[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

@aislingGreat points.  Me too, I cheer for all four.  The VC guy from America is coming, perhaps rivaling Jin Pyeong for Samsan.  Is there any chance he could back  In Jae instead?  A successful business must have all things in balance.  Good team work, good foresight financially, the right investment partners and as a CEO, learns to control the board as well as the creative side of the business.  

2 hours ago, UPSGirl said:

Ji Pyeong should be on Shark Tank (anybody here watches that show?). 

Also, wasn't Sun Ho lead in his previous dramas? 

Kidding aside, hands are metaphors for a person's capability and potential.  He has it, but I agree, he has to find it and tap into it.  I think he's getting there, he seemed like he's taking all these in: Ji Pyeong's TED talks as constructive criticism. 

Also I like it that he did see how Dalmi is different from her sister.  In Jae is has more acumen than Dalmi yet he chose her because she has a more receptive mindset and willing work with him than work above him.  I think in a way, In Jae is similar to Ji Pyeong, they want to be "in control" of everything, which sometimes an admirable attitude until it becomes a wall which makes it difficult to connect with people.

I know Shark Tank!  Some of those products are off the wall!  So are the pitches. :lol:

Sorry I don't follow KSH's career, l last saw him in Waikiki 2 :lol:  Love him there.

Thanks for putting the hand in context of Dosan's potential.  Well, Dalmi said it's one thing she loves about him and there you go, he offered his handshake to her; though if we remember, she was the one who took his hand first on the bus!   Both Dalmi and In Jae have the drive to succeed.  They shared this attitude from their father.  In Jae seems to be a good leader.  Her old employees followed her to the new company.  What was not good is how she responded to Dalmi's and especially Yong San's question at the Q&A.  In Jae's success is tied with her father's wealth.  This is her source of resentment toward anyone who criticize her success as something she didn't earn.   When she puts down Yong San's question, claiming indifference toward critics, it made her seems unwilling to accept constructive criticisms.  Not in her wildest dream would In Jae imagine it would affect Yong San's CEO choice.  Someone once told me to always treat those whom you meet on your way up with respect cuz you never know whom you will meet on your way down.  Do San has a good point.  A good CEO has to be willing to listen and respect others.  The 3 -sans coming from a place where very few gave them respect and many undervalued their potential so a partnership with Dal Mi was very much something they appreciate.  I really like the emphasis we get on hand, handshake, so far... it goes back to the innocence of a time when trust, honor, hope mean everything.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:18 PM, UPSGirl said:

out of the four of them, it seems like Ji Pyeong was the only one who are successful career-wise but dang he has quite a temper.  In Jae, though she had quite an easy start, is back to the drawing board.  Dal Mi, still struggling to prove herself and Do San, being held far too high on the expectations by his parents just because he's smart.

I love your brief description of why all four are at the starting line albeit for different reasons.  One thing about Do San's parents and parent expectation in general.  I come from an Asian household where our parents tried their hardest to not place different expectations on us siblings. It's not easy.  As the only son, I suspect Do San feels the responsibilities to live up to the label of a child prodigy.  I wonder if his parents chose to put too much emphasis on fostering his math talent that they abandoned other aspects of his childhood and emotional growth.  All the tutoring, competition must have affected his schooling.  Did he have a normal childhood where he played with friends the same age?  Did he get a chance to do anything other than math?  I really really love his knitting hobby and how he finds comfort in its logical patterns.  So far, it seems to me Do San defines himself through his intelligence. I suspect he considers himself a failure in his parents' eyes even without having to hear it from his dad.  His mum gets it though.  Her cheer for him before the hackathon was quite touching and overdue.  His father in time will understands the insecurities Do San harbors and hopefully, find a way to express his love for the boy.

@nrlleeYou take care.  NJH is good (I watched both Radiant and School Nurse Files, his character here is written so far so good).  Suzy is sweet, no problem with her acting.  I will update you by episode 12 LOL.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Okay I know how much the writers want us to root for the underdog Do San but I just can’t. There’s something lacking in him, maybe the emotional maturity or the lack of initiatives he takes. Just like Ji Pyeong said, he doesn’t have it in him which makes him a CEO. He’s adorable and sometimes I just want to give him a hug but that doesn’t mean that I want him to end up with the girl. Suzy isn’t really selling her character here either. I want to root for her but I can’t. In fact I’m more interested in In Jae than Dal Mi and that speaks volumes.

