[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

Dragging the situation gets really annoying. There is NO obstacle to Dodal great love except themselves. JP is pretty much passive and everyone else is supporting. What's the problem?? Why can't send DS to US saying "I'll be waiting for you" and call each other everyday? Ok, I get noble idiocy but then what's in the last episodes? She's running after a random guy who resembles DS and then blocks his phone call. DS can't forget DM but has no intention to talk it out with her. Even say he believes JP words- can't he see her eyes?? And doesn't want to fight for her? Communication issue is a big one here. I also don't get that sudden lack of confidence from DM. She says she doesn't deserve him then why go after him to that hut? Because of work?? And if go there why not confess? Omg

I think it's even harder to root for DS because we're constantly shown how JP feels DM very well and immediately reacts to her. I even think now that he didn't make advances because he knows she has nothing for him. Writer is cruel

I hope DS and DM will finally talk openly soon and stop this mess. Don't like that JP has to give them advice about dating as well

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

I'm genuinely thrilled to see the Samsan Tech team together. The entire "getting the gang back together" vibe was awesome to watch. I even like Stephanie Lee now finally! :lol:

Looks like the Injae Company programmers sold out the company in some way to Morning Group, right? Like, they violated some intellectual property laws, maybe, and Do-San has figured it out already?

The Morning Group Won Du-Jeong is so funny. This actor is playing the exact same character (a sleazebag dad) in another show at the same time (Samgwang Villa). He used to play nice guys (Shopping King Louis) but now he's just typecast as a sleazebag in everything I see him in. (Thanks to "Forest of Secrets," I guess.)

• Like 7

So now that I am caught up with this drama, I am finally leaving some thoughts on this thread.

I have to say, I am so baffled at all of the people shipping DM with JP. He is such a typical second male lead, even from the very start.

I will come back to that though. I really like Suzy's character in this. Resilient. Smart. Hard working. Strong. Crafty. I also like Do San as a character. Extremely smart. Kind. Flawed. Consistent. Relatable.

In the beginning, I did not get a FL/ML arch with JP. To me that was about him finally experiencing a family dynamic with halmoni. The first episode was about he and halmoni, and then DM and her father and the choice that she and her sister made. That's it.

By the time, she gets older and we see them as adults, this is where the love story begins. Not a second before. That whole letter writing situation was a grandmother desperately wanting to help her granddaughter the only way she knew how. I have to say though, JP leaving with all of that money, after accusing halmoni of taking his money and not giving her a cent for giving him a roof over his head and food to eat just did not sit well with me. He never even gave her anything after he left. 

We start this story out with a contract. Out of guilt, JP decides to find the real DS because he felt indebted to halmoni for her help. So he finds the real DS and contracts him to pretend to be the pen pal to DM. I like that DS didn't want to do it at first, and only decided to participate after reading her letters and being curious about DM. I love that he showed up and impressed everyone for her and instantly fell for her. DS fell in love with DM that night at her sister's party and he consistently showed how much he liked her from that point out.

He offered her the chance to be Samsan Tech's CEO, despite her lack of education. He took the time to explain all of the technical items to her every time they worked on something so that she could better represent the team. He used their facial recognition software to create technology to help the visually impaired because of her grandmother's declining eyesight. He took them on a trip to the beach to further create memories knowing her situation. Even when they left to go to 2STO, he locked in a deal to keep the app going so that people like her would be able to continue using it, including the pill reader. Each episode is like another page of their love story.

JP, on the other hand was always putting himself first. Even when he decided to keep lying to DM as an adult, it was out of his guilt. When she joined Samsan Tech's team, he was brutal to them because he felt they would not succeed and didn't want DM to get her hopes up. He lied about his relationship with halmoni. But the most intriguing is how from day one he has constantly said about himself that he is NOT a nice person. I believe him. In this last episode making DS believe that he and DM were together was low. But what makes him a typical second male lead. He had THREE WHOLE YEARS to try and win DM over. Because of his relationship with halmoni he has had access to DM in ways other men do not. He Yet, he has put himself so far into the friend zone, he won't be able to climb out of it. In fact now that everything is out in the open, I get a brother/sister vibe between he and DM. When DM sat in her office crying because of the malware attack and that being the moment she and DS met again, it couldn't have been clearer that she sees him as a brother-friend. Him buying that jewelry and trying to find the right time to give it to her is just wishful thinking. 

