[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

8 hours ago, Madrama said:

I am a NJH fan but I have major second lead syndrome. Kim Seon ho is amazing in the drama. Plus Suzy and NJH don’t have chemistry and their attraction seems baseless. I like this drama but I’m more taken by Kim Seon ho and grandma 

Nado... I am looking forward bromance of Do San and Ji Pyung, well their chemy is awesome!

Now i was full of who is the "revenge man"? And who is actually the target..

• Like 1

Hi all Chingus :waves:.

Just like some of you, I also surprise that this thread is so quite (since the leads are NJH and Suzy).

I didn't know the writer is PHR at the beginning but after I felt a familiar vibe (later I knew the vibe was familiar with While you were sleeping, Pinocchio, and ICHYV), I am sure it's a worth to watch drama.

I am enjoying it, enjoying the story, the acting, the characters, and the drama itself.

About the characters:

I am so happy to see Kim Sun Ho. It's harder to see him as a serious character if you use to see him as a funny member in 2D1N every week (you know what I mean :lol:). But for me Nam Da Reum as a young HJP help me to see it better. Suzy as Seo Dal Mi is so fresh here. NJH suits NDS really well. I never imagined Kang Ha Na plays really well as a 'vilain' (if we can use this word). Her joyful personality (at least that what I saw in Running Man or her radio show) or serious character in DS60Day.

But what makes me happier is seeing Kim Joo Hun as SDM's Dad. We saw him everywhere this year, 4 drama!

About the story, I don't think In Jae choose her mom because money in the first place, because it's not like her mom had a lot of money or had a relationship with Mr.Won yet. She love(d) her dad, at least she also tried to convinced her mom to support Dad. Those poor girls didn't have a choice. I think In Jae chose first and SDM didn't want her dad live by himself.

About SDM, for now, I am not shipping her with anyone yet (NDS or HJP), just enjoy it.

But I am really surprised  seeing the 'war zone' in Start-Up page in Asia*wiki :D.

Anyway, I hope this thread will be busier.

Can't wait to read your opinion and analysis :smile:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, ayamom said:

Just like some of you, I also surprise that this thread is so quite (since the leads are NJH and Suzy).

About SDM, for now, I am not shipping her with anyone yet (NDS or HJP), just enjoy it.

But I am really surprised  seeing the 'war zone' in Start-Up page in Asia*wiki :D.

Hi, I don't know about NJH but from what I know, most of Suzy fans have never or very little been active here, and that's partly because she has always been disliked, disrespected or overlooked on this forum, so they don't come here. And most of her fans are mostly only active on Twitter and Insta, although both of these social networks can be toxic, at least we can sort out the people we are following and block the negative or toxic people.

I'm shipping Seo Dalmi only with herself :lol: #TeamDalmi and also with her halmeoni #TeamHalmeoni :D

I just checked the Asianwiki page for the first time in quite a while and wow I didn't know people were so active here:o

I wish people would stop being too focus on the love triangle, tho. This drama is more than just "love triangle"...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 11/2/2020 at 12:21 PM, didi31 said:

I wish people would stop being too focus on the love triangle, tho. This drama is more than just "love triangle"...

This.  When they first implied that Ji Pyeong is into Dalmi, I thought yikes, I can see a shipping war in the horizon.  Lol But  I stopped shipping Dalmi with anyone romantically just because her dynamics with everyone is much more interesting to see.  Unless Ji Pyeong or Do San comes clean with her, I am not rooting for anyone romantically at this point.  I really think that there is no second or main lead anymore, all of them are being tempered in the same footing, everyone is fair game.  Even the grandma (she even got the real Do San involved in a brand new lie now, I get where she's coming from but the problem with lying is it just piles up until the consequences becomes too much of a heartbreak).  So, yeah.  The main focus of the drama I believe is growth and being responsible with the results of your decisions.  You cannot regret it but you will wish at some point that the consequences of your decisions were different than you imagined. 

But how cute is Do San though, imagine hijacking a ransomware singlehandedly? So effing cool. Knitting stuff to give as gifts?  Such a sweetie cutie patootie.  I would put him in my pocket lolz.  You lot can have JiPyeong,  I'll be taking Dosan home with me. :tounge_xd:  Seriously, all this kid needs is a push, as what the parents been saying, all he needs is motivation then it will be all game over.  In as much as I want Dalmi to be that push, I want him to realize his own potential and eventually see what his hands are really capable of. 

