[Drama 2020] Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, 도도솔솔라라솔

larus

On 11/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, JenL said:

I've collected them in one blog post

This is cool! Thanks a lot, @JenL. What I like the most - Rara and Jun's mom beaming! Will I ever see that in this show? Will Jun's mom ever soften towards Rara?

What I'd like to see - the daughter-in-law and mother-in-law bonding. This is too much to ask, right?

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never even thought that the nose bleeds might mean something. It started off as a cute nickname RaRa gave to him and now it might be tragic. This show is too light and fluffy to go that way, right?!!! I will be so sad if Jun had an illness.

@Just_Me Good catch! So Jun is 19 (Korean age) right now and will be 20 on January 1st. I believe in SK they graduate in February. 

44 minutes ago, Rilabear said:

I never even thought that the nose bleeds might mean something. It started off as a cute nickname RaRa gave to him and now it might be tragic. This show is too light and fluffy to go that way, right?!!! I will be so sad if Jun had an illness.

It's just mere speculation..hope nothing bad happened to Jun and this drama has tendency to turn something that look so serious into hilarious situation. it's pretty rare RoMCom genre has a sad ending, right?! 

1 hour ago, Rilabear said:

So Jun is 19 (Korean age) right now and will be 20 on January 1st. I believe in SK they graduate in February. 

I think he  will turn 20yo at his birthday, 10th June. 

11 minutes ago, Just_Me said:

It's just mere speculation..hope nothing bad happened to Jun and this drama has tendency to turn something that look so serious into hilarious situation. it's pretty rare RoMCom genre has a sad ending, right?! 

I think he  will turn 20yo at his birthday, 10th June. 

I thought everyone turns a year older with the new year for Korean age. Either way, Jun doesn’t have to wait too long before he can leave home. I still hope he works it out with his parents and decides to go to school.

8 hours ago, Just_Me said:

I found something interesting about this. Idk if the production team did this on purpose or not. 

Remember the scene where Police found the body that have Jun ID card? You can see some numbers on card. The police finger cover the 2 first digit of series number that indicate birth year. But we can see clearly that 4 number that indicate Month and date : 0610. It's mean Jun born on June, 10th 2002. The present timeline maybe past July as we can see on Rara debt note on Jun's phone.

3 hours ago, Rilabear said:

@Just_Me Good catch! So Jun is 19 (Korean age) right now and will be 20 on January 1st. I believe in SK they graduate in February.

1 hour ago, Rilabear said:

I thought everyone turns a year older with the new year for Korean age. Either way, Jun doesn’t have to wait too long before he can leave home. I still hope he works it out with his parents and decides to go to school.

Good catch @Just_Me I remember that we were shown the ID card, but couldn't remember the date on it.

But still, it doesn't take away from the fact that Jun is a minor in the current moment. 

I don't understand what the writer was trying to achieve by having him be a minor - I don't think it adds any positive value to the story. I think the story could have been very good with him being a consenting adult.

I have only seen My Secret Terrius by this writer before, but I will certainly be more careful next time this writer comes out with a new drama.

I really disliked the fact that Goblin had the same set-up with the FL being a high-schooler, and I felt super uncomfortable watching the drama. I remember that many people felt the same way and the writer was criticized heavily for promoting a drama with an adult man and a high-school student.

I don't think it's right to criticize Goblin, but let this one slide just because it's now the male lead who is the minor.

5 hours ago, partyon said:

Good catch @Just_Me I remember that we were shown the ID card, but couldn't remember the date on it.

But still, it doesn't take away from the fact that Jun is a minor in the current moment. 

I don't understand what the writer was trying to achieve by having him be a minor - I don't think it adds any positive value to the story. I think the story could have been very good with him being a consenting adult.

I have only seen My Secret Terrius by this writer before, but I will certainly be more careful next time this writer comes out with a new drama.

