Li Qiang as Ji Zhongyuan
Zhang Zi Xian as Wang Shian
Yao An Lian as Zhu Xiaoxian
Yuan Wen Kang as Meng Annan
Dai Xu as Zuo Qiuming
Xia Ming Hao as Sun Fuan
Zhang Yi Hang as Zhu Licheng

Synopsis:

The drama revolves around intelligence officers during the revolutionary times in Shanghai. (Source: DramaWiki)

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Coming soon...

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This article is written by Minna for JayneStars.com.

Zhu Yilong’s “The Rebel” Premieres to High Ratings

By minna on June 8, 2021 in Chinese Drama, NEWS

The Rebel (2021)

Chinese Republican espionage drama The Rebel <叛逆者> premiered on June 7, and has already pulled in favorable impressions with the CCTV broadcast peaking at 1.2 percent in ratings. Led by Zhu Yilong (朱一龙) and Tong Yao (童瑶), the overall cast delivered strong performances. The dark and mysterious opening builds tension with shots signifying angst and tragedy ahead.

The Rebel is adapted from the novel of the same name written by Bi Yu (畀愚). Set in 1936, the story follows a young trainee of the Fuxing Club Lin Nansheng (Zhu Yilong), who is chosen to go on a mission due to his outstanding observation and logic skills. He is ordered by the Shanghai district head of the Club Chen Moqun (Wang Yang 王阳) to infiltrate an underground Communist base led by university student Zhu Yizhen (Tong Yao). While working as a Kuomintang operative, he eventually grows to admire the courage and the beliefs held by the Communists. Later as a double agent, he strives to fight against the Japanese regime to achieve national justice and peace.

Playing a spy in these conflicted times, Yilong looks rugged with his thin frame and sunken cheeks. The low lighting and close-up shots effectively makes every scene look raw and realistic. While his acting is very detailed and his expressive eyes convey his inner conflict, Yilong delivers a cautious performance, and the supporting cast tends to outshine him in the opening episodes.

Veteran Wang Yang (王阳) shows to be more eye-catching with his role as the chilling Chen Moqun, who uses any means necessary, including gruesome torture tactics to psychologically break down captured spies to extract information. Another senior actor, Wang Zhiwen (王志文), who plays Gu Shenyan, impresses with his quick change in expressions under a minute.

The plot moves quickly and the identity of the Communist mole is unveiled in the first two episodes, but the cleverly written dialogue and psychological tension hooks viewers in. Drawing parallels to classic espionage drama The Disguiser <伪装者>, fans of the genre will surely not want to miss The Rebel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@huilin84  @Phroggies I just finished watching eps 9 & 10.  These 2 eps are quite tense. Things are heating up.  Zhu Yilong's Lin Nansheng is so conflicted already.  Next week should be exciting. 

Zhu Yilong's character role - Lin Nansheng is very a layered and complicated one.  And most important, an emotional one.  So I'm really looking forward to next week and to see how he can pull off  his character-growth as a Double-Agent : a Cold-Blooded KMT Spy, a Patriot and a Sentimental, Protective Lover - all at the same time.

To those who are lurking,   I'll say this drama is worth watching

• Like 2

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel 叛逆者
7 hours ago, hush puppy said:

To those who are lurking,   I'll say this drama is worth watching

I just finished 8 and I totally agree so far. This is a really good combination of suspense and emotionally engaging characters. 

• Like 2

Dear  @Phroggies Glad you are joining the forum.  Go and watch eps 9 & 10.  You'll love them.

Tong Yao as Zhu Yizhen has an easier role. She just needs  to act as a perky, independent-minded girl, who is considered unconventional for her era.  Although from a wealthy family, she is Unspoilt and Patriotic.  A rather straight-forward job.  Such a character-role can easily wins admiration from viewers.

In recent years, she is good at picking her roles.  All with award-winning potentials.  But while watching her, I couldn't help thinking of Zhang Ziyi, who I think will do a better job here.  Just my thoughts. Of course, others might think otherwise.

Zhu Yilong as Lin Nansheng has a tougher job.  I see LNS as having to go through 3 Stages of Growth:

Initial Stage:  A naive, innocent boy who just graduated from university.  As with most new graduates, he is Idealistic and enthusiastic.  In the difficult and unstable Republican era, he just want to do his bit to help defend his country.  Basically, he is a kind, compassionate and principled gentleman.