And Jipyeong, there is a budding relationship in his midst, which I hope he embraces for his sake. No, not romantic but a chance to be a part of a family as it is lonely to be alone talking to a volleyball (hah castaway reference), I mean, an AI machine. Lol At least this machine actually talks back and learns the more he interacts with it, but still, I would choose a live breathing human as a companion any day of the week including Sundays. Now he has all the Sans,  Dalmi and Halmoni he can consider as family. Now only if he stops the nagging hah. Well he won’t be the terror mentor, hell’s kitchen for nothing. I am curious how he would navigate his burgeoning feelings with Dalmi though, since he is used to deal with people with his head and not his heart.  

and In Jae, I see her tearing thru walls like a wrecking ball, determining to win but at what expense? She might end up  with all she wants but it won’t guarantee love and happiness she is desperately craving.

The revenge guy could be someone harboring ill will at the sisters since he stops both at their respective companies. Gosh I hope this wouldn’t be another messy plot or a cliche or worse,  a loose end that won’t get tied up in the end. I have enough of having to suspend disbelief so please get this and all the lies over with as soon possible, thank you.:please:

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ayamom said:

About the story, I don't think In Jae choose her mom because money in the first place, because it's not like her mom had a lot of money or had a relationship with Mr.Won yet. She love(d) her dad, at least she also tried to convinced her mom to support Dad. Those poor girls didn't have a choice. I think In Jae chose first and SDM didn't want her dad live by himself.

Agree on this. And it can also be the other way around, Dalmi choose Dad first, so Injae choose Mom, so both their parents will have each child. What started their war was when Mom got married to a rich man & Injae started to feel comfortable with all the wealth. She might not agree of her mother’s marriage but for her to look down on their father made it unforgivable for Dalmi. And what’s more pathetic is now using her father’s goodwill to her advantage when she was in no part at all in helping Dad during his down times...and now sha is jealous that Dalmi seems to make the better choice after all, after overhearing that their dad inspired Sandbox 

• Like 3

Still playing catch up on the episodes here but decided to join in on commenting because the drama is interesting and I'm super enjoying it. 

I'm actually really enjoying the interactions between grandma and Han Ji Pyeong. The childhood story of grandma helping him and him becoming someone successful despite being an orphan is very touching. Grandma's character is so kind and also entertaining. I really love these types of grandma characters in kdramas. It just sends me such a warm feeling. And also Han Ji Pyeong and Nam Do San interactions cracks me up too. Although Han Ji Pyeong is the second lead, I enjoy watching his story unfold and his character development. I think he's like a porcupine that may be a bit spikey emotional but is actually a softie on the inside. He really needs friends and family and not be alone. Of everyone's story, his story is actually most interesting to me.

And I do suffer a bit from second lead syndrome. I get that people are saying he's the second lead so he's not going to get the girl. Although that is most likely true, I kind of want to see the drama break away from that expectation. I'm enjoying every character's development but a part of me wants to see Seo Dal Mi and Nam Do San succeed together but then also grow out of their superficial interest in each other. I think that would be more interesting to watch. So far, they don't have a firm foundation for relationship yet. Unless that changes for the better later on, I wouldn't mind if they don't end up together. It would be nice to see them both grow and succeed together but I'm pretty indifferent towards them being together. 

Since the writer has written two of my favorite dramas, I'll enjoy watching and see what happens.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

For me, this Drama is mostly about family. Entrepreneurship and love story comes second. It feels to me that the main leads are actually Dal Mi and In Jae with the focus on who made the right choice. This drama even starts with confrontation between the two sisters. A side from the sister's relationship, we also got to see development for grandma - granddaughter , parents - child, step parents - step child, ex mother in law - Daughter in law relationship. we even got kinda foster parent - foster child relationship with Grandma and JP. That's a lot of family stuff.... DM-DS-JP relationships tied those 3 elements together.

This is way I see the dynamic between DM-DS-JP. Initially, DM attracted to DS because of the fake DS persona created by Grandma and JP. With time, the real DS persona starts to move her. The first one might be "follow your dreams" that prompted DM to quit her job. followed by "the hands". how he select her as the CEO despite being inferior to her sister, experience wise. the latest one is "Tarzan love" almost like 1 thing per episode. probably by the end of it, it's the real DS that she's attracted to, not the fake persona anymore.

