[Drama 2020] Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, 도도솔솔라라솔

larus

There must have been a scheduling conflict with the male lead since production was pushed back and had to stop filming for some time due to Covid. The actor who got it actually didn’t end up in the show. 

The finale seemed like LJW couldn’t come to film more scenes. They did not do his character justice. He felt less and less like Jun in the last few episodes and more like a plot device.

The only way I would ever buy this ending is that maybe Jun fell into a coma like someone said, and the mom announces the bad news. Everyone thinks he’s dead. The parents don’t have hope of him recovering but keep him on life support indefinitely because they have the money. He wakes up after a long time. After being gone for so long, he’s afraid to announce he’s back since he’s still a young man forced to face his own mortality. We get to see some sweet scenes with him and his parents as Jun recovers slowly. 

Then Jun comes back. He confesses everything that happened, but he has been watching over RaRa from afar like Mr. Twinkle. This whole time he’s been helping her with stuff here and there, and of course, she’s ditzy so she doesn’t really notice all the little things he’s done and the hints he’s been sending.  

We get RaRa’s proposal, our wedding and we get our babies. Netflix give us an extension or a season 2!!!!

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the format of the show is such that it would be perfect for a binge watch. I wonder if it was made that way since it was to be made available on Netflix. I think the 5 years skip would be less of a shock if a person was binge watching the series.

Also, One of the first three kdramas I saw was Oh my Venus and the leukaemia trope is very similar to that series. The main character there too was a Chabeol who’s family owned a chain of hospitals and he had cancer, he was also self sacrificing and gets into an accident for a mentee/friend. There too the main lead comes back after a year and the FL waits no questions asked and is not ready to move on. I remember being absolutely shocked that the girl would be willing to wait with no certainty and no contact. So this shocked me less post that series since I realised the similarity earlier. Even Something in the Rain with the male lead coming back after like 2 years and then saying sorry did not sit well with me then. But I guess I’m just more immune to this troupe now. I think in real life the times we live in it’s more a out of sight out of mind culture now. Though I’m sure there are people who have gotten back together after a time but I see that less around me in real. 

also most of us actually judge scripts for being true to the characters or the script. I think for me the character sketches are more important and I think all said and done, Do do sol sol la la sol was true to the characters.

I think Jun as a character was a loner and an introvert. Even in school his friend was more popular than him and he had only one person he relied on and that was the same friend. That’s why he was so lost with Jun Hi passing away. it’s only Rara who broke through his walls and Harabojee. so him hiding the fact that he’s alive for 5 years especially with the safe period for leukaemia being 5 years makes sense. Also he was self sacrificing always, he was ready to let go of a crush on Rara for Jun Hi. Later as he falls in love with Rara and his world revolves around her, he would do anything for her and he wouldn’t want to rob her off the chance to move on. Rara also stayed true to her character and did not move on but lived each day as well as she could, also as she was still hopelessly in love with him it makes sense she accepted him back. I think the not moving on is because she’s like an old school thinker and her clothes and style are also very vintage chic. Also she was always clear about her feelings with Dr Cha and a sudden change in feelings would be opportunistic which again wouldn’t go with her character. 

I wouldn’t go with the RaRas imagination theory because of:

- Juns narration

- the fact that they specified he’s not a ghost

- and majorly because the episode 16 script clearly mentioned that ‘Long live Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol’ (Go Aras Insta post)

I also would like to believe that Harabojee blessed him in some way and it was his good karma and he got through cos of that, since he was there during Harabojees lonely days after his wife passed away and they say that the prayers of old people and children are answered. 

I do think that the ending could be a hundred times better. But some things are different from what we imagine but it’s right in the writers point of view and we should just take it with a pinch of salt. We should just move on thinking of it as a difference in view point rather than categorising it as right or wrong. Thats best for most things in real life too anyway.

I think Go Ara as Rara was really brilliant a little bit more emotion and she would look fake and plastic and a little bit less and you wouldn’t find her characters influence to bring happiness to everyone convincing. I think Lee Jae Wook did absolute justice to his first main lead character. And I hope he gets good roles and gets to display his acting skills in the future too! Many of their scenes together were just full of a lot of prettiness and chemistry and just beautiful! 

bye bye Jun and Rara - thank you for the lovely characters ♥️

HI All!

OMG I did not have chance to read the comments and watched 15-16 last night here on Thanksgiving. I tried earlier but my internet was taxed with my parents in town. Sigh.

SO OOOOOMMMMMMM GGGG.

Why show in ep 15 you make me ugly cry?! 

