Jump to content

[Drama 2020] Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, 도도솔솔라라솔


larus

Recommended Posts

It was a great episode 15, yay, we got to see Juna and Rara even though he has to leave. Like some of you, I'm pretty hesitant about the last episode because of the crying, but hopefully it's nothing and that its all a trick of something like the other previews they've showed. Maybe all that sad happenings will just be in the first 5min and then we'll all get our happy ending. Hopefully. I still want to see Lala's third wedding that actually will happen this time...lol...if not at least a happy ending with them hand in hand walking off into the sunset kind-of-ending :D. Will miss the show, it's been a great watch. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know cancer is often seen as a kdrama trope, but correct me if I’m wrong, I can’t recall a male/female lead in recent dramas where they had cancer? I know this was rampant in earlier kdramas, but I don’t remember watching any in recent times???

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JenL @sal2 @Mapleoaks5

As a long term kdrama watcher I’ve seen plenty of dramas over the years including countless kdrama tropes. I hate many (if not most) of them because they make dramas predictable and boring.

There are times when these are fun, especially when it comes to makjang. Yoo-hoo my chingu @Ameera Ali who enjoys a good makjang from time to time like I do :D 

 

And I can appreciate that genres are mixed, but it’s only fair that this would be announced ahead of time so that no one gets disappointed when the drama takes a new genre turn. Don’t recall that this writer mixed genres in My Secret Terius (which I watched). So was surprised by this drama.

 

When it comes to DDSSLLS I have been correct with all my predictions so far (minus the age reveal), but I tried to give the drama the benefit of the doubt and hoped they wouldn’t go down the trope route. Which unfortunately they did, proving my predictions true... :(  So yeah, I feel cheated because it became a boring drama for me. 
I feel that they could have kept the quirky writing without throwing in these plot twists and probably kept the viewers happy (looks like not only me but a lot of viewers on other forums are unequally happy about the drama’s direction in the last few episodes).

 

And yeah, in the early 2000s you couldn’t find a kdrama without at least one terminal illness, so it seems this is coming back into fashion again with this drama. 
 

In any case, everyone is free to either like this drama or dislike it. We all have different preferences when it comes to dramas, and that’s ok!
Even though I now wish I had dropped the drama after the age reveal, I have enjoyed some elements in any case - especially the music.

 

Since I have come this far, I will skim through Thursday’s episode. Hoping everyone gets the ending they are wishing for. :kiss_wink:

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sal2 said:

To me together it show the variety of humanity. I mean life is just not comedy or romance but also those other more serious layer.

 

Yes, I love this line you used here. I think this drama, even though it seems a little crazy and colourful has a bit of a reflective side in that it reminds us that life isn't always going to be roses. Sometimes you're going to have to face those hard times. And I think through Lala and the people of Eunpo, we see that there are ways of facing hard times that are better than doing it alone (the way city folks like Jun and his family face problems): Lala and the Eunpo folk are communicative and open, share everything, enjoy the simple pleasures and forgive easily. That's why the cast have been calling it a healing drama. But now I also hope they mean "healing" in the physical sense that cancer can be 'healed'!!

:cutekitty:

 

1 hour ago, multiloverssss said:

same with me...this drama still on the top of my list for romcom(+melo)

even i dissapointed with jun illness but still i got to see rara clingy again...

 

Hahaha, I loved clingy Lala! She was so cute! The way she embarrassed Jun by claiming her property :tounge_xd:

 

1 hour ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

Yea I agree. I think this will be avenue to allow Jun to freely live and allow him to be with Lala. They’re going to realize how precious Juns life is to them and they’ll want his happiness.

 

I agree with @multiloverssssand @Wendy123despite some of the curveballs, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this drama and will be sad to see it go. 

 

Yep, I totally agree. If they go happy ending, then it was to resolve Jun's parents disapproval and to allow him to do all the things he wants, include marry the people he likes. Beside Lala would brighten up their lives in a way that no one else could. Haha, I see her working her magic on Jun's dad for sure :joy:

 

I'm going to be so sad to let this one go :bawling:  Very few dramas get under my skin and give me the flutters these days - I mean I enjoy watching a lot of dramas including those well known ones like It's Ok to Not Be Ok etc, but I don't feel that addicted love for them. This has been one of them and it's really helped to brighten dark times in 2020 for me (even with the angst)! I'm glad this project came out and glad LJW and GA were able to bring such magic to their characters.

 

1 hour ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

I will say Lala is a lot more forgiving than I am. At this point she just thinks he lied cause of going abroad, not cause of an illness. If I were her, I’d be so pissed!!!!!! She’s such a kind/forgiving/loving person.

