[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

Watching episode 10 again, something triggered me.

If Jipyeong only got the last letter Dalmi wrote now, several months after the Networking Party, it’s completely change the real reason why Dosan attended the networking party.

Despite what Jipyeong thinks, it wasn’t because of anything he said or did that made Dosan change his mind to go to the party. And its clearer now why Jipyeong was puzzled when Dosan asked Dalmi about her music box. Its not because Jipyeong forgot about it, it’s because he never knew about it, since he never read the last letter yet. But Dosan did because he knows abt the music box & the content of the last letter. This mean Dalmi not only put the letter in the birdhouse but she also send a copy of the letter directly to Dosan’s phone. So it wasn’t because of anything Jipyeong said,did or offer but the real reason is because Dalmi sent the letter directly to him, asking & pleading him to come. So Jipyeong got it all wrong when he told Dalmi, Dosan probably went because of what he has to offer because Dosan sincerely went to the party because Dalmi, herself, personally  asked/invited him to come. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 2

I have a lot of issues with the recent episodes here. Firstly they are actually downgrading the characters here, we are getting some negative character developments here, for almost everyone. There is no reason for Ji Pyeong to be head over heels for Dal Mi, and well I do agree that Do San could be same, because well it was helping him grow.

But now it is total opposite. We are seeing him do things, with Dal Mi in his mind only, which for me is not really the correct thing. He declined the 2STO offer (which could actually help his firm grow too, and he could actually negotiate for his friends to go with him too), but he without thinking much just declined it for the sake of Dal Mi. I was kind of disappointed by it, because it is once in lifetime offer, and as I said, would even give his Samsan Tech a major boost. The least he could do was, discuss with his friends, but he rejected it. I think that's why Ji Pyeong said he is not the CEO material, because he does not think objectively.

And, then he went to meet up with this Alex dude again, only when he came to know Ji Pyeong had said that he will be the Plan B. I think Dal Mi would not mind the Plan B thing, because it was a promise Ji Pyeong had done long ago. But I don't know why, I think Dal Mi would not like it if someone from cut a deal for investment behind her back like that without discussing with her, especially if that person is Do San. If I were in Dal Mi's place, with my confidence so much down, the best thing for me would be actually being able to get investment on my own and with my own presentation. But I wouldn't want someone to help from behind like that. Because then again, the achievement would not be mine. So I am interested to see how the whole demo thing will happen. My only criticism of Do San here is that he just went for Alex, when he came to know about Ji Pyeong being the Plan B here.

Just when we were seeing Do San becoming competent and were seeing him step outside his comfort zone, because of Dal Mi, and also others (because I thought Ji Pyeong's words had some impact on him), we are now seeing him do things only with Dal Mi in mind, and for me, this is not a good development for Do San here. I would not really mind him being with Dal Mi (because we all know it will end that way), but so far this relationship was not really healthy on Do San's part in my opinion. We already saw, he was always insecure, all those lies were affecting him mentally too, and he was actually doing/saying things, which he usually firmly was against. So I really wanted the truth be out, and if they were to go out, it would be better for Do San to be original, and not be doing things just to impress Dal Mi. Which kind of did happen again, but his stance did not change yet. 

For Ji Pyeong too, the story would be much better without the love line here. But we require love triangle here. My other problem here is that In Jae is being underused like anything. She does not even look like 2nd FL here. Like I mean with so little screen time and no development, I really feel like Kang Han Na's talent is being wasted here. It is same like Familiar Wife, but at least in that she had much more screen time and involvement. But here while she could be the most interesting character, they are not really using her character well. 

Anyway, since I have crossed the 10 episode mark, I think I will finish this drama now, as long as they really don't do anything more stupid. But so far this drama has been more about Love-Triangle than the whole Start Up thing. 

• Like 6
  • Insightful 4

14 hours ago, ChunSungIm said:

well if you put this together jipyeong is sandbox for dalmi,dosan is dalmi swing

Thanks for sharing the above interesting article. I agreed with that. Both men are so important to her now.

Basically there are three key roles of 3"C" reflecting the mentor-mentee relationship - Consultant, Counselor, Cheerleader. So which role JP is playing now? I don't think he is playing the cheerleader role yet since his status is still at VC, but if given a chance, may be he will. He has crossed the border because he has fall for DM too. But It would be ideal to have both men DS and JP assist her in achieving her success.