Ji Pyeong is my favorite character right now. Yes, halmoni is adorable too, but Ji Pyeong is so mature and those dimples though. But for real, I love Ji Pyeong so much. I want him to win the girl so hard because he’s the person she fell in love with. I know the show is trying make Ji Pyeong the first love and Do San the final love but the heartbreak Ji Pyeong will go through in the future when Dal Mi finally chooses Do San is gonna hurt me so bad I just know it.

Maybe it’s because I love Kim Sun Ho so much but I honestly love Nam Joo Hyuk too. So that argument doesn’t work. I’m not a fan of Suzy, honestly. I feel like she’s trying too much when she could just be normal. Like you don’t have to jump up and down on the stage because you were chosen as a CEO. That’s attention grabbing and I would never do that onstage where basically 360 other people can see you. That’s absurd. And she looked ridiculous too. I did like Suzy with Kim Woo Bin so it surprised me that I didn’t like her here. She sounds a lot fake to be honest.

Meanwhile Kim Sun Ho though, my God he’s amazing. I knew I was gonna fall for him in this drama but I didn’t know that it would be this soon. His denial (of liking Dal Mi) in the end of episode three and the juxtaposition with Do San just screams that Ji Pyeong is gonna lose in this love. But I’m still keeping hope. Because maybe once in a blue moon the second lead will finally get the girl. Even if it’s very rare. Or maybe give a better love story with In Jae for him. That would make it okay too.

And if the writers are gonna give an epilogue with Do San meeting Dal Mi through fate when they were younger or some RickRoll'D I’m gonna scream. I had enough fate related stuff in this drama already.

I’m sorry Nam Joo Hyuk, but this time I’m gonna go with Kim Sun Ho.

I know Ji Pyeong have so much flaws but that makes him more grounded I guess. I can be the only one having severe SLS here, I don’t mind. Heh.

p.s. When the writers honestly thought Do San even has to think to choose between Dal Mi and In Jae was ridiculous. He likes Dal Mi and so does his teammates. And he doesn’t even know In Jae so who would he choose? That was a hilariously absurd cliffhanger to me.

• Like 3

@heartoppaya hello, hello chingu!!!  It has been awhile!  

I totally agree with all your observations.  I am falling for ksh character and I admire khn character too. I find them more interesting than njh and suzy.  Njh acting sadly is subpar compared to the rest of the cast.  I liked him in wfkbj but I feel his acting is so so ... Suzy meanwhile is not convincing as a strong driven woman. Whilst she resolved the chaos at the cafe, I don't think this is sufficient to substantiate her being ceo material.  Perhaps a marketing or operations lead but not a CEO.  While having a college degree is not a prerequisite, one must have a good grasp of the business, social and intellectual maturity and vision.  It's not like you can pick a hs graduate with no experience to become a CEO.   If they had shown suzy's entrepreneurial skills at a young age, i may be convinced but 1 incident at the cafe is lame. But of course we need to take this path for the njh suzy character romance to bloom ... how convenient huh?

im rooting for ksh to win suzy and rooting for khn to succeed in business.   But as you said the second lead rarely gets the girl but perhaps this will be one of the rare times. 

• Like 3

Really enjoyed the episodes so far, therefore appeared out of my lurking.

Personally I do not really care who DM ends up with, both contenders have their own interesting narratives and I'm rooting for all of the four leads to have their own happy endings.

Narrative-wise though, it seems that everything is setup for the two main leads to end up together? Since it seems that the CEO misunderstanding is already talked about in Ep 4 and from the previews it looks like the Doo San letters will be touched upon next week. It is great that this does not appear to be the main angst in the drama.

My prediction is that the story will quickly move from the whole Doo San letters plot and misunderstandings will be resolved, and instead switch to focusing on them working together to start a company and find individual successes.. 

