[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

I like JP but DS is undoubtedly the right one for DM. They are like minded and complement each other’s weaknesses. More importantly,  in love, honesty is crucial. DS has always been honest with his feelings from the very start. Hence he broke the promise with JP and acted “very much not like himself” by racing back to give DM his number that can be reached 24/7. My ahjumma heart fluttered much when he explained machine learning to DM, when he knitted the RGB sponges for grandma, when he came up with the idea of  using his image recognition tool to develop an app for the visually impaired :heart: this geeky, introverted, kind and sweet boy is totally a heart winner

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I want to steer away from the shipping wars. I’ve already experienced this once when I watched Dream High back in 2011 (the same writer as Start-Up with Suzy as FL). It honestly drove me crazy because the writer withheld the truth about who Suzy liked until a penultimate episode! 

I don’t know if the writer is going the same route here but it looks like it. I don’t know if Dal Mi’s feelings for DS are genuine since she doesn’t know the truth and I won’t blame her if she decides to cut ties with both leads. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, UPSGirl said:

Yep there is no shortage of good looking men in this drama.  I notice Nam Joo Hyuk also has dimples but it isn't as pronounced as Sun Ho's.  But anyway, both eye candy.  

Do you think Dalmi will dump Dosan when she finds out the truth? Is she going to get closer to Jipyeong (I personally don't see this since he is 1/3 instigator of the lie but was just curious of what you guys think) when she finds out? Discuss.

Am I the only one that thought Dalmi won’t dump Dosan just like that? Because I thought writer gave enough time for her to fall in love with Dosan. But I do think she will become closer to JP. She might be confuse with her feeling for a while, but I hope she will be professional with her job. I want samsan tech to be successful. 

I hope there is no time jump... im not ready for that. 

• Like 4

Just finished watching eps 7 & 8 and here are some random thoughts:

• I'm glad that at the end of eps 8, Dalmi (seems to) find out the truth about the letter. Enough already with those lies, she's a strong grown woman who is more than capable to face curveballs. Move on please with actual stories about start-ups. 
  • I'm also leaning towards one of the main male characters, but these shipwars and overanalysing of who's more innocent or sly than the other are annoying. The only one who's innocent is the writer, she reigns over them all. 
  • That said, I wish DS-JP relation would be more of a bromance where they help and rely on each other, instead of a fake bromance and passive-aggresive relation fueled by jealousy. 
  • I like Saha's character. I hope she would have more meaningful story development in the upcoming episodes. 
  • I'm also intrigued by Alex's character. No sight of him in eps 8. Does anyone else also have a suspicion that he's a wolf in sheep's clothing? Either way, I'm guessing he will have a pivotal role. If competition between DS-JP gets more intense, Alex could perhaps somehow help DS competing with JP, or the other way around, Alex will deceive DS and DS will somehow work together with JP to fight him and hence forcing them to reconcile afterwards. Or maybe my imagination runs too far.  
  • Samsan Tech without Chulsan would be boring.
  • I like Sand Box CEO's character. She always smiles. I like the actress since watching her in Hotel Del Luna. 
  • If the God of K-Drama could only grant happiness to one character in Start-Up, it should be Halmeoni. She supported her son who lost almost everything, she always tries to make Dalmi happy (even if it includes white lies), she went all the way to help Jipyeong even when this hard-shelled teenager refused at times, and many more kindness. Please writer-nim, write some nice stories and ending for her.

On 11/7/2020 at 2:53 PM, ryanallright said:

K-Drama “Start-Up” Actress Suzy’s Character Gets Called Out For Her “Unrealistic Fashion”

“Oh, I get it. She couldn’t buy new shoes because she went broke affording those bags, huh? Come on… Attention to detail is key to creating good K-Dramas.”

“I think it became even more noticeable because a Lady Dior bag is so iconic that it’s pretty much recognizable from miles away.”

“As soon as I saw her with those bags… I couldn’t focus anymore because everything became so unrealistic.”
“I know Suzy is the brand ambassador for Dior and all… but there is a time and place to be plugging products that are $5K expensive.”

“In general, this series doesn’t pay a lot of attention to detail. There is a scene in which they’re all using brand new 2020 phones when it’s set to be in 2016.”