JP, as a Mentor, is just like a lighthouse in the sea, he has the strong ability and enthusiasm for sharing his knowledge, expertise and guidelines tips (e.g. helping her to write up a sale script/pitch), and giving her honest and direct feedback. While DS is like a float board in the ocean, he is always there for her to support her and let her lean on him whenever she felt tired or sad (she needs him, not only his big hand, she needs his broad shoulder too). In our life journey, it is so hard to give up on anyone who is always there to take care and support us wholeheartedly.

Unfortunately, she has to go with her heart to pick one even though we know who she will choose in the end.

I want the trio to be happy ending, the two men turn into bromance relationship, instead of rival. I wish to see more plots on the investment progress for Samtech and Injae Company on sandbox.

The plus points for this drama, it is so funny to watch the two between Lee Chul-San and Jung Sa-Ha at the raining scene using the umbrella and the confession of love scene - those were comical. :lol:

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

@wildcherry yes, it is clear from the beginning though that DS went to the networking party purely out of his wanting to help DM. He made up his mind after reading the last letter which discussed the music box and after seeing DM’s plea in the Buy and Sell app “I’m meeting my sister today, can you come?”  In ep.2, JP also expressed his surprise that DS still came without expecting anything in return from JP, in his words “do you work for UNICEF or something, are you here to just help”

So while JP did clear up here and there about what DS did out of sincerity, it was wrong for him to say to DM that DS initially agreed to help out as Samsan Tech needed investments

• Like 11

2 hours ago, inBinJinitrust said:

So while JP did clear up here and there about what DS did out of sincerity, it was wrong for him to say to DM that DS initially agreed to help out as Samsan Tech needed investments

Yes he did clear up later on, but to a distressed Dalmi, all she hears is the first statement. Whatever comes after won’t matter because it would sound like an after thought and a consolation. 

And even the after thought statement “It may have been at first....” is completely wrong because Jipyeong knew he turn down flat Dosan’s demand to help with sandbox/investment & Dosan turn down Jipyeong’s monetary offer. And he also knows Dosan team enter Sandbox on their own effort and ability....so yeah he is wrong to say such statements to Dalmi

• Like 11

Dang... this shipping war is everywhere. even in youtube OST comment section. I start to feel like this 'love conflict' is 1 ep too long.

I really hope we got some sort of conclusion/end in the next episode so the story can start focus on other things like DM vs WIJ. Based on the preview, it looks like they are going to have a rematch. Hopefully this will be the start of story development between the sisters.

• Like 7

aww. I dont wanna say long things as matters close to heart are always hard. In life all people couldnt be winners as all has to pay & sacrifice for the things they have or want. I am just love Nam Joo Hyuk's acting. Poor boy had to cry so much during last 2 episodes. 

• Like 7

I think where start up investors are concerned the point that the show is trying to show us that they can ask the right questions but it doesn’t take much to be not personal and not aggressive and keeping it as civil as possible. No one can force them to write the cheque and a No to invest is still a No whether they say it harshly or normally. 

the problem is that many (not all) start up investors take their own reputation too seriously and think of ventures as a badge against their own name and it’s a ego trip whether they were right or wrong with their judgements. what’s worse is some even become mentors and angel investors to better their image when they are clearly here for themselves and are harsh critics rather than frank guides or sherpas.

They are trying to bring out the importance of a more humane way of dealing with people. it’s not just project proposals, demo days or feasibility studies or other fancy jargon it’s actual humans working at the end of the day. And being frank is one thing, being frank with your best friend is perfect because you both are friends are on an equal footing - it’s a friend to a friend. In a start up the footing is not equal it’s an investor talking to a newbie and the power, status, money and supposed experience/knowledge dynamic is skewed in favour of the investor. 

I don’t think they want to blame JPY per se but want to highlight the larger issue since start ups are the theme and premise of the show. I don’t think JPY is to blame either but it would be great for his character development if he picked up a more humane approach than a win loss ratio (that he quoted to the SamSan guys in the initial episodes). Like Suzys character said there are less hurting words like disappoint etc. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

In a hilarious moment where real-life fangirling was shown on-screen was when Jeong Sa-ha (Stephanie Lee) was talking to Lee Chul-san (Yoo Su-bin) and Yong-san about Dal-mi choosing between Do-san and Ji-pyeong. While Sa-ha was Team Ji-pyeong, Chul-san and Yong-san were Team Do-san.