Acting-wise this is probably Suzy's best project to-date.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ck1995 said:

Okay another theory - but what if initially it was Injae that fell off the swing and got hurt - but since mum told her to never go on the swing, she did as she was told and it was actually dalmi that came up iwth the sand idea. Eventhough her dad went through those lengths to put the sand there Injae was obedient to mum. Then dalmi inhaving faith in the sand he put there, was confident enough to test it per ep 1. This would be consistent with Injae's memory and the ep 1 memory. This could actually be a metaphor of the decisions each one made when their parents got divorced. Since then, injae mustve regretted things alot..? 

Your theory seem legit.

My conclusion is: In-Jae on swings before sand was bought in. Dal-mi on swings after sand was bought in. The father is not biased, he loved both of them, he bought in the sand after In-Jae fell onto the concrete ground. Dal-mi's scene was shown as maybe In-Jae did not followed them to the swings.

We might have scene of Dal-mi on swings but maybe In-Jae's scene was not shown yet.

:rubchin:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, heartoppaya said:

Ji Pyeong is my favorite character right now. Yes, halmoni is adorable too, but Ji Pyeong is so mature and those dimples though. But for real, I love Ji Pyeong so much. I want him to win the girl so hard because he’s the person she fell in love with.

I was under the impression that the penpal persona was both created by the grandma and Ji Pyeong (or I'd go out on a limb here and say, 3/4 Ji Pyeong even, but the point is the penpal Do San persona is entirely conjured both out of their imagination) so the character that Dal Mi fell in love with was fairly non-existent.  Personally I don't think Ji Pyeong is killing it at the maturity department either.  In fact, he isn't better than Do San, whose thought patterns are often dictated by logic (@bedifferent makes an excellent point at that) and is emotionally impaired, I find it hilarious how he sent those girls running for the hills because all he talks about are mathematical equations.  Everything is freaking about equations, algorithms and formulas (yawn). Could be that all he does is study? which made him a dull boy, his emotional IQ lacking.  Lmao.  And Ji Pyeong? He's never had anyone to look up to for emotional support either (except for grandma but alas that was short-lived), since he never had to rely on anyone, nor wanting to be indebted at all (he said that), I can see him being detached and always on guard.  That is why he is so quick to deny his feelings, hah! He doesn't want to be vulnerable in front of others and someone who'd always want to be in control.  The fact is, there are things that he can't, i.e, keeping someone from getting hurt.  Nothing good comes from false pretenses even in the best intentions. No matter how you put it, you are still deceiving a person.  And that is not okay. That is why I think Ji Pyeong has to have a lot of growing up to do too.  And unlike Do San who is willing to be schooled (and he now knows how potentially damaging it is to be loved under a pretense), me thinks he's confident that he doesn't need anything from anyone and isn't really missing anything in life.(Ji Pyeong bruh, you are in for some rude awakening, I tell yah.)

With all that being said,  I like Ji Pyeong (agree, omogosh that dimples lol) but it seems like his character was already all fleshed out with his backstory and everything (he's at the top of his game, the height of his career so with the exception of love, family and friends, there is nothing he lacks) but Do San's is still unfolding.  Yes we had a glimpse of his character, his family and his aspirations but I think it's just the tip of the iceberg.  Which makes him at the same boat with Dal Mi, plucky and earnest, a late bloomer, whom he can relate to.  Also him choosing her over In Jae at the end of EPI 4, in my opinion, had little to do with him liking her because just as when he huddled with the two Sans, he sensed that Dal Mi is willing to work WITH them for a common goal and not over them.  In Jae can potentially just boss them around like her employees while Dal Mi will work at their level.  Investing doesn't only mean money for a business but it could mean investing on a person as well, taking a leap.  As aptly said in one of the post, the handshake in the end had a special meaning, they are both willing to invest on each other and take the risk. If I remember (yikes business school ugh) correctly, in order for a business to flourish, certain risks are necessary, in fact, you won't maximize your returns by being safe, you have to be willing to lose sight of the shore in order to discover new oceans, so to speak. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2

I love both male leads even though this was my first time watching their drama, i only know Suzy. I choose this drama not because of the casts, it's because of the start up storyline that has an encouraging message for an entrepreneurial spirit.

