[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

35 minutes ago, aisling said:

Sigh. Is this really where the writer is going with Do San character???

His dream isn’t a success but a person??? I was rooting for him from the start but this episode really pissed me off. Grow some backbone for Christ’s sake! I’m so angry with his character development.

He’s going to accept Alex’s offer just because he doesn’t want to lose to JP, not because he thinks it’s a rare chance for his company to grow. This is so frustrating it hurts. I thought he was going to be strong with each episode but no, the writer just made him seem like a weakling this episode.

Is this really what Nam Joo Hyuk agreed to play?!

Lol I feel yah. In as much as I love Dosan this is like 2 steps back character development and here I am thinking that its kinda pathetic following her around (is he copying Jipyeong? He must have rubbed off on him lmao) but at least it gave me a sliver of hope that by doing that he realized that in order for them to have a stable relationship they have to start  in a clean slate. Like starting up. (Haha I know its so punny). With him as him no more lying. Plus the boy is growing on more on being confident and assertive, like how he help Dalmi evade the ancestor con artist and saving her every ounce of whatever confidence she has left from In Jae. I have a feeling that he’ll come around, realizing that while being with Dalmi can be one of his dreams, he can also have multiple dreams at the same time. That is why I think that he will still go with Alex and leave Samsan Tech in Dalmi’s hands. Not necessarily for her but to make something of himself on his own, someone that everyone he loves (including himself) can be proud of someday without the pretense.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, aisling said:

Sigh. Is this really where the writer is going with Do San character???

His dream isn’t a success but a person??? I was rooting for him from the start but this episode really pissed me off. Grow some backbone for Christ’s sake! I’m so angry with his character development.

He’s going to accept Alex’s offer just because he doesn’t want to lose to JP, not because he thinks it’s a rare chance for his company to grow. This is so frustrating it hurts. I thought he was going to be strong with each episode but no, the writer just made him seem like a weakling this episode.

Is this really what Nam Joo Hyuk agreed to play?!

I kind of disagree. I can see how everyone will perceive it that way, that he’s accepting the offer out of spite to HJP. And it’s partly is.  But I choose the frame it this way. He wants to be able to support DM and make her happy. He currently does not have a resources for that other than HJP. Well HJP said they are rivals now and he won’t be helping him anymore (not maliciously but just stating fact that he’s going to also step up and try to win DM’s heart). So NDS thought of a solution on his own to become successful and provide for DM himself without HJP’s help. It’s like he is learning to stand on his own two feet. What he was lacking in CEO quality before, he decided to take a leap and make big moves. Now his motivation may be DM, but I think this is a smart decision and will help him grow as a person as well. 

Secondly, omg I did not expect the twist in the revenge plot! Bravo for surprising me!

Lastly, I wanted to say thank you everyone for being so reasonable and fun to talk to here! I had to figure out how to log back into soompi forums because I haven’t commented in so long! But I was getting so frustrated reading the Reddit forum because it is so biased and this bias is blinding people’s viewing of this drama. It almost made me stop watching! I can’t believe some of the comments and the mods are also very biased I noticed cause the only locked comments are mostly pro NDS comments that get downvoted. Anyway I am much happier discussing here.

• Like 12
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

I really liked the first few episodes of Start Up! But maybe it's because of my second lead syndrome - my heart aches every time I keep watching. I almost dropped this drama, but had a bit hope. I honestly don't like how the writer wrote the romance of this drama - I'm definitely on the JP-SM ship. At times, I even got frustrated at DS and how he reacted.

AHHHHHHH WHY WHY WHY.

I honestly have so much to say but I can't think straight!! 

With the truth being out with no more lies..

I see that it will be a fair matchup for both jinpyeong and dosan to win dalmi heart. 

Alright right now everything is in dalmi hand to choose. 

The fanwar get out of hand last week but i saw the number of war between JP and DS fan decrease because they are on the same level of play know. First love vs current love, past vs present.

Today episode shows that she was still in confusion and dont know what to do with the truth thats why she said she lose faith with herself and got confused. 

And with the official declaration of war begin with JP and DS i can see both doing their own path to reach success. 

DS going to US so samsan tech can grow and JP making sure he was the plan B for dalmi

Oh also the revenge plot is actually reasonable why yongsan got angry and irritate with JP. 

First he was really a jerk as an investor ( like most investor especially a high profile one would do ) then i bet he also did say something really bad that crush yongsan brother hope and make him suicide. But then suddenly he easily said that he will be their plan B incase dalmi/samsan tech fail. Ofcourse yongsan will get angry especially when JP didnt even seems to remember his brother( or maybe didnt even hear the suicide but when the lady boss know i bet jp also knew about it ) i wonder what yongsan will do about it. I guess chulsan and dosan dont know about this yet but i bet it will be a shocking for both of them.

