[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] The Rebel 叛逆者

sugarplum892

On 6/24/2021 at 2:45 AM, comradeocean said:

ep 28 spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

debates over whether Lin Nansheng and Zhu Yizhen ~became more intimate~ after the embrace by the window

- he just hurt the left side of his back really badly
+ but Zhu Yizhen being a problem-solving Communist agent could easily take the lead with the more physically taxing activities
++ just as she's taken the initiative previous times in their relationship
- Lin Nansheng is so pure and single-minded in his dedication to the war effort
+ that was not a ~pure~ embrace! the way he stood up/rushed over like he was ~overcome~ plus ppl do all sorts of unexpected things during moments of crisis and heightened emotions like during wars. in the novella they go at it like rabbits
+ cut scene to snow flakes drifting down and a fade to black. precipitation like falling rain/snow is often a poetic shorthand to convey sex happening
+ the way she has her hand up against the window is reminiscent of Rose, in the car with Jack, in Titantic, probably the most famous movie sex scene ever
+ the next scene he's in is a meeting with Wang Shian and Lao Gu. he's already met w Lao Gu before the window scene. seems unlikely to meet multiple times in one day. so they had a whole night where anything could have happened!

judging by the number of exclamation marks and +s you can prob guess my position on this question lol

don't know if it's more tragic or less tragic the way he mumbles Zhenzhen after they are shot (by the same bullet!!) if it's something he'd called her before (in moments of intimacy) or only ever in his own head

douban users have been very diligently interpreting this scene and came up with some more iron-clad analysis. as an unabashed Nanzhen fan I am finding it extremely amusing!

Out of curiosity (and/or to understand what I'll be entering into), I bought the original novel link and just completed studying the prologue. Looks promising, up to now.

Edited by gasdge3

• 2 weeks later...

I'd watched first few episodes of the Rebel, before I've give up, but it well made and we'll performed drama. The mood and the cinematic side is executed, actors delivers very good characters, and the script (except the obvious political influence) is written to give a lot of room for characters to grow and be very authentic in their flews and believes. Maybe I'll give it another shot, when in different mood, because it's solid and nice drama (at least after first few episodes I'd watched).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

(Posted on: Thursday, 15 July 2021)

@Di_Ya   This is a Drama worth watching.    It gives me much satisfactions - because of the Excellent Script, the Pace, the way it was Directed and of course the Acting.   It is so Good, that you won't even notice the political influence.

The only Actor who disappoints me is Actress Tong Yao.  After Hong Kong, she seems to have mis-interpreted her Character-Role:  So devoid of emotions.

Another disappointment is the open-ended Conclusion.  I believe that if you dare to tell a Story, then be brave enough to give us your conclusion.  Giving an open-ended finale is a show of Cowardice from the Director.  

I wish you have watched "The Rebel" at the same time as me.  I would have enjoyed discussing this drama with you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2021 at 9:28 AM, hush puppy said:

Best Moment: When Gu Shenyan asked LNS to return his gun, tears stream down his cheeks. Very poignant. Without Chen Moqun, he is like a "Lost Puppy".

this scene breaks my heart, he really is like a lost puppy :joy::confounded:

On 6/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, hush puppy said:

I continue because this is One Of The Best Chinese Spy Dramas I've seen :

1)  It has Cinematic Quality, 

2) Both the Male and Female Leads are among the best in the Chinese Entertainment World.  Tong Yao just won the  Magnolia Award for Best Actress 

3) There is No Dragging. 

4) Sensible Plot.

5) All round great actors - even the Supporting Casts are so good.

6) I've yet to see any "Jumping" i.e. "Over-Acting".  Everybody is on point.

fully agreed with this, you describe it completely and beautifully. so rare to find a drama without some misshap or plothole. and i don't want to miss every second. My ritual before watching the rebel were, taking shower, drink enough water, preparing a box of tissue. and i'm ready :joy:

• Love 1

On 8/28/2021 at 12:55 PM, Dian said:

this scene breaks my heart, he really is like a lost puppy :joy::confounded:

fully agreed with this, you describe it completely and beautifully. so rare to find a drama without some misshap or plothole. and i don't want to miss every second. My ritual before watching the rebel were, taking shower, drink enough water, preparing a box of tissue. and i'm ready :joy:

@Dian  Hi dear!  You found your way here at last:lol:.  Very sensible of you to make the necessary preparations before you watch. I prefer to watch late at night. That's the time when we have the "Least" of interruptions. But of course at times, I can't.

One thing about "The Rebel" is, there is No Need for any Passionate Kisses or that kind of Scenes.  Their muted and restrained kind of love is just as Powerful.  And I respect that kind of behaviour.  Especially when we're now living in an "Instant World" where there is no Self-Control and a lack of Morality.