I really disliked the fact that Goblin had the same set-up with the FL being a high-schooler, and I felt super uncomfortable watching the drama. I remember that many people felt the same way and the writer was criticized heavily for promoting a drama with an adult man and a high-school student.

I don't think it's right to criticize Goblin, but let this one slide just because it's now the male lead who is the minor.

The problem with Goblin was the HUGE age gap though. Here, the female lead is only 5 years older than than the male lead, and whether he's a minor or not is not a huge issue. In Korea, the age of consent is 16. Jun being a minor is really more of an issue when it comes to him having run away from home. I admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable about the age gap at first, but after thinking it through, it really was more of a socially conditioned double standard I had. After all, I've seen relationships like this in my own life (between a high school student and a close to graduating university student), and was perfectly okay with it, because the guy was older. Anyway, Jun and Rara's relationship isn't illegal, and they're perfectly matched mentally, so I don't see the problem. If their love story took place in the 50s (like in the flashback scene), no one would be complaining...

1 hour ago, Wendy123 said:

The problem with Goblin was the HUGE age gap though. Here, the female lead is only 5 years older than than the male lead, and whether he's a minor or not is not a huge issue. In Korea, the age of consent is 16. Jun being a minor is really more of an issue when it comes to him having run away from home. I admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable about the age gap at first, but after thinking it through, it really was more of a socially conditioned double standard I had. After all, I've seen relationships like this in my own life (between a high school student and a close to graduating university student), and was perfectly okay with it, because the guy was older. Anyway, Jun and Rara's relationship isn't illegal, and they're perfectly matched mentally, so I don't see the problem. If their love story took place in the 50s (like in the flashback scene), no one would be complaining...

Yea I agree with this. The age gap doesn’t bother me as much, I still want there to be a slight time jump though so that he can be out of high school at least. If his birthday is in July 2002 as others have stated Jun is 19 in korean age. Also, I would be hypocritical to be judging their relationship when I personally dated a guy in high school who was 4 years older than me. Was it more acceptable cause he was the guy and I was the girl? Probably? I understand the icky factor of him being a minor still, but to me 19 and 25 isn’t that big a deal. But I do get that this age gap makes it icky for some, and also for them to pursue an actual “adult” relationship Jun needs to be slightly older, so I’m hoping show does a little time jump. Even a year works. 

6 hours ago, partyon said:

I completely agree with you. Jun being a minor was something extremely unnecessary, it actually adds a negative value to the story. I also watched Terius Behind Me and it was such a cool drama, I don't remember seeing anything problematic like this there. I will never understand why the writer decided to do this now with Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, it was such a perfect drama for me until this plot twist was revealed. I still ship Rara and Jun because their chemistry is great but this situation is really uncomfortable, I hope that the time jump will fix this issue.

9 hours ago, partyon said:

2 hours ago, paolaadl said:

completely agree with you. Jun being a minor was something extremely unnecessary, it actually adds a negative value to the story.

It's seem Jun being minor become concern of many viewers rather than the age gap issue. I understand your POV and why it may felt uncomfortable to watch. 

4 hours ago, Wendy123 said:

Here, the female lead is only 5 years older than than the male lead, and whether he's a minor or not is not a huge issue. In Korea, the age of consent is 16. Jun being a minor is really more of an issue when it comes to him having run away from home.

Age of consent in Korea is 16 yo (before is 13yo) and Jun is still minor regarding to law or legal activities, which mean he needs his parents consent because they are his legal guardian. And yes, I agree with you, regarding their relationship,that it's not about legal or not legal, but more about appropriate and inappropriate because of the society. 

But I think writer paid Jun being minor with Jun character that mature and have adult qualities already. He's so responsible.

- even before meet Rara, Jun diligently working hard to provide himself without too much complain. He know that since he runaway from home, so he has to responsible for himself.

- no matter how depressed he is, but it seem he never drown himself in drinks or doing something bad. He taking good care of himself.