I can’t help quoting this from an article I came across...it seems not only we have real life shipping fanwars, #teamDosan vs #teanJipyeong, they have fanwars onscreen too:P 

Saha in Team Jipyeong 

Young San & Chul San in Team Dosan

Me: YSan, CSan...hwaiting:approves:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I have a lot of issues with the recent episodes here.

Agree, I felt uncomfortable with Do San's behaviour during last episode. This boy needs someone to guide him out of this pit of insecurities that he's carving for himself. The thing is, he was insecure because his company seemed to go nowhere. Then Dal mi appeared out of the blue, someone who told him that he's great, a very pretty girl who seemed interested in him, and he got clingy to that feeling of being looked up to. But knowing he was somewhat cheating and not deserving those attentions, his insecurities got worse. And now, he starts making life-changing decisions only to help a girl he feels indebted to. He needs to take a step back from Dal Mi and find himself first. Do San needs to see that he's indeed a great guy, thoughtful and goodhearted, intelligent, and he's launching a startup who looks very promising. That is far from being a failure and he needs to understand it soon.

As for Ji Pyeong, he seems to be taking steps in the right direction. He looked for Dal Mi and told her everything, including his feelings....finally!! Much better than before. Although not sure about the offer for a plan B, isn't that going too far? Anyway that's not going to happen...

And Dal Mi, I have some issues too with all the drama about Do San lying and suddenly feeling uncapable of anything. I can't imagine ruining an important project because some letters I received when I was a teenager and someone lying to me about the letters. I get that she's down, but I hope that she overcomes her sadness and owns that Demo day presentation. The drama is selling her as competent, hard worker and business savvy...enough to land and maintain a CEO position and company stocks with no previous experience or training. Do San gave her all this because he likes her, now it's time to rise to the occasion and demonstrate that she was a good choice. She needs to do it well, if they have to go to plan B or Do San needs to go to San Francisco to save the company, it will be a mess.

Anyway, I hope these young people learn how to boost their self-esteem and be more confident. I think everything else will follow after that. :)

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

I know the end of Episode 10 angers many viewers as the plot twist seems to suggest JP is a villain in his past life, and somehow responsible for Yong San's brother's death. From the very getgo, JP is a harsh critic, he speaks his mind and provides strict criticism when it comes to business. If you recall from episodes 2-3, JP chewed out Samsan Tech guys like they're lowlifers without direction while reviewing their proposal. If it wasn't because the involvement with DM, JP wouldn't even see Samsan Tech's true potential. With his temperament, it doesn't surprise me that he might rub many start up rookie CEOs the wrong way, causing them to seek for their death due to embarrassment and/or disappointment.

I hope it's all a misunderstanding between the guys and that it won't eat JP inside for being tough, after all that is his survival skill, and he is rightfully to protect his assets. He's street smart and business savvy, but lacks empathy. The only time we get to see his "softer" side is when it comes to Grandma and DM, because one is his savior and the latter is his love interest. 

While the truth came out at the most inopportune time, and as much as I support the relationship between DM and DS, I hope to see each of them for once excel independently, and trust in their own abilities. Sometimes in life, you need to walk on that tightrope by yourself, and even if you fail, you will learn a great lesson. I don't like the metaphor of how DS is DM's wings and JP is her lighthouse because that would discredit everything DM has done in her life up until this point (sorry my feminist side is lurking), and I hope to see DM's full potential peak independently, without a safety net. As someone pointed out on this thread, for JP to provide a Plan B to DM is also stemming from his distrust in DM's ability.

As for DS, I believe he will choose to work with Alex and move to the US, this is the only way for him to grow and move out of that sheltered environment. He will survive, and possibly will learn it the hard way, but (hopefully) will be successful. 

• Like 7
  • Awesome 2

12 hours ago, Afxdy said:

that letter is like 3-4month old. DM put it in Spring, JP take it out in Aug.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Because in 15 years, that handwritten letter should have turned into powder by now, exposed to the elements.

36 minutes ago, NerdyAjumma said:

I know the end of Episode 10 angers many viewers as the plot twist seems to suggest JP is a villain in his past life, and somehow responsible for Yong San's brother's death. From the very getgo, JP is a harsh critic, he speaks his mind and provides strict criticism when it comes to business. If you recall from episodes 2-3, JP chewed out Samsan Tech guys like they're lowlifers without direction while reviewing their proposal. If it wasn't because the involvement with DM, JP wouldn't even see Samsan Tech's true potential. With his temperament, it doesn't surprise me that he might rub many start up rookie CEOs the wrong way, causing them to seek for their death due to embarrassment and/or disappointment.