My favorite part of the last episode was when DM found DS in the woods by his uncle's house. I love that DS was asking himself in his head why they only spent a few months together yet he couldn't forget her. I love that DM understood why she shouldn't ask for Samsan Tech to work with her company, but desperately went after their support anyway. I feel the chemistry between them. I feel the love between them. When she suffered the malware attack, DS didn't even think, he went straight there and went to work until it was fixed. That's love. Plain and simple. It may not be roses, and long walks and time travel, but that type of dependability is still love.

I hope the writer does right by them and doesn't feel pressured to appease the fan girls of the second lead. Sometimes people don't make it because the timing isn't right. DM and DS met when both of them were transitioning to conquering their dreams. This is such a common thing with young love, when you are finding yourself, figuring out who you are and becoming comfortable with that person. I think now they could make things work. If only there wasn't so much interference. I find JP suddenly after all that time deciding he wanted to be with DM to be ingenuine and convenient. He has had way more chances and opportunities than DS and he has squandered all of them. He even confessed to DM and she has not felt the need to act on it at all. I hope DM will realize how much she has grown and see more of her worthiness and just be with DS because that is who she is obviously in love with. He reminds me a lot of her father and the two of them could really do awesome things together. Let's just enjoy the end of this and not get caught up in shipping wars. 

• Like 11
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 4

For weeks and weeks, I have always been torn and truly undecided if I'm Team HJP or NDS. Both male leads are superb, have their own set of unique characters that will make you swoon. Let's say they are of equal footing, despite their backgrounds. 

But Episode 13 was the clincher for me and am 100% rooting for NDS. 

It is hard not to love and root for Han Ji Pyeong. He's an ideal man in all shapes and forms. But what made me choose Nam Do San for Dalmi? 

Love, or finding THE ONE, is not just always about finding the person with all the ideal qualities. Right timing is also important. 

Either coincidence or deliberate, it IS always about the RIGHT TIMING. (That's why sometimes you have this cliche " The One Who Got Away" because sometimes you feel like you have found the one but the timing is off, and you need to part ways for whatever reason)  

NDS is always there at the RIGHT place, at the PERFECT time for Dalmi, while HJPZ is always a little too late because he always hesitates. He can't ( or is afraid ) to acknowledge his feelings or let someone in his life. Perhaps, this is what being an orphan did to him. NDS is always one step ahead of him in the most crucial, significant situations. 

Right when things are clearer, he was ready to act on his feelings, here comes NDS again being the knight in shining armor ( ransomware attack).. 

It's all about the right timing. It could be fate. Borrowing The King Eternal Monarch's line : In fate, there is no coincidence. 

Can't blame the rest for fighting over these 2 guys, they are both awesome characters. Both deserve their happy ending.

Fate/ Destiny/ Right Timing is the clincher in this story. ( sounds cliche, but yes, it is) 

Can't believe we are down to last 2 episodes. Will be missing HJP, NDS, Halmoni, and the 2 Sans. :crymeme:

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, nubianlegalmind said:

My favorite part of the last episode was when DM found DS in the woods by his uncle's house. I love that DS was asking himself in his head why they only spent a few months together yet he couldn't forget her. I love that DM understood why she shouldn't ask for Samsan Tech to work with her company, but desperately went after their support anyway. I feel the chemistry between them. I feel the love between them. When she suffered the malware attack, DS didn't even think, he went straight there and went to work until it was fixed. That's love. Plain and simple. It may not be roses, and long walks and time travel, but that type of dependability is still love.

I find JP suddenly after all that time deciding he wanted to be with DM to be ingenuine and convenient. He has had way more chances and opportunities than DS and he has squandered all of them. He even confessed to DM and she has not felt the need to act on it at all.

So well said! I see the chemistry too. It’s not the swoony type of romance that may be portrayed in dramas, but it is love. 

And I totally agree. It’s bothered me ever since the beginning how JP only saw DM as a possible love interest after another man took interest in her. It reminds me of when you start eyeing some product you formerly did not care for just because someone else made it look good lol. 

So many people adore JP; don’t they want JP to end up with someone who loves him? I don’t recall DM ever signaling that she has even a droplet of attraction towards JP. Even after she found out about the lies, she said she was confused, but she really wasn’t confused... It’s what she said, but she never once truly wavered. 

And I don’t get it! JP is not doomed if he doesn’t get DM. Remember how DM said she couldn’t be DS’s dream? She can’t be JP’s dream, either. Viewers shouldn’t expect that his happiness depends on getting the girl. JP is more than just his one-sided love for DM. 

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1

I think I'm done with this drama - I'll only watch it for eye candy now. 

It started off good and progressed in a spiral within a spiral.

