[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

On 11/10/2020 at 9:40 PM, NerdyAjumma said:

@inBinJinitrust @Firefly @UPSGirl Hi Chingus!! Yes, welcome to the nerdy ahjumma club. Hehe! I am one and also married to one for almost 10 years. It's so fun and refreshing to see some representation of our kind in the K-drama world. No more of those polish, rich, handsome, princ- charming to rescue the female lead. (Not that I mind them eye-candies, but geeky-smart is the NEW sexy in my opinion).

Hi! First time to post. Can I join too? :) Married for 13 years and though my and my husband’s personality is far from DS and DM, they kinda remind me of when we were trying to get on our own feet. I like the synergy between DS and DM, each one compensating for the other’s weakness. I admired DM for praying for a companion instead of a saviour. She is strong and smart so I hope that when they tackle the letters, they will not sacrifice the character for the drama.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

18 hours ago, JenL said:

I think DM is smart and hardworking and admirable, but for some reason she doesn't hit a chord with me as a lead. I  think she's ok, but I'm not charmed by her. I think I'm not a fan of the scenes with how she handles her family - all that bluffing. I dislike her money-hungry mother and status-snob sister, but I find it so extremely cringey when she's pretending she's doing so well around them (the first episode was fine, but after that it's constantly been like that). I understand that she wants to defend the memory of her father, but why not just avoid them, work hard and then flaunt when she's gotten somewhere? 

I think DM is pretending to do well and trying to show off in front of her mother and sister not just because of her father. She misses them, they are after all her mom, and her sister- who she used to be close with! It's like a love-hate relationship I think, where you want the other person to think you are living fine without them but at the same time trying to keep them in your life. It's stupid but I think it's realistic. Besides her grandmother, these 2 are the only family members left for her. In a way, it's like saying you guys should have chosen to be with dad and me. We as a family could have turned out just fine!

I think overall all 3 characters have some room to grow and that's why I am really enjoying the drama! I usually hate time jump, but in this drama I can see that a time jump (a well- written one please!) could serve well to let the characters develop and be a point where they can re-evaluate the relationships with each other once all the lies are exposed!

• Like 5
  • Wiggle 1

On 11/11/2020 at 5:27 AM, Izaid08 said:

Hi! First time to post. Can I join too? :) Married for 13 years and though my and my husband’s personality is far from DS and DM, they kinda remind me of when we were trying to get on our own feet. I like the synergy between DS and DM, each one compensating for the other’s weakness. I admired DM for praying for a companion instead of a saviour. She is strong and smart so I hope that when they tackle the letters, they will not sacrifice the character for the drama.

Hello there! Of course. Welcome, welcome!! :foryou:

Thank you for sharing your story. Ours is very similar too, we had to start everything on our own, and having that compatible companion to share the journey with is truly a blessing. We went through lot of sweat and tears to where we are now, and watching Start Up is somewhat nostalgic for us and very relatable. 

• Like 2

Finished watching episodes 7 and 8 and it was an emotional roller coaster. Among the many kdramas I've watched the turning point usually occurs around ep 8 wherein the leads either kiss or do something sweet. Dal Mi kissing Nam Do on ep 7 came as a surprise and sorry for saying this but I was personally disappointed. I understand the actor playing Nam Do is the lead male but I find the character he is playing a bit childish for Nam Do. Dal Mi telling her grandmother that she still likes the Nam Do from 15 years ago IMHO is just the writer's way of giving us viewers false hope that maybe just maybe Dal Mi would still end up with HJP. But don't get me wrong I'm still crossing my fingers that it will be the case. Looking forward to the next half of the drama.

• Like 3

Reason why Jipyeong is  not Dosan from 15 years ago ~ check this scene again from episode 2

EmqJ6H8VEAA4Zeu.jpg
EmqJ6mzUwAAquYp.jpgEmqJ7FxVcAArKrx?format=jpg&name=large

1) Jipyeong doesn’t even remember Dalmi’s name nor her age

2) From his own mouth, he said that the person from the letters doesn’t exist.