I love the ending part of the EP4 at the sandbox CEO recruitment scene, the catch is here : either NDS and his team recruit CEO, or the CEO recruits them, the different is what is the level of sincerity and respect when asking for an invitation to recruit people for joining their team? It is so obvious not to use any emotional to judge the sentence? It is a level of respect, humble and sincerity.  In Jae is too proud and thus loses the chance. She used the wrong approach that "CEO to recruit them", making her image as CEO, higher ranking than the rest, while SDM's approach is more in a humble way, "Would you recruit me as your CEO?". A successful serial entrepreneur reminds us to be humble at all time.  i must give applause to the writer by using this script for the CEO recruitment scene.

Until now, HJP has given me a very good impression, both men have their own strengths and weaknesses. HJP can be a good mentor to NDS if they continue to work together. NDS has engineering background but lack of confident, and certainly he needs a good CEO to help him run the business, like SDM who has strong people skills (see how she helped her previous company improving great sales at the cafe).

HJP's generosity and kind heart to pay back the debt is almost unconditional since the grandma did not accept his money. He has a soft spot. I even like the teenage guy who acted for HJP younger version. 

These two guys for sure will be helping SDM to fulfill her dream no matter how. Following your dreams is usually easier said than done. The following Ep will surely cover some of their challenges ahead, such as money, finding the right people to invest, planning and drawing up a good business model, and time management, competing with others, technology software code get leakup, etc.

Competition between sisters is normal and in the eyes of Sandbox is required and unavoidable. A united team work will be formed for NDS and SDM with the help by HJP. "Talent wins games, but the teamwork and intelligent skills win championships" - despite the loveline that may cause the hindrance of the progress, they should have the ability to work together toward their common vision and mission.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 4

I'm putting my faith in the writer that she will end their stories in an unconventional way and I cheer for them all.

About Injae.  I like that she is capable, qualified and self motivated when compared with Dal Mi who has no clear vision of her company yet.  Her motivation for the new company is to prove to her father she can succeed on her own.  Plus she is a good boss for allowing her employees to flex their working hours and work at home.  I think Do San will be proven wrong for doubting how In Jae would value them as developers.  That is part of the growing Do San has to learn in judging people objectively.  I did question In Jae's motive when approaching Do San cuz each team can only have five people so I am certain she will have to break up the trio in the process. I don't think In Jae has a problem separating personal and professional choices in business dealings.  In Jae's approach differs from Do San who puts more emphasis on human relationship.  This is why I am not sure if Injae is a good fit as a CEO for Samsan. What I like about Injae is that she very astute.  Despite choosing to stay with her mom to avoid future heartbreaks, she still appreciates her father's kindness; even misses his warm and kind disposition.   Deep down, she remembers about her father's sand box.  I think In Jae has not made peace with her decision that day; perhaps regretting it more than she can admit.  I hope she and Dal Mi will mend their relationships in the end, forsaking their pride over the choices made, since InJae really does still care about her sister.

Jin Pyeong is a hero up to this point.  He lives up to the good boy name and really, the things he have done for Dal Mi needed to be acknowledged and appreciated by her.  They have a deep connection through the letters.  That was clearly missing between Dalmi/Dosan by Dal Mi's reactions after the bday date.  She tapped her heart a little ruefully, disappointed that it didn't flutter the way she imagined it would from the letters.  Do San's more into her than she into him at this point.  The feelings are far from mutual.  If Jin Pyeong confessed his feelings right now (...as in episode 5 preview), it may happen.  But he won't because he hasn't consider the need to include Dal Mi in his life.  Jin Pyeong mentioned before that his life seems complete - a secure high paying job, a nice car and home, a 100% success rate as a VC.  She is an unknown variable that he hasn't configure risk for.  I agree with @UPSGirl that Jin Pyeong's fear of falling in love is the loss of control in his life.  A big part of this denial is Jin Pyeong not knowing how to give and receive love or even maintaining genuine relationship since he has been alone for most of his life.  I don't think he is ready for love.  His denial is real.  It's about timing like everyone said.