La La thought the worse and Jun's mom did not say anything (not denying or confirming he died). Dang.

the cup in the box and the fact he had his mom return it. Cannot blame her for jumping to that conclusion.

Like the kids thinking Jun was hyung , he never confirmed or denied his age. (OMG) SHOW you did pull that and I DISLIKED IT SHOW Much. Then at the end when she was playing the welcome tune to have Jun walk up.

OMG show I was happy but wished La La did not have the angst to THINK he had died.

Seeing his mom in pain and allowing him see La La for two days. Her going to La La and appreciating her presence helped her lonely and treasured son Jun. Gosh takes Leukemia for them to LAY off on him. I am glad the mom got a nice scene to hug him. I am glad she thanked La La for being a big part of Jun's happiness admist his unhappiness at the age of 19.

I liked we FINALLY see the WHOLE story of their first meeting and her finally recognizing him at the cafe. Owing him and that sadly her number and note were blown over. First off, why dear you don't let the cup hold the paper down so it DOES NOT BLOW OFF the table. Cute he constantly kept going there in HOPES of seeing her. Then to see her again to only hear his BFF calling dibs on her saying she is going to be my future wife. DRATS. The stare is explained after he took the pics as he was feeling shocked. Then later when he saw her in her wedding dress and then hearing about her failed marriage. He got that INSTA handle to talk to her. How he tried to tell her and she totally did not BELIEVE him.

Glad Grandpa woke up and he was able to attend that Christmas concert. To see him cry, I KNEW Jun told him he was sick. The video collaboration was gorgeous. 

Goo Ara IS La La. She was magnificent in this role. She BREATHED life into her role. Lee Jae Wook was AMAZING as Jun. I loved seeing him earlier this spring. I def want to see more of his dramas and works. He is so good and so young. Def his chemistry is OFF the charts with Goo Ara. Even BTS and in the SWOON segments they were adorbs.  Age gap---what age gap?

Mimi--I usually don't like cute dogs in outfits, but MIMI stole my heart whenever she was on screen.

I loved seeing the Violin teacher and how she LOVES La La. Awww how she told her to continue playing piano as she brightened up her day with her pure joy in playing was infectious to those who heard enjoyed it too. I felt Goo Ara did a stupendous job. I felt joy listening to her as well.

Jaemin was back and to see his DAD finally see his talented son perform and later learn he goes to Germany with La La's teacher (sad she did not go to Germany for Grad School). Seung Ki and Ha Young getting married with Jia and wanting to join the club HY mom made with the other women. LOL SK chiming in wanting to join, these crazy kids.

Dr. Cha and his ex dating and reuniting, I was expecting it actually. Glad she loved/liked him for HIM and he looked amazing and cool playing the piaon. But I thought it funny that she was seated at a table ALONE with the guy who likes Ha Young's mom. (She actually is liking not being serious with him? He does like her alot. Cute. But understandable why she is gun shy.) 

Overall a lovely drama and the OTP were amazing. Their chemistry, I want to go to MOKPO too. I was nearby during my travels in Korea but this drama making me want to go to the sights thanks to this drama. I want to Nami San, Cafe in Jeju etc due to certain dramas. LOL.

Thanks to the friends I met here (old and new alike) and hope to see you in other forums!

Be well and take care!

@JenL @partyon etc.

I just finished the last two episodes. I am disappointed that the writer gave us unnecessary drama. WHY? She did not have any other ideas? I could understand not to tell her he is sick but I don`t understand why he had to tell her he is dead. And his mother played an important part in this. I did not liked it at all. Well, I am glad Jun is alive but he should not have done that to Ra Ra.

That duet of Jun and Rara from the distance was nicely done and it was emotional for me.

I liked the drama. I loved all the people in Rara`s life in Eunpo. Rara was such a bright little star herself and Jun such a mature boy for his age.  I like the music a lot. I was glad that almost in every episode we had a piece of music. "Twinkle twinkle little star" theme song fits so nice with the story.

Finally, I finished DDSSLLS. The last few eps is a bit messed up in terms of storyline. it took me a while go through that and finish it. I still don't get the writers intention tho

I mean, Suddenly Jun got terminally ill, without any signs in earlier episodes. He then made an elaborate plan to break up with Lala so that Lala can move on,in case he didn't make it. After all that, he change his mind on the way to hospital and put a RING on Lala's finger. He wants her to move on, then binds her with a ring.

then his mom meets Lala and gave the letter and the cup as if he was gone.I'm not clear what is the purpose of that letter tho. Ask her to gave up/farewell ? then suddenly he appears out of nowhere after 5 years. reason? he wants to fully recover. I don't think anybody would wait for that long especially when you entrusted her in someone else hand.

