[Drama 2020] Startup (Sandbox), 스타트업

wildcherry

Finally! After 15 Ep the triangle ends.

Now after 3 years, we can say that JP is play safe kind of guy and DS is the adventurous type. I prefer the later!

well, it kinda remind me of the time when I did my solo traveling for the first time. I plan it in detail, to be safe "sailing with a map". but on the 3rd day, I plan it to be a rest day, but I don't feel tired yet. so I just wonder around to fill the time. to my surprise, I discovered things that I could never plan. it was so much more fun that way. since that, I always plan loosely so that I can "sail without a map".

I agree with Do San that it will be much more fun that way.

Nice to see Chul San and Sa Ha becomes a couple too! Chul San looks cute when he is jealous.

• Like 8
  • Awesome 1

With that hands you beat our memories. Remember what yong san said about bill gates quotes,life is unfair,get used to it,and thats what jipyeong did in this eps. He knows and admitted that. The naratives goes as dalmi need to go to this side because hes better but theres no naratives that dalmi can choose. She choose dosan and thats it. Well its unfair to jipyeong but hes not the only ones,theres second lead one sided love that have same story. The scenes when jipyeong said its uncomfortable to see dalmi again with all this,i know dalmi maybe felt sorry but thats it,its better not to be pity by someone who doesnt feel the same way as you. So i think jipyeong made a good decision.

i eps more and i felt im gonna miss this squad.

samsan tech,they started from the bottom and now they are living their dreams.

EoeyI0eU0AAF-Pw?format=jpg&name=large

EoeyI0gUUAIZsFX?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 7

This episode today reminded me again of why I loved this show. Honestly, I started out liking JP because of how the show set it up at the beginning with his backstory, and let’s not forget that he will always have the advantage of the backstory like DS said. And I continuously loved his interactions with DM’s family too. However, along the way DS stole my heart, with his sheer determination to fight for the person he loves. DM gave him a reason to do what he was and is doing, and DS gave DM the courage to do everything she was and is now doing. Taking away the letters, their relationship is built on solid trust and love for each other. 

Today’s episode also brought back many great JP moments. With the exception of his pettiness in the elevator where he intentionally insinuated and instigated again (honestly, I don’t think that such actions are okay), he truly opened his heart slowly again. I loved his interactions with DS’s family, and it reminded us that JP’s role in this show is, IMO, not about “getting the girl”, but about finding love in a family that he never had. That the show constantly demonstrates DM’s family showering love upon him, and today DS’s family, shows that JP’s happiness is first familial love that he needs and wants. Today’s episode also reminded me of why I loved the JP in the earlier episodes, and why KSH is a convincing actor. 

Honestly, the way some people put down DS so badly and put JP on a pedestal and cry foul each time the show “mistreats” JP was why I found it so hard to empathize with JP anymore midway through the show. I’ve read so many mean things said abt DS (or even implicitly NJH) that things just didn’t feel right anymore. People talk as though this is a real life show, and get so worked up to the point of discrediting other actors and the writer. I believe it truly marred what would have been a pleasant experience for many who just wanted to enjoy the show. (Like some, I wish I had not read comments and just watched the show in isolation of discussions, but alas part of the fun is in the discussion - just totally didn’t expect people to get so worked up and put others down!)

Im really glad we saw some bromance between DS and JP in this episode because those scenes were truly heartwarming. 

I do feel that DM’s growth arc is probably the least after the time jump though, there’s still a lot of hesitation in her. But with DS and JP, you see the former gaining so much more confidence and is a lot more calmer in handling challenges, while JP is more lighthearted and vulnerable now. Kudos to NJH too who played a very convincingly different NDS 2.0, you could definitely see the difference in micro expressions and mannerisms. 

All in all, I feel that all actors did really well, and shipping wars aside I’m sure they enjoyed the whole filming process, so here’s hoping that they all move on to greater projects from now onwards! 

As for the shows by the writer, I still feel that ICHYV and Pinocchio were her masterpieces. This show is probably at par with WYWS. SU has a more interesting and realistic storyline, while WYWS was somewhat more of a fantasy procedural which was slightly lacking in storytelling strength. However, I definitely felt more warmth and calmness from WYWS (perhaps due to the lack of fanwars and dragged love triangle lol). 

Can’t wait for the last episode tomorrow! 

• Like 12
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 4

I could hardly focus during episode 15 because JP looks illegally good with his hair up.. Thank you stylists for blessing us with forehead JP. :heart3:

I don’t know what got into me this episode, but when JP and DS were drinking and JP was about to give a try at opening the plum wine jar lid, I almost expected him to say “if I open this, we’re dating.” :criesariver:I don’t actually ship them romantically, but I really wish they would be friends! It was nice to see them not arguing or trying to outdo one another in front of DM and having a heart to heart over the wine instead. I feel like they really do have good chemistry.. If they got along, they would be able to do great things.. I think they would enjoy each other’s company.. It’s been such a useless, pathetic fight over DM. I’m sooo relieved it’s over.  