So true. This quote.

What's ordinary to one person can be extraordinary to another.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

Really enjoyed reading all your posts, especially key takeaways like how the issue with timing is probably the driving force behind what will happen in this story.  Particularly enjoyed reading the juxtaposition of HJP and NDS characters and I think it's quite spot on.  HJP appears more mature but is emotionally unavailable and inexperienced much like NDS.  Never mind the fact that I do root for HJP over NDS at this point, I think it must be remembered that NDS did get pretty lucky - without HJP he would not (a) meet Dal-mi (and impress her) and (b) be mentored career-wise.  Samson Tech was gonna do some pretty stupid things i.e. give away their code to VC imposters.  His happy ending will no doubt be partially attributed to HJP as his 'angel' - pun intended!

Didn't quite finish episode 4 and I think I will wait a few weeks to see how it goes - like someone said earlier, I think the tragedy of the second lead not getting the girl here, when it was actually his character that she fell in love with in the first place, is pretty sad.  I can't bear to witness how hurt he'd be lol.  It's not a regular love triangle; it's one premised on a misunderstanding of mistaken identity *face palms*

On a totally different note, I agree with the opinion that Suzy's character is really being under utilized.  I see her as a girl who misses her penpal and all, but wish by this episode we'd know more about how she fits into the start up world.  Does she code/is she a developer?  Is she a business strategist..?  The scene where she sits in her room with a pen and talks to her grandma about business ideas, was she doing anything else??  Maybe I should watch til the end of eps 4 to get an answer, but would have loved to see a flashback scene when she was young finding notes belonging to her Dad with rough sketches of a business plan and her working all these years to make that business come into fruition... something like that.

• Like 1

@blue_fleurs maybe you should watch till the end of EP4, excluding the ep5 preview. Things that you loved to see is there in EP4, tho slightly different. The end of EP4 feels like a proper end instead of cliffs hangers that we usually get in Kdramas. 1 of the 2 lies now busted. SDM didn't get angry. she was thankful instead. so no one got dumped yet.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, UPSGirl said:

I was under the impression that the penpal persona was both created by the grandma and Ji Pyeong (or I'd go out on a limb here and say, 3/4 Ji Pyeong even, but the point is the penpal Do San persona is entirely conjured both out of their imagination) so the character that Dal Mi fell in love with was fairly non-existent.  Personally I don't think Ji Pyeong is killing it at the maturity department either.  In fact, he isn't better than Do San, whose thought patterns are often dictated by logic (@bedifferent makes an excellent point at that) and is emotionally impaired, I find it hilarious how he sent those girls running for the hills because all he talks about are mathematical equations.  Everything is freaking about equations, algorithms and formulas (yawn). Could be that all he does is study? which made him a dull boy, his emotional IQ lacking.  Lmao.  And Ji Pyeong? He's never had anyone to look up to for emotional support either (except for grandma but alas that was short-lived), since he never had to rely on anyone, nor wanting to be indebted at all (he said that), I can see him being detached and always on guard.  That is why he is so quick to deny his feelings, hah! He doesn't want to be vulnerable in front of others and someone who'd always want to be in control.  The fact is, there are things that he can't, i.e, keeping someone from getting hurt.  Nothing good comes from false pretenses even in the best intentions. No matter how you put it, you are still deceiving a person.  And that is not okay. That is why I think Ji Pyeong has to have a lot of growing up to do too.  And unlike Do San who is willing to be schooled (and he now knows how potentially damaging it is to be loved under a pretense), me thinks he's confident that he doesn't need anything from anyone and isn't really missing anything in life.(Ji Pyeong bruh, you are in for some rude awakening, I tell yah.)