I initially avoided this drama because of Nam joohyuk's acting history + I knew I would fall for the plot setting, but I didn't expect to like his character traits (his second-lead qualities as a ML, he's not a macho kind of person, shy, dorky) at one point. Though some things he does later on, does continue to turn me off.

Kim Sunho's character started off as a brutal-mouthed RickRoll'D, nonetheless, his backstory did end up making him more appreciative and his personality became softer with closer relationships. 

I fell in the loop, joined for Suzy and emphasis on the tech/entrepreneur business plot.

Which seemed quite fresh and I appreciated it. Plot-wise, the entertainment died midway around ep 6. 

The boys are always fighting for one girl, none of the three will hold a serious heart-to-heart 'DL we need clarity' conversation without either of them running away. If DL-DS talked about their relationship's future before he left or DL-JP confessed feelings/end the friendzone; none of them would be miserable to this day.

They need clear communication. Heck, I wouldn't care if they've gone poly as long as they're not fighting.

This is one of those dramas where the cast is good enough so you let small things/issues pass, and continue watching until the plot hole grows. Many small things are piling up and I'm starting to question the 'what' and 'whys' of each character's actions. And now it's me questioning is this a good drama anymore? Weeks ago, without a doubt, I would say yes. I can't respond 'yes' anymore. I'll still be here to support some of the characters I like, however I can't expect anything + read into things too deep. 

Here's to two more episodes and then it's all over. *raises glass wine*

• Like 4

First off, there have been a number of less than civilized and toxic posts in the last couple pages, can Mod please delete them?

Unfortunately, I find ep.14 disappointing and the preview for ep.15 is even worse. Shame as the actors have been doing their jobs so well yet the writing is getting weaker and weaker. Lots of plot holes and too many convenient patches. Ji Pyeong who did NOTHING in the 3 years Do San was away suddenly decides that only now is the time to take another step ?! Even though he has never ever seen any hint of green light from Dal Mi?! Lying to and hurting DS about his relationship w DM which makes him so low, when he could have just told DS that DM needs some time alone right now?! And he even told DS in Ep.15 review “stop feeling inferior to me”!! Seriously?! In fact JP is the one filled with inferior complex on his face the instant DS reappeared in ep.13 as he knew DS’s return meant endgame for his one sided romantic pursuit. 

It is understandable that such a stereotypical character like JP is much more favored by the majority of viewers. Said this time and time again already. What makes me angry is that if this writer already had the guts to write such a unconventional ML (who is wonderful) why did she give in to the pressure from the fan girls of the 2nd ML and built up this stupid hot mess when the girl is clearly ONLY in love with 1 guy. DM came all the way to where DS was but didn’t explain to him that JP and her are not in a relationship (JP already told her what he told DS). And DS with the great redemption in ep.13 suddenly turned into a little puppy yet again  to the point that JP had to tell him to stop feeling inferior to JP (ep.15 review). OMG. DS should not need JP to tell him what to do anymore.

Since there are only 2 eps left, I will finish the drama but by this point, to me sadly this is not one of Joo Hyuk’s best project decisions. This is despite me always liking DS. And perhaps I could guess at why Joo Hyuk is so attached to this character.

p/s the shine of ep.14 was Yong San’s growth journey. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, inBinJinitrust said:

First off, there have been a number of less than civilized and toxic posts in the last couple pages, can Mod please delete them?

I second the motion.

And he even told DS in Ep.15 review “stop feeling inferior to me”!! Seriously?! In fact JP is the one filled with inferior complex on his face the instant DS reappeared in ep.13 as he knew DS’s return meant endgame for his one sided romantic pursuit. 

I hope that this is just a way to confuse viewers on how the next episodes will go. I always thought that JP is confident of everything except DM. 

I hope that the two leads reconcile/reunite on their own. 

I like Dosan, he’s a genius, he has exceptional skills, a good character, full of potential. I was rooting for him to be more confident and though it came in late, episodes 13 and 14 showed that he indeed came back wiser and stronger. It’ll be shame to have it last for only two episodes.

I’ve always believed Dalmi to be smart and strong willed, was very satisfied with the way she moved on from the letters, there’s no point lingering over it  when you have a bigger dream to chase. It will be surprising and unbelievable that she’ll be confused in the end.

The JP interference has been used too much already its getting tiring. The writer loves this character so much I wish they just made him a drama of his own. No hate here, as a casual viewer, I can totally see why everyone’s falling for him. But as a fan, I signed up for this drama for Suzy and Nam Joo Hyuk so it’s them I want to see on my screen.