Now whats up with chulsan and sa ha hahahha what the meaning of their last interaction tho anybody with theory? Lol

• Like 4

Seems like the people dont get the message here,theres no plan b to dosan,why ? Its because its his company,with dalmi as his ceo. He doesnt want to fail the team and how much he willing to sacrifice his love just to make dalmi happy. I mean dosan gonna left to usa,he told dalmi just forget their relationship. Jipyeong just a  offering a backup plan ,not solution. While dosan redeeem his mistake by making his moves (usa) even it hurts. The analogy to makes from jipyeong side is if there a boy make a business and fail ,the father of the boy then said you can join my company,while in dosan side if we fail,we fail together but im not gonna give up either. 
well if you put this together jipyeong is sandbox for dalmi,dosan is dalmi swing

EmsXGhrUUAAckaE?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, UPSGirl said:

Lol I feel yah. In as much as I love Dosan this is like 2 steps back character development and here I am thinking that its kinda pathetic following her around (is he copying Jipyeong? He must have rubbed off on him lmao) but at least it gave me a sliver of hope that by doing that he realized that in order for them to have a stable relationship they have to start  in a clean slate. Like starting up. (Haha I know its so punny). With him as him no more lying. Plus the boy is growing on more on being confident and assertive, like how he help Dalmi evade the ancestor con artist and saving her every ounce of whatever confidence she has left from In Jae. I have a feeling that he’ll come around, realizing that while being with Dalmi can be one of his dreams, he can also have multiple dreams at the same time. That is why I think that he will still go with Alex and leave Samsan Tech in Dalmi’s hands. Not necessarily for her but to make something of himself on his own, someone that everyone he loves (including himself) can be proud of someday without the pretense.

I don't see what's so pathetic about him following her. He wanted to make sure that she's safe and doing ok because she just sat there in a daze and then didn't get on the bus. He wanted to give her some space but still make sure she doesn't get herself into any trouble. It's perplexing to me how some people are reading it as pathetic or creepy... 

• Like 8

Honestly I'm confused about the shipping war, like people fighting all over internet and arguing who's better man for DM, but can people just respect what DM wants? How can people never care about what DM feels? Its all about two boys fighting for one girl, but the girl itself is not a reward or property, she has feeling and of course we must count what she wants too. Personally I never fan of 2nd lead syndrome in drama, because mostly it's only one sided, I can't see it as romantic if the other party doesnt feel the same way

I like this drama because the topic of 'start up' (I also graduated from computer degree), some of my friend who aren't into kdrama are watching this too, but honestly they also find the love triangle is too overboard, I wish the writer would tone it down, and make it enjoyable for everyone. Sad that a lot of people starting to drop this drama because their ship isnt sailing. . 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

First he was really a jerk as an investor ( like most investor especially a high profile one would do ) then i bet he also did say something really bad that crush yongsan brother hope and make him suicide. But then suddenly he easily said that he will be their plan B incase dalmi/samsan tech fail. Ofcourse yongsan will get angry especially when JP didnt even seems to remember his brother( or maybe didnt even hear the suicide but when the lady boss know i

Lol.. Investors should be like that. He is fact check logic person. Hes drilling people to wake up.. Mmyeah I also disagree when he said he will be her plan B but that essentially betrays her trust in her own ability. 

I hate the writer change the trajectory of the story. I honestly tthought the revenge is for the Main Director. But is it Han Ji Pyeong? Was he always coldhearted. Take hints people.. he said couple of times in each episodes about start up, reality and facts. Look when he remind Dal Mi about Start Up foundation, shares, decision making, idea-investors, and pitch.

Yeah maybe its wrong for him to be personally involved. But Dalmi is personal for him so I think he is correct in some ways. 

Maybe YongSan brother who died, failed to meet expectations and take the easy way out? What if the brother used money/resources wastefully and didnt meet demands on demo day.. and then all team members blame him on everything. Several Google Start Ups event failed because they misused the resources. 

There is a story behind this. I dont think HJP is at fault. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Amat Oji said:

Same with you. I am now on eps 8, this drama more feel like familiar wife. KHN just filled in both dramas.

Exactly

Even on the mandarin forum, they are saying this drama is going off-track

Love triangle, revenge, 3 main leads rather than 4 and WIJ can even not be written into the script.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheetos123 said:

I don't see what's so pathetic about him following her. He wanted to make sure that she's safe and doing ok because she just sat there in a daze and then didn't get on the bus. He wanted to give her some space but still make sure she doesn't get herself into any trouble. It's perplexing to me how some people are reading it as pathetic or creepy... 

Now that you pointed it out..yeah I think your right. I did a second take and it did feel that he was just looking out for her. He did leave her alone after she got sober.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Do San did not cheat and he's been persecuting himself unnecessarily, he parents failed him here as he needed someone to talk to to figure it out at the time, I feel that Dalmi will help him realise that he did nothing wrong and get his confidence back. Another poster on another forum put it better so ill leave the link here if anyone is interested in their view.