Mid-Stage: He starts to be disillusioned by the party he has joined. In the opening ep 1, he is already questioning the way they are torturing a young boy for information. Disagree but still loyal. Confused and vacillating.

Meanwhile, as a full-blooded, young man, he starts to be fascinated by Zhu Yizhen: her ideals and her steadfastedness to stand for them.  Their common love for the country and its people.

Final Stage: His boss, Chen Moqun will continue to disappoint him.  The cracks are getting bigger and louder as we proceed along.  I'm sure it won't be long before he realises which side he should be with.  And when that happens, he will enter the Final Transformation - to give us the Sparks of this Drama.  

I couldn't wait!

:hwaiting:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Since I'm alone here, I feel no need to use "spoiler tags".

I finished eps 15 & 16 yesterday. We are entering the Explosive Stage.

Eps 15 & 16 signals Lin Nansheng's resolute decision to stand for his beliefs. To stay and fight for his country.  He obviously has no time to  decide to switch sides yet. He needs more hardships to push him to do that. 

His ex-boss Chen Moqun has been sent back to the Nanjing Training Centre to train the students.  His deputy Wang Shian took over his position as "Acting" Shanghai Chief Officer and appoints Gu Shenyan his deputy. 

GSY considers LNS as CMQ's lackey.  He cannot trust him and wants to return him back to Nanjing  as well.  But LNS is determined to stay put.

Wang Shi-an could not gather any important intel on Eisuke Ikeda, the new Japanese Spy who is disguised as a aqua products business-man. In actual case, he oftens go to the coastal areas to study the coastlines of Chine. In preparations for the landings of the Japanese Naval Force. 

WSA's superior is getting impatient. Being new in his position, he needs to prove himself.  And LNS offered to help

These 2 eps set the stage for LNS to begin his Active involvement.  He managed to recruit his friend - Ms Lan Xin, the Club Dance Hostess to help him gather intelligence on  Ikeda.  Lan Jie enters Ikeda's private study-room to snap some info.  But the suspicious Ikeda is about  to catch her red-handed.   Ep 16 ends in Suspense.  

Best Moment: When Gu Shenyan asked LNS to return his gun, tears stream down his cheeks. Very poignant. Without Chen Moqun, he is like a "Lost Puppy".

:sad1:

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

On 6/13/2021 at 4:45 PM, SC2019 said:

@hush puppy I can empathise with you. I am alone too on another thread, but do go on, I am sure the silent lurkers are reading your thoughts.

My Dearest  @SC2019.  You are the nicest Soompi Moderator I've have come across.  

I continue because this is One Of The Best Chinese Spy Dramas I've seen :

1)  It has Cinematic Quality, 

2) Both the Male and Female Leads are among the best in the Chinese Entertainment World.  Tong Yao just won the  Magnolia Award for Best Actress 

3) There is No Dragging. 

4) Sensible Plot.

5) All round great actors - even the Supporting Casts are so good.

6) I've yet to see any "Jumping" i.e. "Over-Acting".  Everybody is on point.

The Male Lead in Ep 1 :

When he joined the KMT Shanghai Secret Service, you can see he is such a novice.  The young, fresh from college, naive person we all are when we take on our first job.  There are so many scenes which really moved me.

- How much he respects and is in awe of his Boss.  The way he stands at "Attention" whenever he calls him.  How much he wants to please him.  Not to disappoint him.

- When he saw the interrogation victim on his very first day in the Shanghai HQ.  How his entire body shivers? How he has to shut his eyes. His flushed face, watery eyes and bulging forehead veins.

Nobody breaks as beautifully as Zhu Yilong, not even Zhang Ruo Yun or Cheng Yi. The first ep of The Rebel is wonderful! I am a huge fan of well-made Republican era spy dramas because the stakes and intensity are always through the roof (and yes, of...
Nobody breaks as beautifully as Zhu Yilong, not even Zhang Ruo Yun or Cheng Yi. The first ep of The Rebel is wonderful! I am a huge fan of well-made Republican era spy dramas because the stakes and intensity are always through the roof (and yes, of...

Spoiler

And those were only from Ep 1.  I've  since then finished ep 16.  I've seen his Growth - which came at the cost of the "tearing of his Soul".

What more can one ask for ?  I'm really enjoying myself!