- when Rara offer him to drive JuJu, he not trying act cool and give excuses. He tell her that he doesn't have license yet.

He know his limitations because of his age.

I don't know what's true intentions the writer had by making Jun as minor but this is my opinion: that is the biggest internal conflict that Jun and Rara must dealt with. The presence of Dr. Cha and even the stalker not give too much impact to their relationship before or after dating. Rara and Jun getting along very well since beginning (they not start it as love and hate relationship) even on their first encounter on her wedding day. They quickly clear up their misunderstanding about each other and ending it on good note. I can't imagine Rara and Jun will ever have fight because of their personalities. Rara always honest with her feelings and didn't give space to misunderstanding (like the case with Dr. Cha almost confession and  how she clearly reject the Stalker) and Jun always considerate towards Rara. I feel like even Rara make biggest mistake, he will understand her and forgive her.

Jun lies about his age and his family maybe something that Rara hard to understand (because she's such a honest person) and the problem about Jun being minor is something that they can't avoid and can't solved at this moment no matter what. 

If we as viewers feel so conflicted when we know the truth about Jun's age then for Rara it must be more shocking and confusing. She must feel conflicted even more, because he's someone she likes (and they just start dating). 

Rara maybe naive, but she must aware about the situation. Maybe that's why she told Dr. CHa that she doesn't know if she has to mad at him or comfort him.

This drama not only have fast paced storyline but also fast timeline. The story start from Rara graduation recital that held maybe on middle 2019 and fast forward to almost middle 2020 on Rara wedding day and fast forward again to moment where Rara got accident and meet again with Jun.

So we may got time jump again without realise it too much. But before that, I think Rara and Jun have to endure angst moments of their life for a little while which is inevitable on every drama.

Sorry for such a long post:sweat_smile::sweatingbullets:

6 hours ago, paolaadl said:

I completely agree with you. Jun being a minor was something extremely unnecessary, it actually adds a negative value to the story. I also watched Terius Behind Me and it was such a cool drama, I don't remember seeing anything problematic like this there. I will never understand why the writer decided to do this now with Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, it was such a perfect drama for me until this plot twist was revealed. I still ship Rara and Jun because their chemistry is great but this situation is really uncomfortable, I hope that the time jump will fix this issue.

Agree @paolaadl  ! I was for once enjoying a romance drama (I rarely watch romantic comedies and even less often like them), so I was really gutted when they revealed that Jun was a high-school student. For me, it took away from this drama's enjoyment . :cry:

When you're growing up, your brain and cognitive & emotional skills are still developing. Your brain will still keep developing well into your 20s, sometimes even into your 30s. Women's brains develop/mature faster than men's brains.

That means that Ra Ra being a female of 24 years will cognitively and emotionally speaking still be a lot more mature than Jun who is 6 years younger.

A good example of this was Jun who attacked the stalker without thinking about the consequences. I was pretty shocked he acted, without thinking it through. In the end, he thought that he had killed the stalker, which would have meant SERIOUS consequences for Jun for the rest of his life. We can say that he seems mature for his age, but this scene underlined the fact that his brain isn't yet fully developed. He acted according to his impulses - he should have called the police first instead of attacking the stalker in blind rage.

When you have two people that have an age difference when they're young (teenagers, young adults), there will always be the aspect of a power imbalance.

The older person will be more mature (mentally and physically), maybe have his/her own money already, have a job, their own home, etc. The younger one who still might be in school, live with his/her parents, live off the parents' money,etc.

This creates a situation where the younger person is in a less favorable position when it comes to the power balance of the relationship. The older person may be able to take advantage of the younger person, because the younger person may not have the ability to yet e.g. set boundaries, understand what's normal in a relationship. etc.

So, yeah, I am not impressed by the writer's decision to include this plot twist in the drama.