I cant put my head around all that, but it is what it is.

at least Lala, Jun and other couples get a happy ending. Its not a good ending but its not bad either. it's an OK ending

“Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol” Cast Shares Their Warm Gratitude To Each Other And Viewers After Drama’s Finale

8f988aa442f04578a06fe0370eed98ca.jpeg?s=
Nov 28, 2020
by C. Hong

After KBS’s “Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol” came to an end on November 26, the cast shared their closing comments.

Go Ara took to Instagram to pose with her adorable dog co-star and wrote, “I am sincerely grateful to those who watched and loved ‘Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol.’ Due to our great staff, who were a dependable source of strength, I was able to film with happiness and energy. Thank you to the writer, who wrote a great script, the director, and all my fellow co-stars. I’m sincerely grateful to all those who worked with us on ‘Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol.’ This will become another precious project that I won’t forget. I will cherish these unforgettable memories in my heart. Everyone, you worked hard.”

Through his agency, Lee Jae Wook said, “I was with this drama through three seasons, from spring to fall. I can’t help but feel regrets now that it’s the end. This was the first time I’d taken on a lead role, so I was half-worried, half-nervous, but as soon as I started filming, my co-stars, the director, the writer, and the production staff treated so comfortably that I was able to have fun and work hard until the very end. I am sincerely grateful to all those who worked with us, as well as those who watched over us with warm eyes. I think that the scenery of ‘Eun Po’ will remain in my memories for a long time.”

In a behind-the-scenes video, Kim Joo Heon said, “‘Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol’ was a project that I looked forward to seeing what it would bring each day of filming. I hope that our small and warm story was able to connect with viewers as well. I think it’s good that I can’t get used to the moment when a drama ends. It feels both regretful and exciting when something ends. Isn’t it good that these emotions feel fresh every time? I will soon return with a different character. Take care of your health and happiness. Thank you.”

Through her agency, Kim Ju Yeon said, “There was a lot of chaos around filming and the first broadcast because of COVID-19, so I’m grateful that we were able to finish filming safely. I had fun on set due to the great staff and cast members, and I’m grateful to this project from which I’ve learned so much. Thank you to all the viewers who watched our drama and sent us love. I will return with another good project soon, so please look forward to it. Take care of your health and spend a warm holiday season.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1440731wpp/do-do-sol-sol-la-la-sol-cast-shares-their-warm-gratitude-to-each-other-and-viewers-after-dramas-finale

That was one of the worst endings of a kdrama I have watched in a while. It was a good romantic comedy it was satisfying to watch for the whole 16 episodes except for the last 5 minutes which made me feel like I was robbed of sixteen hours of my life. What was the writer or director thinking? 

3 hours ago, Kris Kafle said:

That was one of the worst endings of a kdrama I have watched in a while. It was a good romantic comedy it was satisfying to watch for the whole 16 episodes except for the last 5 minutes which made me feel like I was robbed of sixteen hours of my life. What was the writer or director thinking? 

Totally agree with you. I enjoyed the whole series but the ending was definitely one of the worst and weirdest. 

Actually, most of Jun's decisions are weird. I don't understand why he would do any of those. It just doesn't make sense. 

Lala, more than anyone,  deserves a better ending. 

Spoiler alert 

Spoiler

Jun truly dying would have been a more acceptable ending.  Sad, yes, but it will not counter how good and fun this drama is. 

Anyone in their right mind will get truly mad and maybe abhor Jun for what she did to Lala. LALA has a big heart, after all, she still accepted him as if nothing happened. And good thing, Lala remained single the entire time. 

Very unrealistic and weird ending.

I feel like this is two potential theories for why the writers went down such a terrible route in the end:

Theory #1: Scriptwriter's rage over not having  their planned sad ending Theory 

A part of me wonders whether the writers had planned to kill off Jun, but got backlash from script buyers/ TV stations that they had to add him back in. Maybe they did it angrily. Because that's what it felt like....it was like, "You want a happy ending? Fine! Here's your precious Jun back! But he won't be perfect anymore!"  Actually I was going to say, the ending scenes with Jun's voice-over in the final scenes where he said "whenever things got tough I always remembered that summer when I was 19", it felt like they would have matched a drama where the character died and had this thought before he died. The more I think about it, the more I feel Jun's return could be read ambiguously - only Lala sees him return (no one else) and his character feels a bit less like old Jun (so could be made from imagination since it's been 5 years). He said he wasn't a ghost, but doesn't mean he couldn't be something else. It was a day where everyone had mentioned Jun and maybe Lala imagined him out of grief  It felt like the writer wanted to play it both ways and satisfy their own original idea as well as the audiences expectations.:cold_sweat:

Why I thought This

I wrote it because I saw someone on Twitter post the words Jun said without any pretty pictures framing it and realised how sad the words sounded on their own and thought if I haven't seen the drama, I would have thought that the character had died. I know it's not unusual for Asian dramas to have some "poignant" reflection in the form of a character voicing their inner thoughts or saying something soppy in a voice over at the end of a drama, but these words really did sound particularly sad:

SbBdPmU.png

Theory #2: DDSSLLS is actually based on classical plays & is a comedy-tragedy with a Deus Ex Machina ending & The writers were trying to be "Smart" but irritated everyone who watched the show

I guess I was thinking that this drama played out more like a tragedy than a comedy. And then for some reason, I remembered someone said the TWD ladies (the ahjummas) were like a Greek Chorus (an ancient Greek comedic device where there's like a group of people who are spectators and commentators about what's happening in those old Greek comedy plays.) I guess this triggered a memory about studying plays in high school and I remembered something a device about unlikely endings. So I did some digging and I think this is what the writers of DDSSLLS were trying to do, though why they were trying to do it beats me because it's still an annoying device and lots of people hate it: :rage:

Deus ex machina (Taken from trusty old wikipedia)

Deus ex machina is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem in a story is suddenly and abruptly resolved by an unexpected and unlikely occurrence. Its function can be to resolve an otherwise unsolvable plot situation, to surprise the audience, to bring the tale to a happy ending, or act as a comedic device. The deus ex machina was sometimes used in plays to make a controversial idea more palatable.

It is generally deemed undesirable in writing and often implies a lack of creativity on the part of the author. The reasons for this are that it does damage to the story's internal logic and is often so unlikely that it challenges suspension of disbelief, allowing the author to conclude the story with an unlikely ending.  The deus ex machina device is often criticized as inartistic, too convenient, and overly simplistic. However, champions of the device say that it opens up ideological and artistic possibilities.

Basically the term means adding "any unlikely event without explanation"...Shakespeare just added unlikely events to turn tragedies into "comedies" again. I think because the drama was focused on classical music, maybe they looked into classical plays too - if they new how to use a Greek Chorus, they probably thought about Deux Ex Machina too. :cold_sweat:

So my new understanding of the drama is that it shouldn't have been marketed as a rom-com, but it was because people don't have a genre called comedy-tragedy romance, as that's not really a melodrama either . The writer probably wanted to experiment with this as a genre and use that weird device to make it "funny" or "palatable" again (It was not funny ). Jun developing cancer was hinted the whole way through from the first time he had a nosebleed on her wedding dress. And so I guess it's implied that by the time he finds out it's quite serious and there is no way out but death. In a lot of those old Shakespeare/Greek plays, the comedy they use is irony...so Jun tries not to hurt Lala but the more he tries not to, the more he does with his lies. Then he literally dies and that death feels real. Then they "fix" up all of this sadness with no logic/ no explanation by having him return to make Lala "happy" again because he is "the source of her happiness." 

:fear:

Me: Maybe you should have just not given him cancer. He could have just had a nose bleeding problem which is common. 

:Furious:

I feel like the scriptwriter started using pretentious devices to make the story seem smart and play with the tropes and twists of Kdrama. This doesn't change my feelings about the ending, but I thought I'd share it because it felt a bit like an 'ah-ha!' moment when I read this and it would be interesting to share since we all feel like we have no idea what the scriptwriter was thinking. 

Okay I have  to write it took me a whole 3 days trying to  understand what crazy things going on in the last 3 episodes  even more in the last episode  

But my friends you know what,   I watched the last 3 episodes together  :brokenheart:after I was busy the last two weeks  and it felt like I am watching another drama with another main leads  

What  going on ????? Are this really?? Even in the most sad ending  in any dramas I watched I wasnt angry as much as I was here I just feel that someone also  was written the scenes !!! No writer  crazy enough  to destroy his own build  character for no reason  , it wasnt even funny or happy things to anyone who watched  it   

It like two different  drama  suddenly 

This crazy really crazy, for me let forget  about everything  ep 12 was the ending  

@JenL thanks for the long and good anyalse  of the ending  you know I agree with you , how also can we explain  this crazy thing without going to that thinking  of explaining  