Absolutely. We can see JP is a good guy at heart, but we can also see how he can be harsh and how that might negatively affect someone who may have lower self-esteem or insecurities. I like that they are being real about that.

I liked that they also added some reality to Dosan's life, too. He is a wunderkind, but he's not perfect, and that one moment of weakness tortured him for a long time and contributed to his insecurities. And his home life isn't perfect, either.

And let's face it, Awesome Grandma remains awesome, but her misguided act of kindness for her granddaughter and insistence on keeping it a secret much longer than necessary caused a lot of hurt and crying for all three people.

People mean well, but they can screw up.

No real explanation, still, for why In-Jae is a giant pill all the time, but I guess she has reasons. :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@Rollito Deprimavera a lot of things in this drama actually don't make sense to me. The whole relationship between Dal Mi and Do San was good by the looks of it, but as I said, at least it was not good one for Do San. He was always suffering, and sorry while being in it. So I think even if they do end up together, it is best for both of them that the truth was revealed. 

About Ji Pyeong's Plan B, I think well he had promised them that even before they would enter the SandBox, so for me it is a fine thing, still I am not really supporting both of them here. But then again, both Do San and Ji Pyeong are making decisions based on emotions, which kind of is not something I am liking so far. 

I actually started having problems with this drama with the whole shares distribution drama. The drama had already shown that a CEO without shares would end up getting fired or losing administrative rights to some extent, which happened to In Jae in her dad's company. But then we see Dal Mi doing the same and giving the maximum shares to Do San. From time to time, we are seeing the characters being overly emotional in making certain decisions which require to be decided without any emotions. Of course Dal Mi trusted Do San the most, but then again, in company when it will grow, there will always be conflicts, and sometimes it is the CEO who sees things which others don't. So again, for me the drama started making less sense from that point onward. 

@NerdyAjumma JI Pyeong sure is harsh, but then again that is always the nature of investors. You don't make decisions based on emotions and thinking about others, because if you do, you will end up losing money. He is harsh, but he was the only guy who told Samsan Tech guys what exactly was the problem with their Project. Even after winning the CODA competition, they couldn't land an investment, and it was because they didn't even have a proper business model there. So I don't think Ji Pyeong didn't see their true strength or potential here. They did win CODA, but still their project was not really investment worthy. 

It was Dal Mi's involvement and thinking which made them actually go for a project which could attract the investors there. And yes, even I agree that Dal Mi does have the potential to excel on her own, and that's why I even mentioned above too, that if I were Dal Mi, I would not really appreciate it when I would come to know that Do San did the deal with Alex behind my back. I would want to be trusted when it came to getting the investment. So I don't know how Dal Mi will exactly react, but I don't think she would really like it. Especially because despite her being CEO, Do San did it without discussing with her. Same could be the case with Ji Pyeong, and even though I don't really support his Plan B, but I would still be fine with this one, because he had made the promise long ago. But then again, both are not really helping Dal Mi here. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@Sleepy Owl Yes, I agree. JP is not a charity house, he is an investor with critical views. His keen assessment and evaluation for profitable businesses are what make him the best in his field. But the point is that, he gave the Samsan Tech guys his honest feedback only when they were already somewhat involved with DM. This happened after the Networking Event. Prior to their encounter, DS had sent many emails to JP's company and they were left unread/filtered out. Samsan Tech's first AI invention was not meant for consumer-based business model, to which they failed to identify, they are inventors for sole proprietary products. This is what set Alex and JP apart. Alex saw Samsan Tech's ingenuity and was blown away, he saw their potential and knew they could benefit from each other. Whether it's a partnership or employment relationship, we will see. Many tech companies outsource their intellect properties to their partners or contractor and take commission in resale value, which in my suspicion, is the case with Alex's intention. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

@Sleepy Owli think Alex was already interested in Samsan right after they won the CODA. It was actually his vote that got them in sandbox. I feel that if Dalmi had chosen him as mentor then Samsan would have already taken off but then again, we’ll have no drama to watch. :D

IMO, JP’s way of dealing with people has more to do with what he has gone through rather than his profession, he even treat grandma this way at least twice throughout this drama. He was alone his whole life so it’s understandable if he has yet to learn connecting to another person. In a sense this also makes him an underdog just like the rest of the cast. (This a story about underdogs anyways and I’m rooting for all of them). I’m still hoping for a bromance with Dosan instead of a full on rivalry.

Edited by Izaid08
  • Like 7