LOL, korean viewers too serious. Dal-mi is broke yet she could afford expensive bags or she spent all on it :joy:

• One last point. Speaking of being unrealistic, I was amazed by how fast Samsan Tech worked on their app! Daebak! Even for big start-ups, they could spend months to develop and run beta version. They'll be as big as Google one day. Samsan Tech, fighting!
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, inBinJinitrust said:

I like JP but DS is undoubtedly the right one for DM. They are like minded and complement each other’s weaknesses. More importantly,  in love, honesty is crucial. DS has always been honest with his feelings from the very start. Hence he broke the promise with JP and acted “very much not like himself” by racing back to give DM his number that can be reached 24/7. My ahjumma heart fluttered much when he explained machine learning to DM, when he knitted the RGB sponges for grandma, when he came up with the idea of  using his image recognition tool to develop an app for the visually impaired :heart: this geeky, introverted, kind and sweet boy is totally a heart winner

Yes! Yes! I love the small sentimental gestures by DS to show his sincerity. I am in love with this character, a bit biased since I am a bit nerdy myself. lol :hooray2:

• Like 10
  • Wiggle 2

@JenL Waving hello! Great to see you here my friend and of course loves your posts! Late to the party as marathoned 1-7 in 2 days. Now at work and it was 3 am when I ended ep 7. I was tempted to watch 8 but coming into work at 9am--not a good idea. 

@rocher22 Yups LOVED Do San's goofy smile. So CUUUUUTTEEEEE.

@petra Loved your post. Yes, I wonder about Alex (he is so handsome!) I want to see more of him and I hope to see MORE of him in the upcoming episodes too. I haven't seen ep 8 yet, but glad that Dalmi sees the truth on the real writer of the letters. Our CEO YP MAY have written them but grandma gave the bulk of the content. Dalmi is so bright .

When Grandma asked which DS she liked and her comments (while the tea kettle hissed) liking the letters and then the current one in front of her she has moments of sparks then he is different from the letter. (Yup she is bright and notices details).

Like I loved how DM mentioned WHY she wanted YP as the mentor not realizing the "family" DS and YP bromance is not real as they told her. Her noting the small acts he did, she is very caring and perceptive.

I like both males and though I love the orphan YP, DS is a strong competitor. I am not invested in the wars on who should be with the FL. Yes to get the living buddha all fired up--he has that passion for DM. He is righteous and goes with the flow as he is not ruled by $$$ like DM. They want money to succeed but not that hard ambition needed as mentioned by DS dad to Alex. Even when YP harshly told him he is not CEO material, he was upset. But he had to grudgingly agree later when DM was great in her presentation and also knowing what to do in the documents and organizing their stuff. She may not have gone beyond past High School to College but she studies and makes sure to be aware. So when she got to be CEO, CS and YS mainly CS had issue due to her lack of college. BUT he had to admit she presented well, she knows stuff/trends/terms THE college trio DOESN'T have a clue ie Due Diligence.  

Grandma is my FAVE character. Love the actress and love her heart. I cannot help tear up knowing about her eyes and how softie DS realized why YP said he has a debt he cannot easily repay with money. It clicked when he met grandma. Awww. I love once you get in his circle of people, he is loyal, fierce and caring.

How about Dalmi with Sa Ha? I thought she was so charismatic to prove her point she should leave with her attitude to not work as a TEAM. YESH. YP was right you cannot be a CEO and a NICE PERSON.

Ok need to get back to work but loving this drama and glad I am almost caught up.

• Like 8
  • Wiggle 1

6 hours ago, inBinJinitrust said:

Yes this. I have one of my own Do San who is a programmer (happily married for 15 years). Very much like him. Guys like Do San who are honest, earnest, hardworking and kind man are just key to happy life. 

• Like 12
  • Love 2

@Firefly me too :heart: I know my DS for almost half of my life now and am also happily married  for the past 13 years. Hence the DS from the show is so real, so relatable, well written. Off topic but Joo Hyuk is perfect for the role. He works very hard which just shows in the ever improving acting. His kind look and inner nerdy self are both put to good use!

@NerdyAjumma we are both nerdy ahjummas haha

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, yoyo_icecube said:

Am I the only one that thought Dalmi won’t dump Dosan just like that? Because I thought writer gave enough time for her to fall in love with Dosan. But I do think she will become closer to JP. She might be confuse with her feeling for a while, but I hope she will be professional with her job. I want samsan tech to be successful. 

I hope there is no time jump... im not ready for that. 

Spoiler

There is this pic floating around twitter.  A filming pic. Dosan lying on Chulsan's lap seemingly drunk or something (whatever, you can't see their faces but it looks like he was heartbroken) and Dalmi is standing next to them glaring at him.  Oh well, it could be anything so...