And from the same scene, Grandma accused Jipyeong for giving high standard benchmark to Dalmi, but Jipyeong retorted, reminding Grandma, THEY wrote those letters together

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Just want to share my 2 cents abt the questionnaires above

1. Who do think came to SandBox for revenge?

ME: Yong San

We know SAmsan Tech & Injae Co. Office is next to each other, so the guy could be from either one of the company. And the one fits the bill are Dosan, Yongsan & the twin guy from Injae Co. We know Dosan note is “To make lie becomes reality” or something along the line. So its not him, between Yongsan & the twin guy, I think its Yongsan because of the question he asked Injae in the 1st episode. What is it abt Injae that bothers him enough to look up on all the negative post on her? Injae is not a celebrity. People knows her just because she’s a successful daughter of Won Doo Joong. So he must have something against the family to make him curious enough to ask the question directly to Injae. Also him doing the “data backup” in Samsan Tech office after everyone left looks very suspicious. He seems to be doing something else

2. Who do think that person wants revenge against?

Me: Won Doo Joong

Tho Youngsan doesn’t seem to like Injae, he doesn’t seem to hate her either, so I don’t feel he holding grudges on her. But we know the stepfather is a real snake. What he offered  to Dalmi’s team could have happened to the suicide man too. And worst, WDJ probably steal the man’s idea & claim it as his own, while sending the man doing all the labour work, just like how he tried to do to Dalmi.

3. Now that Dal Mi knows the truth, who do you really think/want her to end up with?

ME: Nam Dosan

Because when Dalmi pull Dosan & kissed him passionately, it’s not because what he wrote years ago nor the the comfort he gave her during her puberty years, but it was the present Dalmi with her present overwhelmed feelings for  the present  Dosan & his genuine protective reaction against her stepfather’s insults to her. Because he can’t bare the stepfather belittling & hurt Dalmi, the normally calm Dosan lost his temper & willingly forgo a business deal. This real Dosan, not the Dosan from the letter nor Jipyeong. Yes, Jipyeong advised Dalmi to record their meeting, but its just what he should do regardless it was Dalmi or any other person he mentor. Once he sign up as mentor that is the responsibility to his  mantee. Again what he did is not out of love but out of responsibility 

Also after the kiss, Dosan once again asked Dalmi, why she likes him. This time her answer is ONLY because of HIS HANDS. This implies she has already moves on from the letters. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, wildcherry said:

That being said I wonder how you would feel given in Dalmi’s shoe once she finds out the author of the letters isn’t the person she thinks, that her private letters were read by many people? If I were in her shoe, I probably explode...to both Jipyeong & Dosan. I’ll probably get mad at Grandma too but I can understand her concern to her granddaughter but these 2 guys...one continues to lie after 15 years & shared her letters with some strangers he just met, the other continue the facade, making her look like a complete fool. No matter what their reasons are, I bet Dalmi will go ballistic at both Jipyeong & Dosan. However because the Dosan she met recently & the way he treats her, and because she has develope feelings for Dosan the man instead of just Dosan the letters, I think she will  forgive them eventually 

interesting question. Actually i couldn’t imagine being in DM’s shoe because i never had that kind of memories/similar experience before. But one thing i am sure about myself is... i enjoy looking at people who lie to me and knowing that they are trying hard to lie. I will pretent that i believe them.. while laughing my RickRoll'D off in my mind. So, if i am DM, i will just pretend that i didn’t know about it... and keep on playing in their games, let them treat me like a princess and make them worry about the secret 2-3 times.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, wildcherry said:

Somehow I started to feel the one with revenge is Yongsan. His ‘data back up’ seems kinda suspicious. I dunno but why did they highlight it in ep 8? And he seems to be doing something else. Could he be in Dosan’s team but his target is the director? 

I agree with this. I think the data back up scene was a clear hint that writer trying to show. Just like how she did in “while you were sleeping”. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m baffled by how much hate Nam Do San gets. I don’t know if I’m watching the same show as others who describe Do San as a opportunist, manipulator and a girl/ grandma stealer.

Just because you prefer Ji Pyeong doesn’t mean you have to put down the other lead and make him evil. Both leads are amazing human beings and both would do everything for DM. 

First of all, if Ji Pyeong told DM from the start that he was her penpal I’m sure DM wouldn’t even glance at real Do San because Ji Pyeng was everything she wanted and dreamed of. He was her first love and she would fall in love with him even deeper once they get to know each other in person.

