[Drama 2020] Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol, 도도솔솔라라솔

larus

Not going to use spoiler tags because I'm writing my long list of thoughts and prefer not to spoiler tag it, but have warned you that there's spoilers below.  Cover your eyes and don't read my comments if you don't want to know :neutral:

I'm going to say this episode was sweet and typical Lala and Jun, but not out of the woods for angst, that's for sure.

Episode 15

- So pretty much the first thing you find out in the episode is that GY is not a bad person, which was I guess a nice twist even though I still hated that they brought out a girl so late in the game to cause stress. In fact, you could almost like GY for telling Jun he was acting cruel. He doesn't tell her the reason why he needed her to fake being his girlfriend, so at least I didn't feel like she was one up on Lala...she's also left in the dark as to why she had to help out. I also like that she actually drove Jun to meet Lala, but then Jun passed out and she panicked when she saw he had passed out :dissapointed:

-So why did he pass out? why was he faking a relationship? Why did he tell Lala he didn't like her *Drumroll*

Jun has cancer...Leukemia to be precise :bawling::bawling::bawling:.....And yes, he went the noble idiocy route because he didn't want her to worry about him and move on with her life. On the one hand, although not ideal, this is the standard response of sick people in K-dramaland and I understand not wanting someone to wait for you when you could be sick and dying. Also it's hard to be mad at a sick persona, especially a Jun. On the other hand, this story line I could see from miles away, so even though I technically guessed part of it in my theory B, I am surprised they went down this route because it's not actually new - it's quite predictable...except for whether or not the writers will let him live...that depends on how the writers want to spin it...if they feel like keeping it fluffy, they'll make him recover. If they feel like what they think is breaking the mould for a rom com (This is NOT rom com....and it is actually cliche for melo) they'll kill him off :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

-Also I always feel you should tell the truth when you're sick because if you pass away that person is going to be left in a dark hole of never knowing and never having said bye properly. Hmmm.

-As for the whole reaction to Jun's behaviour, Lala is surprisingly forgiving - she doesn't hate him or hurt him for the whole fake girlfriend fiasco...but I think that's because it's interrupted by her finding out that Jun is DDSSLLS....he got the name, not from knowing Lala's dad, but from the cafe that they met at. That shock prevents her from feeling mad. That and her naturally loving nature and the fact she's known Jun to always be there for her...and that he comes and find her when she messages him to tell him that she still loves him :heart: I don't know if it'll appeal to everyone who watches, but I do understand Lala's sense of forgiveness. And I forgive Jun too because now he might be dying!!

-But everyone keeps calling this a "healing" drama?! Does that mean actual physical healing??? Please say yes 

:fear:

Still I'm worried because in this drama, they have always done exactly what they said they'd do. Ie. when you found out Jun was a highschooler...he was actually a highschooler, it wasn't a mix up or a dream. So if they say he's died...I feel like it's going to be the truth and this hurts me. Ughhhhhhh, can't believe we have another night to wait. But since we do, and there's no point speculating about this, I'll move onto happier points.

- Hahaha, I like that the TWD ladies made a cameo in greeting Lala's teacher with their cute "Welcome to Eunpoooo!!!" and then she was conned into a puffy haircut.

-I also liked that her teacher was a mother figure to Lala in this episode. Her encouragement and her understanding of Lala's talents to brighten up everyone's world made me feel so touched 

-Jun and Lala's first meeting was so cute :love: Actually I thought it was really well acted in that you could feel the tension between the two of them through their gaze :heart: It was definitely attraction upon first meeting. Also I laughed that Lala yelled out about the last watermelon juice. I'm the same ...I often want the last thing in the display cabinet and praying the person in front of me doesn't buy it! Also have to say Jun was super smoooooth in that he bought it for her without hesitation :tounge_wink: And actually Lala did try to ask for his number...so it's not like she wasn't trying from her end either :lol:

-There were soooooo many cute scenes of Jun and Lala. I'm going to say because of last week's angst, not even the looming doom and gloom could stop me from enjoying this: I like that they flipped certain scenes like the hairwashing scene (Hahahaha, having Go Ara and Lee Jae Wook wash each other's hair is just hilarious. I wonder if there was lots of NG's during those takes!), Lala clinging onto Jun and saying he was "her man" made me laugh also....Lala being the clingy girlfriend of Jun's dreams :tounge_xd: And finally....bed sceneeeeee....though the cute kind of course. Jun finally got his wish that they'd "sleep next to each other." :love::tounge_wink:  And it was adorable, so adorable to see Lala circle on Jun's chest sleeping happily...if not for the fact Jun was wondering if this would ever happen again 

:criesariver:

- The previews are scaring me though. There's lots of crying and Jun apparently not able to come back. Once again, the writer is messing with my emotions. We shall see how tomorrow goes. 

:no_mouth:

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Kbs did gave us a clingy Rara, she was so adorable this whole episode:fullofhearts:

also the look on juns face, only rara can seriously turn this stoic boy into giggles, I wish I could make a gif off of it. 

sigh~ they better not kill off his character and have rara meet someone who’s similar cause they’ve seriously done that before and my heart ain’t ready for that kind of tragedy.