I don't want them to break up either.  We already caught a glimpse of Dosan crying, he was a devastated wreck.  I can't take more heartache. That's the last thing he needs right now as his parents have already been putting him down and were never a source of support and comfort for him.  :criesariver:

@inBinJinitrust@NerdyAjumma@FireflyCan I join your club? lol  I am nerdy too, sometimes too much of a dork, but my husband isn't a Dosan, he was more of a Joon Hyung (Weightlifting Fairy) as he was more athletic but he was as hyper and handful as him. lolz

• Like 6
  • Love 3

@inBinJinitrust @Firefly @UPSGirl Hi Chingus!! Yes, welcome to the nerdy ahjumma club. Hehe! I am one and also married to one for almost 10 years. It's so fun and refreshing to see some representation of our kind in the K-drama world. No more of those polish, rich, handsome, princ- charming to rescue the female lead. (Not that I mind them eye-candies, but geeky-smart is the NEW sexy in my opinion). :heart4:

Edited by NerdyAjumma
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 1

Episode 8

-The episodes seem to swing between DS dominate to JP dominate, and episode 8 was definitely a JP dominate episode. 

-I liked how the episode started with the tech guys showing just how far they still have to go before they actually understand dating...since they didn't understand the point of the flowers! :tounge_wink:

-Last episode DS was the real hero protecting DM. This episode JP was the real knight-in-shining-armour of this episode. Honestly, he rescued DM from being lost in a rural area based on being so well connected in a business sense that people knew to contact him about DM :sweatingbullets: And the fact he drove her even though she was stinky and had stepped in cow dung. It was such an MVP move. But more than the rescuing from the countryside was the fact that he told her to record the meeting with her stepfather! Such a smart move, but not unexpected given he had his workers look up the company. Of course the stepfather was going to pull a sly move and say that they assaulted him, but it was good that DM was able to one up him with JP's help. :love:

-I like that this drama has not dragged with the secrets - I liked that DS revealed to DM that Halmoni had eyesight problems. I think he knew that deep down Halmoni would not hate him for sharing this knowledge because she's just prickly like JP. Also DM was going to find out sooner or later.

-Hehehe, it was cute to see JP stuffing his mouth with the thank you meal that DM got him. The fact that it was from DM probably made it taste all the better. :love:

-Finally, we're getting closer to the reveal of the letter writer! Again, glad that this hasn't dragged on for too long and DM has pretty much figured out something is wrong by being quick-witted and recognising the handwriting. I'm nervous for both the guys once this happens though...who will she be more mad at? :bawling:

- The epilogue with the scrunchy was funny! This is the wittier humour that I like better than the more slapstick stuff (like the milk explosion). This kind of humour speaks to everyone because most people have had these petty imaginations before of flaunting something to get revenge. Haha, JP's petty actions were sooo funny. Such a meanie! What I loved was that it was like that expectations-reality meme for JP....the reality played out nothing like the expectation because DS refused to bite :joy: At least not in front of him. DS has more patience and less ego than JP, but he also has less confidence and it sucks for him also. Ahhhh...this writer torturing everyone for entertainment :tounge_wink:

4 hours ago, Nodame said:

@JenL Waving hello! Great to see you here my friend and of course loves your posts! Late to the party as marathoned 1-7 in 2 days. Now at work and it was 3 am when I ended ep 7. I was tempted to watch 4 but coming into work at 9am--not a good idea. 

Hello!! Thank you! I always enjoy reading your posts too. Hahaha you're still in time to join in the convo. I've been watching this whole time, but only just started writing down my thoughts here too. Good job catching up on 7 episodes (they are quite long too!)

:heartxoxo:

• Like 6

I have no preference between Dosan and Ji-Pyeong. They're both sweeties, and I just need everyone to be happy at the end of the show. 

I seriously died when Dosan crocheted those dish scrubbies for Grandma. (I make those, too! I use Red Heart Scrubby Sparkle yarn.)