But talking serious  I think that right that they change  the ending  in last second , I think the writer  want jun  death he was going to that road from the start. but someone  said no people  feel happy watching this drama in this sad and hard time out not give that ending  

But I dont think it was a decision  of the writer  or he gave enough  time to write  it well if he even write it and it wasnt just the director  or the company fast  adding one last scene ( it felt so strange to be writing ) 

I don't understand,  really I need someone to go  out and explain  things  before  my mind blow  like there was deleted  scenes and that Jun mother did tell rara  he still a live but choice to let her go and ask her to live happy and not wait for him  and that it his wish  and all the episode  was another misunderstanding meaning and 9lating with us  with half scene and two meaning  words like what happen in ep 11-12 

And that she didn't  hear from him for 5 years so she imagination  the worst , but  him lying about his death for 5 years and  come back like this so easy being hugged  and forgiven  and even smiling  like this  

Season 1 Finger Wag GIF by Friends

Are you even treatment  rara  as human I am sorry that on modern  thinking is psycho abuse and in my thinking treatment the viewers  as silly and stupid  people  who okay with everything  if you give them a hug and and a kiss in the end  

And besides  what make me more angry  here thet treat jun  future  choices  and his problems with his family  and specially his psychology  scare from his father as nothing , but all that not Matter  he dont have ti face or accept  it , he dont have to solve anything  and why we sympathize with him all long it all okay  as long he can with rara and a deathly  sickness  solve  everything  for him ( not even show us how it solve it for him or how it affects  him ) 

Sorry did I say how they treat  tara!! Let me ask how they treat Jun  who is he in the story was just a lover boy who do anything to help and make his lover happy it was not enough and we wait for grown but  no , they have to destroy even the loveboy  part too 

@JenL I think your second theory makes more sense to me. I think they did not plan to kill Jun. also the dressing the concerts the Eunpo setting have an old world and vintage charm that teases musicals and classical plays. Also the constant foreshadowing that Jun feels is a very Shakespearean reference.

Why I think the story is about Juns recovery and coming back rather than a short life:

The story is about hope and Juns life sort of played back in reverse at Eunpo, he literally built a house himself, experienced earning money, being independent, managing a house and Rara earlier and then went back to student life before falling sick. Before that, in Seoul He had a very lonely life that he absolutely abhorred. Although his parents loved him due to the generation gap he couldn’t really understand.

I think while recovering from a serious disease it’s often will power that drives a person, if he did not have the experience at Eunpo he would have given up. He would have blamed himself for Jun HI’s accident and have thought that he deserved that fate. Eunpo taught him a feeling of belonging, security and family. More than anything it was home. The welcome song means welcome back home and that’s what Eunpo always stood for him. While recovering from a disease he would need the promise of how beautiful life could be which never occurred to him amidst his fragile mental state in Seoul. That promised future would get him through only if he tasted that slice of life once that he never experienced during his life in Seoul. It was just the mundane things that he would crave running after Rara on the beach, falling asleep next to Rara, cooking food for her, going for advice to Harabojee or suengi, having family meals at ajhumma’s house or the restaurant, baking cookies with Rara and Jaemin or hating Dr Cha but still being very confident that he could rely on him for help and advise. He missed a reliable friend and mentor in his life and Dr Cha was that person. Plants (as Harabojee points out) and pets also signify home and taking care of Mimi and the salad leaves was also shown. They also mentioned that something as basic as cycling with Rara on the bicycle at night was one of his best memories. Even the feeling of being married to Rara was teased with the weddingcrasher event. It was like an intense memory that reminded him when he did actually marry her he would get that happiest day back again. Also they did show Jun was very determined the way he worked hard and he also was determined at the airport when he was leaving. I think that’s why they kept the skin ship less too even after he becomes an adult around the time of the wedding crashing cos they wanted to reflect the relationship he has with Rara to be more deep than just attraction and love at first sight. 

also going back to the Rupanzel reference the Princesses tears did cure the Prince and Rara still cried for him each day. I haven’t quite understood the constant fairy tale reference in Kdramas. Cinderella in Cindrella and the four knights, Alice In wonderland in the king eternal monarch and so on. 

also the star reference as jun being dead and being a star in the sky did not make sense to me because I think it was more like Jun and Rara were each other’s guiding stars like the northern star, providing a sense of direction and guiding each other back home. Also that’s why in the title track a light house is shown which is also pretty much for the same purpose guiding ships back to land safely.

and I think the shock of an ending explained by @JenL in scenario 2 makes sense because it was nothing short of a miracle him making it through driven basically by will power though his condition seemed to be deteriorating consistently. Also in the past Kdramas have shown shocking sad endings so this was maybe the writers last mocking of troupes by giving a shocking happy ending :P

also the shocking ending has led to more attention for the show with today’s KBS posts and one post earlier seeming to reinstate that it was a happy ending. I really really wish that they had included some sort of epilogue in episode 16 with happy scenes of RaraJun rather than putting clarifying posts now :joy:

After watching ep 16 again, narration by jun actually bring a deep meaning as he mentioned rara is like a stars that shines even in dark places. This drama actually want to show us the journey of  youth for  jun and rara, how they heals each other in eunpo city. As rara said before, the times she spend with jun defined herself.