With all that being said,  I like Ji Pyeong (agree, omogosh that dimples lol) but it seems like his character was already all fleshed out with his backstory and everything (he's at the top of his game, the height of his career so with the exception of love, family and friends, there is nothing he lacks) but Do San's is still unfolding.  Yes we had a glimpse of his character, his family and his aspirations but I think it's just the tip of the iceberg.  Which makes him at the same boat with Dal Mi, plucky and earnest, a late bloomer, whom he can relate to.  Also him choosing her over In Jae at the end of EPI 4, in my opinion, had little to do with him liking her because just as when he huddled with the two Sans, he sensed that Dal Mi is willing to work WITH them for a common goal and not over them.  In Jae can potentially just boss them around like her employees while Dal Mi will work at their level.  Investing doesn't only mean money for a business but it could mean investing on a person as well, taking a leap.  As aptly said in one of the post, the handshake in the end had a special meaning, they are both willing to invest on each other and take the risk. If I remember (yikes business school ugh) correctly, in order for a business to flourish, certain risks are necessary, in fact, you won't maximize your returns by being safe, you have to be willing to lose sight of the shore in order to discover new oceans, so to speak. 

Agree with what you say !

But, at first it was Grandma and Ji Pyeong both who was in the whole scam, but then Grandma stopped caring because whatever Ji Pyeong was writing was making Dal Mi happy. And she was content with that. So she didn’t continue to help him with the letter writing because he obviously started to take initiative and make progress with Dal Mi. It was his thoughts, his birthday wishes and his ideas that made Dal Mi fall in love. Strictly speaking, you don’t necessarily have to fall in love with your pen pal, but, Dal Mi fell for him because of his words which reached her. She wanted a friend, he gave her more than that. And that’s why she fell for him. But Do San is just a disguise of her beloved pen pal. Even if the name is same, she will have different feelings for him because what she doesn’t know is that they are two different people, both of who are in her life now.

I don’t understand why Ji Pyeong and Halmoni wanted to continue with the misunderstanding because didn’t Dal Mi say that she knew grandma had to do something with the letters? Plus if she saw the handwriting she would kinda know. I don’t know about Korean handwriting but in English it’s kinda easy to know who has written what, like the flow and pace of the handwriting, and which hand they’re using to write etc. Sorry, I am good at handwriting so I know these things. Not flexing, just saying. They could’ve nipped it at the bud by introducing Ji Pyeong as the “Do San” she wrote to without trying to find a person to fit the name.

This is basically the story of Cyrano, if you haven’t read it, you can read it at this link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrano_de_Bergerac_(play)

People who negatively criticize Suzy's acting, I just don't get it anymore, like really. Her acting is clearly good here.

Maybe it's just the writing of her character that you don't like, not her acting. People often confuse "acting" with "character", so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here. (and I know a lot of K Drama fans often prefer the RickRoll'D, badass, rich and fashionable type of female lead in dramas^^)

Or maybe you just have too much prejudices towards her that you can't see her good acting, no matter what...

Anyway, Dalmi is my favorite character from the drama (along with her grandmother) although her character is not yet well utilized and Suzy does really a good job, so far. I just want her character to be better utilized, tho. The love triangle doesn't really interest me, but it seems that the next episodes will be more interesting.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@AjummaF4 as long as you aren’t biased over any actors acting skills - its just a perfect package so far ! 
Perfect writing !
Worth watching ! 

(And I hope the writer will not disappoint us and let the story unfold rather more interestingly )

@mrsj3n 

@madmad min @Nikaa94 @vangsweetie637 @Sakurafairy @gtLmh0622 @Edgar Pordwed @msdot @CallieP @Ameera Ali @Heretorant

@scrawford@Joanna Alfson@leeminhosny@ms_inquiry@YongZura⁷ᴮᴱ @Deepakmahajan@briseis 

(my king eternal monarch squads keke) plz take a look at this drama and let us know your opinion !

looking forward to you all !

But in case if you don't find it interesting ignore my post !

with love !

FlawedWarmheartedGoitered-small.gif

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Wiggle 1

I never met someone like NDS in real life, someone who give honest-innocent answer, nagging about logics, etc... i want to meet one because i am very curious how would i react if i do found someone like him. Would i be bored and left like all those girls who change their mind to not joining the knitting club, or i will be amuse by him. My Nam Do San, where are you? xD

• Like 4
  • Love 1