DM came all the way to where DS was but didn’t explain to him that JP and her are not in a relationship (JP already told her what he told DS).

I thought I’m the only one who noticed this. Can’t believe she did not say a word about it. It’s like they have no idea what to do on the next two episodes so they just drag the whole thing.

Love Yongsan’s development. He was both humble and assertive. He apologised for what he did in the past and he did not flinch and continued asking his questions even when JP started to become his usual self again. 

Edited by Izaid08
  • Like 9

Very good episodes 13 & 14. I really enjoyed the interaction between IJ and DM, and DM with JP in episode 13. We finally saw JP's little happiness of having an adopted family who cares for him. IJ and DM seemed to be getting closer but there is still a gap between these two sisters, and we hope it will get a deserving closure in the finale episode. 

Aside from seeing the new changes and development leading to the meeting event 3 years later between the main leads, I find it interesting how the writer kept bring up DM finding DS's hands fascinating, after all, they're just hands. But if we pay close attention to the details, to DM, DS's hands are more than hands, they bring her comfort, confidence, and warmth. This insignificant detail reminds me of the song, I Want to Hold Your Hand, by the Beatles, this subtle physical interaction speaks volume about the magic in the simple act of hand-holding. Maybe, this is what the writer wanted to portray through DM's love for DS. My old soul loves this metaphor and it looks like DS will finally realize this in the next episode. 

• Like 12

15 hours ago, M Co said:

Kim Seon Ho carried the whole drama by himself. Without him (Suzy and Nam Joo Hyuk couldn't bring that much viewers other than their loyal fans)

If Seon Ho really carried the whole drama by himself then explain to me why Suzy (#1) & Joo Hyuk (#2) are always above him in Good Data and Racoi Korea.... And these DATA are way more relevant than the brand reputation ranking or than the random irrelevant polls.

Also, Suzy has +14M followers on Instagram & NJH has +13M, it's way more than KSH's. And Suzy & NJH are established TOP STARS (especially Suzy) while KSH is only a RISING STAR. I'm sure most of people watch this drama for Suzy & NJH and not just for your KSH. KSH/HJP stans are just MORE LOUD than Suzy/Dalmi & NJH/Dosan fans.

Can you just stop discrediting & disrespecting the others actors please!!! The WHOLE CAST carries this drama, not just your oppa! They all worked very hard for 8 months for this drama and they all did a really good job and are all good actors/actresses. They all deserve RESPECT, CREDIT, and PRAISE for their good work. Not just one person but ALL.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There's a lot of chatter on this forum regarding the plot holes - while I wholeheartedly agree (e.g., why didn't JP make a move in 3 years? How has the sister not seen the grandma in 3 years? Why are they still working at Sandbox? I can go on...) and that *ideally* there are no plot holes of course, I wonder if the writer spent less time addressing those plot holes because they wanted to focus more time on some of the more critical character developments - In Jae and DM working closely together, YS becoming more mature, etc. This reminds me of the big plot hole in It's Okay to Not Be Okay - nobody really knew how the crazy mom hid in plain sight, why the father did not recognize her, etc. However, my feeling was that it was intentional - because the writer wanted the audience to focus on other parts of the story. Just a thought - or it could be back to square one where the plot holes were nonintentional mistakes :)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, yourinnerstar said:

There's a lot of chatter on this forum regarding the plot holes - while I wholeheartedly agree (e.g., why didn't JP make a move in 3 years? How has the sister not seen the grandma in 3 years? Why are they still working at Sandbox? I can go on...) and that *ideally* there are no plot holes of course, I wonder if the writer spent less time addressing those plot holes because they wanted to focus more time on some of the more critical character developments - In Jae and DM working closely together, YS becoming more mature, etc. This reminds me of the big plot hole in It's Okay to Not Be Okay - nobody really knew how the crazy mom hid in plain sight, why the father did not recognize her, etc. However, my feeling was that it was intentional - because the writer wanted the audience to focus on other parts of the story. Just a thought - or it could be back to square one where the plot holes were nonintentional mistakes :)

Nah, lets call it what it is, lazy writing...To quote Nam Do San, she is on trip to nowhere without GPS.... there are plot holes on plot holes on plot holes.......its like a RickRoll'D M.C. Escher lightograph print except his painting are actually thought provoking but this is just Escher meets Picasso halfway high on Ayahuasca.......Just to make it clear, I don't care for that triangle kimbap of a love story that's been dragged out for reasons unknown for last 2 weeks.....I am talking about the technical parts....some of us signed up hoping that part would be tight on surface if not on the core.

• LOL 1