[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

14 hours ago, trust said:

HJP fans are really annoying though, always finding every moment to put him in the spotlight.. which looks forced.. And it's really spoiling the vibe of the drama.. they need to put sentiment aside.  And stop hating on NSD as if he is the culprit of all the lies told to dami.. Yes we know that he was the one who wrote the letter which was initiated by halmoni. But it didn't come from his heart. His traits are that of a clown.. why is it that when he sees that NSD really likes dami then that is when he knows he also has feelings for her?..  What i see is that he just wants to pay his debt which he ought to be doing because what he did to grandma wasn't right, despite the kindness she showed to him..

I don't dislike him.. but he isn't a saint.. so they shouldn't paint him like one..

HJP fans won't see this flaws but they will pay attention to any tiny flaws they see in nam dosan.. 

There is more to start-up than this, and we should focus more on how each character will actualise their dreams.. because all this hate is really making the show loose it's original content, no wonder the ratings droped..

And for those always saying they have second lead syndrome, we get it already!.. Can we just move on with the flow of the show?.. <_<.. it's  disgusting already!

Now that you mention it, I wonder if Jipyeong would still help Grandma and Dalmi if he doesn't owe her anything? While it is sweet and cute that he built up his career and wealth on his own, he is far from being down to earth. In fact, he is too proud to admit that he is still have to learn more about people, because from the very start, he thought the worse in them, (although I admit it became so useful when dealing with actual pricks like the step dad). His circumstances made him so closed off.  He even thought Grandma is capable of conning him with his money, thought of Dosan as a hopeless case that it's why he isn't going to invest in him, and had never intended to have anything to do with Dalmi for 15 years until she showed up on that CEO TED talk in episode 1 and eventually had a chance to reconnect with the grandma. He can be childish at times too (the urge to anger Dosan with Dalmi's scrunchie lol)  While I don't find that in anyway cute and endearing, I can understand why he is what he is.  Having to grow up without parents to nurture your emotional needs is as hard as having one but never understood you, and worse had always sought out perfection from you. So I think in that way, Jipyeong and Dosan are in the same boat.  We all know trailers are supposed to be deceiving but judging from the bits in the trailer and what we seen so far, I hope Jipyeong won't treat Dosan as a mere competition.  Because as I have said before, I can see the potential in both of them being brothers.  Imagine how hilarious and fun it will be if the trio Sans becomes a quartet.  LOL And very much like you,  I would like to see growth and development among these remarkable characters, so I hope the drama will continue to do that.

And also, I want to see In Jae's perspective.  I see her as someone who is also looking for validation.  Her mom and step father aren't exactly parent material either. I want her to interact with her grandma since they were pretty close in the beginning.  I think she could use someone by her side who will support and love her successful or not.  

And lastly how can I forget Dalmi? So plucky and earnest.  She is amazing on her own.  That is why I am rooting for her because she suffered so much loss already, and despite that she still she bravely stood behind her loved ones and what she believes in. That's is why I have this nagging feeling she's going to dump Dosan after she figures out the truth. 

• Like 5

i am loving Do San to pieces like i loved Han Yi An in school 2015. Innocent & kind Do San is way better than HJP for me. I wouldnt call Do San sly just because he pursued for his love like he means it. I love men like that versus calculative & coward man. I love HJP because of his orphaned childhood and Nam Da Reum slayed that childhood. Grown version is rather arrogant and fans of Seon Ho are really bugging me like fans of Yook Seung Jae' fans once did. Very immature. i am swooning over Nam Joo Hyuk. That close shot of his face, the body rocks all the suits & that amazing kiss scene. Thank goodness he played against close age co-star this time. It makes all the difference.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

@UPSGirl I like DS more but like you I totally understand why JP acts the way he does and I always admired how he worked all his way up to his current position. I do hope they would all be friends in the end because he does need to hang out and have fun too.

On 11/8/2020 at 1:16 AM, aisling said:

Ji Pyeong is like Jung Hwan from “Reply 1988” all over again.

He’s had million chances to go forward and win Dal Mi’s heart, but he always hesitates and ends up being too late. 

This quote from Jung Hwan says it all. Either man up and seize your chance, or end up as the second one. 

“Fate doesn’t come around at any time. At the very least, to use the term fate, it has to be a dramatic moment brought by coincidence. That’s what makes it fate. That’s why, another term for fate, is timing. If I had not been caught at any of those damn traffic lights, if any of those red lights had helped me just once, I might be standing in front of her, as if it were fate. My first love was always held back by that damn thing called timing. That damned timing. 

