppose,  in case the news are true, for the production company it is now about financial damage control/ damage reduction. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking forward to seeing how they would adapt the novel but once again policies and censorship get in the way. The attention the drama adaption has drawn to the novel (immature fans reporting the drama for promoting teacher-student relationship because they didn’t like the female character etc) and the author is not a good thing. Their G is doing major cleansing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the novel becomes unavailable in future.

• Shocked 1

11 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

teacher-student relationship

Ye, that's totally fine when such relationships are shown in BG pairing, no one is complaining on such dramas, ha? :mellow:

Overall, it makes me sad so much work of everyone involved is just thrown in garbage... no respect at all...

• Sad 1