For DS, at first, he just want to help somebody, because it's his trait to help someone. somehow he fell for DM when they first met. He makes it very clear that he loves her and knows that the person DM loves is not him. he got inferiority complex because of that, but still try his best to impress her and makes her love him for who he is. He tried to 'debug' fake DS persona, but cant do it because of grandma.

JP does not like to owe anyone anything, so he tries to pay the debt to grandma as best as he can. for him, helping DM is just a way for him to pay the debt. This however changed when he learns that DM was unable to finish her collage partly due to him. I think at this point, he wants to help DM, because of DM. Not because of grandma anymore. Maybe at this point he started to develop feelings for her, but he still does not realize it. He might be the second lead because he missed a few chances to be with DM, due to not realizing his feelings early. he still is, until now in the story. Maybe he realize it in the next episode.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 3

A bit late to the current episodes... but this is a good read! :issohappy:

https://www.kdramapal.com/start-up-episode-1-suzy-childhood-memories/

I’m really into the competitive conflict between the sisters, the bond between Ji-pyeong and halmeoni, and the confusion around Nam Do-san.

Start-Up-Episode-1-Suzy-and-her-childhoo

Edited by kimchi_eonnie
Forgot to include the web source
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Msgreentea said:

Still playing catch up on the episodes here but decided to join in on commenting because the drama is interesting and I'm super enjoying it. 

I'm actually really enjoying the interactions between grandma and Han Ji Pyeong. The childhood story of grandma helping him and him becoming someone successful despite being an orphan is very touching. Grandma's character is so kind and also entertaining. I really love these types of grandma characters in kdramas. It just sends me such a warm feeling. And also Han Ji Pyeong and Nam Do San interactions cracks me up too. Although Han Ji Pyeong is the second lead, I enjoy watching his story unfold and his character development. I think he's like a porcupine that may be a bit spikey emotional but is actually a softie on the inside. He really needs friends and family and not be alone. Of everyone's story, his story is actually most interesting to me.

And I do suffer a bit from second lead syndrome. I get that people are saying he's the second lead so he's not going to get the girl. Although that is most likely true, I kind of want to see the drama break away from that expectation. I'm enjoying every character's development but a part of me wants to see Seo Dal Mi and Nam Do San succeed together but then also grow out of their superficial interest in each other. I think that would be more interesting to watch. So far, they don't have a firm foundation for relationship yet. Unless that changes for the better later on, I wouldn't mind if they don't end up together. It would be nice to see them both grow and succeed together but I'm pretty indifferent towards them being together. 

Since the writer has written two of my favorite dramas, I'll enjoy watching and see what happens.  

I agree with every single word. Out of curiosity, which are the two dramas. This is my first K-drama from this writer. I am thinking of watching Page Turner this weekend

• Like 2

Hi! Just dropping by to say that I am really enjoying this drama. :) 

I'm really not a fan of the lie and I wished DS had told DM the truth last episode but I guess they have to maintain it for now for drama purposes :sweatingbullets:

I really like JY's character and I root for him to find his own happiness but I can't help but root for DS too, especially with his very nerdy, dorky, and kind nature (coding and knitting as his interests --- c'mon who doesn't find that adorable). And I find DS's parents adorable, too! It would be nice if they would meet DM and treat her like their own daughter :D

Of course I love the SamSan gang, too. It's also interesting how Sa Ha would eventually fit in the mix.

I began to empathize with IJ but her recent antics made me dislike her again. Can't wait for Saturday!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Binal Doshi said:

I agree with every single word. Out of curiosity, which are the two dramas. This is my first K-drama from this writer. I am thinking of watching Page Turner this weekend

I've watched Pinocchio and I can Hear Your Voice. I noticed a trend that there is a childhood story in these dramas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Msgreentea said:

I've watched Pinocchio and I can Hear Your Voice. I noticed a trend that there is a childhood story in these dramas. 

Oh, cool. Thanks. Will add them to the watchlist. I tried watching Dream High a while ago and as much as I love KSH and IU, I couldn't get into it beyond a couple of episodes.

• Like 1