But fate and timing aren’t just coincidences that find you. They are miraculous moments made from numerous choices arising out of earnestness. Surrender and decision, without hesitation, that is what makes timing. He (Taek) was more ardent. And I should have been more courageous. It was not the traffic light’s fault. It was not timing. It was my many hesitations. 

– Kim Jung Hwan

Thank you for bringing this up! I was just rewatching this show and DS does resemble Taek in some ways. Except for the lies in Start Up, DS is also very clear with his feelings and I guess that just makes it more heart fluttering (at least for me, personally). Timing is indeed everything but one cannot just passively wait for it to arrive. Had JP revealed himself as DM's real penpal earlier on, I'm almost certain DM wouldn't even glance at the real NDS.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

omg they are so cute together. Was watching this video to remind me of all the "good time" they have! Hope the rivalries and jelousy between these 2 won't turn ugly! 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Yep there is no shortage of good looking men in this drama.  I notice Nam Joo Hyuk also has dimples but it isn't as pronounced as Sun Ho's.  But anyway, both eye candy.  

Do you think Dalmi will dump Dosan when she finds out the truth? Is she going to get closer to Jipyeong (I personally don't see this since he is 1/3 instigator of the lie but was just curious of what you guys think) when she finds out? Discuss.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, UPSGirl said:

Yep there is no shortage of good looking men in this drama.  I notice Nam Joo Hyuk also has dimples but it isn't as pronounced as Sun Ho's.  But anyway, both eye candy.  

Do you think Dalmi will dump Dosan when she finds out the truth? Is she going to get closer to Jipyeong (I personally don't see this since he is 1/3 instigator of the lie but was just curious of what you guys think) when she finds out? Discuss.

Yes they're both eye candy, haha. Have you guys seen School Nurse Files? NJH barely has make up there and he still looks so handsome. Anyway I'm also happy that Kim Seon Ho is getting more recognition now :) 

I think DM and DS will break up when the truth comes out. Some have mentioned a time jump so I'm not sure when it'll take place -- there are still some things that will happen: DS will be thrown out of his home, revenge that is still to be revealed (if it is indeed YS then this will affect SamSan).

We definitely have to brace ourselves for the second half of this drama :tears:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, UPSGirl said:

May be Dalmi needs time to procceed? Not just because she's disappointed at Dosan, but at everything she'd been believing for 15 years. That "My whole life has been a lie". She needs to reboot her brain and heart maybe. 

I start to get interested at Dosan and Saha's interactions. Both are tall and gorgeous, and funny together.

In other kdramas, the banter has more chemistry. Usually the main couple tend to hate each other first. For entertainment.

And yeah the other San is already attracted to her first. And seems like they're way too different tho, so I can't expect more lol.  

• Like 1

I love this drama from the very beginning. The humor, the sentiments of all characters involved, and the storyline are all well written and portrayed. What an amazing cast and refreshing plot.

I've read many discussions regarding the second lead syndrome, and frankly, I'm very tired of this argument. Don't get me wrong, I love JP too! However, I am rooting for DS and DM more, simply because these two are in sync.

Let's dissect a bit more: First case is when DS discussed with DM about his job, and his way of explaining machine learning in the most non-technical way is very clever, and she understood him right away. Because of this little interaction (but significant), DM was able to help DS find a different coding solution during the Hackathon. Another case is when In-Jae's dad insulted DM during their project meeting, DS couldn't hold back his anger and acted out of character. Not only because he likes her, but he could feel her pain. He genuinely cares for DM and even more so after learning about Grandma's health condition. From Do-San's perspective, this is all brand new for him. New information and new feelings, because up until this point, he has only known DM for a few months, but he's able to connect very well with her. 

DS by nature is a very innocent and kind hearted person, he is an introvert and inexperience in relationships. For the first time in his life he is motivated and passionate about someone. He is flawed, slow, and at times can be selfish, but he is learning and trying to protect something that matters most to him. He may be clueless about life and business, but at least he's emotionally intelligent and sympathetic.

Let's move on to JP and DM's relationship: JP indeed is a good guy, he tries to help both DM and Samsan Tech (because of Grandma and DM's sake, not DS). But he did not keep in touch with DM nor grandma for the last 15 years. If something/someone meant so much to you, you'll try your best to keep in touch with them. This is his first mistake and I'm holding him to this. His motive from the very beginning was to repay his debt, and not realizing his feelings for DM until DS made a move. Whether because out of jealousy or from his true feelings, we will see. He treats DM as a subordinance, yes, he is older and has more experience in the field, but he can be proud and lofty. For someone who's been pen-pal with DM for years, he could at least connect with her better than DS from the getgo. There should have been sparks because I believe we are all somehow connected spiritually with our loved ones. But sadly, there was none!