Ive fallen in love with these characters and to have one of them die is so heart breaking.

This is seriously one of the first kdrama ive watched that I don’t hate anyone. 

please writer-nim!!!!

@Ameera Ali A short summary of how I feel about this drama after watching ep 15...

This drama started out so well - I'm laughing and it's cute - 10/10 points

1) Then came the stalker plot - this is weird but Imma gonna go along with it  -> drop to 9/10

2) Then Jun is revealed to be a high-schooler -> drop to 6/10 (I'm being generous with my points here)

ElasticGreedyCormorant-small.gif

3) Jun leaves Ra Ra unexpectedly - we all know he's hiding something (yoohoo noble idiocy) -> we're at 4/10 now

tenor.gif

4) Jun is revealed to have leukemia (which to be fair I already predicted many episodes ago!!!) -> max 2/10

How did the writer turn such a fluffy and cute drama into something with weird plot reveals and with all the typical kdrama tropes? What a waste!

Bottom line: never watching another drama by this writer again ! :rage:

blacklisted.gif

blacklisted.gif

congratulations for successful blacklisting 

Agree with you , no one can defend the writer choices, only thing that kept me watching is oppa he was under age in the drama I feel I will be arrested any minutes  :mrgreen: 

154EE1A6-94B5-4F8A-983F-0E911EA985F5.gif

Despite all the tropes in this drama, it's not confined to one category, and there are SO MANY twists to keep viewers on their toes.

The backstabbing secretary trope?

We were tricked!

The evil girl who has a crush on our ML?

Nope!

Even the whole noble idiocy thing couldn't last long enough to mark the drama as a noble idiocy drama lol

And it's not a terminal illness drama, because leukemia is not a terminal illness. This writer really turned all the tropes on their heads in one drama. I'm actually impressed. So, there's no need to say that I'm all in until the very end! This drama is definitely going on the top of my list~ 

12 minutes ago, Wendy123 said:

Even the whole noble idiocy thing couldn't last long enough to mark the drama as a noble idiocy drama lol

And it's not a terminal illness drama, because leukemia is not a terminal illness. This writer really turned all the tropes upside down in one drama. I'm actually impressed. So, there's no need to say that I'm all in until the very end! This drama is definitely going on the top of my list~ 

Glad that you like it. Myself, I am very disappointed.

I feel that the writer could have done so much more without having to incorporate these odd plot choices. There was a lot of music in the beginning, but that decreased as the drama progressed.

It's listed as a romcom, but turned into a suspense thriller half way through and now it's a melodrama.

Writer, please make up your mind on the genre

:kicks:

Unfortunately, leukemia IS a terminal illness in many cases, if not most cases (depending on the patient's age). It is a serious illness and throwing this into the plot is not a small matter.

1 hour ago, Wendy123 said:

Despite all the tropes in this drama, it's not confined to one category, and there are SO MANY twists to keep viewers on their toes.

The backstabbing secretary trope?

We were tricked!

The evil girl who has a crush on our ML?

Nope!

And it's not a terminal illness drama, because leukemia is not a terminal illness. This writer really turned all the tropes on their heads in one drama. I'm actually impressed. So, there's no need to say that I'm all in until the very end! This drama is definitely going on the top of my list~ 

same with me...this drama still on the top of my list for romcom(+melo)

even i dissapointed with jun illness but still i got to see rara clingy again...how i miss rara and jun in the beginning.

I think writer use jun illness is one of the ways for jun parents approved their relationship....if jun did not sick, it quite difficult for his parents to accept rara. 

So, we just need to wait for jun to cameback....i still believe we will get happy ending.:hooray2:

57 minutes ago, partyon said:

It's listed as a romcom, but turned into a suspense thriller half way through and now it's a melodrama.

If you veteran watcher you will know Korean dramas do not work in just one gener but incorporate many different gener into a story. likes this from romance, comedy, thriller, melodrama. To me together it show the variety of humanity. I mean life is just not comedy or romance but also those other more serious layer. For the illness writer have been hinting on it though from the nose bleed so it do not comes as a left turn. To me writer have laid early hint that we get answer to now so it is not like she is picking things from a hat last minute. Sure maybe could have been more smooth though in the layering. :) 

I hope Jun survive this and we get a happy ending! :huh:

39 minutes ago, multiloverssss said:

same with me...this drama still on the top of my list for romcom(+melo)

even i dissapointed with jun illness but still i got to see rara clingy again...how i miss rara and jun in the beginning.

I think writer use jun illness is one of the ways for jun parents approved their relationship....if jun did not sick, it quite difficult for his parents to accept rara. 

So, we just need to wait for jun to cameback....i still believe we will get happy ending.

Yea I agree. I think this will be avenue to allow Jun to freely live and allow him to be with Lala. They’re going to realize how precious Juns life is to them and they’ll want his happiness.

I agree with @multiloverssssand @Wendy123despite some of the curveballs, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this drama and will be sad to see it go. 