I'm liking In-Jae's character a little more. She is obviously a huge asset to her father and he knows that, enough to cut her mother off to force In-Jae to return to his fold. There's a Korean saying, "있을떼 잘하지" (treat someone well while you still have the chance) which applies here.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, petra said:

Just finished watching eps 7 & 8 and here are some random thoughts:

• I'm glad that at the end of eps 8, Dalmi (seems to) find out the truth about the letter. Enough already with those lies, she's a strong grown women who is more than capable to face curveballs. Move on please with actual stories about start-ups. 
  • I'm also leaning towards one of the main male characters, but these shipwars and overanalysing of who's more innocent or sly than the other are annoying. The only one who's innocent is the writer, she reigns over them all. 
  • That said, I wish DS-JP relation would be more of a bromance where they help and rely on each other, instead of a fake bromance and passive-aggresive relation fueled by jealousy. 
  • I like Saha's character. I hope she would have more meaningful story development in the upcoming episodes. 
  • I'm also intrigued by Alex's character. No sight of him in eps 8. Does anyone else also have a suspicion that he's a wolf in sheep's clothing? Either way, I'm guessing he will have a pivotal role. If competition between DS-JP gets more intense, Alex could perhaps somehow help DS competing with JP, or the other way around, Alex will deceive DS and DS will somehow work together with JP to fight him and hence forcing them to reconcile afterwards. Or maybe my imagination runs too far.  
  • Samsan Tech without Chulsan would be boring.
  • I like Sand Box CEO's character. She always smiles. I like the actress since watching her in Hotel Del Luna. 
  • If the God of K-Drama could only grant happiness to one character in Start-Up, it should be Halmeoni. She supported her son who lost almost everything, she always tries to make Dalmi happy (even if it includes white lies), she went all the way to help Jipyeong even when this hard-shelled teenager refused at times, and many more kindness. Please writer-nim, write some nice stories and ending for her.
  • One last point. Speaking of being unrealistic, I was amazed by how fast Samsan Tech worked on their app! Daebak! Even for big start-ups, they could spend months to develop and run beta version. They'll be as big as Google one day. Samsan Tech, fighting!

I'm just quoting all these points because they are so so so valid and I've shared the same thoughts as you!! :love:

I don't understand why everyone works hard to baby DM to be honest. She's had heartbreak before over her parents and it sucked...but it made her stronger and secrets always come out...so she'll get hurt in the longer run from all the lies. I'm also more of a fan of the bromance between guy characters, so I find it kind of painful to watch 2 really good guys fight over a girl and act so petty around each other.

I have a lot to say about why shipping wars are pointless, but I'll save for another post. I like both DS and JP as characters - they're both interesting and well developed and I wish people would stop insulting the other character they are not 'shipping' because it's very narrow minded. The romance is only one part of the story - you need that other character to make this story more interesting and meaningful, and not some soppy mess.

I'm also feeling that there's something not quite right about Alex. He just gives off sleezy vibes. He wants to 'help' but he also has some sort of hidden motive. I wonder if he's connected to the revenge person. Or if the Sandbox CEO is connected to the revenge person - she seems to be in all the scenes with him.

I agree, I love the Sandbox CEO. She seems like a wise soul. I'm finding the older characters to be some of my favourites. Aside from her, there's also Halmoni! She makes everyone comfortable - able to break through JP's defensive walls, able to make a poor awkward DS feel comfortable and bring out his empathy to do the app project for her. To be honest, I'm more touched by Halmoni and JP's scenes than any of the romances :joy: (Also like Halmoni and DS scenes.) JP's actor joked that in episode 7 JP and DS were actually fighting over Halmoni :tounge_wink:

78Vwz13.gif

I think DM is smart and hardworking and admirable, but for some reason she doesn't hit a chord with me as a lead. I  think she's ok, but I'm not charmed by her. I think I'm not a fan of the scenes with how she handles her family - all that bluffing. I dislike her money-hungry mother and status-snob sister, but I find it so extremely cringey when she's pretending she's doing so well around them (the first episode was fine, but after that it's constantly been like that). I understand that she wants to defend the memory of her father, but why not just avoid them, work hard and then flaunt when she's gotten somewhere? Also her stubbornness and naivety around those letters....for someone smart and curious, I feel she would have waited to see who put those letters in the birdhouse. Or looked for the letter writer when he stopped writing. It doesn't make sense given her good looks, no amazing guy would have made an impression  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JenL said:

I think DM is smart and hardworking and admirable, but for some reason she doesn't hit a chord with me as a lead. I  think she's ok, but I'm not charmed by her. I think I'm not a fan of the scenes with how she handles her family - all that bluffing. I dislike her money-hungry mother and status-snob sister, but I find it so extremely cringey when she's pretending she's doing so well around them (the first episode was fine, but after that it's constantly been like that). I understand that she wants to defend the memory of her father, but why not just avoid them, work hard and then flaunt when she's gotten somewhere? Also her stubbornness and naivety around those letters....for someone smart and curious, I feel she would have waited to see who put those letters in the birdhouse. Or looked for the letter writer when he stopped writing. It doesn't make sense given her good looks, no amazing guy would have made an impression  