But still, if writer spend more 10 minutes for epilogue this drama would be perfect.

This drama had made me laughing and crying with them. Even by hearing they dialogue, made me teary.

:please:

DDSSLLS is like discovering  a talented gem actor like Lee Jae Wook. He already secure the man lead position.:hooray2:

Hope the got awards with their chemistry and acting in KBS drama awards. See you on 31st December

1 hour ago, Raynaa said:

also the shocking ending has led to more attention for the show with today’s KBS posts and one post earlier seeming to reinstate that it was a happy ending. I really really wish that they had included some sort of epilogue in episode 16 with happy scenes of RaraJun rather than putting clarifying posts now :joy:

Sorry to cut your post, but maybe with all this attention, they can give us an epilogue of what actually happened?! If not broadcasted maybe with their dvd director's cut version. That would be nice. 

On another note, I would like to see the story of Manbok and his wife in a different show with the same people playing the characters. Maybe with this, it'll satisfy the not-so satisfying 5min ending....lol...even though I'm glad he came back to her. 

@B8lle @multiloverssss yes an epilogue would be perfect.

also I did rewatch the last 4 episodes since when the show was going on the angst was too much and I was too irritated and fast forwarded through many scenes and i noticed that:

RaRas phone message from Juns mom said the flight was delayed while Harabojee clearly says in the car that Jun couldn’t come back. So I think Harabojee knew more than Rara and Jun had been honest to him. 

also the scene when Jun puts his head down on the piano and Rara comforts him using her piano teachers words there’s a sharp tunnel like light behind them signifying a touch and go/ near death experience situation (similar to the Itaewon class conversation with the dad). So I think at that point he really was on the verge of a comma or a clinically dead situation. But he eventually does cross back cause her words gave him strength at that crucial time pulled him back. After experiencing that near death experience no wonder he’s scared and wants to wait out the 5 year safe mark period. And even after all those years he’s 24 and she’s 29, young enough to enjoy the rest of their healthy happy lives. 

1 hour ago, Raynaa said:

lol that’s too funny, there were a lot of complaints though to be honest, even the article that was posted here about the cast thanking everyone after the finale- most of the comments were the same- disappointment. Maybe they will add a special or something.

I feel bad for the actors though because they did such an amazing job portraying these characters and because the writing wasn’t up to par that the drama as whole suffers. Tsk! I wonder what will KBS do about it. 

7 hours ago, Raynaa said:

@B8lle @multiloverssss yes an epilogue would be perfect.

also I did rewatch the last 4 episodes since when the show was going on the angst was too much and I was too irritated and fast forwarded through many scenes and i noticed that:

RaRas phone message from Juns mom said the flight was delayed while Harabojee clearly says in the car that Jun couldn’t come back. So I think Harabojee knew more than Rara and Jun had been honest to him. 

also the scene when Jun puts his head down on the piano and Rara comforts him using her piano teachers words there’s a sharp tunnel like light behind them signifying a touch and go/ near death experience situation (similar to the Itaewon class conversation with the dad). So I think at that point he really was on the verge of a comma or a clinically dead situation. But he eventually does cross back cause her words gave him strength at that crucial time pulled him back. After experiencing that near death experience no wonder he’s scared and wants to wait out the 5 year safe mark period. And even after all those years he’s 24 and she’s 29, young enough to enjoy the rest of their healthy happy lives. 

i like the friendship between manbok harabojee and jun....they are true friend eventhough age gap. I think harabojee know everything about jun .

I just assume writer want us to right our own scenario about rara and jun. But still, want rara and jun scene more.:please:

This drama become my healing drama even i crying too much for this drama.....after dongbaek, this drama warm me with the people surroundings main lead.