 

Haha, I know. I was surprised at how cool she was about it: "Like you pretended to have a girlfriend because you want to go study in the States?" "Ok, but we're still dating right?" :lol: I think honestly her nature is that she can't hate people - we would probably all be better people if we were a bit more forgiving in this world like Lala. But also, I think her finding out that Jun was DDSSLLS distracted her...DDSSLLS was always kind to her, so I guess she realised Jun was always watching out for her and "giving her a warm yes, even when he was saying no." I like that that line was written in so that we could describe Jun's character in a nutshell.

 

As for memories, I always laugh at the memories of Kdrama characters, whether it's remembering their first loves, or someone they met a year ago or an old grudge. I'm sure there's people who do have such great memories...but I feel like most of us struggle to remember someone we met a day ago, let alone a year ago, unless it was really unusual.:lol:

 

26 minutes ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

 

I'm right there with you - I've enjoyed each and every episode, right up til that preview.

 

If he survives and they end the drama together then this drama goes right up near the top of my favorites - If the writer is actually heartless enough, and foolish enough to kill Jun off then I'm gonna tuck this drama in at the bottom of the list right underneath VAGABOND - ( actually VAGABOND jumps up near the top of the list if they ever give us a season 2 ) :rolleyes:

 

Yep, I think I'm in the same boat. Well, I think I have a bucket for dramas where I loved the drama, but hated the ending. It's not ideal, but I think if something gave me joy, I can't throw it out completely. I guess I just wouldn't recommend it to people due to the ending. 

 

It would be too cruel to do that to Jun and Lala right?? I'm hoping the reason they're crying is because they found out he was sick on Christmas, rather than he died, seeing as they thought he was just studying. Maybe his mum tells Lala because it's been a bad chemo day for Jun. That's what I'm hoping :confounded: Please writers, stop torturing ussss :bawling:

  • Like 2
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talking about the writer, I'd like to take the chance to recommend you guys to watch Terius Behind Me/My Secret Terius. It is from the same writer of DDSSLLS but I find the writing of this one so much better, I honestly don't remember feeling disappointed with the storyline here. It's funny, light, there's action and a bit of romance (I wish it could have had a lot more tho). It's seriously one of my comfort dramas, I'm even thinking about watching it again because I have great memories of it.

 

Here's a clip of the main ost (which is one of my favorite dramas osts ever)

 

Spoiler

 

 

  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, paolaadl said:

Talking about the writer, I'd like to take the chance to recommend you guys to watch Terius Behind Me/My Secret Terius. It is from the same writer of DDSSLLS but I find the writing of this one so much better, I honestly don't remember feeling disappointed with the storyline here. It's funny, light, there's action and a bit a romance (I wish it could have had a lot more tho). It's seriously one of my comfort dramas, I'm even thinking about watching it again because I have great memories of it.

 

Here's a clip of the main ost (which is one of my favorite dramas osts ever)

 

the writer also got the best writer at mbc drama awards for this drama....but still i like DDSSLLS.hope for better n happy ending

  • Like 3
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JenL said:

 

Yes, I love this line you used here. I think this drama, even though it seems a little crazy and colourful has a bit of a reflective side in that it reminds us that life isn't always going to be roses. Sometimes you're going to have to face those hard times. And I think through Lala and the people of Eunpo, we see that there are ways of facing hard times that are better than doing it alone (the way city folks like Jun and his family face problems): Lala and the Eunpo folk are communicative and open, share everything, enjoy the simple pleasures and forgive easily. That's why the cast have been calling it a healing drama. But now I also hope they mean "healing" in the physical sense that cancer can be 'healed'!!

 

 

Hahaha, I loved clingy Lala! She was so cute! The way she embarrassed Jun by claiming her property :tounge_xd:

 

 

Yep, I totally agree. If they go happy ending, then it was to resolve Jun's parents disapproval and to allow him to do all the things he wants, include marry the people he likes. Beside Lala would brighten up their lives in a way that no one else could. Haha, I see her working her magic on Jun's dad for sure :joy:

 

I'm going to be so sad to let this one go :bawling:  Very few dramas get under my skin and give me the flutters these days - I mean I enjoy watching a lot of dramas including those well known ones like It's Ok to Not Be Ok etc, but I don't feel that addicted love for them. This has been one of them and it's really helped to brighten dark times in 2020 for me (even with the angst)! I'm glad this project came out and glad LJW and GA were able to bring such magic to their characters.

 

 

Haha, I know. I was surprised at how cool she was about it: "Like you pretended to have a girlfriend because you want to go study in the States?" "Ok, but we're still dating right?" :lol: I think honestly her nature is that she can't hate people - we would probably all be better people if we were a bit more forgiving in this world like Lala. But also, I think her finding out that Jun was DDSSLLS distracted her...DDSSLLS was always kind to her, so I guess she realised Jun was always watching out for her and "giving her a warm yes, even when he was saying no." I like that that line was written in so that we could describe Jun's character in a nutshell.