I hope you will enjoy reading.  There is so much more I would like to touch on.  But I did not do so back then - because I was basically "Alone".

• Love 1

On 8/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, hush puppy said:

I hope you will enjoy reading.  There is so much more I would like to touch on.  But I did not do so back then - because I was basically "Alone".

I really enjoy your insight. I was also wandering alone when the drama still airing :anguished:. I really love to read people's insight about this drama. I'm not good at giving my two cents, but believe me or not, i'm collecting article and insight from the Rebel :joy:, so i can re-read again someday. 

• LOL 1

27 minutes ago, Dian said:

I really enjoy your insight. I was also wandering alone when the drama still airing :anguished:. I really love to read people's insight about this drama. I'm not good at giving my two cents, but believe me or not, i'm collecting article and insight from the Rebel :joy:, so i can re-read again someday. 

Have you finished reading through this Thread?  Feel free to discuss anything about "The Rebel".

1) This is the first drama of Zhu Yi Long that I've watched.  I don't know him before "The Rebel". 

2) After that I tried "Guardian" but don't like it. Cannot get absorbed into the story. So I gave up.

3) After that I watch "Dear Myself".  He was good in that.  But I don't like the plot.  I don't like all the girls in that story.  And that he fell in love with a manipulator. Never mind that she was older than him.

4) I like him in "The Story Of Ming Lan".  

5) Didn't watch the rest. Because I don't think I'll like them. So all in, I've only watched 3 of his dramas. Will watch his new movie: "Cloudy Mountain" 

It is funny how all his fans never visited his Celebrity Thread.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, hush puppy said:

Lin Nansheng's subordinate Zhao Jinlong visited his "Confinement Cell" and told him Chen Moqun has defected.  He threw a newspaper into his cell for him to read.

this scene break my heart :bawling:. the scene in the prison was very immersive. he felt so weak and hopeless, I could feel it just by looking at his back as seen from behind. even when his sub-coordinates came, and called him captain, he didn't get up, and said that he was no longer the captain. only when his subordinate left and said to read the newspaper did he immediately get up. at that time his trust in chen mo qun completely collapsed. I feel that he still has hopes that cmq is not a traitor. but after he read the newspaper, he read it throughly, then he laughed bitterly, and then he become angry, the scene was delivered very well by zhu yi long. those 2 minutes (about) performance was so immense. the feeling when the person we trust turn his back on us. and in this case, not only on us but the whole country  :bawling::bawling:

8 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

Have you finished reading through this Thread?  Feel free to discuss anything about "The Rebel".

i'm just resuming it now :joy:. i've a busy day yesterday and before. but i really love your insight. i'm so happy that i'm not alone and someone really adore this show :bawling:

1 hour ago, Dian said:

this scene break my heart :bawling:. the scene in the prison was very immersive. he felt so weak and hopeless, I could feel it just by looking at his back as seen from behind. even when his sub-coordinates came, and called him captain, he didn't get up, and said that he was no longer the captain. only when his subordinate left and said to read the newspaper did he immediately get up. at that time his trust in chen mo qun completely collapsed. I feel that he still has hopes that cmq is not a traitor. but after he read the newspaper, he read it throughly, then he laughed bitterly, and then he become angry, the scene was delivered very well by zhu yi long. those 2 minutes (about) performance was so immense. the feeling when the person we trust turn his back on us. and in this case, not only on us but the whole country  :bawling::bawling:

He was good throughout "The Rebel".  So easy to like him there.  He is so Tragic.  Loves his story with Lan Xing Jie the Nightclub Dance Hostess.  I cried when she blew herself up. 

She loves him. Was grateful for all his help and care when she needed them.

He felt Guilty for getting her involved with KMT.  Respected and sympathises with her.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

1) This is the first drama of Zhu Yi Long that I've watched.  I don't know him before "The Rebel". 

2) After that I tried "Guardian" but don't like it. Cannot get absorbed into the story. So I gave up.

3) After that I watch "Dear Myself".  He was good in that.  But I don't like the plot.  I don't like all the girls in that story.  And that he fell in love with a manipulator. Never mind that she was older than him.

4) I like him in "The Story Of Ming Lan".  

5) Didn't watch the rest. Because I don't think I'll like them. So all in, I've only watched 3 of his dramas. Will watch his new movie: "Cloudy Mountain" 

It is funny how all his fans never visited his Celebrity Thread.