:approves:

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

@hush puppy, you’re not alone! But I’m behind you by several episodes. I’m watching with subs on the IQIYI app, and those are coming out more slowly—I’m getting so into the show that I’m trying to watch the raws, but it’s slow going given the complexity of the plot! Right now I’m in the middle of 15 but I think I’m going to have to watch it again with subs. So I’m trying to skip your last two posts for now, but I look forward to reading them when I’m caught up!

• Love 1

On 6/13/2021 at 7:21 PM, Phroggies said:

@hush puppy, you’re not alone! But I’m behind you by several episodes. I’m watching with subs on the IQIYI app, and those are coming out more slowly—I’m getting so into the show that I’m trying to watch the raws, but it’s slow going given the complexity of the plot! Right now I’m in the middle of 15 but I think I’m going to have to watch it again with subs. So I’m trying to skip your last two posts for now, but I look forward to reading them when I’m caught up!

Hi @Phroggies  Good to see you. We can always discuss ep by ep.  I can go backwards to do that. No problem.  But because there is no one else, my comments have been rather "simplistic". :lol:

I just finished eps 17 & 18.  Regret to say the Quality dips a fair bit. They "cut" a lot. But in a nutshell:

1) It's 3 years later - 1939 already.  Fast approaching the Second World War. With the outbreak of the Battle of Songhu in 1937 and the fall of Shanghai, Wang Shian is failing in his duty. KMT suffered losses.

2) The Japanese are getting bolder, having acquired more territories.  Ikeda is a pain in the neck for the KMT. Wang Shian & Gu Shenyan are agonising on how to get rid of him permanently without firing a single shot.  Because they did not want the Japanese to use the assassination as an excuse to inflict worse attacks on China - as in the 918 Railway Tracks Incident in Manchuria.  (LNS again came up with a plan.  Aided by Gu Shenyan. Plan succeeded. Both are given special Awards).

3) LNS is now a Captain of the Operation Squad. A position formerly held by Hu Dao Yi (one of Chen Mozun's men).  With the new responsibility and experience, LNS is a different person now. More assertive. No longer the timid, young boy. He can even "bark" at Wang Shian.

4) Hu Dao Yi's defection was engineered by Wang Shi-an. Using the botched attack on the Japanese Long Hua Airport (813 the August 13th Incident). 

5) Wang Shian turns out to be corrupted and incompetent.  He is more interested in filling his own coffers than the welfare of his team.  If things deteriorate, I can visualise him fleeing with his money & gold bars first. His higher ups are not happy with his performance and is sending Chen Moqun back to Shanghai.

6) Chen Moqun reluctantly agrees to do so but with 3 conditions. 

- All his men in the key-positions must be appointed by him

- Less interference from the higher-ups at Nanjing.

- He wants to go to Hong Kong first.

7) KMT and the underground Communist Party are planning to cooperate against the Japanese. They are meeting to confer.  LNS will represent KMT.  Zhu Yizhen returns to Shanghai and offers to represent the CCP. (So that is how the ex-lovers will meet again)

8) Ep 18 ends with Chen Moqun quietly arriving in Hong Kong.

So tomorrow, should return to the maddening pace and urgency again.  I'm sure CMQ will pair up with LNS again.  And LNS will climb the Hierachy Ladder.  He is fast becoming an important person in KMT. 

Chen Moqun will reopen his old enmity with Gu Shenyan. And his brutality will hasten LNS's decision to work under-cover for the Communists.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

Wow. Wow. Just wow.  As I've predicted yesterday, Ep 20 is the Best so far.  So suspenseful. So sad.

Those who still refuse to watch "The Rebel" don't know what you are missing.

So the real Culprit is Wang Shi-an.  The man who replaced Chen Mo-qun as Shanghai Station Master. The one who acted so innocent and naive.  He called the Japanese to inform them when Chen Mozun will be arriving in Shanghai.

No wonder Lin Nansheng almost perished in his last ambush on Hu Dao Yi (ep 18)  and came back "lashing" at Wang Shi-an.

Getting intel on Eisuke Ikeda and having him killed is just to gain the Trust of the KMT higher-ups and his colleagues.  So that he can operates more smoothly

Chen Moqun was arrested by the Japanese as soon as he arrived in Shanghai from Hong Kong.  They talked to him.  Fed him well. Meanwhile with intel from Wang Shi-an, the Japanese bombed the Loyal Salvation Army Liaison Office. Then release CMQ.   Making it looks as though, it was all Chen Moqun's work.