The checkered pajamas scene was so adorable.. Samsan Tech? Nah! Samsan CHECK! Check, check, check! And I melted when DS asked his mother if they had kongjaban so he could pack some for JP. It’s such a small act of kindness, but it truly speaks volumes about DS’s character. Before JP told DS to think carefully about who DM really likes, DS was still under the impression that the one in DM’s heart was still her first love and the writer of the letters, JP, but rather than simply resent JP, in the end, DS still wanted to show JP kindness. JP’s reactions of disbelief and frustration indicated three things to me - one, he was having troubling accepting and understanding that someone he butt heads with was being kind to him. Two, he thinks it’s strange to be so kind a rival you don’t get along with. Three, he dislikes having to accept that his rival is not a bad guy because it makes it harder for him to accept the outcome of the love triangle situation. If DS was a jerk, it might be easier for JP to accept his loss since he can reframe it as DM’s foolish mistake; however, since DS isn’t a major jerk, he has to accept that DM simply doesn’t love him and loves someone else instead, even though he and DM share a meaningful past.  

Although I find Won Deok Halmeoni and DM’s mom’s mended relationship somewhat unbelievable, it’s been incredibly heartwarming to see. I’m loving DM’s mom’s character development! The glee on her face when she went to the real estate office to open a new corn dog shop for Halmeoni put a smile on MY face. Despite Halmeoni’s complaints and protests, the corn dog shop will probably be the perfect cure for her listlessness and numbness about life. We can already see her perking up! :wub:

In Jae’s former step father is such trash! Even though In Jae and her mother have cut ties with him, he’s still after them to get his revenge. Can he and his slimy son go away forever already? I despise seeing the two of them scheming to hurt In Jae, Dal Mi and Cheongmyeong Company. Well, at least the actors are doing a great job at putting on a despicable act I guess.  

Chul San and Sa Ha are finally official! I totally knew Chul San wasn’t going to be able to keep his jealousy to himself.. He’s come a long way since episode 1 and none of his growth happened overnight.. I’m sure he’ll learn..I hope! I felt bad for his keyboard. :lol:

I’m really looking forward to the final episode. I’m really hoping to see DS and JP become friends, but I won’t be too disappointed if it doesn’t happen because JP definitely needs time to heal. And the hackers behind the ransomware incident are definitely the twins, right? Apollon and Artemis are twins from Greek mythology. The hint can’t be any more obvious, right? I absolutely need the twins to reap the consequences of their evil deeds in the last episode! :angry:

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

“Why did DS want to keep the letters?”

Because at that point he was still hung up about the fact that DM mentioned them when he asked her earlier on why she liked him.  He was insecure in her love for him. Metaphorically, he was clinging onto them in the vain hope that if he read them often enough, he would be able to embody them in himself...become the DS of the letters so that he could solidify his place in her heart.  That was what he thought.

So yes JP did him a favour by taking those letters - telling him that DS didn’t need them as a crutch, the real DS (just as he is) was more than enough for DM.  I liked how both men (in their drunken state - in vino veritas) talked it out - man to man.  And we were right about JP.  His greatest need was one of family.  

But DS needed to hear it from DM herself.  That she loved him for who he was.  Not the figment of her imagination all those years ago.  And she verified it - finally :lol:.  Closing the chapter on those letters (which served their purpose back when she needed it).  

• Like 11
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, peachfuzz said:

don’t actually ship them romantically, but I really wish they would be friends! It was nice to see them not arguing or trying to outdo one another in front of DM and having a heart to heart over the wine instead. I feel like they really do have good chemistry.. If they got along, they would be able to do great things.. I think they would enjoy each other’s company.. It’s been such a useless, pathetic fight over DM

I so agree! This is why the dragged out love triangle is bad, we mostly knew it's Dodal endgame but having JP being in pain until the last ep is too much! I guess as JP said to DM- his feeling is genuine and he will need to take all the time he can get to heal!  I am disappointed that the writer did not let DM/DS resolved their own problem (the two of them have never wavered in their feelings and are quite straightforward people) but instead the burden was on JP! I feel like if DM has come to JP and said to him that she is sorry she can't return his feeling, JP would concede! The guy all along already feels like he is not in the running but still has to play matchmaker one last time? I got a little frustrated at the situation! Well, at least we know JP is welcomed even with DS's family. I hope we can see him getting healed in the last ep and maybe even some of the earlier bromance moments!
I am happy for Chulsan-Saha (love the new OST in their kiss scene, well Start up has so many good OST). And Injae, the girl needs to reunite with her family!!!! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nrllee said:

“Why did DS want to keep the letters?”

May I add?  :D  I thought the letter was meaningful to Dosan in many ways despite the fact that he was not the intended recipient.  I totally understand many viewers' disapproval since Jipyeong has the right to have it back.

Let's see, in the letter, Dalmi wrote

Dosan, you're my pretty music box. I bet you have a lovely melody. I'm sure of it.  