41 minutes ago, sal2 said:

. For the illness writer have been hinting on it though from the nose bleed so it do not comes as a left turn. To me writer have laid early hint that we get answer to now so it is not like she is picking things from a hat last minute. Sure maybe could have been more smooth though in the layering. :) 

I hope Jun survive this and we get a happy ending! :huh:

Yea the illness was always the ending story I believe, the writer put all the hints and Easter eggs in the story beforehand. So it’s not something that came out of left field. 

I will say Lala is a lot more forgiving than I am. At this point she just thinks he lied cause of going abroad, not cause of an illness. If I were her, I’d be so pissed!!!!!! She’s such a kind/forgiving/loving person. 

edit: also, I can’t believe she didn’t remember their first encounter! They had a prolonged interaction. Lol. Not a brief meeting. 

11 minutes ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

Yea the illness was always the ending story I believe, the writer put all the hints and Easter eggs in the story beforehand. So it’s not something that came out of left field. 

I will say Lala is a lot more forgiving than I am. At this point she just thinks he lied cause of going abroad, not cause of an illness. If I were her, I’d be so pissed!!!!!! She’s such a kind/forgiving/loving person. 

that right....the writer already put the hint regarding jun illness.

Rara personality is consistent, that why we never see her mad

She just a simple person without thinking too hard about something.She living at fullest. She such a forgiving person since the beginning.

28 minutes ago, paolaadl said:

Ok, I'm completely TERRIFIED with the preview of the next episode. I refuse to believe that the writer will end their story tragically. If it happens to be true, this drama will be blacklisted for me just like @partyon I've had enough of this mess, I'm done lol

I'm right there with you - I've enjoyed each and every episode, right up til that preview.

If he survives and they end the drama together then this drama goes right up near the top of my favorites - If the writer is actually heartless enough, and foolish enough to kill Jun off then I'm gonna tuck this drama in at the bottom of the list right underneath VAGABOND - ( actually VAGABOND jumps up near the top of the list if they ever give us a season 2 ) :rolleyes:

The next few hours, waiting for the last episode, are going to be excruciating ...

:headbang:

2 hours ago, partyon said:

I feel that the writer could have done so much more without having to incorporate these odd plot choices. There was a lot of music in the beginning, but that decreased as the drama progressed.

I agree with @Wendy123 and @sal2 in that dramas don't usually have one solid genre in kdrama. They are often a mixing pot of genres to keep the stories engaging. Perhaps you just enjoy what is known as tropes - predictable elements of a kdrama (ie. it'll just be a melodrama so the whole story is focus on an affair or it'll just be a crime drama so the whole drama focuses on catching a stalker). It's more of a black and white way of looking at dramas - like it has to fit a specific, limited category. To be honest, I think a lot of dramas are starting to move away from this model because viewers are starting to want more than just 16 episodes of one thing.

For me, as a long time kdrama and tdrama watcher, I find tropes rather boring because I've seen too many of them and know exactly what will happen when a drama goes into a trope mode :neutral: - that why this drama has been fun and interesting because it subverted those tropes and kept us guessing :love: Much of this thread (and other forums about DDSSLLS) has been people proposing their theories and arguing a case for Jun or guessing who DDSSLLS was this whole time or trying to figure out the story with side characters like if Dr Cha was sick or was the mother evil? 

Also, I thought I'd mention that this has always been the writer's type of style. Oh Ji-Young seems to like to write wacky fun and less conventional scripts and has won awards for her scripts because they are this way

:heartxoxo:

Maybe in finding dramas for the future, I'd recommend looking at the writer's styles so you don't feel disappointed.

One more thing: actually a Korean friend was telling me that Korean Rom Coms often include angst. Maybe not as steep an angsty episode as DDSSLLS, but they do usually go melo for a few episodes. And reflecting back, I think it's true. There's definitely been a few episodes of angst in many other rom com dramas....if it's not angst, it's filler...and to be honest, if I was forced to pick, I prefer angst to filler episodes. :sweatingbullets:

I've enjoyed DDSSLLS :heart: - The romance has been super cute, as has the entire show with its likeable side characters, the music, Mimi, the food and the ups and downs of the show.

:fullofhearts:

With the current separations and trials, sure there's been lots of anxiety, but I think it's been resolved relatively quickly. At least it's not been 3 episodes of the same breakup (haha it's been multiple trials!) I will say I think the illness story line is more predictable than I had hoped for, but I think that it was an outcome that glued all those clues together nicely and maybe she wanted to subvert an illness story (since most of those usually end in death) and you don't normally see an illness story in rom com. 

It was a great episode 15, yay, we got to see Juna and Rara even though he has to leave. Like some of you, I'm pretty hesitant about the last episode because of the crying, but hopefully it's nothing and that its all a trick of something like the other previews they've showed. Maybe all that sad happenings will just be in the first 5min and then we'll all get our happy ending. Hopefully. I still want to see Lala's third wedding that actually will happen this time...lol...if not at least a happy ending with them hand in hand walking off into the sunset kind-of-ending :D. Will miss the show, it's been a great watch. 

Archived