Chen Moqun, Gu Shen-yan, Lin Nansheng.... all have been "FOOLED", "USED", "MANIPULATED" by Wang Shi-an.  Now this is a Real Spy Drama.

Chen Moqun may be too strict and dedicated in his task.  But he is very Loyal to the KMT party and country.

CCP Gu Shenyan may be smart to evade KMT detection.  But not smart enough to spot the real Traitor; to be used by Wang Shi-an to get rid of Chen Moqun

Lin Nansheng is learning.  But not fast enough.  He is still acting like a Novice among the Old Bones.

My sympathy is with Chen Moqun.  He is being manipulated so shrewdly by Wang Shi-an, that everybody from the Top to the Bottom of the KMT Hierachy now believes he is the Japanese Mole who has betrayed the Party and Country.  He has nowhere to go now.  Because the Order from Nanjing HQ is "To Shoot On Sight".  But I also wonder how he feels - as a Victim; as a "Hunted" instead of being the Hunter.

Wang Shi-an is Ruthless to the core - exactly like a Japanese Militant.  I'm very sure he'll die a very Ignominious Death in the end.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

The  ratings and popularity of "The Rebel" for the first week, continues to rank First. The Douban page with more than 44,000 comments are basically good recommendations.  

The Communist Party lurking in the Shanghai area of the secret service is always "walking on the tip of the knife".  The surface is calm and the waves are raging. I find that the wonderful sections are evenly distributed in the series and each ep has a Climax.

Spy warfare is a battle of wits and courage between people.  Unlike many spy dramas that deliberately design suspense for the audience and use the mystery aspect to whet the audience's appetite,  "The Rebel" takes a different route.

From ep 1 we already know Gu Shenyan's identity as the "Postman".  Without the suspense of the Guessing Game, I can fully enjoy watching the 2 protagonists pitting their wits against each other. While Lin Nansheng observes.

Because I don't have to guess, I can observe the details in "The Rebel".  

The Execution of the Traitor - Wang Zhi (ep 4 & 5)
The hotel was tightly guarded and seemed impenetrable.

But from :
- the CCP's guy disguised as a food deliveryman to explore the internal environment
- to the concession area patrolmen disguised to catch a "cheating wife"
- and finally shooting outside the window

They're all very logically carried out.

1) The delivery boy tried to steal-eat the food he is delivering, puting the guard's doubts to rest
2) The 2 "fake patrolmen" used the accelerator pedal to drown out the sound of the gun-shot
3) Sticking tapes on the glass window to prevent the breaking glass from falling onto the ground and make a lot of noises when the Bullets pass through it.

Which is why I enjoy watching it.  How about you all?

• Like 1

I am going to try to watch this because I like ZYL and I love TY. I alzo like "Teng Ze Jing" hehe... Unfortunately this era is just not my favourite...

The guy who plays WSA, is that his real voice? I just can't remember which drama had that voice. None of the drama in the actor's credentials ring a bell, but I just knew that voice appeared in one of the C dramas that I liked.

• Like 1

Hi everybody, I just finished eps 21 and 22.  I still prefer ep 20:lol:.  I shall talk about these 2 eps tomorrow.

@dzareth I don't like the Republican Era either - dark, depressing, confusing times. Even if one has an understanding of it's History.   But if there is a good story, I'll watch e.g Winter Begonia.   And now this.

After tonight, I feel that "The Rebel" is not just a spy drama.  It is also a drama about Thoughts, Doctrines and Beliefs; Growth and Conscience - and Human Relationships. And that is what makes it so intriguing for me.

KMT went from being the formal government to being abandoned by the people.

At the beginning, the people believed KMT could save China.  Many people dedicated their lives to KMT.  But KMT's approach is chilling.  The bureaucracy is corrupt and treats the children of the capitalist and ordinary people differently.

The male lead Lin Nansheng, a child from a country family, has read books and is the embodiment of a typical people.  Did he believe in KMT at first? Of course he does.

But he later abandons it for the Communists.

We, who are born in peaceful times, cannot fully comprehend the feelings and reactions of the people from that era.  The older generations would have a better understanding of this drama.

BTW the Douban Score just came out and it is 8.4

I would like to share a Quote from ep 20.  When Wang Shi-an sent Lin Nansheng to the Confinement Room.  Lin Nansheng said : 

"One who betray his comrade, is  more despicable than a traitor."

• Like 1
  • Love 1