 

As for memories, I always laugh at the memories of Kdrama characters, whether it's remembering their first loves, or someone they met a year ago or an old grudge. I'm sure there's people who do have such great memories...but I feel like most of us struggle to remember someone we met a day ago, let alone a year ago, unless it was really unusual.:lol:

 

 

Yep, I think I'm in the same boat. Well, I think I have a bucket for dramas where I loved the drama, but hated the ending. It's not ideal, but I think if something gave me joy, I can't throw it out completely. I guess I just wouldn't recommend it to people due to the ending. 

 

It would be too cruel to do that to Jun and Lala right?? I'm hoping the reason they're crying is because they found out he was sick on Christmas, rather than he died, seeing as they thought he was just studying. Maybe his mum tells Lala because it's been a bad chemo day for Jun. That's what I'm hoping :confounded: Please writers, stop torturing ussss :bawling:

 
I’m all for this can’t make it because he had chemo and they all found out that was the reason he was not able to come and then we see, they are all crying because they found out he is sick and are coming to terms with it for the first few mins of the show and then jun obviously comes home is in recovery or remission, still working things out but good enough to see everyone and finally marries rara regardless if he was sick or not just like Julia roberts in that old movie forgot the name or maybe even recovers and in true dodosolsollalasol style lives happily ever after with rara 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

I know cancer is often seen as a kdrama trope, but correct me if I’m wrong, I can’t recall a male/female lead in recent dramas where they had cancer? I know this was rampant in earlier kdramas, but I don’t remember watching any in recent times???

 

I think this is a much older trope, so the writer decided to play with some of the more traditional elements of K-drama. To be honest, I have always actively avoided illness dramas because they tend to go down noble idiocy routes that can drag for entire 16 episodes. But given this one is just a spike, I hope I can handle it :confounded: I feel like cancer dramas were still popular in 2016 or so with things like Uncontrollably Fond maybe. 

 

1 hour ago, partyon said:

And I can appreciate that genres are mixed, but it’s only fair that this would be announced ahead of time so that no one gets disappointed when the drama takes a new genre turn. Don’t recall that this writer mixed genres in My Secret Terius (which I watched). So was surprised by this drama.

 

When it comes to DDSSLLS I have been correct with all my predictions so far (minus the age reveal), but I tried to give the drama the benefit of the doubt and hoped they wouldn’t go down the trope route. Which unfortunately they did, proving my predictions true... :(  So yeah, I feel cheated because it became a boring drama for me. 
I feel that they could have kept the quirky writing without throwing in these plot twists and probably kept the viewers happy (looks like not only me but a lot of viewers on other forums are unequally happy about the drama’s direction in the last few episodes).

 

Reading this, I think perhaps you don't enjoy the elements of anxiety these drama has :lol: It is a fun quirky drama, but the twists have been fairly anxiety inducing and leaves you wondering how there's going to worm out of this situation in a way that makes sense. I kind of like this because it gets my brain thinking, but it does play with your emotions so much if you just wanted fluff :sweatingbullets:

 

Not all dramas speak to everyone, and that is totally ok if this one wasn't for you! I feel like I myself don't enjoy some of the more popular things that everyone likes. Everyone has different tastes and will see things differently for sure.

:heartxoxo:

 

But I do think it's a bit funny since you said they need to announce things ahead of time so that people don't feel disappointed, but at the same time said that all the tropes were predictable...I think that's exactly why the story was not predictable since the style changes...if it was predictable, there wouldn't be a feeling for a need to announce things? As much as it's been controversial at times, it is sweepingly dramatic and has made people drawn to the drama to work things out which is what I feel the writer wanted to experiment with...not to be liked!  :lol: 

 

I've been sort of across 4 forums, as well as stuff like Twitter and reddit, and the general opinions is that a lot of people did dislike episode 14 and complained about the makjang slide (I know I did!) but so far people have not hated the drama as a whole...those who did dropped the drama early on, as it happens with every drama ... but for most people who have remained, it's been more like sorting out their emotions and anxieties as things unfolded. Sometimes that was disappointment, but the same people I've noticed have still been making theories etc. And it's made A LOT of people even more eager for happy Jun and Lala content if the stats are right on my Youtube. This writer sure know how to mess with our emotions. :bawling: 

 

49 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

My Makjang Mood :tounge_wink:

 

Just wanted to say @Ameera Ali Thanks for the gifs!! It's been fun to relive all the funny moments and sweet moment with all your very lovely gifs as well as your funny comments. Thanks for entertaining us all!