For me is when i searched his profile because i'm a fan of daomubiji, so when i heard that they will make a new adaptation called Reunion the sound of Providence, i start to find info about him as the main lead. and then i started watching guardian (i have the habbit of searching the main lead of my favourite show), i'm very surprised that he can played 3 role and all of them were very different. that's when i'm falling in love with him and become a fan. i spent last year to dig more about him, his drama, his interview, etc. and the success of Reunion, and his brilliant performance there just make me adore him more. 

I can say that the rebel is his best performance, in term of the overall production. He's always awesome at every role he played (may be i'm biased) but not all of his drama has great overall production (it's just my opinion). and The Rebel is rare, everything in it has connection and overall production is great. 

If you asked me what drama that i like from him, i would suggest Reunion the sound of providence (if you like adventure thing), he's awesome there, it's adapted from books and have many adaptation too with different actor everytime. DMBJ has a huge fandom, and playing the main character "wu xie" is a big challenge. But he's the type to take challenge, and he prove it with brilliant performance.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:41 AM, hush puppy said:

Another thing I like about "The Rebel" is, it does not depict the Male Lead - Lin Nansheng as an Invincible,  Super Hero.  Who comes in and immediately does great things. 

It patiently makes him learn his stuff step by step.  So that his Transformation Process will appear very real and meaningful.

But I guess a lot of Viewers have no patience for that - Reality! 

i really like the fact that Lin Nan Shend was only ordinary people, and the give detail of his growth. did you already know about this? Zhu Yi Long left a message on the comment area of third episode on iQiyi China platform. I don't know if this is the right translation, please correct me if I'm wrong.

#主创在此# My role in "The Rebel" is Lin Nansheng. He is the epitome of a young man who had a passion for serving the country at that time. He struggled in the dark for his beliefs. He has great ideals and persistence. Ordinary confusion and entanglement. Although this work has transformed into the main line with the growth of "Lin Nansheng", it presents more to the audience. It is the "retrogrades" who adhere to the original aspirations for the sake of national justice in the turbulent era. Destiny is placed against the historical background, turning passionate blood into silent waiting and sacrifice. Although in the dark, the heart is bright, born ordinary but passionate. Hope everyone likes this character~

On 6/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, hush puppy said:

To me, what is important is the Human Spirits.  The People's Story.  The Ideology does not matter.

This, i agree. I think, we can take good thing and good example from the Rebel. not mention the ideology. It's about how a person growth, love and fight for his country. I'm not living in comunism country but I can feel the spirit of that young man, his patriotism for his country. His wish for the best of people in his country.

10 hours ago, Dian said:

If you asked me what drama that i like from him, i would suggest Reunion the sound of providence 

#主创在此# My role in "The Rebel" is Lin Nansheng. He is the epitome of a young man who had a passion for serving the country at that time. He struggled in the dark for his beliefs. He has great ideals and persistence. Ordinary confusion and entanglement. Although this work has transformed into the main line with the growth of "Lin Nansheng", it presents more to the audience. It is the "retrogrades" who adhere to the original aspirations for the sake of national justice in the turbulent era. Destiny is placed against the historical background, turning passionate blood into silent waiting and sacrifice. Although in the dark, the heart is bright, born ordinary but passionate. Hope everyone likes this character~

This, i agree. I think, we can take good thing and good example from the Rebel. not mention the ideology. It's about how a person growth, love and fight for his country. I'm not living in comunism country but I can feel the spirit of that young man, his patriotism for his country. His wish for the best of people in his country.

@Dian

1) 1'll look up "Reunion: The Sound Of Providence".  Hope it's as good as you said. I'm quite fussy when it comes to dramas and movies. Which is why I did not watch the rest of his works.

2) Your Translation on ZYL's insertion is right on track.  How nice of him to read his Viewers' Comments and to participate as well.

3) You said: "This, i agree. I think, we can take good thing and good example from the Rebel. not mention the ideology. It's about how a person growth, love and fight for his country. I'm not living in comunism country but I can feel the spirit of that young man, his patriotism for his country. His wish for the best of people in his country."

I applaud your Open-Mindedness. Very rare to find such people.

Talking about Ideology - there is both Good & Bad in every ideology.  I'm sure you'll agree Not everything is good in Democratic Countries. Neither is there Absolute Freedom in Democratic countries.  What is more important is how the Government of the day interpretes their form of government and adapt it for the Benefit of their Country and People.

If we are so Proud of our Democracy, at least we should show some "Open-Mindedness".

4) In fact every country propagandise and glorify themselves in their films and dramas: whether it is the Americans, Japanese or Koreans.

What I like about "The Rebel" is it actually stays very close to History.  As you can read from my comments, the similarities between Chen Mo Qun and several Historical Figures.