I totally agree with this observation.  I am not convinced she is CEO material.  Not that I am belittling her lack of college degree but college drop outs like Bill Gates, et al, are highly skilled even without a college degree and are the backbone of their companies.  They have skills related to technology unlike DM who was just plucked out of nowhere without prior technical experience to lead a technology company.  The likes of Bill Gates, et al, hire good business development team members who will drive selling services/products which is what Dalmi is doing and to some extent I see her more of a lobbyist than a CEO.  IRL development of this skill doesn't happen overnight specially if she has not had prior experience related to technology.  I must say, JP is definitely CEO material since he covers every aspect of the business.  Not necessarily as technical as DS but he knows the core of the business.  As you go up the corporate ladder, business and people skills matter more than technical skills.  But hey, I'll just enjoy the drama and pretend this can happen in the real world.  lmao.

TBH, if I were to choose between DM and IH, hands down it's IH.  I find her team more professional than DM/DS team.  Yes they have the skills but one should also conduct themselves professionally.  The scene where they hoarded goodies was cringe worthy.  Granted their clumsiness and uncouth demeanor is for comedy purposes, if this happens IRL, I don't think this would give a good impression of their company.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Tho I like the end game to be Dosan & Dalmi, I love Jipyeong character just as much. He plays a big role in all the their  3 lives~ Grandma, Dalmi & Dosan. And I really like it how his relationship with Dalmi right now, bantering like siblings. What Jipyeong truly needs now is family. He seems pretty lonely. All 3 of them spice up his lonely life

I bet we won’t bother much who’s the end game if Jipyeong doesn’t have those 2 beautiful dimples or if Dosan doesn’t look like Dior model. Just imagine one is short & stout, the other is bald & with beer belly. Then we won’t have these Team DS vs Team JP, would we? :w00t:

That being said I wonder how you would feel given in Dalmi’s shoe once she finds out the author of the letters isn’t the person she thinks, that her private letters were read by many people? If I were in her shoe, I probably explode...to both Jipyeong & Dosan. I’ll probably get mad at Grandma too but I can understand her concern to her granddaughter but these 2 guys...one continues to lie after 15 years & shared her letters with some strangers he just met, the other continue the facade, making her look like a complete fool. No matter what their reasons are, I bet Dalmi will go ballistic at both Jipyeong & Dosan. However because the Dosan she met recently & the way he treats her, and because she has develope feelings for Dosan the man instead of just Dosan the letters, I think she will  forgive them eventually 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cmoirae2 said:

The scene where they hoarded goodies was cringe worthy.  Granted their clumsiness and uncouth demeanor is for comedy purposes, if this happens IRL, I don't think this would give a good impression of their company.

I bet this scene isn’t made for just for the comedy aspect, I think this is going to be a comparison of how the Samsan boys & Dalmi, even Saha grow together as a team. Also Dalmi as a ceo, I don’t see it as a problem. Its not like they hired her for a multimillion dollars value company. Its just a start up company, which needs a thick skinned, good talker & wits . So long she’s good with basic calculations & smart enuf to understand business fundamental, she will be fine. Also although Dalmi doesn’t have a college degree, she still has a good head on her shoulder because she was accepted into top university, only to drop out after finding out Grandma sold her shop to pay for her tuition fees. So she is very smart,& a fast learner. In term of ‘negotiations’ she is even better than her sister who has college degree & experience. I think the message is that it will be  fortunate if one has an opportunity to study in university but those who don’t can be just as successful even if they have to take longer road.

5 hours ago, inBinJinitrust said:

My theory is that the revenge guy has something to do with the elder kid who lost to DS at the Maths Olympiad and was publicly embarrassed by his mother. Kind DS gave him the medal but it probably didn’t make him feel better and he likely committed suicide at the bridge 

Yeah I had a feeling too, however the one who jumped off the bridge looks old enuf to be someone’s father. Somehow I started to feel the one with revenge is Yongsan. His ‘data back up’ seems kinda suspicious. I dunno but why did they highlight it in ep 8? And he seems to be doing something else. Could he be in Dosan’s team but his target is the director? 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2