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2020/11/15/start-up-on-dosans-cheating-work-in-progress/

• Like 2

Allow me to give some business perspective from a management consultant.  I am not sure who in this group works in the same field but there are some things i'd like to point out.

"First he was really a jerk as an investor ( like most investor especially a high profile one would do ) then i bet he also did say something really bad that crush yongsan brother hope and make him suicide. "

Han Ji Pyeong works in the corporate world that primarily revolves on making profit first and foremost.  He is not a jerk as an investor but protecting interests of companies and in this sense he is doing his job.  His key stakeholders are these companies and if he doesn't deliver, he is accountable to these companies.  As for YongSan's brother, we don't know the story behind his suicide yet but at the end of the day, he can always bail out of Sandbox if he can't deal with pressure.  It's sink or swim in the corporate world.  When you work for a top notch company (in this case Sandbox) competing with the creme de la creme, expectations are high and you have to meet/exceed these expectations to stay in the game/stand out otherwise you are bound to fail and eventually shipped out.  It was YongSan's brother's choice to join Sandbox but if it's not for him, then he should've left and find the right place for him.  In top firms, feedback is one of the keys to success and if you are sensitive to these constructive feedbacks these will eventually break you.  People who stick with these top firms have the personality to stay on and adapt to the company's culture.  I remember when I interviewed for my first job, the hiring manager said, you have to blend with the culture otherwise you'll be an outcast.  That said, if you don't fit in, it will be really tough.  One thing I liked about Han Ji Pyeong's character is that he doesn't sugar coat.  Remember when he brutally told NDS he doesn't have qualities of a CEO?  NDS decided to step back and have someone else fill in the gap, which is okay and a smart thing to do.  However had he been more driven, he could've also learned to be CEO but he doesn't have the will to do so and he knows he is not capable of fulfilling this role.  Instead he focused on what he does best, building software/apps.  He finds fulfillment in what he does even if he doesn't have the title of CEO.  He did the right thing.  If he took the other path, biting off more than he can chew, he was framing himself for failure and perhaps this may even lead to an unfortunate situation.

My 2 cents and this is reality from the corporate world.  

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2

The reveal that Yong-San was the "revenge" guy was a great twist.

The reveal that Ji-Pyeong was who he wanted revenge against was a greater twist.

We know JP's personality. He's been a scrapper fighting for survival for a long time, so there is a ruthless edge to him, and so this will be an opportunity for personal growth.

Wow, I do not like Stephanie Lee or her character. She was recently in another drama I watched ("When I was the Most Beautiful") and she had the same effect - like a lead balloon, she's just a clunker, as far as her acting goes.

I love both boys and want both of them happy. And although this entire fake-Dosan penpal situation is contrived, it does create a really great dilemma for Dalmi. My heart seriously skipped a beat when she saw Ji-Pyeong standing by the birdhouse holding her last letter to him. (But how does that letter stay in such great condition for 15 years in that birdhouse?)

Dalmi's mom hanging out with her mother-in-law again has got to be the most crazy development. Yet somehow, it makes sense in this show.

In-Jae, why are you such a salty witch all the time? Take that stick out of your butt, please.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

The reveal that Yong-San was the "revenge" guy was a great twist.

The reveal that Ji-Pyeong was who he wanted revenge against was a greater twist.

We know JP's personality. He's been a scrapper fighting for survival for a long time, so there is a ruthless edge to him, and so this will be an opportunity for personal growth.

Wow, I do not like Stephanie Lee or her character. She was recently in another drama I watched ("What I was the Most Beautiful") and she had the same effect - like a lead balloon, she's just a clunker, as far as her acting goes.

I love both boys and want both of them happy. And although this entire fake-Dosan penpal situation is contrived, it does create a really great dilemma for Dalmi. My heart seriously skipped a beat when she saw Ji-Pyeong standing by the birdhouse holding her last letter to him. (But how does that letter stay in such great condition for 15 years in that birdhouse?)

Dalmi's mom hanging out with her mother-in-law again has got to be the most crazy development. Yet somehow, it makes sense in this show.

In-Jae, why are you such a salty witch all the time? Take that stick out of your butt, please.

Just to clarify - the letter JP found in the birdhouse was the letter DM wrote few days before the networking party, not 15 years ago. She wrote it when she decided she was going to find DS.

I’m actually very looking forward to Grandma/Mum development because if I was Grandma I wouldn’t be so forgiving. For me the mother is a horrible person, how could she just leave her husband when he was suffering like that?

If you watched closely it was implied few times Yong San was the one with revenge agenda but I was quite shocked when they revealed he held grudge against JP (I thought it was against CEO Yoon).