And we can also attest to the Accuracy by observing the current relationship between China and Taiwan.  And how each government conducts themselves. Taiwan is very pro-USA and Japan. To me that is not very Patriotic.  Just as how they are portrayed in "The Rebel".

5) Like you, I also have the habit of Researching into an Actor if I like his Acting.  But I do not become a Fan of every actor I have researched.  So far I only like Zhu Yi Long and Song Wei Long.  

It is a co-incidence that both their Names end in "LONG".:hwaiting2:

I will only like an Actor if he is also a Good Person in Private.  And both these two Actors fulfil that requirement.  I don't have any favourite Actress.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, hush puppy said:

I love "The Rebel" very much. Because the Script is so well-written and "detailed".  Every scene has a Special Meaning.  There are too many such scenes for me to explain.  This is a very Intellectual Drama.  So watch it with care.

"Watch it with care", yes. one of the reason that it's hard to move on from The Rebel is because i want to understand every scene in there, every gesture they take, every action they make. It's very rich in the meaning and emotion.

29 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

Talking about Ideology - there is both Good & Bad in every ideology.  I'm sure you'll agree Not everything is good in Democratic Countries. Neither is there Absolute Freedome in Democratic countries.  What is more important is how the Government of the day interpretes their form of government and adapt it for the Benefit of their Country and People.

exactly. 

30 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

I will only like an Actor if he is also a Good Person in Private.  And both these two Actors fulfil that requirement.  I don't have any favourite Actress.

Lmao, same. I don't have any favourite actress too, and Zhu Yi Long is the first actor that i adore so much. I just love his portrayal of his characters, but knowing his real personality (of course i only knew this from his interview or bts, not in real life), I love him so much. He's the first actor that open up my mind, making me learn and love my own life. He let me know that each of us are great human being and never give up to pursue our dream. I'm so glad i could be a part of audience from this great work.

• Love 1

On 7/15/2021 at 12:55 PM, hush puppy said:

Another disappointment is the open-ended Conclusion.  I believe that if you dare to tell a Story, then be brave enough to give us your conclusion.  Giving an open-ended finale is a show of Cowardice from the Director.  

I'm pretty much ok with the open-ended conclusion. I felt like the director gave us an open-ending, giving the viewer rich in interpretation. Lin Nan Sheng was only an example of a young man in that era. Some LNS might already be dead when he's being shot near the river. some LNS might be living through that era. some LNS might be lost his love. some LNS might be become a teacher after that era. 

5 hours ago, Dian said:

I'm pretty much ok with the open-ended conclusion. I felt like the director gave us an open-ending, giving the viewer rich in interpretation. Lin Nan Sheng was only an example of a young man in that era. Some LNS might already be dead when he's being shot near the river. some LNS might be living through that era. some LNS might be lost his love. some LNS might be become a teacher after that era. 

@Dian  I like everything about "The Rebel".   Except the Ending.  It is too rushed. Otherwise "The Rebel" could have been more Impactful.  

- Wang Shi-an: Everybody dies because of him. Because of him Chen Mo Qun became a Traitor.  Because of him, Gu Shen-yan, Lan Xin Jie, Lao Ji, Zhu Yi-zhen died.  Lin Nan Sheng almost died too. So they should at least show us how all his Wrong-Doings got exposed: his "Corruptions" ; how he betrayed CMQ.  Show us how he died.

Most viewers are confused about the ending. 

But to me Zhu Yi-zhen died in the River and her body was never found.  That photo of Lin Nan Sheng and ZYZ with all the children was something like:  "If only she is still alive.....".  Something Lin Nan Sheng had wished for.

In the concluding episode, Lin Nan Sheng commemorates everybody:

- he had the Hairstyle of Gu Shen-yan

- he asked for Medicine because Lan Xin-jie always nags him to take his Medicine

- he asked someone to buy him a Ballpen. That was to commemorate his Best Friend, Guo Jiu-ming.  He also calls himself - Teacher Guo

- he plays the Piano to commemorate Zhu Yi-zhen

- he wears the dress that Ji Zhong Yuan always wears

and lastly, before he left for Shanghai, he hears Zhu Yi-zhen's voice and turns back one last time.  Of course he didn't hear her Voice.  But to just remember her before he moves on.

I never like "Open Endings".  I believe a good Story-Telling  should have an Impactful Opening and Ending.  All ends nicely tied up and explained.  Of course in between we also need a good Pace, Plot, Actings.

11 hours ago, Dian said:

For me is when i searched his profile because i'm a fan of daomubiji, so when i heard that they will make a new adaptation called Reunion the sound of Providence, i start to find info about him as the main lead.