On 11/6/2020 at 5:26 AM, Mapleoaks5 said:

The thing for me though is that Jun needs to stop running away. Just the whole running away aspect feels a bit childish to me. I get that he’s doing this to rebel against his parents, and that in it of itself just seems like teenage angst. I get his reasons and it’s totally valid on his end. But eventually he needs to face his problems and be able to contend with it head on. He can’t keep running away. He needs to become a true adult if he and Rara want to be together. Not just a constant runaway teenager. Their relationship just won’t work then. At least not right now. 

Heh, I can understand why he would want to run away though. His parents are truly awful. But I feel like if he's 19, he should just stick around for however many months till he's legal and then leave. :tounge_wink: I mean it'd be a tortuous few months for sure. But he just needs to get to the point where they can never touch him again.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:35 AM, sweetseptember09 said:

How romantic wouldn’t it be if Rara actually did run away with Jun. But I still understand why she dodn’t do it...she helped Jun’s mom to caught him, because she thought it was the best for him, she followed her brain. But I want Rara later to follow her heart and fight for her man <3after all she promised she Will not let go of him
In the preview Ra Ra is in lots of pain...seems like she won’t go back to her cheerful self like she usually does after just a while... maybe she’ll try to be all cheerful but it will come across as fake. Anyways i hope the seperation won’t drag for too long .When Jun in the preview is taken by ambulance, maybe Ra Ra Will find out about that and maybe that’s when she realizes she can’t live without him... lets see 

Haha, I agree, but I also think it wouldn't sit right :sweatingbullets: I think they need to iron things out with everyone. I also don't think Rara helped Jun's mum to capture him by the way - According to the Epilogue, Rara didn't hand him over to his mum. It was more that Jun's mum found her and Rara wasn't going to be able to escape his mum, so she complied with her demands. Also, Lala would want to do the right thing. I felt like she was sad and confused and a little angry with Jun but she still would have wanted to hear the truth from Jun first. But things just went a little crazy. Like you, hoping their separation won't last long. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:22 AM, fyEkz said:

Like the drama continues to be fast-paced. Now that the cat is out of the bag on Jun's identity we can move on how Jun and Rara can be together.

Yes, I agree! I am very picking about Drama pacing and this drama has keep really well in how it moves the story along and gives characters development time, but also avoids dragging out events and keeps things fresh and exciting. Jun's identity was a big thing, but I'm glad they've gotten that angst out of the way - I think there's still lots of mysteries and stuff to unpack - Rara's dad's evil secretary hasn't been revealed and the body that washed up on shore and of course, DDSSLS's identity :)

On 11/6/2020 at 10:22 AM, fyEkz said:

On a side note: Did Rara's phone got upgraded from Z Flip to Z Fold 2 when she was in the hospital? <_<

Hehe, well, I guess you change phones in real life, so why not in a drama? :tounge_wink:

On 11/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, Just_Me said:

She already fit in :lol: and I am agree with Jun's mom actually hilarious (except when she's being rude and throwing money to everyone) esp when she's with the thug. 

Hahaha, Jun's mum totally would fit in with the TWD ladies if she wasn't so snobby because her husband seems to treat her like a slave and she's probably secretly wishing for a divorce! I think she would be happier if she had an affair with the thug to be honest :tounge_wink: But it seems like the thug will probably have a secret crush on the hairdresser since he saw sparks around her and the TWD ladies called it and their words seem to magically predict what will happen in this series :joy:

16 minutes ago, fyEkz said:

Did they already finished filming the drama? Saw Go Ara posted pictures in her instagram staff celebrating(?) with cake for Lala/Rara.