Hadn't JP met DM and grandma again, he can still be very arrogant and behaving like a Mr. Know-it- all. Case in point, when he first met DS, he immediately presumed Samsan Tech will fail, he didn't give them a chance! He stumbled upon their meeting with the fake investors because he, himself, was also interested in them after hearing about their CODA winning.  Samsan Tech may possibly succeed without JP's help at the Hackathon too, because Alex from the US could have been their sponsor. Who knows, the outcome might have been even better!

What I am getting out of Start-Up besides business 101, is that there are more to a relationship than physical attraction between a pretty boy + a pretty girl. The writer wants to portray a higher level of chemistry/connection between DS and DM, by showing us how much they're in sync with work, their genuine friendship, and their love and respect for each other. Granted, I wish DS had the courage to tell DM the truth before their first kiss. I can't wait to see episodes 9 & 10 and how the truth will unveil!

I hope the fans will stop whining about second lead syndrome and give some respect to the writers, producers, and the cast for their hard work and effort in putting this amazing drama for us. Please refrain from the cancel-culture and enjoy the show. We're only half way through, and anything can happen in the drama world. Cheers!

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

On 11/7/2020 at 3:53 PM, ryanallright said:

K-Drama “Start-Up” Actress Suzy’s Character Gets Called Out For Her “Unrealistic Fashion”

“Oh, I get it. She couldn’t buy new shoes because she went broke affording those bags, huh? Come on… Attention to detail is key to creating good K-Dramas.”

“I think it became even more noticeable because a Lady Dior bag is so iconic that it’s pretty much recognizable from miles away.”

“As soon as I saw her with those bags… I couldn’t focus anymore because everything became so unrealistic.”
“I know Suzy is the brand ambassador for Dior and all… but there is a time and place to be plugging products that are $5K expensive.”

“In general, this series doesn’t pay a lot of attention to detail. There is a scene in which they’re all using brand new 2020 phones when it’s set to be in 2016.”

LOL, korean viewers too serious. Dal-mi is broke yet she could afford expensive bags or she spent all on it :joy:

Ermmm....but Korea is also known as a place where you can get a good quality imitation branded items...so just imagine she’s using the imitation ones:lol:

Though, she’s not rich, she’s not exactly dirt poor. So its not that she can’t afford new shoes, but she probably feels useless having many pair of shoes when the one she has tho got some scratches, is still in fine, however meeting her sister again after many years made her conscious abt it.

And abt the phones, aren’t latest phone design the flip type? But Dalmi & the gang still used the regular sized android which were available in 2016, so I don’t see the problem there. For her compact & lipstick, as I said, she’s not dirt poor, and Lancome is still affordable for regular office worker, and she was a regular contract based office worker, before she joined Samsan Tech

These people who are too critically abt petty things probably are jealous of the Start-Up success. Afterall its been a while that a Korean drama got hyped up all over the world...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NerdyAjumma said:

I've read many discussions regarding the second lead syndrome, and frankly, I'm very tired of this argument. Don't get me wrong, I love JP too! However, I am rooting for DS and DM more, simply because these two are in sync.

Exactly!!!! Who Dalmi loves now is what matter most.

First of all as I said before, all 4 characters are equally important, which is why their backstory were being told in detail. Because I bet eventually they will all work together to be successful.

However for the love story, yes Dosan is more compatible with Dalmi & most probably will get the girl. I feel that Dosan’s character is more like Dalmi’s father. He is smart, kind, hardworking & sincere. He value good services or what he can offer to make life better than pocketing more profit for himself. I think this is why Dalmi feels comfortable & understand him better.

On the other hand Jipyeong is more similar to Injae. He’s more on money oriented, blunt, sharp tongue but has soft spot for people around him, tho he didn’t really realise it. Especially for grandma. However it wasn't enough for him to come back looking for Grandma during his years in college, also after his success. I remember Grandma telling Mom that she only sold off her shop when Dalmi enter college, which was abt 5 or 6 years after Jipyeong left for college. So there is no reason for him not to come back to Grandma if he truly care for Grandma. It was only when he met Grandma again by chance that he felt overwhelmed with gratitude that he started feeling debted to Grandma. As for Dalmi, sure after a while writing to young Dalmi, he feels comforted with her letters as he was all lonely too. But still old Dosan wasn’t him. The advice & wisdom in the letters comes from grandma, the identity belongs to Nam Dosan. Jipyeong only add in things which he didn’t feel really important like birth date and random wishes.