But this isn’t the case. Sadly, JP wasn’t prepared to reveal his true self to DM when he had the chance. And that’s why everyone is in this mess.

This drama isn’t about “who deserves a girl more”, it’s about a missed chance and opportunity to act. 

I’m actually looking forward to more DM/JP interaction. It looks like she’ll cut ties with DS once she confirms her suspicion about the letters, so I hope we’ll have more scenes with her and JP. She needs to interact with JP and get to know him better,  it’s the only way she can evaluate her feelings towards both men. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, maximusprime said:

Wish I had known who the two leads were before going into this drama, the I wouldn't have had hope for HJP, I can't really enjoy this drama anymore because I know now it won't end with my man HJP. This is why I hate love triangle dramas! So disappointed 

I think Jipyeong is a great character. He is one part who created the story. He doesn't have to be in a romantic relationship with Dalmi to make her adores him. And honestly with his status & wealth he can meet many great girls any time of the day. What he truly needs now is not a lover but a family. A grandmother who would nag him & worries abt him at the same time, and a kid sister who banters with him & drives off the wall with her antiques. Also rivalry between brothers. Family members who will make his dull life more colourful, also family who would have his back, even if the world turns against him.

Btw this person has a point 

Dosan is probably drunk, and Dalmi sitting in front of him is just his drunken state illustrations.  Look at Dal-Mi's attire. Wasn't it how she was dressed when Dosan first  met her at the networking party? Dressed formally in the new outfit Grandma bought her, with her hair pinned up neatly, while Dosan was still wearing the yellow shirt he wore at the beach. Dalmi was wearing a yellowish knitted sweater with her hair tied up in ponytail hair, & not wearing the dress Grandma bought her. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aisling said:

I’m baffled by how much hate Nam Do San gets. I don’t know if I’m watching the same show as others who describe Do San as a opportunist, manipulator and a girl/ grandma stealer.

Just because you prefer Ji Pyeong doesn’t mean you have to put down the other lead and make him evil. Both leads are amazing human beings and both would do everything for DM. 

First of all, if Ji Pyeong told DM from the start that he was her penpal I’m sure DM wouldn’t even glance at real Do San because Ji Pyeng was everything she wanted and dreamed of. He was her first love and she would fall in love with him even deeper once they get to know each other in person.

But this isn’t the case. Sadly, JP wasn’t prepared to reveal his true self to DM when he had the chance. And that’s why everyone is in this mess.

This drama isn’t about “who deserves a girl more”, it’s about a missed chance and opportunity to act. 

I’m actually looking forward to more DM/JP interaction. It looks like she’ll cut ties with DS once she confirms her suspicion about the letters, so I hope we’ll have more scenes with her and JP. She needs to interact with JP and get to know him better,  it’s the only way she can evaluate her feelings towards both men. 

High five. It ruins the watching experience for me to be honest. I get it, they love JP.  While I like his character, putting him on a pedestal really irks me to no end. He isn't perfect and stop making excuses for him as if he has the right to be a prick towards people whom he thinks is beneath him.  He harshly shreds Dosan to pieces whenever he gets the chance. And all these mentoring stuff? All because he is beginning to feel something for Dalmi. Now taking the grandma out of the equation, he will probably just think of her like some CEO wannabe with no prospects like how he sees Dosan and wouldn't even try to have anything to do with her.  That's the tea.  Ship Dalmi with him all you want, hype him up.. whatever floats your boat but please leave Dosan alone.  Rant over.

Anyway, it's friday here, can't wait for tomorrow.  Start up day.  Yaaayyyy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today is the day! I really hope everything will be revealed today and Dalmi will make her choice so that we can stop with this shipping thing. After that we can concentrate on the beauty of the story. After today's episode there will be 7 more to go. We need to find out who wants the revenge, what kind of revenge, how they found out about the revenge, who is the girl on the swing, grandma's blindness, how samsan tech overcome all challenges and become successful, may be even reconciliation between dalmi, in jae, her mom and grandma. And also not to forget who is Alex? Personally i think Dalmi will choose Dosan today or tomorrow and makes it clear to everyone where jipyeong stands... hopefully starting next week the drama will focus more on the challenges of a start up company.

• Like 3