I think they did. Yesterday, Jun Mom actress also post on her IG said about finished filming. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHUJuqXgN0S/?igshid=13yhhowqntxwc

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHUIO8nAG3S/?igshid=roim6pvekcia

At first,the twist about jun age bother me but as we watch this drama, i think the writer got the point why jun is 19 years. We can see how writer want to  potray the struggle of live from many perspective.All the character heal their soul by meeting a new people at new place.

i hope writer would show more love story of manbok harabeoji because i think its would lead to new plot twist. (or mybe just from my view only)

):hwaiting2:

Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol: Episodes 9-10 Open Thread

by missvictrix

DDSS0910_0.jpg

Our sweet, bubbly world is in danger this week when a stalker and a big reveal collide. Plot lines, characters, and long-kept secrets all come together, and leave a giant mess – and a lot of heartache — in their wake.

EPISODES 9-10 WEECAP

DDSS0910_2A.jpgDDSS0910_2B.jpg

As our drama hits its climax, everything starts to converge in a way that makes a lot of sense. In other words, the pesky stalker that’s been hanging around Lala finally decides to make his move, and this has a huge ripple effect. For everyone. Even little Jae-min!

Jae-min’s little plot arc is so precious that I was literally up in arms when our stalker dude AHN JUNG-JO (Kang Hyung-seok) chooses him as a part of his evil plan. Beyond being a piano prodigy, Jae-min is 100% adorability, and seeing him in his little tuxedo, all excited for his recital, was enough to make me tear up. But when Jung-ho yanks/assaults him, dislocates Jae-min’s arm, and this poor boy goes on the stage whimpering in pain and tries to play the piano with one hand… I’m not crying, I swear! I’m just sweating through my eyes.

Dear Lala lives up to her sweet nature, and thinking of her own recital and her father’s proud support (that fatherly “Bravo!”), she does the same for the distraught Jae-min. And then Joon, Dr. Cha, Sook-kyung, and the rest, do the same. *Still not crying*

This group of characters form such a delightful and loving group of support, and it’s especially sweet to see them all at a celebratory dinner afterwards. Joon is given this great characterizing moment as he watches everyone around him, and takes it all in. Without even having to say a word, it’s clear that Joon is receiving from this new “family” what he never got from his own. And of course, Lala is at the top of that list.

They’re kinda officially a couple now, after that wonderful cable car confession last week. I love them together so much. But it just gets cuter! Lala articulates to Joon how he’s always protected her and that if she brought joy back to his life, he brought happiness back to hers as her “lucky charm.” They also have one of the most squee-worthy piano duets in all of dramaland. It’s light and sweet, but there’s this deeper current going on too, watching their hands overlap across the keyboard.

DDSS0910_4.jpg

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/11/do-do-sol-sol-la-la-sol-episodes-9-10-open-thread/

On 11/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, multiloverssss said:

i like when we got to see happy moments of them in real life despite a sad moments in last episode

Yep, that's why I like behind the scenes contents content including the actor's instagrams and the stuff released by Netflix/ The Swoon - if a drama episode is sad, I always like seeing the actors joking and hanging out in real life so I feel happier :love:

For those who want a reminder of why they love this drama, here's a collection of cute Jun + Lala only drama stills. Have you seen them all before? 

https://thesedramaticdays.blogspot.com/2020/11/pictures-favourite-heartfluttery-dol.html

9KrXyEB.jpg

Someone also asked how many games Go Ara and Lee Jae Wook played with The Swoon & Netflix. You can see on the games and promotional activities they did here: 

https://thesedramaticdays.blogspot.com/2020/11/a-collection-of-all-netflix-games-with.html

BExWqci.jpg

Also updated the DDSSLS OST listing so you can get the pictures of all the covers and listen to the songs here: 

https://thesedramaticdays.blogspot.com/2020/10/ost-doldolsolsollalasol.html

2qw472q.jpg

@backstreetboysfan Thanks I hope so too.

@partyon Def do see your points I agree the age thing has a stop for me. But bringing up GOBLIN is valid.