I absolutely enjoyed him in Chong Qi. He was so natural there, so much so that he became Wu Xie.

Sadly, here in The Rebel though, his performance felt studied to me.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:44 PM, hush puppy said:

We, who are born in peaceful times, cannot fully comprehend the feelings and reactions of the people from that era.  The older generations would have a better understanding of this drama.

BTW the Douban Score just came out and it is 8.4

I tried but I just couldn't, unfortunately. With the characters as well as with the plot. I dropped the show midway through it. The hypocrisy. The Pharisaism. They bothered me. Perhaps it was like you said, that I couldn't fully comprehend their feelings and reactions.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:44 PM, hush puppy said:

"One who betray his comrade, is  more despicable than a traitor."

Yet he himself effectively did just that when he removed that accessory from the radio.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:23 PM, impoppies said:

I tried but I just couldn't, unfortunately. With the characters as well as with the plot. I dropped the show midway through it. The hypocrisy. The Pharisaism. They bothered me. Perhaps it was like you said, that I couldn't fully comprehend their feelings and reactions.

On 8/30/2021 at 10:23 PM, impoppies said:

"One who betray his comrade, is  more despicable than a traitor."

Yet he himself effectively did just that when he removed that accessory from the radio.

It is not that "The Rebel" is no good.   Obviously this Drama is not for you.  It is not the Genre you like.  Just as the "Guardian" and "Reunion: The Sound Of Providence" are not for me. I tried and give them up too.

1) For me there is no  Pharisaism at all.  This drama is filmed very closely to History.

2) "One who betray his comrade, is  more despicable than a traitor."

"Yet he himself effectively did just that when he removed that accessory from the radio."

When Lin Nan Sheng remove the accessory from Zhu Yizhen's radio, he did not Betray his Comrades.

Did his action cause any of his KMT comrades to suffer?  Like what Wang Shi-an did to CMQ?  

Did his action cause a major set-back or disaster to his organisation and country? 

If the answer is No, then he has Not betrayed his Comrades. 

CMQ was sent back to Nanjing not because LNS remove the accessory. But because of the accummulative results of a number of incidents.

LNS is saving the Life of a Fellow-Chinese Citizen, who is also doing her bit for the country too.  It is just that she is from a different Camp. When he was ill and injured, she has taken him into her home to take care of him. She could have escaped. But she turned back for him.  He is doing what he felt is right.  So how can we say he has Betrayed his Comrades? 

CPC and KMT should not be fighting each other in the first place.  They belong to the same country.  But KMT has been persecuting the CPC. Forcing them to go Underground. This is not Propaganda.  This is History and Facts. Both of them are still at Loggerheads today.

LNS has never felt right with CMQ's strategy for him to get close to ZYZ by pretending to be a Tutor. It is against his principles. He has not been honest with her once. ZYZ is where she is because of LNS. So he is returning her  favour. This way he won't owe her anything in future. In fact he agrees with ZYZ's ideals.  But CMQ is his boss and he himself is still a rookie.  New in his job.  What can he do?  If ZYZ die because of that Radio, LNS will be mentally tortured for life.

If LNS is helping a Japanese spy, an enemy to his country, who is using the Radio to send messages back to the Japanese HQ, then he has certainly Betrayed his Comrades and Country.... and even himself.

Although LNS does not always see eye-to-eye to CMQ, he does admire him. He thought he is strict and very dedicated to his job.  Until he joins the Japanese.

Right from Ep 1 LNS has always been conflicted with KMT's way of doing things. The way they tortured a young CPC boy as an example.  As a young man, he wants to do his part to serve his country.  He thought joining KMT is the correct thing to do.  But unfortunately he has to go through a long and tortuous route before he realises what he actually want and should do.

This is one of the Main Highlights of this Drama.  The Growth and Transformation of Lin Nan Sheng from a young and naive man.  To a self-assured person who knows what he wants. And he needs situations like this to help him transform. Situations which make him question his Faith and Beliefs.

What Lin Nan Sheng did is applicable to Real Life.  Because in Life we are constantly faced with situations where we have to make Decisions :

- Should I take up this job or the other one?

- Should I accept this man as my boyfriend (or that girl as my girlfriend) ?

- Should I stay in this country or emigrate?

To quote Gu Shen Yan :

"Faith should not be attached to any one particular person.  Faith should evolve from an unending journey of practice, struggles and observations - to eventually strengthen one's Resolve."

23 hours ago, hush puppy said:

How do you split up your Quotes?  Click "+" for "Multi-Quote"?

I just blocked selected sentence and then quote, the same step with the second quote. I think multi-quote worked if we make quote simultaneously and only worked if someone didn't make post after our first quote.