 

:cutekitty:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, inaho101 said:

@Ameera Ali if you don’t mind can you do a gif where jun was giggling because rara was giving him a strong hug, I believe it’s the one before dr. Cha came in, you can see him grinning from ear to ear that I think lee Jae wok’s  mom will frown upon lol

I made a whole gif compilation of the scene~ It's on tumblr, just click on the link ;)

https://fan-number20000425.tumblr.com/post/635788247603216384/cr-fan-number20000425-the-cutest

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This writer is unpredictable. They made many predictable cliches twist. So maybe there’s hope after all.

 

Btw my heart broke when Jun’s mom cried outside his room and when his dad hugged him. Those warm moments made me cry. Who knew daddy was a softie?

  • Like 5
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been thinking about Dr. Cha’s speech about the sequence of blooms in episode 1. In the scene, there is a little boy with his mom and later on a guy and a girl on a bicycle. I wonder if it could possibly refer to Jun’s life

 

Here are the sequences of the flowers:

1. Forsythia: symbolizing anticipation. Perhaps alluding to the hardships of Jun’s parents and their anticipation in conceiving a son. Also Jun’s anticipation in meeting RaRa again.

 

2. Magnolia: 

 

“White is a symbol of purity, innocence and spirituality. The white Magnolia flower is there to send a message of kindness and innocence to anyone with love. This beautiful flower is going to be a strong reminder of living your life according to your desires and to the desires of others.”

 

Jun wanting to live his own life while also honoring the dreams of his best friend.

3. Cherry Blossoms: A symbol of love, good times, but also the fleeting nature of life. You see the boy and girl on a bike that look suspiciously like RaRaJun in this scene. It could represent the short time Jun and RaRa spent together in Eunpo. 
 

4. Lilacs: A symbol of first love and true love.

“If the lilac flower is appearing in your life with frequency, it may be reminding you that love is everywhere around you. It could also indicate that it may be the right time to let the new love enter your life.”


Rara is Jun’s first love. Also, it was in Eunpo where Jun felt like he was surrounded by love.

 

5. Last but not least, acacia: It symbolizes beauty in retreat as well as concealed love. In funerals, it is used to symbolize rebirth or immortality. :tears:

Jun may have left RaRa but he truly still loves her. I hope the rebirth/immortality  refers to him beating his cancer rather than a hint of Jun dying and living on in everyone’s memories.

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Rilabear wow such a nice observations:wow1: I just thought that the animation is pretty when I watch it :lol: 

 

1 hour ago, Rilabear said:

Jun may have left RaRa but he truly still loves her. I hope the rebirth/immortality  refers to him beating his cancer

I choose to believe that your hope will come true:transforms:

 

 

Rara said that

" If you endure the tough times, you will reap the fruits of your labor"

( Not only to Jun but to all Twinkles 

Because we endure the tough times going through all of twists and turns for 15 episodes so we'll reap happy ending at last episode)

:issohappy::elated:

 

Rather than thinking that Jun leaves Rara clueless about his illness I choose to think Jun leaves with conviction that he will able to come back to Rara so he didn't want her to worry

 

So Jun will come fully recovered to get his level 3 punishment 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Shocked 2
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rilabear said:

I’ve been thinking about Dr. Cha’s speech about the sequence of blooms in episode 1. In the scene, there is a little boy with his mom and later on a guy and a girl on a bicycle. I wonder if it could possibly refer to Jun’s life

 

Here are the sequences of the flowers:

1. Forsythia: symbolizing anticipation. Perhaps alluding to the hardships of Jun’s parents and their anticipation in conceiving a son. Also Jun’s anticipation in meeting RaRa again.

 

2. Magnolia: 

 

“White is a symbol of purity, innocence and spirituality. The white Magnolia flower is there to send a message of kindness and innocence to anyone with love. This beautiful flower is going to be a strong reminder of living your life according to your desires and to the desires of others.”

 

Jun wanting to live his own life while also honoring the dreams of his best friend.

3. Cherry Blossoms: A symbol of love, good times, but also the fleeting nature of life. You see the boy and girl on a bike that look suspiciously like RaRaJun in this scene. It could represent the short time Jun and RaRa spent together in Eunpo. 
 

4. Lilacs: A symbol of first love and true love.

“If the lilac flower is appearing in your life with frequency, it may be reminding you that love is everywhere around you. It could also indicate that it may be the right time to let the new love enter your life.”


Rara is Jun’s first love. Also, it was in Eunpo where Jun felt like he was surrounded by love.

 

5. Last but not least, acacia: It symbolizes beauty in retreat as well as concealed love. In funerals, it is used to symbolize rebirth or immortality. :tears:

Jun may have left RaRa but he truly still loves her. I hope the rebirth/immortality  refers to him beating his cancer rather than a hint of Jun dying and living on in everyone’s memories.

 

 

such a good explaination.....so i just hope we got happy ending.

  • Like 2
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, 도도솔솔라라솔

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..