Sadly, Dosan actually read the letter as if it was addressed to him by Dalmi.  At this point, Dosan believed he has lost.  Even accepting that she loves another man, he kept her words as a reminder that he could be the good person that she is sure of in the letter.   For Dosan, despite believing he lacks in many ways to Jipyeong, this letter gave him strength to strive to be the letter recipient Dosan. These words bring some comfort and inspire him to be a good person.

It's only right that the letter returns to Jipyeong.  He who started the ruse now ends it.  Dosan needs to recognize that he can be important to Dalmi apart from the false narrative that lead them to meet so I am glad Jipyeong was more than gracious to remind Dosan of his character and worth.  It's a wonderfully written arc for Jipyeong, I cannot love him more in this episode.  Jipyeong has come a long way from being the person who doubts SST's potential to one who believes in Dosan. @peachfuzzwrote a wonderful post up there about Jipyeong conceding.  Thank you.  More than anything, Jipyeong has been struggling with the "good boy" tag by halmoni. In business, he realizes he needs to make difficult decisions that cannot be handled with niceties.  To be a good mentor, his advices have to be sound more than sugar coated. To survive and succeed, he cannot err and play nice to the competition.  Yet, he carried to heart the lesson on trust, honor, and generosity from halmoni. That lesson paid forward many times for Dalmi and now Dosan.  I know it is a tough and perhaps unfair road for Jipyeong.  I admire him more for staying on the honorable path despite having to accept loss.  As a good business man, he could have made many more maneuver to change the situation but he is a good person to recognize that he needs to do the right thing.  He will live a long happy life for carrying others' misfortune and pain!  He needs his own spin off!

• Like 7
  • Love 4

Yeah, I think that specific letter with the music box meant a lot to Dosan as @bedifferent has explained. I thought an interesting analogy would be the girl on the swing. Throughout the drama, I thought even though the girl on the swing is obviously DM, but it's actually Injae who spends more time contemplate about it. What does it mean to be the girl on the swing? What direction she wanna head with her life? IJ might not be exactly that girl, but she understands that girl symbolism, probably even more than DM. I thought Dalmi's letter has spoken to DS in the same way, helping him found the direction of his life!

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

May I add?  :D  I thought the letter was meaningful to Dosan in many ways despite the fact that he was not the intended recipient.  I totally understand many viewers' disapproval since Jipyeong has the right to have it back.

Agree with you in some sense, but also I have a diff perspective! :) Not saying that he was right or should keep the letters, but I saw it in a slightly different context hehe. He was ready to return it already but after reading it he garnered whatever little strength and courage left. I personally think that the reason why he wanted to keep the letters was because it was what’s (physically) remaining of Dal Mi that he had. At this point, I believe he still believed that HJP and SDM are together (because neither of them ever clarified to him their status after HJP made the false insinuation in the elevator, on 2 occasions - 1 of them being the latest episode about asking Halmeoni to prepare food for him). And you could see that when HJP insinuated in the elevator in yesterday’s episode again, DS was clearly uncomfortable but he did not react, and after the elevator was fixed he just left them both and walked out (probably conceding that they are together). Hence, my take is that he wasn’t doing it to try to be the Do San in the letters by keeping them, but instead those were items that allowed him to see into Dalmi’s young heart and feelings and he felt like that was all he has after he thought the two had moved on to their new “relationship”. 

Do I think JP’s character is pitiful here and easy to empathize? Definitely, but love is not about sympathy either. DS had his own journey, and he stood up and supported DM through and through, and his action and words were always in tandem.

JP’s character resonated with so many viewers because they saw his backstory and everything from his POV as per how the writer unfolded the story, but as a character, Dal Mi saw, heard, and felt Do San’s love through their whole growth journey. What JP was going through was hidden from DM’s perspective, but the writer did not intend for DM to go out of her way to find out more about JP’s story either. And that’s probably because DM had fallen in love with the real DS, and not the DS of her memory. 

One flaw I noted of this show though, is that Dal Mi has not been very expressive (verbally) when it comes to love. She loves whole heartedly, but I too didn’t like that fact that she wasn’t very upfront to JP about what she felt and what she wanted to do with the situation. DS was largely the one trying to make amends, while she was playing a “recipient” role for the most part of both men’s love. In this case, her silence and not addressing issues with JP (or DS after he came back from US) was definitely not helpful for both. I for one must say that her first answer when DS asked her why she loved him, and she just said “I don’t know, why do you keep asking me this”, was quite perplexing. And I think that’s also the character that she’s carried with her in how she faced JP and how she faces certain challenges at work. 

However it reminds me that we are seeing deeply flawed and imperfect characters in this show, which is quite a far cry from the usual kdramas which, even if they show flaws, they bandaid it with heroic actions or cute romantic fluff or a backstory which gives a free pass to any actions to make viewers find it endearing. But here, we see deep imperfections in our characters: Dosan with his low self esteem and lack of ambition (his old self, his new is just a 180 degree transformation), DM with her brash competitiveness (against her sis) and also lack of self confidence to tackle difficult situations head-on, and JP with his pettiness and brutal communication style. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 6