Seriously Dalmi’s first love is non existent. It was just a memory of a young girl infatuation over some letters. Dalmi rejected all guys who approach her not because she is “in love” with “Dosan” but because her fear for being left by people she loves. She loves her mother & sister but they left her for luxury life. She loves her father very much but he died, leaving her alone with only Grandma. Even “Dosan” left after a year but she keeps clinging to the letters & imagine Dosan is there with her. But she really falls in love for the first time when she sees Dosan stood up for her, in front of her stepfather not caring about the consequences. When she kissed him she was overwhelmed with feelings that she never felt before, and that’s when she fell in love for real. 

As for Jipyeong, hopefully he can continue to be a father/big brother figure whom Dalmi desperately needs in her life. Someone she can depend on & complain to without worries. Someone who can protect her as they would for their female siblings. And I really, really hope he & Injae can tame each other.

On 11/6/2020 at 11:05 PM, petra said:

3. I agree with you. I love this drama so far but still really don't get about the sisterhood conflict. They both made their choices when they were a kid/teenager. The teenage Injae following her mother didn't make her evil nor did the teenage Dalmi choosing dad make her more noble than Injae. I wish Injae's character didn't have to be portrayed as an antagonist. I hope her character development wouldn't turn into a total antagonist and she could show more of her vulnerability and humanist side. By the way, during that scene where Injae's data was used against Samsan algorithm, during those few suspenseful seconds, I was subconciously rooting for Injae and glad when her data won. I didn't realize it before that I was rooting for her. :lol:

Yes, they were still close when their parents first separated. It was only until their mom got remarried that they started to turn against each other. Dalmi accused her of betraying their dad for not stopping their mom getting married. And Injae in her defense told Dalmi she’s fed up with their dad’s promises & them living in poverty. It was then they both told each they gonna regret following the other parent (Dalmi for choosing Dad, Injae for choosing mom). Also deep down Injae was angry Dalmi was adamant not wanting to follow mom & her, also now she worries Dalmi was right after all for choosing to live with dad.

• Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1

Hi Everyone! 
I have been wanting to watch this drama and got busy. Literally in 2 days watched 1-7 and 3am here. I have work but I wanted to write a quick note.

Love this drama a lot!

@wildcherry & @NerdyAjumma I love both your write ups about both suitors and the female lead & the drama. Great points! 

Just quick thoughts 

- OST and cinematography is great. The visuals of the characters are wonderful . Happy to see more of the actor as HJP!!! Love him and seeing him here with his dimples! Yes! Suzy has come a long way from Dream High & killing it in this role. Enjoying NJH here too! Their chemistry & woah that kiss was amazing.

- Kang Hana is good as I feel she plays mean characters. Her it’s more tough love & fairness etc. but she keeps it real. Both sis miss each other and mom misses DM. IJ may have lived with her but she ignores her mom. Her mom called her hard work would be stolen from her. Frustrating to IJ but her mom called it.

- The orphan backstory had me teary and love that teen actor for the last few years. So touching grandma and him. When grandma said we should have met earlier I could have been your guardian etc cooked you meals and had you over for Chuseok. I was crying. Grandma rocks and HJP was just a sweetie. Granted it was luck he bumps into them again but also he was taking grandma literally if living a good life don’t come looking for me.

- Dang seeing FL dad pass (KJH is one my fave actors this year ) I was balling. Knowing the nose bleeding and I was suspicious but then fainting and shaking hand on the bus. I was thinking the worse to be proved right broke my heart. He finally gets funding offer to die and would have missed that meeting instead of the hospital visit. DM suffered so much but she is a gift to her grandma and a smart cookie. Smart cookie in life and knowledge from experience and willingness to learn. If she went and graduated from college she would be a force to be reckoned with.

- CS is one character acts as the prejudice and opinions of others. From hey she is a HS grad only how can we trust her? Our lives are on the line to her? Also her getting their final person and he has a big crush but doesn’t hurt she is good but a bit standoffish and rude. Then I trust DS but not DM as their relationship started with a lie and worries about future bugs. (He has a point about the probs with this lie persisting).

- Love the back stories in the drama from the Safe Box logo /biz idea, our merry trio first meeting in knitting class , DS awkwardness socially because he was smart, backstory DS letters to DM thanks to grandma, grandma and HJP (the kid with nowhere to go) etc.