Happiness doesn't mean only occur  when we happy, but happiness occur when your surroundings happy. So, for me 5 years rara at eunpo city does not mean miserable, because during that time there are others beside her and jun the one that brought rara there. So, it still meaningful and bring the happiness to rara life.:hooray2: 

10 hours ago, nona88 said:

@JenL thanks for the long and good anyalse  of the ending  you know I agree with you , how also can we explain  this crazy thing without going to that thinking  of explaining  

But talking serious  I think that right that they change  the ending  in last second , I think the writer  want jun  death he was going to that road from the start. but someone  said no people  feel happy watching this drama in this sad and hard time out not give that ending  

But I dont think it was a decision  of the writer  or he gave enough  time to write  it well if he even write it and it wasnt just the director  or the company fast  adding one last scene ( it felt so strange to be writing ) 

Yep, well, it's definitely one of my theories that the original story was planned to be Jun's death, but was told to add him back in. The other theory is that the writer wanted both death and life together, but using a technique which involved no explanation/ logical flow. I think a lot of people think the writer made this ending accidentally by messing themselves up or writing too many twists or running out of time.  But I believe the opposite.  I'm pretty sure the writer made a clear choice to end the drama with as little explanation as possible in both of my theories, whether they were pushed to add Jun back in and thought to do it ambiguously or whether they wanted to use Deux Ex Machina and make the story a bit more like a traditional dramatic tragedy-comedy play. :no_mouth:

Why do I think this? Well, it's pretty obvious that they were writing a good script - quite a dramatic story that subverted a lot of tropes the whole way through, so it's not like they're a bad writer who doesn't know how to solve twists. Even if things seemed a bit ambiguous, they would add an epilogue. So the writer knew an epilogue could add the desired 'missing' information and they did it for most of 15 episodes. They just didn't do it for this episode.  I doubt they would 'forget' about this writing technique after doing it so often :sweatingbullets: I also think they had enough time to write the script s- it's been awhile since her last script and covid gave this drama more of a delay than others (time to change things). This writer just likes to use "smart" devices as you can tell with her subversions...but it may have alienated the average drama watcher who did not sign up for shakespeare or Greek literature! :joy:

9 hours ago, Raynaa said:

@JenL I think your second theory makes more sense to me. I think they did not plan to kill Jun. also the dressing the concerts the Eunpo setting have an old world and vintage charm that teases musicals and classical plays. Also the constant foreshadowing that Jun feels is a very Shakespearean reference.

I think I like my second theory better too. There is a feel that this writer wanted a very overblown dramatic story line which is what a lot of Shakespeare and Greek plays were. Actually, when I watched the first episode, I remember feeling overwhelmed because I felt the pacing to be too crazy and I wasn't keen to keep watching (And that is always how I've felt about about Shakespeare's stories when I was made to read them - too much was going on!)...but then DDSSLLS slowed into a calmer pace by episode 2 and I was charmed by both the leads and Eunpo in general and with each episode I was more and more swept away! :love: So maybe in hindsight, I should have seen an overly dramatic ending coming since it started that way. I just thought it would be in the way of a third wedding, rather than a death.

Why I think the story is about Juns recovery and coming back rather than a short life:

The story is about hope and Juns life sort of played back in reverse at Eunpo, he literally built a house himself, experienced earning money, being independent, managing a house and Rara earlier and then went back to student life before falling sick. Before that, in Seoul He had a very lonely life that he absolutely abhorred. Although his parents loved him due to the generation gap he couldn’t really understand.

I think while recovering from a serious disease it’s often will power that drives a person, if he did not have the experience at Eunpo he would have given up. He would have blamed himself for Jun HI’s accident and have thought that he deserved that fate. Eunpo taught him a feeling of belonging, security and family. More than anything it was home. The welcome song means welcome back home and that’s what Eunpo always stood for him. While recovering from a disease he would need the promise of how beautiful life could be which never occurred to him amidst his fragile mental state in Seoul. That promised future would get him through only if he tasted that slice of life once that he never experienced during his life in Seoul. It was just the mundane things that he would crave running after Rara on the beach, falling asleep next to Rara, cooking food for her, going for advice to Harabojee or suengi, having family meals at ajhumma’s house or the restaurant, baking cookies with Rara and Jaemin or hating Dr Cha but still being very confident that he could rely on him for help and advise. He missed a reliable friend and mentor in his life and Dr Cha was that person. Plants (as Harabojee points out) and pets also signify home and taking care of Mimi and the salad leaves was also shown. They also mentioned that something as basic as cycling with Rara on the bicycle at night was one of his best memories. Even the feeling of being married to Rara was teased with the weddingcrasher event. It was like an intense memory that reminded him when he did actually marry her he would get that happiest day back again. Also they did show Jun was very determined the way he worked hard and he also was determined at the airport when he was leaving. I think that’s why they kept the skin ship less too even after he becomes an adult around the time of the wedding crashing cos they wanted to reflect the relationship he has with Rara to be more deep than just attraction and love at first sight. 