• Like 2

omg I just clicked on this drama because was bored and now I'm completely hooked up :crazy:

1) what's gonna happen to Samsan tech?? Whether it's winning Demoday or failing and DS taking up Alex's offer, it looks like DS is going to silicon valley and will come back successful and rich. But does he go together with buddies, Alex mentioned just hiring him as engineer. If yes then what for Dalmi? I doubt she will leave grandma, and it's no way she can continue NoonGil enterprise without techs. Then the whole Sandbox thing is kind of useless :huh: Maybe she'll join InJae company?? BTW if Samsan tech will go to USA they'll be supposed to do other job, not their app development, right? Very curious

2) about shipping. To be honest, Han Ji Pyeong is the reason I got addicted to the show. It's the first time I see Kim Seon Ho and I absolutely love his character. He's not super handsome but soooo charming :wub: Anyway, I don't think he is passionately in love with Dalmi, can't remember any scene where he was looking at her with longing to kiss or hug; mostly I saw concern, tenderness and care. Would love if they could be together, but will be pretty happy with best friends or brother-sister relationship. Just please no heartbreaks :sweatingbullets:

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Oh also the revenge plot is actually reasonable why yongsan got angry and irritate with JP. 

First he was really a jerk as an investor ( like most investor especially a high profile one would do ) then i bet he also did say something really bad that crush yongsan brother hope and make him suicide. But then suddenly he easily said that he will be their plan B incase dalmi/samsan tech fail. Ofcourse yongsan will get angry especially when JP didnt even seems to remember his brother( or maybe didnt even hear the suicide but when the lady boss know i bet jp also knew about it ) i wonder what yongsan will do about it. I guess chulsan and dosan dont know about this yet but i bet it will be a shocking for both of them.

I believe Jipyeong can be very successful in a very young age because he is very strict with himself & more with others. And I bet many people were hurt by his sharp tongue & uncompromised views. Remember when his assistant first told him about Samsan Tech, he told him Samsan Tech is beneath their league & said the same to the 3 Sans’ faces too. I’m sure similar incident happened with Yongsan’s brother. Telling him the real scenario of his business in Jipyeong’s usual blunt & harsh way. Probably the already stressed brother got more distressed after listening to JP’s harshness, which caused him to suicide. I know Jipyeong’s sharp tongue will gets him into trouble someday. Also I think he knew someone die that day because his staff also knew abt it. It just that he didn’t know the relation between the guy & Yongsan, and mostly didn’t even know he could be the possible reason for the poor guy to kill himself. But whatever it was despite his sharp words, I’m sure Jipyeong has no ill intent, just like when he offered Plan B to Dalmi if she failed to get an investor on the the Demo Day.

Abot Alex job offer for Dosan, I don’t think Dosan needs to accept Alex’s offer to work for his company. His options is IF Dalmi failed to convince an investor on the Demo day, then instead of taking up on JP’s Plan B, Dosan will  go & work for Alex, to get the money to run Samsan Tech. After all he is still the major shareholder of Samsan Tech. But again the word if Dalmi FAILED, which I doubt. I think Dalmi will present very well & their product wins over Injae’s (DS already got the solution & DM never gets to brag to Injae abt it). And my bet instead of hiring Dosan as his developer, Dalmi manage to convince Alex will invest in Samsan Tech.

I also think the time jump probably happened in the last episode just like it was in DH & WYAS, may be in 2nd last episode if they want to focus more on current year. 
note: In DH there’s a 10 years  time jump because their story were abt high school students, so they wanted to show what happened to these students as adults.

In WYAS there’s only  1 year time jump & it was just a couple or so minutes towards the ending, also the main couple never separated during the time jump period 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chickfactor said:

(But how does that letter stay in such great condition for 15 years in that birdhouse?)

that letter is like 3-4month old. DM put it in Spring, JP take it out in Aug.

For Yong San grudge against JP, it happened because of his perception of the incident, not because of the actual truth. It does not matter JP is right or wrong, if he(or anybody else) fails to change Yong San perception, Yong San will always treat him as a killer. Being hard headed does not help resolve the problem either.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JungRok said:

I hate the writer change the trajectory of the story. I honestly tthought the revenge is for the Main Director. But is it Han Ji Pyeong? Was he always coldhearted. Take hints people.. he said couple of times in each episodes about start up, reality and facts. Look when he remind Dal Mi about Start Up foundation, shares, decision making, idea-investors, and pitch.

But see the difference when his boss, Director Yoon relay the same points to her mantee (Injae Co) in comparison to the way Jipyeong told his mantee? What’s the point of having a mentor if he has to yell his point everytime? I remember director Yoon said once she too was in the same position as Dalmi, going around looking for investors, it wasn’t easy for her too but she still mentor in a positive way

• Thanks 2