Love this drama and 1 more episode I am up to date. So awesome & thanks for this forum to dump my thoughts for now. Sorry I didn’t read much of the prior pages at all.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2020 at 1:10 AM, kaqueski said:

- He initiate the first step of return and running to her to give his business card - to indicate a call me again anytime 24/7 (while Ji Peong insists him to cut tie with her the moment they part). He did this out of the blue - he decide to sail without knowing the destination. This is how he starts a bond with Dalmi. 

Exactly. And as many has stated, it wasn’t because of Jipyeong nor the letters that he turn up at the networking party. It was because of her words  & plead that touch his heart & made his mind to help her out. And looking at it, tho Jipyeong read all Dalmi’s letter, he never really understood nor was he bother abt the contents. Different from Dosan, he really tried to understand her contents. I.e he questioned why Dalmi would walk aimlessly in the rain when having an umbrella, & its been it his mind until he got her point...to sail without a map aka taking risk in whatever they’re doing 

On 11/8/2020 at 1:37 AM, Raynaa said:

I’m Team Nam Do San and JPY like by 51:49 percent ;) , but Yes Nam Do San was irritating in the scene at Dal MI’s house and behaved out of character completely. I don’t know if that was the intention of the episode since breaking the glass was also out of character for the resilient Buddha? Or maybe they wanna show that Dalmi brings him the passion+purpose+drive+ambition+Competitive spirit that he lacked? He gave away a gold medal but is fighting like a kid for Dal MI’s attention.

Honestly I really enjoy the scene...the rivalry between 2 guys whose head almost touched the ceiling is way too adorkable. The speechless exchange between Grandma & Dalmi are so cute. For the 2 of them who only have each other, having Dosan & Jipyeong in the house, competing with each other, really brightened up their house. Tho I’m on team DoDal bandwagon, I’ll still say this...May the best man wins:rickroll:

When watching the epilogue when Alex went over to Dosan’s house where his dad went on & on abt his frustration over Dosan non competitive nature which I think started after he overheard his competitor was scolded harshly by his mother, which was the reason he hanfnover hos medal & ever since he always gave in just to make others happy ~ now I know what is the significance of the info. The Dosan before meeting Dalmi, would have given in to Jipyeong once he realised Jipyeong has thing for Dalmi just to make the guy happy. However after meeting Dalmi, and probably because its the first time he falls in love, he’s not willing to let go, will fight for her favours no matter how childish it may seems. And I find it really sweet. And I think his competitive spirit has return after meeting Dalmi

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Episode 7

-I was amused by how JP liked answering DM's 400 questions - it was probably like being DM's pen pal again! :joy:

-I thought the awkward scenes at the house were funny - the introduction that was meant to seem close was distant and the introduction that was meant to seem distant was actually close!  But I like how Halmoni see through everyone and has the ability to make everyone feel comfortable, even an awkward soul like DS :love:

-I have to admit I was a little annoyed at DS trying to insert himself into the family because technically JP knows the family better and JP is the one who is close to Halmoni. But then I understand why DS would do it too - he needs to be there for DM, he's also meant to be the DS who is close to Halmoni and he wanted to try to get to know the family of the girl he likes. Still I was annoyed at him on JP's behalf because it is kind of his territory! :Furious:

-The scene where they came up with ideas and Yong-San was holding a dog-Bless! That little Pomeranian was so adorable. And I agree that Yong-San with glasses was cute! :love:

-I thought DS was actually pretty sweet to protect DM when they encountered her stepfather. It must take a lot to anger someone known as the living Buddha :tounge_wink: But honestly, I think the thing with DS is that he may look really logical, but he's one of those types that when they like someone, they feel very deeply for them. And he definitely seems to have a strong sense of justice - like DM, he's not greedy for money, so he would rather work for the right people than to suffer for money.

-Although I love the second lead, I thought the kiss was pretty and made sense given the moment after defending her in the office. Sunset kisses seem to be the trend - this is like the 3rd one I've seen recently. Heh, for someone who had never kissed before, DS looked like he knew what he was doing! :tounge_wink:

-Also sweet of DS was how he thought of developing the project with DM's grandma in mind. One thing I do like about DS being the lead is that it's an unusual and original character to have as male lead. And I think that's what makes some people uncomfortable (those hardcore anti-DS fans of the show) - you don't usually see geeky, introverted tech guys being the main lead. Normally they're comic relief or a side character....DS actually reflects a lot of average guys I  know rather than the dramaland CEO princes (and while I do like JP, have to admit he fits this category). He's perhaps a more realistic, no frills character, who might not doing as much saving of the girl (in fact DM sometimes saves him) but he has a natural and likeable charm too.

:heartxoxo:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1