I think your explanation about Jun's life in reverse is an interesting and beautiful and hopeful one. :love: I do think he learnt to actually live a life in Eunpo and can see why the drama was considered healing in that respect when you look at both Jun and Lala's recovery once they found Eunpo and choose to make it their homes. It's clear throughout the drama that he loved Eunpo and his heart and soul belonged there with Lala :heart: When put in this light, I agree that the words of nostalgia Jun says at the very end of the drama would be more literally just a reflective thought of what got him through all the bad days of his illness.  

In many ways, I haven't theorised that much about Jun as a character. I think a lot of people were upset by Jun's actions in the story (ie. how could he cut off Lala for 5 years without word). For me, while I was distressed about that, I was more upset about the outside world events that lead to this. After all Jun's actions don't exist in a void- they are controlled by the writers of the drama. How could the writers play such a dirty trick (Jun's death and return) and not fill us in with explanations (Why did the writers not fill in the gaps?) :cold_sweat:

But if I had to try and grapple on a theory for Jun's actions as a character, maybe being sick was so painful and miserable that he needed to break away from everything he loved and use it as a motivation for recovery. Still not an ideal explanation and yes, selfish, but I suppose if he really suffered, he might think that he didn't want people to suffer along thinking about him suffering for a long time....like it would literally drain the happiness right out of Eunpo and he didn't want that for everyone :bawling: But he also knew he couldn't hide it for 5 years, so he took the stress out by just killing himself off. I suppose if you're dead people are devastated, but time heals all after 5 years...they turn into a distant, fond memory. However, if someone is sick for 5 years, you're constantly stressed and worried for them and suffer in that respect. I would still prefer a different ending...but this is the best I can do to justify Jun within the story.

also going back to the Rupanzel reference the Princesses tears did cure the Prince and Rara still cried for him each day. I haven’t quite understood the constant fairy tale reference in Kdramas. Cinderella in Cindrella and the four knights, Alice In wonderland in the king eternal monarch and so on. 

I guess because Koreans do treat dramas as their versions of fairytales. Fairytales for adults.

It's interesting because I guess fairy tales are not always that clean and happy either despite what Disney has told us :joy: I studied fairy tales as part of my English major and there's always a lot of throwaway darkness on the side. And there are A LOT of gaps in fairy tales....happy endings often come suddenly with no logical explanation either. So maybe another way to get over this is to think of it as some kind of fairy tale. 

I think the shock of an ending explained by @JenL in scenario 2 makes sense because it was nothing short of a miracle him making it through driven basically by will power though his condition seemed to be deteriorating consistently. Also in the past Kdramas have shown shocking sad endings so this was maybe the writers last mocking of troupes by giving a shocking happy ending :P

Yep, the shock ending through 'an unlikely event without explanation' (ie Deux Ex Machina) does subvert the trope of all disease dramas. People don't just get seriously sick and then get better so easily. People also don't just die and suddenly come back to life. But if using the plot device mentioned, they can and you don't even have to explain it! :lol: It's so bad. I'm someone who likes to analyse things and I love the logical flow of stories  - endings don't always have to be happy for me to like it, but they have to work with the genre, style and pacing of the drama. And they have to make sense. For example, I liked the sad ending of Hotel Del Luna  because as a ghost story and story about the afterlife, it was inevitable that the ending would be somewhat bittersweet. But his is the first time I've technically gotten "a happy ending" (Jun lives and returns to Lala) and I've felt so abused by it because of the lack of information and logic in getting there!! :sweatingbullets:

Still, I've had time to think and think and write and write and it's helped me to process the ending in a way that I'm not so angry anymore. I still don't love it, and sometimes something will remind me and bring back that very, very uncomfortable feeling of dissonance between my love for the first 12 episodes and my disappointment for the last 4. But overall, I loved Go Ara and Lee Jae Wook's chemistry and since there's nothing I can physically do to change the ending, I have to make peace with it as much as I can. I'm thankful for your post @Raynaa in reminding us of all the lovely things about Jun and Lala and Eunpo! :heart: 

I do have something else I wrote about the series which might help you all on the thread to process the ending if you still feel like you need to read an alternate ending and go through all the things that could have changed and all your feelings of unfairness about the ending, but this response is already long, so I'll post it tomorrow!

Archived