@larus Always reliable to bring us goodies

@JenL Thank you for this stuff

Something about Korean ages  @partyon @Just_Me

https://www.90daykorean.com/korean-age-all-about-age-in-korea/

Yes my Korean friends told me that they graduate in February (unlike in USA which is in late May or mainly in June)

Cute Samgyupsal party video while we wait for Wednesday

On 11/8/2020 at 3:42 PM, fyEkz said:

Did they already finished filming the drama? Saw Go Ara posted pictures in her instagram staff celebrating(?) with cake for Lala/Rara.

Yes, it looks like it: You can see the full collection of LJW, Go Ara and Crew member's good bye photos all grouped together here: 

https://thesedramaticdays.blogspot.com/2020/11/instagram-updates-lee-jae-wook-go-ara.html

BuLdAxX.jpg

28q9LXK.jpg

On 11/6/2020 at 6:36 PM, kdramagrandma said:

Swinging by just to say I freaking love how wholesome this drama up until now. We are reaching the stage where the angst is high but there is still few light moment that does not make the story feels too heavy. There are a few light moment played for comedic relief but still weave into the story well it does not feel disconnected at all. 

I guess what I love the most throughout this story is how everyone has their own personality and they stay true to it. I don't have to crack my head trying to understand anyone's behaviour no matter how flawed it seems. Even with Dr Cha, while some feels uncomfortable with his intention in earlier episode, I don't really mind it because it never felt truly malicious and he is playing the daddy-long-legs character quite well for both Ra Ra and Jun. Every side character has their own personality and story and it has never been sacrificed for the sake of both main leads storyline.  

Just wanted to say this is so true. Even though the angst was high last episode, I was really impressed at how the show was able to still balance the humour and pacing so that there was still comedic moments that made you laugh out loud (ah, everyone misunderstanding the gangster and Jun's mum made me laugh so much :joy:). And totally agree, the characters personalities are fun and quirky, but are easy to understand. I was confused about Dr Cha at first too...but I feel like he still had a heart of gold. He's just a bit lost and trying to find himself...which Lala and Jun have been helping him do.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:40 AM, Nodame said:

Thanks again @JenL for the BTS pics and another great post on EP 10. You covered all the feels and points that hit me as well. Bravo! :elated: Love it!

Aw Thank you! Your commentary is lovely also! I like how everyone debriefs their feelings after watching each episode. It's so nice to see we share a lot of similar sentiments!  :love:

On 11/7/2020 at 2:40 AM, Nodame said:

I loved Dr Cha (again I love the actor as I have said before) he might have had interest in La La but when he realized his pursuit was not welcomed, he stopped and though surprised he was rejected so quickly. He was still a gentleman.  I feel he had the BURNOUT and now he has serious health issues. I mean HY noticed he takes ALOT of pills and when he fibbed they were vitamins, she wanted some he denied her. Who takes so many pills ? Only Dr Cha and he had to to Seoul for routine check ups def feels he is there to take it easy in Eunpo and enjoy life without much stress.

I mean with his Ex Wife Dr. Cha when they were arguing to divorce. She did not get he was giving up SO much in her eyes status, wealth and prestige. He was thinking-burn out, wife and him no longer in a good relationship, he has health issues and wants to take it easy. Plus La La caught his eye and he had a crush on her. I mean who wouldn't? She is bright, sunny and positive. Plus he plays piano and she does too. They have that love of piano together.

I think Dr Cha is such an interesting character. And different to a lot of second leads, who are often meant to be just as competitive for the female lead's love. I like that there are big differences between him and Jun - I think they're very different people, unlike in many dramas where first and second leads are on more equal standings in life as well as in the female's eyes for affection. I feel like Dr Cha has lived a very exhausting life - both with the pressures of his job, his status as a fairly wealthy person and his suffocating ex-wife, so it's no surprise he would be burning out. I wonder if he has depression or whether his health issues are more physical though? His divorce was obviously to find himself - to feel more freedom and joy and I agree with you that going to Eunpo has helped him to take life slower and enjoy the small things.

Archived